Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sh1thoused yesterday… 19:53 - Apr 3 with 4358 viewsmonytowbray

Cambridge played the exact way that done us 2nd half at the Abbey. Defended deep and pretty much shut us out from passing forward. Credit there.

What I can’t credit however is the utter anti-football sh1thousing that seems to be getting worse. People said we were anti-football under Mick but I can’t ever remember seeing us wasting time before the 20 minute point at 0-0.

I’ve seen a couple of threads on here about time wasting recently and something has to be done. It ruins the game for spectators, it’s gone from subtle touches in the dying minutes to dictating the flow of games throughout and players walking 30 yards to put the ball in play after throwing the ball 20 yards in the wrong direction (then whinging “foul” when opposing players hurry them up). It’s beyond a bit of game psychology now and has got to the point of cheating within loopholes.

I know it’s easy to whinge at the ref, but what can you do? Can you send someone off for it? Can you stop the clock at every single opportunity if it’s obvious one team is taking the piss?

Seems like we’re at a point where the rules need adjusting for the greater good of the sport.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 19:59 - Apr 3 with 3078 viewsFrimleyBlue

Injuries that aren't above the shoulders to be dealt with whilst play continues unless medical team show its serious and play should be stopped ( leg break for example)

Would stop players faking cramp or even if they got it the medial team can sort it without effecting the game. Absolutely they'll be in the way but tough, play round them.

Throw ins should be required to be taken within 10 seconds otherwise its a freekick to the other team.

Towels should be banner. Use a shirt to dry the ball.

Teams should not be able to gather in front of the dugouts during breaks in play.

Officials shouldn't wait for teams to be ready when they decide they want to tie their laces etc.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:06 - Apr 3 with 3046 viewspeterleeblue

Its mainly a league 1 thing.
There are only 5 teams that don't do this.

Sunderland
Plymouth
Ipswich
Sheffield Wednesday

Yes even Wigan and Rotherham are adept at the so called dark arts. They have had to deploy them to get out of this league on more than one occasion recently.
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:09 - Apr 3 with 3015 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:06 - Apr 3 by peterleeblue

Its mainly a league 1 thing.
There are only 5 teams that don't do this.

Sunderland
Plymouth
Ipswich
Sheffield Wednesday

Yes even Wigan and Rotherham are adept at the so called dark arts. They have had to deploy them to get out of this league on more than one occasion recently.

It's not just league 1.

Southampton are known for it.

Waka waka eh eh

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:10 - Apr 3 with 3012 viewsSwansea_Blue

No good whinging about it. We’ve got to find a way to beat it as we know that’s what teams will do.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:10 - Apr 3 with 3018 viewsmonytowbray

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 19:59 - Apr 3 by FrimleyBlue

Injuries that aren't above the shoulders to be dealt with whilst play continues unless medical team show its serious and play should be stopped ( leg break for example)

Would stop players faking cramp or even if they got it the medial team can sort it without effecting the game. Absolutely they'll be in the way but tough, play round them.

Throw ins should be required to be taken within 10 seconds otherwise its a freekick to the other team.

Towels should be banner. Use a shirt to dry the ball.

Teams should not be able to gather in front of the dugouts during breaks in play.

Officials shouldn't wait for teams to be ready when they decide they want to tie their laces etc.

I agree with some but I don’t think it’s enough.

44 throw ins average per game, divided by two teams, times 10 seconds per throw in could still account for 3+ minutes.

Injuries wise I think we enter dangerous territory if we determine such rules, not all bad injuries are instantly obvious, and still I don’t doubt any player’s ability at acting!

I’d honestly have the fourth official manage the clock and just stop it every time the ball is out of play until the moment it’s kicked back in. Hell, in this day and age at top flight level they could probably manage it with AI.

I think this would have a better impact on modern football than VAR.

TWTD never forgets…

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:13 - Apr 3 with 2996 viewspeterleeblue

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:09 - Apr 3 by FrimleyBlue

It's not just league 1.

Southampton are known for it.

Ill make a point of watching their next game on Sky to see what they do.
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:13 - Apr 3 with 2997 viewsmonytowbray

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:10 - Apr 3 by Swansea_Blue

No good whinging about it. We’ve got to find a way to beat it as we know that’s what teams will do.

Somewhat I agree, we need to get better at making teams suffer early and fk about less.

But my whinge is mainly it’s fking boring spending large parts of a game waiting for the game to be played.

TWTD never forgets…

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:14 - Apr 3 with 2996 viewsMattinLondon

Personally I think all the talk about teams being ‘sh1thousey’ is way over the top. Time wasting has always gone on and we’ve probably been guilty of doing the same.
Login to get fewer ads

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:16 - Apr 3 with 2976 viewsVeggie

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:14 - Apr 3 by MattinLondon

Personally I think all the talk about teams being ‘sh1thousey’ is way over the top. Time wasting has always gone on and we’ve probably been guilty of doing the same.

Presumably you don’t attend games because the levels of time-wasting and ‘game management’ in this league have become intolerable. I never remember it being so obvious in the Championship.
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:17 - Apr 3 with 2981 viewsmonytowbray

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:14 - Apr 3 by MattinLondon

Data shows it has got worse. Someone posted some stats on Wycombe last week that were abysmal.

https://m.allfootballapp.com/amp/news/EPL/Premier-League-time-wasting-worse-than

40-60 minutes of football, that’d change soon if clubs had to start refunding fans those on a cost-to-minute basis.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2022 20:20]

TWTD never forgets…

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:18 - Apr 3 with 2958 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:13 - Apr 3 by peterleeblue

Look from the 70th minute. Amazing how many injuries happen and drink breaks they have.

