Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Criticisms of McKenna and drift 19:46 - Apr 9 with 6657 viewsMullet

Well today seems like a good day and time to start them eh? Another decent away following, a good rendition of EEJB and some lovely old faces to catch up with all before we got going.

I think seeing a lino go down injured and then a stadium announcement asking for anyone with a ref qualification to step up was a first, and stark reminder of the nature of this league. We'd already taken the lead and could have a goal before then had Chaplin's header been like Norwood's and anywhere away from the keeper's hands.

It's pretty clear when we want to, this side can keep the ball away from pretty much any team. But that stoppage in play never really saw us a hit stride and our lurching from comfortable, to casual to careless seemed to be a continuous cycle.

One the game restarted we didn't look all that ruthless. Trying to find the right opening, the right shot instead of just taking whatever we were presented with is grand when you're winning. However, once we were down to ten men it was only ever an equaliser away from everything falling apart.

God knows what Burgess was doing when he saw red, he was miles up the pitch, there was no challenge to make and when you fly in like that after so many bad tackles from either side you're not getting a telling off.

It also meant the subs of Bonne and Celina had to be scrapped. So when Whalley hit his worldie, it was no surprise we'd spent the few mins between looking shakier and retreating more.

I'm not sure I'd keep Norwood, the fire is there but he seems to self-combust far too much. He probably protected Mors a bit in getting his booking but rode his luck not getting a second card. A change might do all parties good.

Penney did little to suggest he's the answer. The same issue of getting caught behind and hitting the first man with his crosses too often means he's not got long to really progress as much as needed. Thompson came in and made a couple of good interceptions and seems far more coachable, but isn't the LWB we need for next season either.

It's pretty remarkable we keep giving points away, we can't leave 9th like it's some sort of toxic partner of ours, and we can look so dominant but be so fragile. Ultimately, this isn't McKenna's team and it might not even be one he's made in his image. So worrying about the problems when the season is now stagnant is rather pointless, and makes moaning fairly redundant too.

After today I'd probably sign Bakinson and look to coach him if I was McK and really let go of Norwood and Bonne and see if there is a striker better suited to taking the kind of chances we do make than just having one of each type and throwing them on.

I'm still not sure if it's that we can't kill teams off, or we can't bring ourselves to deviate from recycling the ball so much that we miss the opportunity to have shot, to drill a low cross in to make keeper's hesitate or defenders flick out a leg and divert the ball into a scramble.

For me, there's little left to worry about other than giving minutes to those he wants to keep here and seeing what connections they make. Outside of all that, we looked pretty much on the beach already.

The pressure is creeping up on McKenna already and I think that's fair enough but he has done a lot of very good things with this team, and deserves the summer and plenty of backing before any of us worry too much. The flaws all look very superficial to me.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 19:53 - Apr 9 with 4537 viewsgtsb1966

Let's be honest, anyone criticising KM now haven't got a clue. If we are miles off it come next October then yes but not now. We'll fly next season.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 19:58 - Apr 9 with 4483 viewspointofblue

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 19:53 - Apr 9 by gtsb1966

Let's be honest, anyone criticising KM now haven't got a clue. If we are miles off it come next October then yes but not now. We'll fly next season.

Not having a dig but wasn't similar said by some about Cook last April?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 21:07 - Apr 9 with 4271 viewsBluearmy71

I have to say I agree with nearly all that you said there with the exception of Bonne and the pressure creeping up on KM already. apart from the KM pressure bit I think your last paragraph is spot on and probably is what most sensible supporters feel.

Your whole post sums things up well, our real journey starts next season, it won't be easy, football never is but I am confident we will be up there fighting for top spot.

The excitement and wonder of whom KM may bring in, in the transfer window has got me already.

Once again, really good thoughtful and realistic post, lets just go into next season with hope and confidence rather than expectancy!!
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 21:17 - Apr 9 with 4233 viewstimothyeo

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 19:58 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

Exactly this.

And Lambert before.

I got accused of going far too early on both but ultimately couldn't have been proven more right.

The difference is Mckenna has shown more than either of them, but not without fault.

Hoping by the end of the season we see some clear examples of him being able to change a game tactically in our favour.

