Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today 02:14 - Apr 3 with 797 viewshatch

Not criticising McKenna for that, or even Carroll. It no doubt had rationale behind it but Carroll looked devoid of any confidence and this may be an exaggeration but it seemed like 80% of his passes were misplaced/intercepted. He stood out in the first half as being off the pace and CM is not a position that can allow average performances.

Left the ground about 6pm and saw him leaving in the most statement car of all the players, a Merc G-wagon, and couldn’t help but think it was the antithesis of how little of a statement player he was for us (and has been).

Seems a reasonable enough bloke so not trying to slate him, just so disappointed by the impact his underperformance had today.
Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 03:40 - Apr 3 with 762 viewsIllinoisblue

He was pretty terrible today but, crucially, it wasn’t only him. Thompson, the few times he did get forward seemed unsure of what to do next and ended up putting in balls behind our players. Burns and JD never really got going. Celina struggled to do anything of note. Norwood looked the limited player we all know he is, except for that one long pass from Wolf which he controlled beautifully. Chaplin anonymous.

You can’t carry six outfield players playing like sheeite and get away with it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 07:19 - Apr 3 with 656 viewsPioneerBlue

With the run we’ve had over last few months and the rotation we’ve done there is always a chance it will not happen on the pitch, there has been little margin for more dropped points.

Cambridge got it right and we didn’t respond quickly enough to their shape first half. In the second half, we conceded, lost our heads then lost the game.

I agree. Bakinson over Carroll is an obvious place to look. I’m not knocking Carroll, it wasn’t the game for him. Norwood was not very good either. Thompson was overrun most of the game.

Issue here is while we talk of defenders and midfielders, we don’t carry much of a set price threat which is key in tight games like this. Nor do we have the Striker/s with pace to pull defenders around, nor with control to take the ball in tight spaces, nor with the desire to shoot in the box on the turn.

Very disappointing all round but this game might be one of those to have at least crystallised some tools we don’t have but need for next season.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 08:36 - Apr 3 with 561 viewsRegencyBlue

Clearly McKenna had some idea in mind by starting Carroll but it was obvious from the start it wasn’t working.

I was amazed he wasn’t subbed at half time.
Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 08:57 - Apr 3 with 528 viewsfranz_tyson

Would Bakinson over Carroll make us more of a goal threat? Not sure, even if Carroll was the wrong decision. I don't think it would have made too much difference. We've seen we have problems scoring in previous matches so this is a continuation of that trend but where we fail to get that one goal and happen to concede one. We play the fine lines pretty well, but if it doesn't go quite plan we end up drawing or losing.
Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 09:01 - Apr 3 with 517 viewsFrimleyBlue

Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 08:57 - Apr 3 by franz_tyson

Would Bakinson over Carroll make us more of a goal threat? Not sure, even if Carroll was the wrong decision. I don't think it would have made too much difference. We've seen we have problems scoring in previous matches so this is a continuation of that trend but where we fail to get that one goal and happen to concede one. We play the fine lines pretty well, but if it doesn't go quite plan we end up drawing or losing.

It's not really about Bakinson creating that we missed, it was his directness His first thought is getting the ball forward resulting in town putting pressure on Cambridge.

Carrolls first thought however appears to be "how do I slow things down"

It unfortunately set the pace of our game, slow, pedestrian let alone the number of times he failed to pass to a blue shirt.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 09:09 - Apr 3 with 497 viewsfranz_tyson

Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 09:01 - Apr 3 by FrimleyBlue

It's not really about Bakinson creating that we missed, it was his directness His first thought is getting the ball forward resulting in town putting pressure on Cambridge.

Carrolls first thought however appears to be "how do I slow things down"

It unfortunately set the pace of our game, slow, pedestrian let alone the number of times he failed to pass to a blue shirt.

Fair point. But we're a side that has to play much better and create more chances than the opposition to win. With or without Bakinson. And that was acknowledged by McKenna. It's been a trait for a while.
Have to say I'm amazed Carroll played so many games in the PL. Can't see that extra quality.
Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 09:12 - Apr 3 with 482 viewsVeggie

Carroll is really just a BTEC Harry Winks
Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 09:25 - Apr 3 with 451 viewsFrimleyBlue

Carroll over Bakinson was possibly the difference today on 09:09 - Apr 3 by franz_tyson

Fair point. But we're a side that has to play much better and create more chances than the opposition to win. With or without Bakinson. And that was acknowledged by McKenna. It's been a trait for a while.
Have to say I'm amazed Carroll played so many games in the PL. Can't see that extra quality.

Creation and goals is exactly why I made a point yesturday about favs being replaced in the final third. Purely going on goals alone....

Chaplin 1 goal in 25 games
Aluko. 2 all season ( maybe 3)
Celina 2 in past 24 games.

Burns has continued his form... but definitely has weaknesses which at times has cost us goal scoring opportunities.. remember just last week 2 town players at the back post and also the 1 on 1 chance late on.

Have favourites I get it. But when playing 1 up top you need more than 4 goals in 25 plus games from your '10's. Burns has been the only contributor to the goals Column in this final important part of the season.. yet people are shocked for someone to suggest the final third set up isn't good enough.

*BTW aware burns isn't a 10. Just including him as I did last night so only fair I include him.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2022 9:31]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024