Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So now the season is over 11:42 - Apr 5 with 4830 viewschicoazul

What do we all think of the much-heralded players we bought in last year?
For me there are only a few unqualified successes; Walton Edmundson Burns Chaplin.
I’d say Morsy is very borderline as he misses so many games. Aluko and Evans have as many indifferent games as good. Burgess to be fair has come back very strong after a tough start. The rest have failed.
Of the loans well, I’d break the back to keep Celina, Thompson has been a nett positive, Bonne ok a bad second half of the season but where would we be without his earlier form? Barry and Coulson catastrophic failures.
It is of course the usual banter era irony (and hopefully the final one) that the best players of the McK era so far are a couple of Hurst signings and a youth player.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So now the season is over on 11:46 - Apr 5 with 3153 viewsJ2BLUE

Morsy borderline...

I didn't read any further.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So now the season is over on 11:48 - Apr 5 with 3143 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 11:46 - Apr 5 by J2BLUE

Morsy borderline...

What is it 8 games he’s missed through suspension? And a yellow every other game? Not saying he isn’t good, that’s not the rationale. But at that rate he will miss lots of important games in a season.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So now the season is over on 11:49 - Apr 5 with 3124 viewsabracaDOBRA_

So now the season is over on 11:48 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

What is it 8 games he’s missed through suspension? And a yellow every other game? Not saying he isn’t good, that’s not the rationale. But at that rate he will miss lots of important games in a season.

Rather have him miss 8 games and play the rest than have another midfield play every game in his place
So now the season is over on 11:50 - Apr 5 with 3108 viewsSouperJim

Chaplin an unqualified success but Aluko indifferent?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

So now the season is over on 11:51 - Apr 5 with 3097 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 11:49 - Apr 5 by abracaDOBRA_

Rather have him miss 8 games and play the rest than have another midfield play every game in his place

13 yellows in 28 games. And what happened to our form during his most recent suspension?

So now the season is over on 11:53 - Apr 5 with 3072 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 11:50 - Apr 5 by SouperJim

Chaplin an unqualified success but Aluko indifferent?

Aluko has had some very indifferent games and scored 3 goals. Chaplin has them too but scored 9. They both play in the same role.

So now the season is over on 11:54 - Apr 5 with 3063 viewsabracaDOBRA_

So now the season is over on 11:51 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

13 yellows in 28 games. And what happened to our form during his most recent suspension?

We won 3 and lost 1?
So now the season is over on 11:57 - Apr 5 with 3037 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 11:54 - Apr 5 by abracaDOBRA_

We won 3 and lost 1?

So we can thrive without him in other words.

Login to get fewer ads

So now the season is over on 11:59 - Apr 5 with 3017 viewsabracaDOBRA_

So now the season is over on 11:57 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

Ha. Stop trying to be edgy. Morsy is one of our most important players. Yes we won 3 but we didn't look anywhere near as solid.
So now the season is over on 12:02 - Apr 5 with 2989 viewsSouperJim

So now the season is over on 11:53 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

Aluko has had some very indifferent games and scored 3 goals. Chaplin has them too but scored 9. They both play in the same role.

That's a very simplistic view. I like Chaplin, but for me Aluko and Morsy are two of the first names on the team sheet. Defence aside, they have easily been our two most influencial players in terms of controlling the game and getting on top of the opposition.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

So now the season is over on 12:03 - Apr 5 with 2982 viewspointofblue

Chaplin’s another Bonne - may have scored nine but his last was two months ago on February 5th. Now he’s either a striker who can’t score or a number ten who doesn’t create. Wouldn’t call him an unqualified success.
Walton, Burns and Edmundson yes.
Bonne was a success under Cook for the most part and has been a failure under McKenna.
Morsy is a key lynchpin in our midfield but he does pick up some silly bookings. Overall, has to be a yes though.
Aluko’s age will probably count against him.
Celina does the brilliant well but the simple badly.
The Thompson who played against Plymouth is a success; the one who played against Cambridge anything but.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So now the season is over on 12:13 - Apr 5 with 2925 viewsitfcsuth

A good group of players is what we have now, a really strong group.

Of course there have been some signings that haven't come off, when you recruit 21 players throughout a season, you'll do well to hit a total success ratio.

There have been a lot of successes though that will continue to be vital players to the squad - Walton, Edmundson, Burgess, Thompson, Morsy, Evans, Bakinson, Chaplin, Celina, Aluko, Burns

I'd say the ones that haven't worked out yet - Pigott, Harper, Edwards, Penney, Hladky2, Carroll, Fraser

We'll have a quieter window, of course, but that will be good for continuity. I still anticipate we will do really good business.
So now the season is over on 12:21 - Apr 5 with 2863 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 11:59 - Apr 5 by abracaDOBRA_

Ha. Stop trying to be edgy. Morsy is one of our most important players. Yes we won 3 but we didn't look anywhere near as solid.

I’m not trying to be edgy. I’m stating simple facts and using your own example to back up my opinion.

So now the season is over on 12:25 - Apr 5 with 2850 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 12:13 - Apr 5 by itfcsuth

A good group of players is what we have now, a really strong group.

Of course there have been some signings that haven't come off, when you recruit 21 players throughout a season, you'll do well to hit a total success ratio.

There have been a lot of successes though that will continue to be vital players to the squad - Walton, Edmundson, Burgess, Thompson, Morsy, Evans, Bakinson, Chaplin, Celina, Aluko, Burns

I'd say the ones that haven't worked out yet - Pigott, Harper, Edwards, Penney, Hladky2, Carroll, Fraser

We'll have a quieter window, of course, but that will be good for continuity. I still anticipate we will do really good business.

