Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gamechanger 20 annual review 10:23 - Apr 7 with 1822 viewssuffolkpoker

Here is my gamechanger review.

Squad;- Huge overhual in the last summer. was it 20 out and 19 in?
I would say out of the 19 we got half of the right, if thats gamechanger or cook who knows. Star buys Burns, Aluko, Edmunson, Morsey, Chaplin and Evans. Star loan Celina.
Rating 6.8/10

January window was less dramtic more out than in. good signing with Walton on a prem.
Rating 7/10 i felt we needed a new striker.

Business, gates and match day experince;-
Buying the bit of land behind the churchmans is a real statement of intent. Attendances have increased huge with every homegame now over 20k.
Improvements to the ground already and planning permission in.
Rating 10/10 couldnt ask for more.

Rating 23.8 / 30

I am now excited about the next season and going up as champions is there goal.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 11:07 - Apr 7 with 1730 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Could almost split their ownership into two categories;

Paul Cook era and the Keiran McKenna era.

Paul Cook was mainly a disaster, and KM is turning this around.

We now have a good squad that with 3-4 additions should challenge next year.

Off the pitch the club / management seems to be on a different level, lots of structure and investment.

We are definitely in a better place than we were.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 12:25 - Apr 7 with 1646 viewsBeckets

Checked back out of interest and we were 8th in League 1 when they arrived.
Gamechanger 20 annual review on 13:38 - Apr 7 with 1539 viewssuffolkpoker

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 12:25 - Apr 7 by Beckets

makes my 6.8 to generous.

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 13:46 - Apr 7 with 1529 viewsmylittletown

I think that you have marginally ungenerous on the signings. I think Burgess is decent, and Bonne looked inspired for a while.

They should be marked down for not getting rid of Cook earlier. He was obviously all over the place.
Gamechanger 20 annual review on 13:53 - Apr 7 with 1516 viewsBonneNIL

We had a shout at Playoffs before Cook arrived, and that was with Lambert at the helm and the "bomb" squad...

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 17:27 - Apr 7 with 1391 viewssuffolkpoker

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 13:46 - Apr 7 by mylittletown

I think that you have marginally ungenerous on the signings. I think Burgess is decent, and Bonne looked inspired for a while.

They should be marked down for not getting rid of Cook earlier. He was obviously all over the place.

Bonne has been our main striker with a return off 12 goals is poor. He has come in onloan from a championship club and coming back to his boy hood club. I was hoping for more especially hitting 10 goals before christmas.

Burgess looks decent but only 18 games this season. Decent sqaud member atm, hopefully gets more game time next season.

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 19:31 - Apr 7 with 1281 viewsdominiciawful

Gamechanger OUT!

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 20:57 - Apr 7 with 1183 viewsSwansea_Blue

Evans IN!!!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 21:02 - Apr 7 with 1166 viewsDarth_Koont

I don’t think the quality of players coming in was a problem. Or would have been if we’d brought in fewer.

The situation was complex and not down to the manager, Ashton, the new board etc. and we made a statement with the number of quality players we signed but I think we all underestimated how that could be fashioned into a quality team.

This season, we’ve come a long way and learnt a lot about the squad. McKenna has come in and sorted out the defensive frailty by effectively moving a player from attack into defence. And at the same time, he was probably recognising the hit and miss nature of the team in the final third, and thought if we could focus more on keeping clean sheets than outscoring the opposition then we’d stand a better chance.

And I think he’s been proven right. The keeper, backline and a centre-midfield built around Morsy is Championship level already and is a great foundation for next year.

But the attack needs work. Apart from the Donacien-Burns axis (which is still the defence, let’s remember) the attack has been misfiring all season. Even with Celina, Aluko and Chaplin who’ve proven that at times they’re possibly too good for this division.

But that hasn’t been enough. And even our strikers who have shown potential here and elsewhere haven’t really benefited from those attacking talents behind them. There’s a strange disconnection (right channel aside) whenever the ball gets into threatening areas.

I’m glad I don’t have to solve that puzzle. Is it a clear out and sacrificing players who we know are good enough individually or is it just as simple as adding one key player who can hold the attack together and give it some structure? Like a Daryl Murphy in his prime who could do a bit of everything in any type of game.

I’m fully confident that McKenna has a better understanding of the problem and the solution than all of us. But I also think he wouldn’t have expected a promotion team to emerge from the flurry of signings and complete overhaul of the squad at the beginning of the season.

