Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ha 18:17 - Apr 1 with 2010 viewsGuthrum

Scotland/Wales/Ukraine!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ha on 18:31 - Apr 1 with 1961 viewsIllinoisblue

Ours is the hardest group based on average FIFA ranking of the four teams in each group

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Ha on 18:34 - Apr 1 with 1952 viewsKeno

I think Scotland and Wales should stand aside and let Ukraine qualify

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Ha on 18:35 - Apr 1 with 1944 viewsDarth_Koont

Ha on 18:34 - Apr 1 by Keno

I think England should.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ha on 18:45 - Apr 1 with 1917 viewsEastTownBlue

An excellent policy, Boris.
Ha on 18:58 - Apr 1 with 1877 viewsFtnfwest

Come on Ukraine
Ha on 19:11 - Apr 1 with 1853 viewsKeno

Ha on 18:31 - Apr 1 by Illinoisblue

Ours is the hardest group based on average FIFA ranking of the four teams in each group

Hardly surprising, there are 7 teams in it

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Ha on 19:15 - Apr 1 with 1843 viewsRyorry

FIFA should seriously have looked at some way of guaranteeing Ukraine a place without it meaning auto-excluding another nation (don't ask me how it could be done tho!).
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 19:15]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ha on 21:29 - Apr 1 with 1737 viewsgainsboroughblue

Wales, Ukraine and Scotland have been a bit stitched up by world events over this draw really. I know its a small thing in the context of current events but they've been placed in pot 4 and will automatically be in a tough group.
Portugal, who scrambled through the play offs were in pot 1 on the basis of their world ranking. Wales for instance would be in pot 2 had they been able to have played and won their play off final.

Edit. On thinking more about it, they may have been in pot 3 but my point kind of stands
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 21:31]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Ha on 21:46 - Apr 1 with 1692 viewsDarth_Koont

Ha on 19:15 - Apr 1 by Ryorry

FIFA should seriously have looked at some way of guaranteeing Ukraine a place without it meaning auto-excluding another nation (don't ask me how it could be done tho!).

I spoke to a Nigerian doctor today who works with sickle cell anaemia outreach projects in rural Nigeria. His everyday and that of the patients he treats is frankly shocking by our standards. And that’s just one threat facing them amongst many.

As terrible as war is, and the trauma and deaths of Ukrainian civilians is horrific and unacceptable, let’s not highlight our priorities quite so blatantly just because suffering is on our doorstep for once.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ha on 21:58 - Apr 1 with 1661 viewsRyorry

Ha on 21:46 - Apr 1 by Darth_Koont

I spoke to a Nigerian doctor today who works with sickle cell anaemia outreach projects in rural Nigeria. His everyday and that of the patients he treats is frankly shocking by our standards. And that’s just one threat facing them amongst many.

As terrible as war is, and the trauma and deaths of Ukrainian civilians is horrific and unacceptable, let’s not highlight our priorities quite so blatantly just because suffering is on our doorstep for once.

Eh?

Ukraine was/is potentially still in the pot, unlike Nigeria. That's why others raised the issue & I responded to them.

Ha on 22:01 - Apr 1 with 1652 viewsjeera

Ha on 18:35 - Apr 1 by Darth_Koont

I think England should.

Oi.

You have your egg-chasing and the other thing with the little ball and the sticks.

At least leave the football for us.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ha on 22:09 - Apr 1 with 1628 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ha on 18:45 - Apr 1 by EastTownBlue

An excellent policy, Boris.

Good luck to England and any other of the home nations that are still in it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ha on 22:19 - Apr 1 with 1614 viewsSwansea_Blue

The obvious clean way would have been had Russia qualified. They could have swapped them and that would have been fair and appropriate. I don’t think bumping another nation is, however much we’re feeling for them now.

Purely from a football perspective, I’m hoping Scotland beat them. That creates a home national playoff final and a home nations tie in the WC. Far more exciting matches.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ha on 22:33 - Apr 1 with 1575 viewsRyorry

Ha on 22:19 - Apr 1 by Swansea_Blue

The obvious clean way would have been had Russia qualified. They could have swapped them and that would have been fair and appropriate. I don’t think bumping another nation is, however much we’re feeling for them now.

Purely from a football perspective, I’m hoping Scotland beat them. That creates a home national playoff final and a home nations tie in the WC. Far more exciting matches.

Weren't Russia disqualified because of invading Ukraine? or would they not have qualified anyway?

