Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rome recommendations.... 08:41 - Apr 8 with 2219 viewsitfcjoe

You know the drill - but going there for my Mother in laws 60th in mid May so any advice greatly appreciated.

I also have wangled managing to stay an extra day on my own to go to Roma v Venezia before flying back on the Monday morning opposed to Sunday afternoon

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rome recommendations.... on 09:16 - Apr 8 with 2140 viewshype313

Not that I can I personally help, but I watched Joanna Lumley in Rome last night, also more recently Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy did a really good episode in Rome.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Rome recommendations.... on 09:19 - Apr 8 with 2136 viewsMullet

I loved a day trip to Ostia as I like all that ancient stuff to look at. Probably one to decide as a group though.

Tick off all the tourist spots, and get the evening tour of the Colosseum if you can. If you've got kids that probably won't happen though.

Never eat on any of the main squares, always find something a street or two away. This is especially true for gelato.

The Vatican is worth seeing but go as early as possible and book ahead etc if that's your thing.

We did loads of walking, so just stumbled on to things or sat and had a coffee and planned the next stop which worked well.

If you're going into anywhere religious there will be blokes outside insisting someone isn't dressed appropriately and needs to buy an extortionately priced cloth off them to cover up. Don't fall for it.

If you can get a pale blue suit and red tie and pretend you're Gregory Peck, all the better.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Rome recommendations.... on 09:22 - Apr 8 with 2136 viewsKieran_Knows

Probably not what you want to hear, but when I went Rome back in 2019, I have to say I was very disappointed with it. Probably the worst City break I've been on thus far.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Rome recommendations.... on 10:18 - Apr 8 with 2054 viewsBlueandTruesince82

The Vatican is a must I'm not religious and expected to underwhelmed by the whole place but the sistine Chapel is breath taking.

From memory all the best shopping is near the Spanish steps. The steps themselves are not that impressive but I imagine MIL and OH will enjoy the shops.

The basilica, the forum and of course the colosseum, all v touristy but all worth it.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Rome recommendations.... on 10:25 - Apr 8 with 2037 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Rome recommendations.... on 10:18 - Apr 8 by BlueandTruesince82

The Vatican is a must I'm not religious and expected to underwhelmed by the whole place but the sistine Chapel is breath taking.

From memory all the best shopping is near the Spanish steps. The steps themselves are not that impressive but I imagine MIL and OH will enjoy the shops.

The basilica, the forum and of course the colosseum, all v touristy but all worth it.

That's the Pantheon (Basilica of St. Mary and the Martyrs not the one at the Vatican which you will see anyway if you go

Also Santa Maria in Trastevere

I'm fact https://www.planetware.com/italy/top-rated-churches-in-rome-i-zzz-16.htm for all the pretty churches.

I'd also add if you haven't actually booked yet push for Florence instead...its much nicer.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Rome recommendations.... on 10:28 - Apr 8 with 2029 viewshype313

Rome recommendations.... on 10:25 - Apr 8 by BlueandTruesince82

That's the Pantheon (Basilica of St. Mary and the Martyrs not the one at the Vatican which you will see anyway if you go

Also Santa Maria in Trastevere

I'm fact https://www.planetware.com/italy/top-rated-churches-in-rome-i-zzz-16.htm for all the pretty churches.

I'd also add if you haven't actually booked yet push for Florence instead...its much nicer.

Went to Florence in 2019, brilliant place, would go back in a heartbeat.

Can't compare as I haven't been to Rome, but would highly recommend Florence.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Rome recommendations.... on 10:35 - Apr 8 with 2016 viewsElephantintheRoom

In the far off days when I went there for work I seem to remember sitting at cafes near the Tivoli fountains with a certain fondness. Watch out for pickpockets. You could try telling a taxi driver what you think of Tammy Abraham.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Rome recommendations.... on 10:40 - Apr 8 with 2001 viewsWD19

Rome recommendations.... on 09:22 - Apr 8 by Kieran_Knows

Probably not what you want to hear, but when I went Rome back in 2019, I have to say I was very disappointed with it. Probably the worst City break I've been on thus far.

For a bit of balance, probably my favourite place in Europe.

Everything a short walk away. Good food everywhere. Lots to see. Weather generally decent.
Login to get fewer ads

Rome recommendations.... on 10:53 - Apr 8 with 1981 viewsDJR

In my view, Rome is the best city in terms of sights that I have visited. All of the things mentioned above are highly recommended. The thing is you can be walking along any street in Rome and come across fantastic buildings from any era. You're visiting at a great time because it won't be too hot, and there shouldn't be too many tourists. I might add that St Peter's in August is a nightmare in terms of numbers of visitors. Whilst not from ancient times, perhaps the most spectacular building I have ever seen is the Monument to Victor Emmanuel II which celebrated Italian unification. In my view its size, its setting on a hill and its white colour only add its magnificence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Emmanuel_II_Monument
[Post edited 8 Apr 2022 10:54]
Rome recommendations.... on 10:57 - Apr 8 with 1943 viewsclive_baker

Yeah but that's because you thought the Spanish Steps were a tribute band.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rome recommendations.... on 11:01 - Apr 8 with 1922 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Loved Rome.
Colosseum and Vatican best to pre book,
Parthenon, Spanish Steps plus loads of other places of interest all a fairly easy walk from each other.
Many good restaurants and bars away from the main squares for a reasonably priced meal and drinks.
Have a great time and enjoy the match.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Rome recommendations.... on 11:01 - Apr 8 with 1923 viewschicoazul

The Sistine Chapel is probably the greatest artistic achievement in human history.
And eat lots of ice cream.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Rome recommendations.... on 11:06 - Apr 8 with 1900 viewsKieran_Knows

Rome recommendations.... on 10:40 - Apr 8 by WD19

Everything a short walk away. Good food everywhere. Lots to see. Weather generally decent.

