Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. 16:25 - Apr 7 with 3319 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I'm a self employed gardener, for those of you that didn't already know. I have many qualifications and 47 years experience in many facets of horticulture, work hard and am in my opinion very fair on pricing, both hourly and day rate.
I reluctantly increased prices modestly from the beginning of this month to cover fuel and the other overheads incurred. This is the first time i've done so in 5 or so years and the majority of customers have been very supportive and appreciate the work i do for them.
One, however, has told me "You're biting off your nose to spite your face". I have a bit of a dilemma as his monthly standing order has gone into my account today at the old rate and i am due to do the garden next week. Don't want a big falling out as been working there for several years and the working relationship has been good, but now feel that i should just pay the money back and take up one of the other offers i've recently had.
Advice needed and gratefully received

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:28 - Apr 7 with 2271 viewsSteve_M

Maybe do the next one after that many years but then ask him to make sure the increase goes through next time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:29 - Apr 7 with 2264 viewsEwan_Oozami

Do his garden next week, but say you'll be doing it less often in future - say every 3 weeks instead of every 2, or whatever equivalent matches the rise in rates?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:32 - Apr 7 with 2234 viewsFixed_It

Do the work as an act of goodwill - but point out the error. If he rectifies it all well and good, if not move on.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:33 - Apr 7 with 2225 viewsclive_baker

Depends why he's paid you at your old prices I guess. If you think it's a mistake I would probably do the work because you've worked for him for so long, but 100% say from next month the new prices need to be reflceted in his payment. If you think he's taking the p1ss and trying to dictate your fee despite you telling him it's gone up then I would let him know it's short by £X, and ask for the difference to be transferred and future payments to be the new amount. If he says no then send it back and tell him you can't afford to keep working at those prices.

Also tell him it's cutting off your nose. Bloody hard to bite your own nose off.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:35 - Apr 7 with 2217 viewsNthQldITFC

Get your Dutch mate to ring him up and call him a "big vvanker b0ll0ck chops c##t"!

edit: I would just point out to him again the reasons and if he still won't be reasonable, refund him and take on someone else as you say.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 16:45]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:36 - Apr 7 with 2211 viewsMookamoo

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:28 - Apr 7 by Steve_M

Maybe do the next one after that many years but then ask him to make sure the increase goes through next time.

Yes, you've got to given them the benefit of the doubt at least once.

I have the odd client who is deliberately difficult. They sometimes get an email to say my book keeper has pointed out a mistake and then give them the chance to pay up. I don't have a book keeper, it just helps diffuse the situation.
I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:41 - Apr 7 with 2176 viewstractorboy1978

Do half his garden and say you'll return to do the other half once he's fully recompensed you.
I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:43 - Apr 7 with 2165 viewsjeera

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:33 - Apr 7 by clive_baker

Depends why he's paid you at your old prices I guess. If you think it's a mistake I would probably do the work because you've worked for him for so long, but 100% say from next month the new prices need to be reflceted in his payment. If you think he's taking the p1ss and trying to dictate your fee despite you telling him it's gone up then I would let him know it's short by £X, and ask for the difference to be transferred and future payments to be the new amount. If he says no then send it back and tell him you can't afford to keep working at those prices.

Also tell him it's cutting off your nose. Bloody hard to bite your own nose off.

"Also tell him it's cutting off your nose. Bloody hard to bite your own nose off."

Damn straight.

Pedantry is the most important thing here and I'd be tempted to tell him I don't even want to work for someone who doesn't know the difference.

Feck him off for being so stupid.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 16:52]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 16:44 - Apr 7 with 2162 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:44 - Apr 7 with 2161 viewsblue62

Maybe they have just not changed the SO yet, I would of forgotten as well.

But if they refuse then it maybe time to take on different projects. Good gardeners are hard to find, so the song goes.
[Redacted] on 16:49 - Apr 7 with 2131 viewsvictorywilhappen

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 16:43 - Apr 7 by jeera

"Also tell him it's cutting off your nose. Bloody hard to bite your own nose off."

Damn straight.

Pedantry is the most important thing here and I'd be tempted to tell him I don't even want to work for someone who doesn't know the difference.

Feck him off for being so stupid.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 16:52]

[Redacted]
I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:06 - Apr 7 with 2067 viewsfactual_blue

As he should have said 'cutting your nose off' and not 'biting your nose off', you're better off without his custom.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:10 - Apr 7 with 2055 viewshoppy

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:06 - Apr 7 by factual_blue

As he should have said 'cutting your nose off' and not 'biting your nose off', you're better off without his custom.

(as has already been pointed out further up).

*tuts* thread viewers...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:10 - Apr 7 with 2048 viewsfooters

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:06 - Apr 7 by factual_blue

You'd need a pretty big mouth or a pretty big nose. Preferably both.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:14 - Apr 7 with 2039 viewsjeera

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:10 - Apr 7 by hoppy

*tuts* thread viewers...

