Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? 12:36 - Apr 12 with 2532 viewsKesgrave_Exile

So today I received a Conservative party Flyer for l the May local elections and in part of their drivel they usually out in one interesting thing stuck out which could have an impact on any future Portman Road development.

They propose to investigate the feasibility of a multi use music and sports arena with a large capacity on Princess Street which the current council wants to build a multi story car park on.

I don't know whether this would have a positive or negative impact if they would look to redevelop the stadium.

Thoughts?

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 12:50 - Apr 12 with 2172 viewshype313

I put return to sender on mine.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:02 - Apr 12 with 2124 viewsmonytowbray

My favourite part was the line about not engaging in “petty party politics”. To my knowledge that’s about the only thing Hunt has done an outstanding job at.

The leaflet then of course goes on to moan about Labour a few times.

SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS - leaflets produced in Peterborough.

Nothing in it about supporting locals with the state inflicted poverty they’ve caused. Nothing about what benefits of Brexit have happened or will be forthcoming.

If your memory is short enough to vote for these con artists you need an intervention - you are in a cult.

Also, this is the 5th Tory leaflet I’ve had in 3 months. In my entire 20 months back in Ipswich I’ve had one Labour leaflet and it was some poor identikit generic rubbish with no real signs of a local campaign or personality. The Tory ones are utilising marketing/propaganda much better on a local level and it makes me wonder if we have local opposition any more.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2022 13:07]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:09 - Apr 12 with 2077 viewsJ2BLUE

Labour came and banged on my door like it was some sort of emergency the other day. I was on the phone at work so ignored it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:10 - Apr 12 with 2058 viewsIllinoisblue

Will it be on the same timeline as snoasis?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:26 - Apr 12 with 1992 viewsSitfcB

Doubt it would make a difference.

For info the multi story car park is being built but only in the corner by the Axa building.

Wouldn’t want to park on the upper levels of that on a matchday! Unless you’re going out after the game for a bit
[Post edited 12 Apr 2022 13:28]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:38 - Apr 12 with 1926 viewshype313

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:26 - Apr 12 by SitfcB

For info the multi story car park is being built but only in the corner by the Axa building.

Wouldn’t want to park on the upper levels of that on a matchday! Unless you’re going out after the game for a bit

Can you imagine, it would cost £30 in gas just to be sat at the top waiting to get down.

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:39 - Apr 12 with 1919 viewswkj

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:26 - Apr 12 by SitfcB

Nice to see them planning on installing a CPU cooler in Ipswich.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:47 - Apr 12 with 1882 viewsSheffordBlue

Wonder if that car park reduces the need for the single storey ones right next to the ground. Ashton has talked about talking with other stakeholders about developng the area around the ground together and that's the obvious bit to do something else with

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Login to get fewer ads

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 14:18 - Apr 12 with 1799 viewsSteve_M

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:10 - Apr 12 by Illinoisblue

Will it be on the same timeline as snoasis?

Sometime after the Mint Quarter?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 14:40 - Apr 12 with 1740 viewsSitfcB

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:38 - Apr 12 by hype313

Can you imagine, it would cost £30 in gas just to be sat at the top waiting to get down.

Fuel, thank you.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:19 - Apr 12 with 1628 viewsFrimleyBlue

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 13:47 - Apr 12 by SheffordBlue

Wonder if that car park reduces the need for the single storey ones right next to the ground. Ashton has talked about talking with other stakeholders about developng the area around the ground together and that's the obvious bit to do something else with

I wondered of we might try and get that bit of land so we could turn the ground ground so the Cobbold became the new Sir BR stand.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:26 - Apr 12 with 1620 viewsabracaDOBRA_

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:19 - Apr 12 by FrimleyBlue

I wondered of we might try and get that bit of land so we could turn the ground ground so the Cobbold became the new Sir BR stand.