Obviously Ukraine *might* have been able to qualify in normal circumstances, but are unable to think about football, let alone train/practice currently, which is why people are particularly sympathetic to their path being smoothed I think.

Ha on 22:42 - Apr 1 with 1537 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ha on 22:33 - Apr 1 by Ryorry

Weren't Russia disqualified because of invading Ukraine? or would they not have qualified anyway?

Obviously Ukraine *might* have been able to qualify in normal circumstances, but are unable to think about football, let alone train/practice currently, which is why people are particularly sympathetic to their path being smoothed I think.

The easiest solution would be that if Ukraine are able to compete, they are placed into a group that becomes 5 teams. 4 extra group matches to be scheduled so would have to be one of the groups playing in the first 2 days. Would mean 1 team from that group would not play in each rotation and there would be 3 teams miss out on getting through instead of 2. The likelihood is that Ukraine would be one of those 3 teams but they would have been able to be part of the experience.

Ha on 23:12 - Apr 1 with 1504 viewsRyorry

Ha on 22:42 - Apr 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

The easiest solution would be that if Ukraine are able to compete, they are placed into a group that becomes 5 teams. 4 extra group matches to be scheduled so would have to be one of the groups playing in the first 2 days. Would mean 1 team from that group would not play in each rotation and there would be 3 teams miss out on getting through instead of 2. The likelihood is that Ukraine would be one of those 3 teams but they would have been able to be part of the experience.

Well done on getting your head round the practicalities & the maths! 👍

Yes, that would seem a good way of managing it, and as you say, Ukrainians feeling able to be part of the experience would be a huge psychological boost for them even now, albeit the situation re the war may have changed by the time the play-offs were re-sceduled for (July? I think).

Ha on 06:07 - Apr 2 with 1379 viewsBigCommon

This could not be sweeter.. No offence to any Scots or Welsh. But given the way their fans generally despise the England team and their supporters... I have a legit reason to cheer against them, in the play off games. At least once against Scotland..... And the way the Welsh lads acted when we lost to Iceland in The Euros 2016... It would be an absolute gift from heaven, if Ukraine pipped them to WC qualification.... Come on you craines (I think).
Ha on 11:30 - Apr 2 with 1234 viewsJ2BLUE

No they shouldn't.

I doubt the Ukrainians want pity. They want us to help them end the war and then their team will be able to go and earn it on the pitch which i'm sure they would much prefer than some pity bye.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's suggested with the best of intentions but if the war is ongoing then giving them a bye to the finals is not going to help. The world needs to be taking as much action as possible against Russia to end this war and then Ukraine can go to Hampton Park and potentially on to Cardiff for a real celebration and fair game.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ha on 11:49 - Apr 2 with 1214 viewsRyorry

Ha on 11:30 - Apr 2 by J2BLUE

No they shouldn't.

I doubt the Ukrainians want pity. They want us to help them end the war and then their team will be able to go and earn it on the pitch which i'm sure they would much prefer than some pity bye.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's suggested with the best of intentions but if the war is ongoing then giving them a bye to the finals is not going to help. The world needs to be taking as much action as possible against Russia to end this war and then Ukraine can go to Hampton Park and potentially on to Cardiff for a real celebration and fair game.

It's not a question of "pity", that's not what I'm saying at all.

The fact is that they still had the possibility of qualifying by playing - until their country was invaded by Russia, when that possibility was taken away from them until the war ends, and even then their young men aren't exactly going to be match-ready.

It's possible I'm not putting this very well!

Ha on 12:25 - Apr 2 with 1169 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ha on 11:30 - Apr 2 by J2BLUE

No they shouldn't.

I was thinking of it more as a case of if they are unable to take part in the play-offs but are available to play in the tournament itself. The ideal scenario is as you suggest that they play the matches they are supposed to. The possibility that they cannot but then can in November is not especially high in my thoughts. But that was the scenario I was suggesting. Allowing them not to have missed out purely because of the invasion.

Ha on 12:33 - Apr 2 with 1161 viewsJ2BLUE

Ha on 12:25 - Apr 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I was thinking of it more as a case of if they are unable to take part in the play-offs but are available to play in the tournament itself. The ideal scenario is as you suggest that they play the matches they are supposed to. The possibility that they cannot but then can in November is not especially high in my thoughts. But that was the scenario I was suggesting. Allowing them not to have missed out purely because of the invasion.

Yea, you and Ryorry make a good point. I didn't look at it like that but it makes sense.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024