Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? 15:43 - Apr 12 with 1083 viewshatch

Now the play-off hopes have well and truly gone Ms. Hatch and I are planning an Italian adventure through the middle part of May.

We've left ourselves about 4 or 5 days to explore the well-recommended region just south of Naples.

I had hoped to hire a convertible car and drive the coastline but sounds like traffic will be a nightmare, along with parking and bus fumes. So the picturesque drive I imagined may not be so great after all.

So I'm thinking of using public transport (train/bus to Sorrento via Pompeii from Naples) then seeing how much we can squeeze into 3/4 days along the coast itself. I'm trying to work in Capri, Positano, Amalfi, possibly Ravello and maybe end at Salerno before returning to Naples.

What I'm looking for:
- Must sees
- Must do's
- Travel tips
- Best locations to book our hotels/airbnbs along the route i.e. best of sunset dining

Ta and thank you.
Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 15:55 - Apr 12 with 1033 viewsRadlett_blue

The coast is spectacular, but the driver might be too busy to appreciate it.
Based ourselves in Sorrento some years ago & did both Pompeii, Vesuvius & Herculaneum by train. The Circumvesuviana is cheap.
Herculaneum is worth a trip in its own right, although many forgo it for the grander Pompeii. It's a min-Pompeii, better preserved, easier to walk around & quieter. Pompeii is still magnificent.
Naples is worth seeing itself. The hop on, hop off bus lines give you a good feel for the city & visit some of the nicer parts. I enjoyed the Royal Palace of Capodimonte, on a hill just outside the city.
We did a boat trip from Sorrento to Capri but chose a windy day & the crossing by catamaran was incredibly rough, with many people being seasick. Capri was interesting if you are looking for a relaxing day out. Worth getting a bus or taxi to Anacapri, which has a very different, quieter feel from Capri town.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 16:12 - Apr 12 with 1011 viewshatch

Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 15:55 - Apr 12 by Radlett_blue

The coast is spectacular, but the driver might be too busy to appreciate it.
Based ourselves in Sorrento some years ago & did both Pompeii, Vesuvius & Herculaneum by train. The Circumvesuviana is cheap.
Herculaneum is worth a trip in its own right, although many forgo it for the grander Pompeii. It's a min-Pompeii, better preserved, easier to walk around & quieter. Pompeii is still magnificent.
Naples is worth seeing itself. The hop on, hop off bus lines give you a good feel for the city & visit some of the nicer parts. I enjoyed the Royal Palace of Capodimonte, on a hill just outside the city.
We did a boat trip from Sorrento to Capri but chose a windy day & the crossing by catamaran was incredibly rough, with many people being seasick. Capri was interesting if you are looking for a relaxing day out. Worth getting a bus or taxi to Anacapri, which has a very different, quieter feel from Capri town.

Cheers RB.

Yes the wider plan is a few days around Pisa, Florence & Bologna before getting the train down to Naples. So this is the end of our trip. We'll have an evening in Naples and then get the train to Pompeii. I've actually been to Pompeii before but my partner hasn't so happy to go again, noting your advice on Herculaneum.

I thought we'd then get the train to Sorrento and take on board your Capri suggestions. The next bit of the trip is the tricky part - would be more convenient by car with our luggage but advice seems to be use ferries and buses to avoid parking challenges etc.
Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 16:15 - Apr 12 with 1004 viewsRadlett_blue

Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 16:12 - Apr 12 by hatch

Cheers RB.

Yes the wider plan is a few days around Pisa, Florence & Bologna before getting the train down to Naples. So this is the end of our trip. We'll have an evening in Naples and then get the train to Pompeii. I've actually been to Pompeii before but my partner hasn't so happy to go again, noting your advice on Herculaneum.

I thought we'd then get the train to Sorrento and take on board your Capri suggestions. The next bit of the trip is the tricky part - would be more convenient by car with our luggage but advice seems to be use ferries and buses to avoid parking challenges etc.

Only spent a few hours in Pisa so can't help you much there.
Florence is beautiful, but the crowds of tourists are always a huge problem (yes, I know I am part of that problem). Start the sight-seeing early, I suppose.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 16:34 - Apr 12 with 975 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Been there a few times. Usually stay in Praiano which is half way between Amalfi and Positano with good transport links to both, using the amazing Sita bus service. For places to stay, look at https://www.summerinitaly.com/ . Have rented a couple of great places through them. Have also stayed at the Hotel Opengate in Praiano which is a family run place. For fantastic food in a brilliant setting try Il Pirata in Praiano - https://en.ilpiratamalficoast.com/ . Use Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, then Sita bus service all along the Amalfi Coast. Keep your wallet safe on the Circumvesuviana as pick pockets widespread.
Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 17:54 - Apr 12 with 925 viewshatch

Can anyone give Amalfi coast recommendations? on 16:34 - Apr 12 by muhrensleftfoot

Been there a few times. Usually stay in Praiano which is half way between Amalfi and Positano with good transport links to both, using the amazing Sita bus service. For places to stay, look at https://www.summerinitaly.com/ . Have rented a couple of great places through them. Have also stayed at the Hotel Opengate in Praiano which is a family run place. For fantastic food in a brilliant setting try Il Pirata in Praiano - https://en.ilpiratamalficoast.com/ . Use Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, then Sita bus service all along the Amalfi Coast. Keep your wallet safe on the Circumvesuviana as pick pockets widespread.

Cheers MLL. I've been warned against the Sita buses by TripAdvisor forums because they're too popular that time of the year and the locals often cram on apparently. Advice was to ferry hop instead.

I had actually seen that restaurant and it looks amazing, will need to try and fit that into the trip somehow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024