What would be the point?
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:35 - Apr 12 with 1578 viewsFrimleyBlue

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:26 - Apr 12 by abracaDOBRA_

What would be the point?

Longer, wider pitch, bigger stands ( SBR for example can't go any further back due to the houses.

Not saying its something that will happen soon if course. But depending on the success I've wondered if it might be a plan.

Waka waka eh eh

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:35 - Apr 12 with 1589 viewsSTYG

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:19 - Apr 12 by FrimleyBlue

What on earth would be the point of that?

Furthermore, there is no way that the length of the pitch would meet requirements. There's not much spare change now from the width of the pitch as it is.

To get the length to meet the required minimum you'd have to knock down the Magnus and Cobbold Stands or, if lucky, remove the front tier of each and have some mad looking bottom tier that was 10ft off the ground.

Is it April Fools again? You've not really thought this one through have you. Spend millions of pounds to try to achieve something that provides no actual benefit and would clearly fail anyway!
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:38 - Apr 12 with 1568 viewsFrimleyBlue

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:35 - Apr 12 by STYG

What on earth would be the point of that?

Furthermore, there is no way that the length of the pitch would meet requirements. There's not much spare change now from the width of the pitch as it is.

To get the length to meet the required minimum you'd have to knock down the Magnus and Cobbold Stands or, if lucky, remove the front tier of each and have some mad looking bottom tier that was 10ft off the ground.

Is it April Fools again? You've not really thought this one through have you. Spend millions of pounds to try to achieve something that provides no actual benefit and would clearly fail anyway!

Cobbold stand will need sorting at some point. It's the oldest remaining stand.

And as said on other reply. It's not something I see happening soon but like the land purchase behind SAR it gives the club an option in the future.

Waka waka eh eh

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:40 - Apr 12 with 1568 viewsSTYG

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:38 - Apr 12 by FrimleyBlue

Cobbold stand will need sorting at some point. It's the oldest remaining stand.

And as said on other reply. It's not something I see happening soon but like the land purchase behind SAR it gives the club an option in the future.

The stand may need to be replaced, but why on earth would we turn the pitch round?

Even if the new stand could be built back (probably not an option with the road, unless the council were happy it to be scrapped and a stand built there), the front rows of the North and South stand would now be about 20 yards from the touchline!
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:42 - Apr 12 with 1545 viewsFrimleyBlue

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:40 - Apr 12 by STYG

The stand may need to be replaced, but why on earth would we turn the pitch round?

Even if the new stand could be built back (probably not an option with the road, unless the council were happy it to be scrapped and a stand built there), the front rows of the North and South stand would now be about 20 yards from the touchline!

Tbh I can see all 4 stands, being redone over the years should the club be as successful as the owners want it to be.

Again. Not something that's gonna happen anytime soon but in the future.

Waka waka eh eh

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 16:00 - Apr 12 with 1511 viewsSTYG

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 15:42 - Apr 12 by FrimleyBlue

Tbh I can see all 4 stands, being redone over the years should the club be as successful as the owners want it to be.

Again. Not something that's gonna happen anytime soon but in the future.

If we are in the Champions League then yes.

Otherwise, I can't imagine much happening. A new Cobbold Stand and the massive scope to redevelop the Magnus stand would take us up to 35,000 or 40,000 easily if that's something the owners really thought needed to be a priority and that would be Villa / Everton levels.

I don't think it's something we need to worry about until we have a couple of seasons of selling out every week.

This club should have learned by now about building new stands!
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 16:00 - Apr 12 with 1508 viewshype313

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 14:40 - Apr 12 by SitfcB

Fuel, thank you.

Alright Facters.

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 16:48 - Apr 12 with 1428 viewsBramidan

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 16:00 - Apr 12 by STYG

If we are in the Champions League then yes.

Otherwise, I can't imagine much happening. A new Cobbold Stand and the massive scope to redevelop the Magnus stand would take us up to 35,000 or 40,000 easily if that's something the owners really thought needed to be a priority and that would be Villa / Everton levels.

