Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All this talk of being a big club 14:43 - Apr 3 with 6383 viewsBlueGhost

Mr Ashton is rubbish. We are a mid table division 3 club. Until this club finds a way to move up the leagues our status remains the same. Sorry to mention it but you were involved in 19 players coming in last summer. 6 players were top quality and now we have to go again. All your big ideas will be meaningless if we can’t get out of this league.
All this talk of being a big club on 14:54 - Apr 3 with 3672 viewsJ2BLUE

What a load of sh1te.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

All this talk of being a big club on 14:55 - Apr 3 with 3668 viewsIllinoisblue

Nurse!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

All this talk of being a big club on 14:55 - Apr 3 with 3654 viewsElephantintheRoom

Well yes - Town are and always have been anything other a ‘big club’. For a brief moment in time they have been a small town club punching considerably above their weight due largely to a charismatic chairman and two long departed managers.

Now they are a decayed small Town club fallen prey to some financial opportunists. Of course the chancers looking to make a financial killing at the club’s expense are talking big. But they don’t know any better

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

All this talk of being a big club on 14:58 - Apr 3 with 3645 viewsJ2BLUE

All this talk of being a big club on 14:55 - Apr 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Well yes - Town are and always have been anything other a ‘big club’. For a brief moment in time they have been a small town club punching considerably above their weight due largely to a charismatic chairman and two long departed managers.

Now they are a decayed small Town club fallen prey to some financial opportunists. Of course the chancers looking to make a financial killing at the club’s expense are talking big. But they don’t know any better

Such incredibly poor bait. In fact, it's so bad it offends my eyes.

Div listed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

All this talk of being a big club on 14:59 - Apr 3 with 3643 viewsthelingting

I think you're misinterpretating what he's saying.

We have the 3rd largest home attendance in this league behind Sheff Weds and Sunderland, which I think one would say are 'big' clubs and we'd have the 7th largest in the championship whilst still being midtable in League 1. We have frequently sold out our away allocations all season.

Yes we're a 'midtable league 1 team' but we are a well supported one flush with history and ambition. That's not to say we deserve to be anywhere else other than where we are but for this level we are a big club. And we should have higher ambitions that where we're currently sitting.

Those ambitions are what Mr Ashton is talking about, he understands that it is extremely poor to be in this league, especially at the current position.

Club status isn't just about results - yes it helps and yes it affects the other areas such as support but I don't think you can claim he is wrong.

We are a big fish in a small pond and we all want to be the small fish in the big one sooner rather than later.

You are right though - if it does end up all being empty talk that would be rather naff. But please have some positively and try and share in the ambitions that our owners and management are clearly trying to achieve.
All this talk of being a big club on 15:03 - Apr 3 with 3598 viewsDubtractor

All this talk of being a big club on 14:58 - Apr 3 by J2BLUE

Such incredibly poor bait. In fact, it's so bad it offends my eyes.

Div listed.

Such epic, relentless, negativity must be quite draining. He has my sympathy more than anything.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

All this talk of being a big club on 15:03 - Apr 3 with 3595 viewsBlueandTruesince82

OMG I can't believe everything doesn't know exactly the way want it to all of the time

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

All this talk of being a big club on 15:08 - Apr 3 with 3551 viewsIllinoisblue

All this talk of being a big club on 15:03 - Apr 3 by Dubtractor

Such epic, relentless, negativity must be quite draining. He has my sympathy more than anything.

And even the worst comedians change their routine once in a while

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

All this talk of being a big club on 15:11 - Apr 3 with 3541 viewswrightsrightglove

Signed in just to downvote this. Tvvat
All this talk of being a big club on 15:11 - Apr 3 with 3522 viewsElephantintheRoom

All this talk of being a big club on 15:03 - Apr 3 by Dubtractor

You have mine. There is no such thing as a ‘big club’ in the third division. The football league is merit based - which sadly you haven’t noticed and Town have been second and third rate for virtually this entire century.

In short the polar opposite of a ‘big club’.

All this talk of being a big club on 15:12 - Apr 3 with 3532 viewsIllinoisblue

All this talk of being a big club on 15:11 - Apr 3 by ElephantintheRoom

You have mine. There is no such thing as a ‘big club’ in the third division. The football league is merit based - which sadly you haven’t noticed and Town have been second and third rate for virtually this entire century.

You used to be better than this. Less obvious, less stupid.

62 - 78 - 81

All this talk of being a big club on 15:13 - Apr 3 with 3526 viewsBlueandTruesince82

You seem not understand the difference between the words "big" and "good"

All this talk of being a big club on 15:15 - Apr 3 with 3500 viewstimothyeo

We arent a big club in the big picture of English football but we are most certainly a big club in the third tier and shouldn't be in this division for any more than an odd season due to severe mismanagement. I know the same can be said of a couple other clubs down here.
All this talk of being a big club on 15:19 - Apr 3 with 3472 viewsElephantintheRoom

All this talk of being a big club on 15:13 - Apr 3 by BlueandTruesince82

You seem not understand the difference between the words "big" and "good"

I do - but clearly you do not Town are neither at present.