Waka waka eh eh

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:19 - Apr 3 with 2953 viewsMattinLondon

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:16 - Apr 3 by Veggie

Presumably you don’t attend games because the levels of time-wasting and ‘game management’ in this league have become intolerable. I never remember it being so obvious in the Championship.

Been to about ten matches. Of course time wasting happens but playing against us in the Championship wasn’t as intimidating or considered a big deal as playing against us in L1.
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:30 - Apr 3 with 2895 viewsVeggie

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:18 - Apr 3 by FrimleyBlue

Look from the 70th minute. Amazing how many injuries happen and drink breaks they have.

Happens to us all the time
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:39 - Apr 3 with 2837 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:13 - Apr 3 by monytowbray

Somewhat I agree, we need to get better at making teams suffer early and fk about less.

But my whinge is mainly it’s fking boring spending large parts of a game waiting for the game to be played.

Fair point. It’s a hard one when people park the bus. You’d think with the likes of Celina and Chaplin we couple uptick most teams, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. We’re not going to get better players than them so we have to find a way somehow. It’s not as if we’re negative. Maybe it comes down to a decent number 9 who can work as the focus/fulcrum and allow everyone around him to play. Dunno.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:49 - Apr 3 with 2792 viewsellaandred

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:13 - Apr 3 by peterleeblue

A player or players' will 'sit down' -pretend injury- if the result is in their favour.
Might be winning or getting an unexpected point
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 21:49 - Apr 3 with 2563 viewsHighgateBlue

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:10 - Apr 3 by monytowbray

44 throw ins average per game, divided by two teams, times 10 seconds per throw in could still account for 3+ minutes.

Injuries wise I think we enter dangerous territory if we determine such rules, not all bad injuries are instantly obvious, and still I don’t doubt any player’s ability at acting!

I’d honestly have the fourth official manage the clock and just stop it every time the ball is out of play until the moment it’s kicked back in. Hell, in this day and age at top flight level they could probably manage it with AI.

In ice hockey the clock stops when the puck goes out of play or when the whistle is blown. Even at very low levels, so it's not a problem in terms of resources. But football has never been 90 minutes of the ball being in play. To require 90 active minutes would greatly increase the length of all games. I'm not sure that would be a positive development, even though I am similarly frustrated by what goes on in League One these days (and quite probably in other leagues).
Think I was at a different game on 22:01 - Apr 3 with 2542 viewsunstableblue

Yes perhaps their keeper too much time… but I don’t recall excessive time wasting

What I do recall was they had a goal disallowed that should have stood, and forced our keeper into two superb saves.

9 shots, 3 on target.

They also seemed win much of the second ball. And defended resolutely.

We just weren’t better than them on the day.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 07:14 - Apr 4 with 2166 viewsBlueBadger

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:19 - Apr 3 by MattinLondon

Been to about ten matches. Of course time wasting happens but playing against us in the Championship wasn’t as intimidating or considered a big deal as playing against us in L1.

Sides did it it to us plenty when were good in the second tier.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 07:19 - Apr 4 with 2153 viewsMattinLondon

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 07:14 - Apr 4 by BlueBadger

Sides did it it to us plenty when were good in the second tier.

Agreed - that’s what I meant.
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 07:46 - Apr 4 with 2090 viewsBlueBadger

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 07:19 - Apr 4 by MattinLondon

Agreed - that’s what I meant.

Hell, Plucky Little Bournemouth were NOTORIOUS for it in their promotion season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 08:02 - Apr 4 with 2043 viewsDJR

What I would do is book a player the first time time-wasting occurs. That would put a stop to much off it thereafter, but wouldn't necessarily work with feigned injuries. It may not have been the first time on Saturday but their goalkeeper walked behind the goal at one stage which was clearly time-wasting, and would have justified the referee booking him. The problem is that referees don't appear to be advised to take this zero-tolerance approach, which merely encourages it. Maybe it's gone on for ages in this league, but my recollection is that time-wasting only used to occur in the last five minutes or so of games.
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 08:10 - Apr 4 with 2022 viewsBluespeed225

Get used to it as next season will be worse. If we play to the potential we’ve been showing, with the exception of 4/5 teams, including those coming down, they’ll all be at it, especially at PR. Our management will have recognised this I’m sure.
Sh1thoused yesterday… on 09:08 - Apr 4 with 1929 viewsGeoffSentence

I didn't think Cambridge were that bad actually.

Seen much, much worse this season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 09:46 - Apr 4 with 1865 viewsRadlett_blue

Sh1thoused yesterday… on 20:10 - Apr 3 by monytowbray

If a player has a bad injury which is unrelated to the head, if he remains on the ground for a minute or so before being treated, his condition is unlikely to worsen. So no need to stop the game for such injuries.
The dithering over goal kicks, throw ins etc is harder to police as each offence in itself doesn't seem serious, but the accumulation makes for a dreadful game. Adding on time isn't the answer as the main point of this is to stop the other team building momentum. Only thing is for refs to cotton on early & then start waving cards around.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Think I was at a different game on 10:23 - Apr 4 with 1806 viewsmonytowbray

Think I was at a different game on 22:01 - Apr 3 by unstableblue

Yes perhaps their keeper too much time… but I don’t recall excessive time wasting

What I do recall was they had a goal disallowed that should have stood, and forced our keeper into two superb saves.

9 shots, 3 on target.

They also seemed win much of the second ball. And defended resolutely.

We just weren’t better than them on the day.

See my opening statement - they did play a solid game when the ball was in play.

If you don’t recall much time wasting then I fear you may have been at a different game.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024