He also needs to show ideally that he can do a bit more than just set us up to be hard to beat. That might end up being enough in itself next season for the playoffs but relying on individual talent to then score the goals rather than good and consistent chance creation is a dangerous game. It'll also depend what our attacking personnel looks like next season.

McKenna alot better than Cook but that in itself isn't hugely hard.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 21:23 - Apr 9 with 4205 viewsChurchman

It wasn’t the same at all. Last season’s team was waving its rear end in the air at Northampton and Wimbledon. This team is dominant in virtually every game, but doesn’t have the ability to finish them off.

Ok, the season has been a failure. We should have done better, but we are so close to having a ‘new one ripping’ team for this level.

KM needs time, the CEOs, the owners and our support.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 21:43 - Apr 9 with 4099 viewsxrayspecs

Good post.

January is not a time to do major transfer business, so the summer window will be first real opportunity for KM to reshape the squad.

There are some obvious gaps in the squad but I would argue that all but Norwood and Penney of today's starters should be here next season. I would sign Bakinson. Of today's subs, Piggott, Carroll, El Miz, and Bonne have question marks over them.

I can see first team places for Baggott and Nbada next season.

So, potentially looking for four priority additions during the summer - LWB, No.10 and two forwards.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 22:05 - Apr 9 with 4008 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I am pretty sure I have heard the call for anyone with a qualification to make themselves known so they can step in as fourth official before. The FA don't provide a reserve match official at any level I don't think. Maybe the Premier League does.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 22:29 - Apr 9 with 3939 viewsFrimleyBlue

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 21:23 - Apr 9 by Churchman

It wasn’t the same at all. Last season’s team was waving its rear end in the air at Northampton and Wimbledon. This team is dominant in virtually every game, but doesn’t have the ability to finish them off.

Ok, the season has been a failure. We should have done better, but we are so close to having a ‘new one ripping’ team for this level.

KM needs time, the CEOs, the owners and our support.

Altho there's alot more to be said of the football we are at least playing minus the goals... wasn't one of cooks problems drawing a run of games against low opposition? And there was hope that by being demolition man we'd see a much improved town up the top end of the pitch.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 23:05 - Apr 9 with 3870 viewsGuthrum

Great to see you and Senior today.

'... we can't bring ourselves to deviate from recycling the ball so much that we miss the opportunity to have shot ...' This was key for me today. We can pass the ball around at will, jink about with it in the opposition area, get it back with ease when lost. But nobody seems to want to actually shoot. There's a seeming obsession with putting in a pretty cross and someone getting on the end of it. Which worked once for Norwood's goal, but didn't the rest of the time - either intercepted or nobody in the right place to deliver the final blow.

Thus while we were cruising, dominating posession, the game was at the same time curiously drifting. The longer it drifted, at only 1 - 0, the greater the risk of something bad happening. Which it eventually did with the inexplicable Burgess lunge, followed by a fortuitous drop of the ball to a Shrews player, an opening in our defence and a superb, swerving shot.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 23:11 - Apr 9 with 3827 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 23:05 - Apr 9 by Guthrum

Great to see you and Senior today.

'... we can't bring ourselves to deviate from recycling the ball so much that we miss the opportunity to have shot ...' This was key for me today. We can pass the ball around at will, jink about with it in the opposition area, get it back with ease when lost. But nobody seems to want to actually shoot. There's a seeming obsession with putting in a pretty cross and someone getting on the end of it. Which worked once for Norwood's goal, but didn't the rest of the time - either intercepted or nobody in the right place to deliver the final blow.

Thus while we were cruising, dominating posession, the game was at the same time curiously drifting. The longer it drifted, at only 1 - 0, the greater the risk of something bad happening. Which it eventually did with the inexplicable Burgess lunge, followed by a fortuitous drop of the ball to a Shrews player, an opening in our defence and a superb, swerving shot.

Oddly it is what happened under Lambert too. We were doing fine and then became obsessed with keeping the ball at the expense of creating good scoring chances. We must have had amongst the least shots on goal in the second half of the last couple of seasons.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 23:16 - Apr 9 with 3809 viewshype313

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 21:17 - Apr 9 by timothyeo

Exactly this.