Not much quieter though as on that basis we need 10 players again!

So now the season is over on 12:26 - Apr 5 with 2844 viewsfranz_tyson

You might even add Donacien to the list as I thought he'd be binned. Like a new signing and excellent under both Cook and McKenna. More hits than misses for me.... but did we need all of Chaplin, Celina and Aluko? Alll players I like, but too much in one area of the team.
Can't believe Morsy is considered border-line. Most important player we've got. If more players had a bit more mongrel in them we could share around the yellows out a bit more. I'd bring in a couple more like Morsy for next season and stop getting too puritanical about .... we're still too soft for L1.
So now the season is over on 12:27 - Apr 5 with 2836 viewsBlueandTruesince82

So now the season is over on 11:57 - Apr 5 by chicoazul

Thats a stretch, came through relatively unscathed would be more accurate

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

So now the season is over on 12:32 - Apr 5 with 2808 viewsFtnfwest

So now the season is over on 11:46 - Apr 5 by J2BLUE

Morsy borderline...

i stopped at '..the season is over'
So now the season is over on 12:39 - Apr 5 with 2795 viewsitfcjoe

The season has been a huge disappointment, a 3rd year in League 1 and a 3rd year where we haven't even troubled the play offs - despite having a much bigger budgeted squad.

There was too much change last summer to hit this one already on the run, and then we continued to add to squad through window and ended up basically writing it off by Xmas.

There will likely be 7-8 in and the same going out this summer, but realistically we will go into next season with a solid spine to build from, and with a proper manager to get us prepped and ready for the early start to next season - important we it ground running and with what we have lined up for next year already we should be sufficient in that regard.

There is a very blue tinted spec view of things, of how great it is to be able to have loads of players to choose from for POTY - and how that compares to previous seasons - when points wise all 3 seasons at this level are much of a muchness and league positions will be.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So now the season is over on 12:50 - Apr 5 with 2690 viewsIllinoisblue

So now the season is over on 12:39 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

The season has been a huge disappointment, a 3rd year in League 1 and a 3rd year where we haven't even troubled the play offs - despite having a much bigger budgeted squad.

There was too much change last summer to hit this one already on the run, and then we continued to add to squad through window and ended up basically writing it off by Xmas.

There will likely be 7-8 in and the same going out this summer, but realistically we will go into next season with a solid spine to build from, and with a proper manager to get us prepped and ready for the early start to next season - important we it ground running and with what we have lined up for next year already we should be sufficient in that regard.

There is a very blue tinted spec view of things, of how great it is to be able to have loads of players to choose from for POTY - and how that compares to previous seasons - when points wise all 3 seasons at this level are much of a muchness and league positions will be.

Broadly agree with most of that except for the bit about POTY; it is nice (although meaningless given our continued failings in L1) to have options to choose from.

Huge summer for the club and KMac. L1 won’t get any easier.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So now the season is over on 12:54 - Apr 5 with 2659 viewsDubtractor

"There is a very blue tinted spec view of things, of how great it is to be able to have loads of players to choose from for POTY - and how that compares to previous seasons - when points wise all 3 seasons at this level are much of a muchness and league positions will be."

100% this, I have thought similar about a lot of the POTY discussions. The difference is that we are finishing this season strongly whereas the last 2 we have been crap by now, but as you say, we'll still end up in the same position.

There is LOADS to be positive about right now though, so I do genuinely think that the enthusiasm in our support needs to be harnessed to help us hit the ground running next season.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So now the season is over on 12:55 - Apr 5 with 2652 viewsGuthrum

I'd say overall pretty good. The squad wasn't balanced well, needed some trimming, which it got in January and may get some more over the summer.

But has shown it can at least reach parity with the best in the division (still have to play Rotherham again, but none of the top ten have doubled us, yet we have done it to Wycombe; we have taken as many points from top ten teams as they have taken from us). We've only had one thumping defeat (Bolton) and handed out a couple to others.

The squad has shown that with decent organisation, it is able to put on an extended run accruing nearly two points per game.

Some of the signings haven't worked out, but you expect that a proportion will not. Coulson was injured, Barry wasn't really needed (given other targets we manged to get), Fraser didn't fit. Edwards hasn't really found his role or form yet, but has possibilities at left wing-back. Carroll and perhaps Pigott have been below par, tho the former put in a couple of decent performances while Morsy was suspended and the latter seems valued by McKenna for causing trouble in the box.

Generally not a bad return on a wholesale renovation of the squad.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So now the season is over on 12:57 - Apr 5 with 2638 viewsVeggie

I wouldn’t say the most exciting season for 15 or so years has been a ‘huge disappointment’ personally. It’s been enthralling from start to finish.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 12:58]
So now the season is over on 13:02 - Apr 5 with 2591 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Season's not over yet.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

So now the season is over on 13:02 - Apr 5 with 2589 viewsJ2BLUE

So now the season is over on 12:57 - Apr 5 by Veggie

I wouldn’t say the most exciting season for 15 or so years has been a ‘huge disappointment’ personally. It’s been enthralling from start to finish.

More exciting than the play off season?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So now the season is over on 13:02 - Apr 5 with 2589 viewschicoazul

So now the season is over on 12:57 - Apr 5 by Veggie

Remember that time we got in the Championship play offs?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024