We let these things go now.

Just nod and smile along.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:14 - Apr 7 with 2039 viewsfactual_blue

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:10 - Apr 7 by hoppy

*tuts* thread viewers...

I like to give valid points the extra gravitas they deserve.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:21 - Apr 7 with 2016 viewsKropotkin123

Inflation is a realty. They have had a continued discount from the moment you set prices five years ago, as the money you judged your services has dropped in value. I'm obviously being simplistic about the decline in value, for ease of making the general point. If they cannot recognise this point, then you'll need to judge whether someone else would value your services in line with your needs and expectations.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:25 - Apr 7 with 1994 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Check that they haven't just not updated the bank as yet. If it is that then they can make up the difference. If they are being awkward then move on as the working relationship will not recover. We also upped our rates after 4 years or so which means it is a fair percentage but less so in annual terms. There are plenty not as good as us charging more even now.

Anyway, I'd rather....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:40 - Apr 7 with 1943 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:25 - Apr 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Check that they haven't just not updated the bank as yet. If it is that then they can make up the difference. If they are being awkward then move on as the working relationship will not recover. We also upped our rates after 4 years or so which means it is a fair percentage but less so in annual terms. There are plenty not as good as us charging more even now.

Anyway, I'd rather....

Cheers.
I haven't been at all unreasonable either, as other customers have demonstrated in their willingness to accept the rises with good grace.
Perhaps we undervalue our skill set bankster as i also know of several charging more.

He's not willing to pay more. Had a polite exchange of opinions on the matter just a short while ago and will refund his money.

Parting comment "Do you know any one who can take over from you"

I chuckled and said " No, but you'll get what you're prepared to pay for"

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:40 - Apr 7 with 1939 viewsGlasgowBlue

My advice would be to print off some flyers explaining why you have had to increase your costs, with a list of your overheads and how the increases have affected your ability to keep offering your services at the same price.

Also note that you have kept your prices at the same rate over the past five years, despite your overheads rising consistently over that period, but how these latest increases have made it is no longer feasible to continue absorbing those increases whilst offering the same first class service.

People should be understanding.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:57 - Apr 7 with 1889 viewsKeno

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:40 - Apr 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

Cheers.
I haven't been at all unreasonable either, as other customers have demonstrated in their willingness to accept the rises with good grace.
Perhaps we undervalue our skill set bankster as i also know of several charging more.

He's not willing to pay more. Had a polite exchange of opinions on the matter just a short while ago and will refund his money.

Very disappointed here TWTD

Where is the “do his garden, but leave a huge dump in the middle of his lawn” suggestion.

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 18:08 - Apr 7 with 1846 viewsEwan_Oozami

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:57 - Apr 7 by Keno

Very disappointed here TWTD

Where is the “do his garden, but leave a huge dump in the middle of his lawn” suggestion.

That's only if he does the customer's garden on a Friday?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 18:29 - Apr 7 with 1760 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I'd do it this once but remind him that going forward it needs to reflect the new rate unless he no longer wants you and if he says no thanks I'd say no problem thank him for his business and take up one of the other options.

If he says yes but doesn't pay the right amount again I'd give him a reminder and if not rectified quickly I'd do as you suggest and send back and move on

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 18:31 - Apr 7 with 1751 viewsRyorry

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 17:40 - Apr 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

Cheers.

He sounds like an unappreciative, miserly fool, and for all you say that your relationship's been good with him, it appears to this outsider that the goodwill's all been going pretty much one-way ...

All trades & services are like gold dust these days, I've only just found a qualified electrician able to fit work in after 5 months of looking. One thing the pandemic should really have taught people who hadn't been previously aware, is that jobs they'd previously regarded as 'lowly' are actually of really high value.

You're obviously well regarded by your other cutomers who'll recommend you, you'll never be short of work, & how nice it'll be when *all* your customers appreciate you, not just 99% of them!

Glad you had the last laugh with his parting comment too!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 18:41 - Apr 7 with 1731 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I'm "Biting Of My Nose To Spite My Face" Apparantly. on 18:31 - Apr 7 by Ryorry

He sounds like an unappreciative, miserly fool, and for all you say that your relationship's been good with him, it appears to this outsider that the goodwill's all been going pretty much one-way ...

All trades & services are like gold dust these days, I've only just found a qualified electrician able to fit work in after 5 months of looking. One thing the pandemic should really have taught people who hadn't been previously aware, is that jobs they'd previously regarded as 'lowly' are actually of really high value.

You're obviously well regarded by your other cutomers who'll recommend you, you'll never be short of work, & how nice it'll be when *all* your customers appreciate you, not just 99% of them!

Glad you had the last laugh with his parting comment too!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Now you come to mention it, it does appear to have been somewhat one sided on the goodwill front.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024