And Lambert before.

I got accused of going far too early on both but ultimately couldn't have been proven more right.

The difference is Mckenna has shown more than either of them, but not without fault.

Hoping by the end of the season we see some clear examples of him being able to change a game tactically in our favour.

He also needs to show ideally that he can do a bit more than just set us up to be hard to beat. That might end up being enough in itself next season for the playoffs but relying on individual talent to then score the goals rather than good and consistent chance creation is a dangerous game. It'll also depend what our attacking personnel looks like next season.

McKenna alot better than Cook but that in itself isn't hugely hard.

At least give him a summer window before you bin him off.

Look at what he has done with players he inherited, imagine what he can do with his own.

Norwood, Bonne, Piggot are all a million miles away from the sort of player he would choose.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 00:51 - Apr 10 with 3688 viewsBonchosBicycle

I've heard this a couple of times recently and it's true: We keep trying to score perfect goals. That's great but they're like pearls and are only going to come once a game at best, probably less. We need to keep trying for - and occasionally succeeding in - that, but also need to score off our shins, in goalmouth scrambles, from penalties earned from driving into the box and making the defence make rash decisions. Sh*thouse a few more goals alongside the beauties and we will be a real force.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 04:21 - Apr 10 with 3590 viewsBigCommon

Nice write up, and pretty fare assessment imo...
I think we've got a decent shout of promotion next season, assuming we get the window right.. But I hope our supporters don't think it's going to be some kind of cake walk.. Of the 8 teams above us. 5 will remain in L1.. Just below us, Bolton, Pompey and Charlton, will all fancy themselves as challengers. Chuck in the 3 teams relegated from The Championship.. The top half of L1, next season, will be an absolute dog fight by the looks of it...
However, some of those teams mentioned, will , most likely lose a few players. Here and there... At least we should have some stability at our club. Which will hopefully see us off to a solid start.. I'm optimistic for next season. But, I'm not buying into any kind of "pi55 the league" mentality.. We are going to have to really earn a promotion, if it happens next season...
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 4:23]
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 07:00 - Apr 10 with 3467 viewsBaltachaFanClub

As always, you are hitting nails on heads.
However, I would keep Norwood. I think he is still quite the unique strike option, and whomever comes in would benefit in having him as a partner or even an impact sub.
For me, Jackson, Bonne and Pigott are all under scrutiny, despite KMs comments about stats aligning for Jackson to stay.
I also believe yesterdays Red card may be bad news for Burgess, who intimated during the week that all players are playing for futures. KM seemed rather angry with the towering defenders choice of tackle.

As you know, I read a lot of various football stuff, and love a good old game of FM. But in this current formation I haven’t got a clue who would fit the LWB role, Thompson won’t be staying, Penney isn’t defensive enough in that role, although he does offer a little going forward.

Our summer doesn’t need to be a big transfer window, it’s going to be a little bit of streamlining after the summer of 51 moves (in and out) we need the LWB and another striker, and for me, one option is Cambridges Ironside, he seems to be the player Pigott was meant to be.

No more loanees would please me too.

We have a small squad of youths to sift through, and some may have to leave, what will happen to Simpson, Morris, Ndaba, El Miz, Dobra, Clements, Baggott, Humphreys, (and all of KDs listed “greats”)

If I get the chance today, I will look at LWB info.

Oh, and see you at Crewe.

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 09:11 - Apr 10 with 3270 viewsGuthrum

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 04:21 - Apr 10 by BigCommon

Nice write up, and pretty fare assessment imo...
I think we've got a decent shout of promotion next season, assuming we get the window right.. But I hope our supporters don't think it's going to be some kind of cake walk.. Of the 8 teams above us. 5 will remain in L1.. Just below us, Bolton, Pompey and Charlton, will all fancy themselves as challengers. Chuck in the 3 teams relegated from The Championship.. The top half of L1, next season, will be an absolute dog fight by the looks of it...
However, some of those teams mentioned, will , most likely lose a few players. Here and there... At least we should have some stability at our club. Which will hopefully see us off to a solid start.. I'm optimistic for next season. But, I'm not buying into any kind of "pi55 the league" mentality.. We are going to have to really earn a promotion, if it happens next season...
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 4:23]

The problem this season was that by the time ITFC got ourselves properly organised, we were too far behind to catch up. There has to be an assumption, as you say, that the upper echelon of League One will be as competitive as we have seen in 2021-22.

