Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cheese 18:06 - Apr 7 with 937 viewsclive_baker

Anyone ever tried it?

Not bad at all, I think it'll catch on.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cheese on 18:43 - Apr 7 with 890 viewsfactual_blue

Do you realise what proportion of our cheese is imported?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cheese on 18:45 - Apr 7 with 887 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

That new fangled cheddar stuff goes very nicely with a slice or three of haslet.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Cheese on 18:51 - Apr 7 with 877 viewsDarth_Koont

In my move away from dairy that’s worked like an absolute charm with milk, yoghurt, butter etc, I still haven’t found the same cheese equivalent.

I’m starting to think it’s a pure mental/emotional block now but if anyone has any surefire winners they can recommend I’m all ears. Doesn’t have to be sophisticated – I’ll start with an alternative for a cheese toastie that doesn’t make me feel sad/nauseous.

Pronouns: He/Him

Cheese on 18:52 - Apr 7 with 875 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It may well herald the death of veganism.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Cheese on 19:15 - Apr 7 with 853 viewsclive_baker

Cheese on 18:51 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

In my move away from dairy that’s worked like an absolute charm with milk, yoghurt, butter etc, I still haven’t found the same cheese equivalent.

I’m starting to think it’s a pure mental/emotional block now but if anyone has any surefire winners they can recommend I’m all ears. Doesn’t have to be sophisticated – I’ll start with an alternative for a cheese toastie that doesn’t make me feel sad/nauseous.

I'll save you a lot of time, effort and money....it's not possible. People will tell you otherwise, but it's not possible. I've been vegan in the past and I've tasted 100's of alternatives through work. Some are better than others, but honestly I've not seen anyone 'nail' it yet. They will, in time, but I feel for you right now.

If you're just melting it, something like Sheeze might be OK. But if you're in the market for something on a cracker you'll struggle IMO.

Cheese on 19:16 - Apr 7 with 849 viewsclive_baker

Cheese on 18:43 - Apr 7 by factual_blue

Do you realise what proportion of our cheese is imported?

71%?

Cheese on 19:25 - Apr 7 with 837 viewsDarth_Koont

Cheese on 19:15 - Apr 7 by clive_baker

I'll save you a lot of time, effort and money....it's not possible. People will tell you otherwise, but it's not possible. I've been vegan in the past and I've tasted 100's of alternatives through work. Some are better than others, but honestly I've not seen anyone 'nail' it yet. They will, in time, but I feel for you right now.

If you're just melting it, something like Sheeze might be OK. But if you're in the market for something on a cracker you'll struggle IMO.

Cheers, Clive.

Good to get the expert view because I thought it must be me just unwilling and unable to cross that final cheesy frontier. I’ll give the Sheeze toastie a try though, thanks.

And yeah, fully agree that they’ll crack the problem sometime soon. Not just science inevitably finding a way but because of the financial incentive ... the demand for a great vegan cheese (and its market value) must be absolutely massive by now. Whoever cracks it will own the market overnight.

Cheese on 19:33 - Apr 7 with 826 viewsclive_baker

Cheese on 19:25 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

Cheers, Clive.

Good to get the expert view because I thought it must be me just unwilling and unable to cross that final cheesy frontier. I’ll give the Sheeze toastie a try though, thanks.

And yeah, fully agree that they’ll crack the problem sometime soon. Not just science inevitably finding a way but because of the financial incentive ... the demand for a great vegan cheese (and its market value) must be absolutely massive by now. Whoever cracks it will own the market overnight.

I completely agree. Whoever wins in that space will have a very sizable business, the Cheese category in the UK alone is something like £3bn. If anyone can disrupt it like Oatly have to milk they'll be onto a winner, and there's a lot of people trying right now and the R&D investment is huge, so it's only a matter of time. There are some passable alternatives, but once someone nails a dairy free cheese, and brand, without compromise, they'll kill it.

Nice one for doing your bit for the planet though. I do feel bad as I have chowed down on a lovely mature cheddar with chutney. It was great though.