I don't think it's something we need to worry about until we have a couple of seasons of selling out every week.

This club should have learned by now about building new stands!

Why oh why would the owners waste that amount of money?
Ground owned by the council and we rent it.
Instead of dreaming about a champions league ground perhaps we should concentrate on getting out of the Third Division first.
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 16:57 - Apr 12 with 1395 viewsFrimleyBlue

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 16:48 - Apr 12 by Bramidan

Instead of dreaming about a champions league ground perhaps we should concentrate on getting out of the Third Division first.

I'm sure the concentration is getting out of league 1.

But like Ashton said you plan short term. Medium and long term. Just like the land behind SAR, an opportunity came up and they took it with the future in mind.

Waka waka eh eh

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 17:09 - Apr 12 with 1375 viewsSTYG

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 16:48 - Apr 12 by Bramidan

It kind of feels like you missed like the whole of my post?

There's absolutely no need to increase the capacity until we are selling out every week for several seasons, potentially not even until we are in the Champions League (as simply, even if we made the Premier League) the ticket sales would be insignificant against the Premier League money.

I don't think at any stage I have dreamed about the Champions League. Simply pointed out there's no need to increase the capacity until such an unlikely scenario became reality.
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 19:15 - Apr 12 with 1268 viewsstonojnr

wasnt that part of the Ipswich Village idea ? the borough council wanted to link the ground up more with Cardinal Park and create a leisure sports quarter destination, with a "leisure square" in between, and so that car park land was always earmarked as a potential leisure development, not a multi storey car park replacement, not actually sure why we need a multi storey car park there anyway

but some kind of multi use type sports/leisure venue that could host events that you often see in other towns and cities of similar size to Ipswich, would be a good idea, because the Corn Exchange isnt big enough for those and the Regent isnt really suitable, and doing well enough it doesnt have space in its calendar anyway and theres no where else in town of suitable size.

but it will come to nowt, the borough council wont support anything they didnt think of first, theres no money for it, or a developer desperately trying to bring that kind of thing to Ipswich anyway, so it wont make a difference how you vote or who is elected
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 19:56 - Apr 12 with 1204 viewsKievthegreat

What sort of details did they give? I'm always intrigued by these studies. I can tell you now before they even start that a reasonably sized multipurpose arena will costs 10s of millions and never turn a profit. Doesn't mean it's pointless, it brings people into town and draws in extra spending to local businesses, pubs, hotels, etc... which will be good for the town. However these proposals always seem convinced it will pay for itself directly and history shows they just don't.

I think it would be good for the Town and potentially worth it for the knock-on benefits, but these schemes either seem to never live up to unrealistic forecasts used to justify building them. Or they are just fantasy "here's what we could have done if we had money, but we don't have money, so we wasted £100k on a feasibility study for no reason".
New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 21:33 - Apr 12 with 1077 viewsrgp1

New Indoor Arena Coming to Ipswich - Impact on Ground Development? on 19:15 - Apr 12 by stonojnr

wasnt that part of the Ipswich Village idea ? the borough council wanted to link the ground up more with Cardinal Park and create a leisure sports quarter destination, with a "leisure square" in between, and so that car park land was always earmarked as a potential leisure development, not a multi storey car park replacement, not actually sure why we need a multi storey car park there anyway

but some kind of multi use type sports/leisure venue that could host events that you often see in other towns and cities of similar size to Ipswich, would be a good idea, because the Corn Exchange isnt big enough for those and the Regent isnt really suitable, and doing well enough it doesnt have space in its calendar anyway and theres no where else in town of suitable size.

but it will come to nowt, the borough council wont support anything they didnt think of first, theres no money for it, or a developer desperately trying to bring that kind of thing to Ipswich anyway, so it wont make a difference how you vote or who is elected

Ipswich village? They must have been the ones at forum last week asking about bottle tops and the like!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024