Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday 08:59 - Apr 4 with 1988 viewsBobbychase

Not all game, things died away when it became clear it wasn't going to be the game we all hoped. But just before and after kick off and at points in the first half it was superb. Cobbold Stand joining in with lower SBR. Good stuff from Blue Action again.

Had that been a repeat of the Plymouth performance/result I think the roof would have come off.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 09:50 - Apr 4 with 1902 viewsSouperJim

I was in the cobbold lower on the halfway line Saturday rather than where I usually am in the lower north. I know this is always said, but the noise from the north stand doesn't travel well. The acoustics really are terrible, there were only 2 or 3 songs from the north all game which sounded loud. If gamechanger only did 1 thing to improve Portman Road, for me it would be to sort this issue out as best as possible.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 9:51]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 09:55 - Apr 4 with 1876 viewsGeoffSentence

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 09:50 - Apr 4 by SouperJim

I was in the cobbold lower on the halfway line Saturday rather than where I usually am in the lower north. I know this is always said, but the noise from the north stand doesn't travel well. The acoustics really are terrible, there were only 2 or 3 songs from the north all game which sounded loud. If gamechanger only did 1 thing to improve Portman Road, for me it would be to sort this issue out as best as possible.

The North sounded pretty vigorous, more or less constantly (until the goal) from where I am in the Sir Alf.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 10:16 - Apr 4 with 1782 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Yep, exactly the same here. Was in the Cobbold lower, again on the halfway line. An amazing atmosphere wasn’t my experience. Felt flat throughout especially when it became clear it wasn’t happening. We were pretty much outsung from start to finish.

Of course, in the Cobbold I could just about hear S6 over the loud tutting that greeted every Carroll pass
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 15:20]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 10:27 - Apr 4 with 1755 viewsSWGF

I sit directly opposite the away fans and almost every game (with a decent away following), they are singing about the place being a library and our support being less than adequate while the North Stand are in full song. It's a shocking stadium for acoustics.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 10:32 - Apr 4 with 1714 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 10:16 - Apr 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Yep, exactly the same here. Was in the Cobbold lower, again on the halfway line. An amazing atmosphere wasn’t my experience. Felt flat throughout especially when it became clear it wasn’t happening. We were pretty much outsung from start to finish.

Of course, in the Cobbold I could just about hear S6 over the loud tutting that greeted every Carroll pass

Agree, I thought it was pretty flat.
Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 11:04 - Apr 4 with 1651 viewsBobbychase

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 10:27 - Apr 4 by SWGF

I sit directly opposite the away fans and almost every game (with a decent away following), they are singing about the place being a library and our support being less than adequate while the North Stand are in full song. It's a shocking stadium for acoustics.

I hardly heard the Cambridge fans at all (I was in Cobbold Block A) whereas the SBR sounded amazing.

And yet people in the seats below me clearly couldn't hear a thing

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 11:25 - Apr 4 with 1616 viewsWickets

Yup in the that part of the ground where we were sitting all we could hear all game long was the Cambridge fans . I now understand why fans in the middle sections of Portman road think the Sir Bobby lower is quiet . Back to are usual seats Super Jim for the last couple of home games thankfully .
Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 12:08 - Apr 4 with 1534 viewsnorth_stand77

Genuine question, technically, how can the acoustics 8improved?

I sit in SBR upper and although I know the Lower are singing, it's not always easy to hear it properly.
Login to get fewer ads

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 12:22 - Apr 4 with 1497 viewsDyland

I'm not criticising the atmosphere but from the Upper North in Area 1 it sounded pretty flat except for a few points in the second half, and before the game. Always the way, cos the acoustics just don't support crowd noise at all. Annoying.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Ah, snap (n/t) on 12:23 - Apr 4 with 1489 viewsDyland

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 12:08 - Apr 4 by north_stand77

I sit in SBR upper and although I know the Lower are singing, it's not always easy to hear it properly.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 13:15 - Apr 4 with 1385 viewsBlue_Order

Was really frustrating because that end of the Cobbold upper was joining in so the whole corner was going for a few minutes (think it was allez allez allez oh). It felt like it was really building up… and then they scored, which just killed it all.
Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 13:26 - Apr 4 with 1335 viewsSaleAway

I wasn't able to be there, but I had iFollow on, and the atmosphere sounded pretty good to me. Plenty of songs heard for most of the game. in comparison, I watched the last 30 minutes of the Liverpool game on Bt sport, where it genuinely did sound like a library.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 15:21 - Apr 4 with 1157 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 12:08 - Apr 4 by north_stand77

Microphones in the bottom row of SBR, piped to our new tannoy system

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 17:47 - Apr 4 with 1055 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 10:16 - Apr 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

It sounded pretty good on IFollow

Poll: Our final position

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 19:57 - Apr 4 with 964 viewsnorth_stand77

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 15:21 - Apr 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Microphones in the bottom row of SBR, piped to our new tannoy system

That sounds good (excuse the pun), maybe it could be done at the same time as the tannoy system, which is now completely inaudible in the upper North.
Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 09:13 - Apr 5 with 819 viewsSouperJim

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 19:57 - Apr 4 by north_stand77

That sounds good (excuse the pun), maybe it could be done at the same time as the tannoy system, which is now completely inaudible in the upper North.

I seem to recall that this was suggested by the Evans regime once upon a time, along with vague promises of sorting out the broken 2nd hand unfit for purpose PA system installed in the ground.

I've often thought that they should have internally clad the new north in the corregated iron from the old north. The old stand was like a giant drum. In all seriousness though, surely something along those lines would help, in the lower north you've got the permanently shut shutters at the back and then the concrete of the upper tier above, neither reflect sound very well.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 9:14]

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 11:04 - Apr 5 with 743 viewsITFC_Forever

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 09:13 - Apr 5 by SouperJim

I seem to recall that this was suggested by the Evans regime once upon a time, along with vague promises of sorting out the broken 2nd hand unfit for purpose PA system installed in the ground.

I've often thought that they should have internally clad the new north in the corregated iron from the old north. The old stand was like a giant drum. In all seriousness though, surely something along those lines would help, in the lower north you've got the permanently shut shutters at the back and then the concrete of the upper tier above, neither reflect sound very well.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 9:14]

The shutters open during the week to let air cirulate... they are then closed on match-day.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 11:21 - Apr 5 with 722 viewsSouperJim

Impressed by the atmosphere on Saturday on 11:04 - Apr 5 by ITFC_Forever

The shutters open during the week to let air cirulate... they are then closed on match-day.

I'm surprised by that, I'm 2 rows from the back and the one near me has had the handle for the mechanism removed. That's since gamechanger arrived of course, before that there were grotty tarpaulins permanently covering them up for years.

Really don't understand the design of the stand at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024