This is a brand to watch in US, they're doing a plant based Egg which apprantly is pretty good. There's one over here called crack'd but I've heard not such good things.

https://www.ju.st/

Login to get fewer ads

Cheese on 19:46 - Apr 7 with 809 viewsDarth_Koont

Cheese on 19:33 - Apr 7 by clive_baker

I completely agree. Whoever wins in that space will have a very sizable business, the Cheese category in the UK alone is something like £3bn. If anyone can disrupt it like Oatly have to milk they'll be onto a winner, and there's a lot of people trying right now and the R&D investment is huge, so it's only a matter of time. There are some passable alternatives, but once someone nails a dairy free cheese, and brand, without compromise, they'll kill it.

Nice one for doing your bit for the planet though. I do feel bad as I have chowed down on a lovely mature cheddar with chutney. It was great though.

This is a brand to watch in US, they're doing a plant based Egg which apprantly is pretty good. There's one over here called crack'd but I've heard not such good things.

https://www.ju.st/

Cheers. I’ll check it out.

To be honest, cutting out meat and dairy was more to humour and support my daughters who made the clearly right choice and I followed along. The awful environmental stats on beef in particular and dairy too (even local and organic is pissing in the planet’s face), as well as the generally good flavour of the alternatives, make it easy to keep it up though.

Vegan cheese is my kryptonite. 😔

Cheese on 19:53 - Apr 7 with 788 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cheese on 19:46 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

Cheers. I’ll check it out.

To be honest, cutting out meat and dairy was more to humour and support my daughters who made the clearly right choice and I followed along. The awful environmental stats on beef in particular and dairy too (even local and organic is pissing in the planet’s face), as well as the generally good flavour of the alternatives, make it easy to keep it up though.

Vegan cheese is my kryptonite. 😔

Tell them that road kill is the only ethical choice.

Cheese on 19:58 - Apr 7 with 780 viewsOldsmoker

Yes.
I have a half-finished Boursin soft cheese with herbs and garlic which I shall be smothering over Carrs Cheese Melts crackers once I've finished my chicken jalfrezi.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Cheese on 20:14 - Apr 7 with 765 viewsDarth_Koont

Cheese on 19:53 - Apr 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Tell them that road kill is the only ethical choice.

Kids aren’t great with new stuff. I think Badger Au Vin will be a hard sell.

Cheese on 20:23 - Apr 7 with 751 viewsNthQldITFC

I've just stopped eating the buggar; now you tell me!

In terms of dairy-free cheeses, I haven't bothered to try to find any, based on the expressed opinions of various well-regarded folk. I do think science will nail it eventually, but perhaps not in the way we assume. My money is on mining it from the moon, which will be a worthy excuse for the use of rocket fuel. Has that dopey Tory bint (apologies) arranged a trade deal with the Clangers yet?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Cheese on 20:28 - Apr 7 with 741 viewsNthQldITFC

Cheese on 20:23 - Apr 7 by NthQldITFC

I've just stopped eating the buggar; now you tell me!

In terms of dairy-free cheeses, I haven't bothered to try to find any, based on the expressed opinions of various well-regarded folk. I do think science will nail it eventually, but perhaps not in the way we assume. My money is on mining it from the moon, which will be a worthy excuse for the use of rocket fuel. Has that dopey Tory bint (apologies) arranged a trade deal with the Clangers yet?

Oh Christ! I've just remembered they made her Foreign Secretary! What sort of world do we live in where that is possible?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Cheese on 20:31 - Apr 7 with 737 viewsjeera

Cheese on 19:58 - Apr 7 by Oldsmoker

Yes.
I have a half-finished Boursin soft cheese with herbs and garlic which I shall be smothering over Carrs Cheese Melts crackers once I've finished my chicken jalfrezi.

A sort of Indo-Gaulish fusion.

Interesting.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cheese on 20:43 - Apr 7 with 711 viewsBLUEBEAT

N to the Cheese

Poll: W or W

Cheese on 21:04 - Apr 7 with 695 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cheese on 20:14 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

Kids aren’t great with new stuff. I think Badger Au Vin will be a hard sell.

Badger is much better as a steak with a nice chianti.

Cheese on 21:23 - Apr 7 with 662 viewsDarth_Koont

Cheese on 21:04 - Apr 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Badger is much better as a steak with a nice chianti.

Don’t forget the fava beans.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024