We don't necessarily have to hit top in August and stay there for all the following eight months. But we do need to be no lower than 4th (and not more than about three points adrift of the automatics) at the end of September, November, January and March. That will leave us with the achievable run-in we didn't have this time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 09:20 - Apr 10 with 3240 viewsChurchman

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 09:11 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

The problem this season was that by the time ITFC got ourselves properly organised, we were too far behind to catch up. There has to be an assumption, as you say, that the upper echelon of League One will be as competitive as we have seen in 2021-22.

We don't necessarily have to hit top in August and stay there for all the following eight months. But we do need to be no lower than 4th (and not more than about three points adrift of the automatics) at the end of September, November, January and March. That will leave us with the achievable run-in we didn't have this time.

Agreed, in retrospect the club was in no state to compete in August with all that had happened. The way in which team changes were done didn’t help. . We don’t need a brilliant first six games, just decent and in touch.

Yes, there will be healthy competition next season and it’s KMs job to try and get us to a level above that. I know we are short up front, but we have a good defence, including possibly the best keeper in this Division.

The midfield is decent - just the top of the team to sort along with set pieces. Easier said than done, but in terms of ins and outs, this is the area he has to concentrate on. At least he’s not having to rebuild the whole squad.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 16:28 - Apr 10 with 3027 viewsGarv

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 07:00 - Apr 10 by BaltachaFanClub

As always, you are hitting nails on heads.
However, I would keep Norwood. I think he is still quite the unique strike option, and whomever comes in would benefit in having him as a partner or even an impact sub.
For me, Jackson, Bonne and Pigott are all under scrutiny, despite KMs comments about stats aligning for Jackson to stay.
I also believe yesterdays Red card may be bad news for Burgess, who intimated during the week that all players are playing for futures. KM seemed rather angry with the towering defenders choice of tackle.

As you know, I read a lot of various football stuff, and love a good old game of FM. But in this current formation I haven’t got a clue who would fit the LWB role, Thompson won’t be staying, Penney isn’t defensive enough in that role, although he does offer a little going forward.

Our summer doesn’t need to be a big transfer window, it’s going to be a little bit of streamlining after the summer of 51 moves (in and out) we need the LWB and another striker, and for me, one option is Cambridges Ironside, he seems to be the player Pigott was meant to be.

No more loanees would please me too.

We have a small squad of youths to sift through, and some may have to leave, what will happen to Simpson, Morris, Ndaba, El Miz, Dobra, Clements, Baggott, Humphreys, (and all of KDs listed “greats”)

If I get the chance today, I will look at LWB info.

Oh, and see you at Crewe.

Norwood is the type of striker that, come next season when we're tapping it around for fun but not winning games, a number of people will be looking at thinking they'd love to have him in our side.

He shouldn't really be starting every week next season, but I think we'd be mad not to keep him around. As you say, he's unique and for what it's worth he puts in more effort than anyone. We've had plenty of players over the years who don't appear to care - I don't think you can level that at him.

It's also funny, when he gets involved in fights and shows aggression, it's unnecessary and petty. When Morsy does it it's fine. I love what they both do.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 16:53]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 20:23 - Apr 10 with 2786 viewswkj

Key difference is that ITFC improved under McKenna. Cook and Lambert never managed to improve the team under their stewardship, or rather, their performance.

Yes, 'be patient' has run it's course over the last number of seasons, but this time we know that McKenna is the man the new ownership wants, the team is mostly what the manager wants, and this is the first summer in a long long time where a few minor tweaks might be all we need, rather than an overhaul / rebuild.