Now we’re starting from a properly strong team base rather than an exciting squad, I can’t wait to see what he does this summer. I think his signings (and who he keeps on) will be fascinating to see.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 21:04]

Pronouns: He/Him

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 07:30 - Apr 8 with 972 viewsRIPbobby

You didn't mention what you thought of the loanee that Kieran bought in. His only signing I think. How do you rate him? The question is can Kieran eye a good player to improve us or not. He seems to get a tune out of players which is very important.
Gamechanger 20 annual review on 08:01 - Apr 8 with 936 viewsChurchman

Last season they took 16 points from the first 6 games. This season, 3 points from the first 6 games.

Personally, I think the current team is far stronger. However, 5/10 for the team for me. We should have done better with the resources at our disposal. The responsibility has to lie with Cook who did his very best, but it wasn’t good enough.

Jan window 8/10. Signing up a good goalie in Walton was no 1 priority. Shipping one or two out was good too.

Off field 10/10. From supporter interaction to what they are trying to do with the decaying infrastructure, I couldn’t have asked for more. Progress.

Overall, disappointed with the results, but very positive about the overall direction we are going in (corporate speak = direction of travel. The ‘journey’… Aaaargh!).
Gamechanger 20 annual review on 08:54 - Apr 8 with 884 viewsGuthrum

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 07:30 - Apr 8 by RIPbobby

You didn't mention what you thought of the loanee that Kieran bought in. His only signing I think. How do you rate him? The question is can Kieran eye a good player to improve us or not. He seems to get a tune out of players which is very important.

Two of them, Bakinson and Thompson.

From perhaps shaky starts - and you have to remember they're still U23 agegroup with limited previous first team experience - both of them have gone on to put in decent, even good performances.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 08:56 - Apr 8 with 880 viewsitfcjoe

I went on the podcast when asked:

On the pitch - 6 out of 10
(Paul Cook 4, Kieran McKenna 8)

Off the pitch - 9 out of 10

15/20

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 09:45 - Apr 8 with 815 viewssuffolkpoker

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 07:30 - Apr 8 by RIPbobby

His only permanent signing was Walton. Best keeper in this league imo.

Both loans have done ok. they have been brought in January to fill positions that wasnt done in the Summer.

Mckenna real judge on picking players will be this Summer. Lets hope he unearth some gems and sign some proven pros.

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 10:49 - Apr 8 with 739 viewsElephantintheRoom

Schwarz will certainly be having a review and it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall. Despite all the bonhomie and PR I suspect they are a bit unimpressed with managing to be further away from the play offs than when they took over, despite huge « investment » and an unfortunate change of manager and cabal of yes men which might not have been factored into the sums.

Soaring costs and a new (if possibly short-lived) interest in dodgy football club ownership might also affect their plans

I tend to agree with most of what you say - but there were a lot of babies thrown out with the bath water with at least five discarded players playing at a higher level - and Will Keane is a startling if somewhat surprising reminder of what was tossed away to go backwards in the table

The bottom line is that Town contrived to go slightly backwards in the table at the very time their new found financial clout and sense of purpose should had a huge positive impact. They will never have a better chance.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 11:13 - Apr 8 with 710 viewsChurchman

Gamechanger 20 annual review on 10:49 - Apr 8 by ElephantintheRoom

Schwarz will certainly be having a review and it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall. Despite all the bonhomie and PR I suspect they are a bit unimpressed with managing to be further away from the play offs than when they took over, despite huge « investment » and an unfortunate change of manager and cabal of yes men which might not have been factored into the sums.

Soaring costs and a new (if possibly short-lived) interest in dodgy football club ownership might also affect their plans

I tend to agree with most of what you say - but there were a lot of babies thrown out with the bath water with at least five discarded players playing at a higher level - and Will Keane is a startling if somewhat surprising reminder of what was tossed away to go backwards in the table

The bottom line is that Town contrived to go slightly backwards in the table at the very time their new found financial clout and sense of purpose should had a huge positive impact. They will never have a better chance.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you had just one objective or positive thing to say. Just one teensy weeny little thing. Anything. I really doubt you’d transform into a toad or something if you did. But nope, just endless trolling.

Still, Norwich eh? You must be looking forward to next season in the Championship.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024