Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? 09:49 - Apr 12 with 1718 viewsKeno

Inspired by Hypy and cos I'm bored does anyone know anything interesting vaguely Hull related?

All I can think of is Rod Hull, although he came from Kent and Emu, which come from Australis

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:46 - Apr 13 with 562 viewsWeWereZombies

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:39 - Apr 13 by blueasfook

Housemartins (and latterly Beautiful South) hail from Hull.

Paul Heaton could regularly be found drinking in a pub called the Grafton Arms when I was a student there.

Also, Everything But The Girl formed in Kingston upon Hull whilst both Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt were students at the university. When I fact checked this on Wikipedia just now I found out that they took there name from a slogan used by a local furniture shop:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_but_the_Girl

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:53 - Apr 13 with 544 viewsmylittletown

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:46 - Apr 13 by WeWereZombies

Also, Everything But The Girl formed in Kingston upon Hull whilst both Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt were students at the university. When I fact checked this on Wikipedia just now I found out that they took there name from a slogan used by a local furniture shop:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_but_the_Girl

Well that's one very good thing that came out of Hull, anyway.
(Although they were both from in and around London originally)
Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 12:28 - Apr 13 with 519 viewsWeWereZombies

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:53 - Apr 13 by mylittletown

Well that's one very good thing that came out of Hull, anyway.
(Although they were both from in and around London originally)

True, I always thought Tracey was right (sorry, reet) Northern and was surprised to find out when she was on Desert Island Discs that she is from Brookman's Park.

Perhaps an even bigger noise in rock music from Kingston upon Hull is the main Spider From Mars, Mick Ronson.

Hull also gets name checked in the BE Bop Deluxe song 'Axe Victim':

'Be careful, I'm an axe victim
Hung up on these silver strings
Like wings, like time machines
Like voices on the winds
We hit the road to Hull
You came to watch the band
To see us play our parts
We hoped you'd lend an ear
You hoped we'd dress like tarts'

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 12:46 - Apr 13 with 499 viewsmylittletown

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 12:28 - Apr 13 by WeWereZombies

True, I always thought Tracey was right (sorry, reet) Northern and was surprised to find out when she was on Desert Island Discs that she is from Brookman's Park.

Perhaps an even bigger noise in rock music from Kingston upon Hull is the main Spider From Mars, Mick Ronson.

Hull also gets name checked in the BE Bop Deluxe song 'Axe Victim':

'Be careful, I'm an axe victim
Hung up on these silver strings
Like wings, like time machines
Like voices on the winds
We hit the road to Hull
You came to watch the band
To see us play our parts
We hoped you'd lend an ear
You hoped we'd dress like tarts'

I think that it is a fair bet that Tracey is the most interesting thing to come out of Brookman's Park
Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 13:21 - Apr 13 with 482 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:30 - Apr 12 by blueasfook

What is interesting in North Lincs? Grimsby? Lincoln is nice mind.

S[censored]horpe.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 13:41 - Apr 13 with 475 viewsjontysnut

The Hull Pattie, deep fried mashed potato and sage, is a chip shop favourite.
Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 15:41 - Apr 13 with 439 viewsOldTimer2

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:27 - Apr 12 by blueasfook

Cream-coloured telephone boxes were unique to Hull. Not sure if they still have them.

Yes, the cream coloured phone boxes are still there.

Bobby Robson - thank you

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 17:47 - Apr 13 with 403 viewsjeera

Home to the Kirkella, a British supertrawler which sat there for quite some time in dock redundant after certain fishing laws didn't go our way.

Whilst foreign-owned supertrawlers ran up and down the UK's coastline catching and then selling back to the country English-speaking fish.

Apparently as much as 10% of all of our fish & chips shop fish were caught by the Kirkella before this crisis hit.

I have no idea if it's operational again yet and am too lazy to look right now.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2022 18:02]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 17:54 - Apr 13 with 397 viewsFather_Jack

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 11:25 - Apr 12 by blueasfook

Journalist and Lebanese hostage John McArthy is an alumni of Hull university and the Students Union bar is named after him.

Also, William Wilberforce MP who was instrumental in abolishing slavery.

Yes I was roughly contemporary with him I think. I certainly played tennis with his then girlfriend Jill Morrell who was a leading light behind the friends of John Mccarthy campaign.

Other famous alumni include John Prescott and more notably Phil Ham. Also Everything But The Girl (named after a local furniture shop). Phillip Larkin was also the librarian whilst I was there, and Andrew Motion (novelist and poet laureate) was my English tutor for a while.

Less is more.

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 18:13 - Apr 13 with 391 viewsjontysnut

Interesting vaguely Hull related facts anyone? on 17:47 - Apr 13 by jeera

Home to the Kirkella, a British supertrawler which sat there for quite some time in dock redundant after certain fishing laws didn't go our way.

Whilst foreign-owned supertrawlers ran up and down the UK's coastline catching and then selling back to the country English-speaking fish.

Apparently as much as 10% of all of our fish & chips shop fish were caught by the Kirkella before this crisis hit.

I have no idea if it's operational again yet and am too lazy to look right now.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2022 18:02]

Dead Bod
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024