McKenna will need to have a good preseason and opening games, for sure. And yes, as many said to me 'preseason results don't matter' - the way we play toward the last friendlies does.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 20:30 - Apr 10 with 2767 viewsgazzer1999

Cook is not in the same league as McKenna (literally).
We have a young modern manager that with the right backing will take us places, Cook is no where near that standard and never will be. He had his chance at getting into the big time and blew it with 2 sets of players. We have moved on just forget it, just like we had to over the dark lord.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 20:46 - Apr 10 with 2735 viewstractorshark

Agree with most of this but I don’t think there’s any pressure on McKenna right now,

He has probably exceeded all expectations this season.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 00:35 - Apr 11 with 2573 viewsBigCommon

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 09:11 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

Agreed... I'd go along with that... Our inability to win 3 or more in a row, this season, too, has been a head scratcher... I don't think we are far off, a team, that could string 5-6 wins in a row, together.. Given the number of draws we've had (14 so far), and the manner of some of those draws. Games we've dominated and should have put to bed... I think most fans agree, that we lack a cutting edge.. Hopefully, that will be addressed pre season, with one or two new faces ... One advantage I think we will have over some of our rivals next season, is the power of further investment in the January window, if we are sniffing around the automatics. Which, again, is a time , when some teams are hoping to hang on to existing players.. I'd like to think , that K Mc will be backed to the hilt, to push on strongly. I'm really optimistic , but at the same time, it does feel a little bit "now or never" for next season, already. Only, in the sense that, the huge wave of optimism and momentum gained from the take over, Could start to ebb away, if things don't go well.. (no pressure Kieran).. Like wise, that same wave of optimism, could become a veritable tsunami of positivity should we go up.. It's important to keep that momentum, which, I believe is still there. Proof of which is in the numbers of supporters we are getting at matches, both home and away...
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 3:52]
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 07:08 - Apr 11 with 2421 viewsLeoMuff

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 00:35 - Apr 11 by BigCommon

Agreed... I'd go along with that... Our inability to win 3 or more in a row, this season, too, has been a head scratcher... I don't think we are far off, a team, that could string 5-6 wins in a row, together.. Given the number of draws we've had (14 so far), and the manner of some of those draws. Games we've dominated and should have put to bed... I think most fans agree, that we lack a cutting edge.. Hopefully, that will be addressed pre season, with one or two new faces ... One advantage I think we will have over some of our rivals next season, is the power of further investment in the January window, if we are sniffing around the automatics. Which, again, is a time , when some teams are hoping to hang on to existing players.. I'd like to think , that K Mc will be backed to the hilt, to push on strongly. I'm really optimistic , but at the same time, it does feel a little bit "now or never" for next season, already. Only, in the sense that, the huge wave of optimism and momentum gained from the take over, Could start to ebb away, if things don't go well.. (no pressure Kieran).. Like wise, that same wave of optimism, could become a veritable tsunami of positivity should we go up.. It's important to keep that momentum, which, I believe is still there. Proof of which is in the numbers of supporters we are getting at matches, both home and away...
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 3:52]

I think the now or never mentality is really damaging for us, this is a tough league to get out of, as w3 have seen luck also plays a significant part. It puts us under massive pressure with that now or never feeling, every defeat is a catastrophe or bad run.

Game changer are here for the long ish term, and hopefully we will keep improving but it may take longer than next season.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 08:36 - Apr 11 with 2355 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Our record under Cook at the back end of last season was awful. Mckennas isnt.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 10:01 - Apr 11 with 2255 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Good assessment. I think KMK has shown us in spades that he can get this team to play, it's been a joy to watch. Next season though it is about whether he can change the mentality and get this team to win.
Criticisms of McKenna and drift on 10:50 - Apr 11 with 2183 viewsgordon

36 points from 19 means challenging for automatic places, there are no question marks at all for me. Assuming we prioritise signing a really good left wing-back and a striker, then I can't see any reason for concern at all.

While our goalkeeper and back three will be as good as any in the league. He's probably got a bit of a job making sense of the likes of Evans, Carroll, Edwards, Bonne, Dobra, El Mizouni, Pigott, Norwood, Celina, Bakinson and Harper who could all reasonably be kept on or discarded - I'd hope we go for minimal churn and minimal loans, but could imagine that Ashton and the Gamechangers might err on the side of encouraging more transfer activity than is healthy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024