They have been good in the past but never ‘big’. It would help their current position as slightly above average third division trundlers no end if all these ‘big club’ delusions were dropped and people recognised Town as a small Town football club that used to be good a very long time ago.

Unprecedented success over forty years ago is utterly irrelevant.

All this talk of being a big club on 15:23 - Apr 3 with 3449 viewsBlueandTruesince82

All this talk of being a big club on 15:19 - Apr 3 by ElephantintheRoom

They have been good in the past but never ‘big’. It would help their current position as slightly above average third division trundlers no end if all these ‘big club’ delusions were dropped and people recognised Town as a small Town football club that used to be good a very long time ago.

Interesting that you say they, rather than we.....Freudian perhaps

All this talk of being a big club on 15:26 - Apr 3 with 3422 viewsFrimleyBlue

All this talk of being a big club on 15:19 - Apr 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I posted a while back that I hate the talk of being a big club. I get why it's said but I still think it's done the opposite of giving players the boost when it's sung about by the directors or the manager etc.

At present we are just a league 1 side in a big stadium. Rotherham have the presence of a big club when you play them. We don't.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

All this talk of being a big club on 15:29 - Apr 3 with 3396 viewsdominiciawful

In the grand scheme of football, we are not a "big" club, nor are we a "small" club. We are certainly one of the bigger clubs in our division.

For one or two on here, I think https://www.wrathofthebarclay.co.uk/interactive/board/ might be more their sort of thing.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

All this talk of being a big club on 15:30 - Apr 3 with 3384 viewsjeera

All this talk of being a big club on 15:23 - Apr 3 by BlueandTruesince82

Interesting that you say they, rather than we.....Freudian perhaps

Quite.

And with a crowd of 26,515 following 40 years since our "unprecedented success" in the third tier isn't half bad going for such a little club.

He really doesn't have the hang of this trolling lark at all.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

All this talk of being a big club on 15:30 - Apr 3 with 3387 viewsFtnfwest

Yes I’m not quite sure why the obsession with calling ourselves a big club. Frankly makes our current situation even worse. We’re in good hands though which is all that matters
All this talk of being a big club on 15:39 - Apr 3 with 3315 viewsIllinoisblue

All this talk of being a big club on 15:30 - Apr 3 by Ftnfwest

Yes I’m not quite sure why the obsession with calling ourselves a big club. Frankly makes our current situation even worse. We’re in good hands though which is all that matters

There is no obsession. This thread is so dumb.

62 - 78 - 81

All this talk of being a big club on 15:44 - Apr 3 with 3296 viewsDubtractor

All this talk of being a big club on 15:39 - Apr 3 by Illinoisblue

Exactly this.

We spend far more time mocking ourselves, taking the p1ss out of our situation, than having any delusions of grandeur. I'm sure there are a few muppets on twitter giving it the big un sometimes, but that's about it.

Of course Ashton is going to oversell us when he speaks, that's part of his job for goodness sake, and is nothing different from what you'd see at the other 91 clubs in the league.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

All this talk of being a big club on 15:54 - Apr 3 with 3220 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So currently Man Utd are a bigger club than Wolves because of 2 points and Tottenham are a bigger club than Man Utd thanks to goal difference. Luton are a bigger club than Sunderland and Derby are a bigger club than Rotherham but in a few months Rotherham will likely be a bigger club than Derby.

Hmmm. I would suggest, turnover, attendances and infrastructure are far better indicators. On virtually every measure aside from current league position, Man Utd are a bigger club than Wolves or Tottenham and are likely to remain so. I am fairly sure any investors would agree too. On that measure, Ipswich are one of the biggest clubs in this division and are a bigger club than several in the Championship too. Of course, that won't change the fact that we will be spending another season competing in League 1 next year.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

All this talk of being a big club on 15:58 - Apr 3 with 3185 viewsSwansea_Blue

All this talk of being a big club on 15:39 - Apr 3 by Illinoisblue

I think people are getting a little bit confused because we're one of the 'biggest' clubs in this league (in terms of budget, history, support - that's all undeniable).

But you're quite right - there's nobody obsessing about us being a Nobody thinks we're a modern day big club as far as I can tell. Or if they do, they need help. Some people do seem to think we've a divine right to do a lot better though - there was plenty of that evidence on show yesterday. You have to earn that right and I think most of realise that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

All this talk of being a big club on 16:00 - Apr 3 with 3161 viewsVeggie

How is the budgie tw0t still not banned?
All this talk of being a big club on 16:25 - Apr 3 with 3045 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Have you really nothing better to do with your time?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024