Each to their own of course. The main tourist attractions were very good of course, but I don't know, it seems to be bigged up to be this amazing place, and I just thought it was a bit meh.

Having been on several City breaks elsewhere, I'd rank Berlin & Lucerne as the 2 best ones I have been on. Would go back to those in a heartbeat.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Rome recommendations.... on 11:10 - Apr 8 with 1890 viewsloyalfan

I would think you are in the minority not liking Rome. I am not a great culture vulture but absolutely fell in love with Rome. Just wandering aimlessly around is a treat. Its stunning.
Rome recommendations.... on 11:13 - Apr 8 with 1876 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Yep and parts of it are like being on a film set.

Just worked out it's 15 years since my last visit. Vatican well worth doing (early) and then the Spanish steps, Colosseum etc too.

Food generally good and like anywhere in Italy no need to pay top EUR for it and avoid the main squares.
Rome recommendations.... on 11:21 - Apr 8 with 1864 viewsclive_baker

Rome recommendations.... on 11:06 - Apr 8 by Kieran_Knows

Each to their own of course. The main tourist attractions were very good of course, but I don't know, it seems to be bigged up to be this amazing place, and I just thought it was a bit meh.

Having been on several City breaks elsewhere, I'd rank Berlin & Lucerne as the 2 best ones I have been on. Would go back to those in a heartbeat.

I think that's exactly right, each to their own. The first time I went to Rome it p1ssed down from the second I arrived to when I left, all weekend. Waiting in the rain to go into the Vatican, generally just getting soaked everywhere. It wasn't particularly fun, looked greyer and grubbier than it probably was, grafitti everywhere, I was with an ex who was a complete d1ck head and generally had a pants time (although the architecture is undeniably incredible). The fact the Romans were throwing that up while we were living in mud huts blows the mind really.

I've been back since and had amazing experiences there though. I love Italy, and while Rome isn't really the Italy I love in the same respect Paris isn't the France I love as I'm not really a city boy at heart, they're quality places.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rome recommendations.... on 11:33 - Apr 8 with 1839 viewsdickie

I'm with you on this, there and Berlin are two of my favourites for a city break
Rome recommendations.... on 17:34 - Apr 8 with 1656 viewsGeoffSentence

Avoid the legionaries. If they offer to have a photo with you tell the to sod off as they will demand payment afterwards.

Rome is great, history on every corner, but it can be a rip off pricewise, so make sure you know what you will be paying for something before ordering.

The things I particularly enjoyed in Rome were completely unexpected, watching a huge murmuration of Starlings over The Forums at sunset and stumbing across the Changing Of The Guard at Quirinal Palace.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Rome recommendations.... on 19:02 - Apr 8 with 1611 viewsMatt_Netherlands

As others said, make sure you book colloseum and Vatican in advance if you can.

Trastevere great for an authentic feel of living like a local in rome. Food there much cheaper too, can recommend Dar Poeta for pizza.

Campo di Fiori is a bit of a hidden gem for a bustling authentic market during the day and a square full of bars and restaurants for the evening.

In rome (and Italy in general) Happy hour is a good time for an early evening drink and just means free snacks with slightly cheaper drinks - not the bingefest they are most places!

Make sure you do the forum as well as the colloseum

If you’re into your history the castle (Castel Sant Angelo) near the Vatican is a good muse for an hour or two.
Rome recommendations.... on 19:40 - Apr 8 with 1573 viewsMullet

It was my least favourite place in Italy when I went bar Pisa (which is proper bobbins) but the history was phenomenal.

I think the problem was we'd been to Florence and other parts of Tuscany which suited me more. There's a weird thing with these mega cities that outside of the landmarks the day to day experience is hard to get on with too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Rome recommendations.... on 20:41 - Apr 8 with 1544 viewsWonky

If you've not been to Italy before, yes do get gelato. There's no comparison to icecream we have here.
Rome recommendations.... on 05:57 - Apr 9 with 1355 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Flew in for England Ukraine last July for a long weekend. Was only a quick trip but my main recommendation would be for restaurants and bars to stay the Trastevere side of the river.
Rome recommendations.... on 06:59 - Apr 9 with 1322 viewsJTRNB

With young children, or if you like cats, I'd definitely recommend the cat sanctuary set within the ruins of the Argentina Forum - including the senate steps where Julius Caesar was murdered. Spotting the cats is great fun for the kids and you can still soak up some history if that's your thing.

https://www.gattidiroma.net/web/en/

If you feel up to the steep uphill walk, the Palatine Hill is worth a visit for the views.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024