Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Computer question 17:42 - Apr 13 with 1802 viewsnoggin

My flat has a wifi mesh set up with 2 satellite node plus the one connected to the modem. My daughter's room has the 3rd node but when she is gaming online, she gets some lagging. Would it help to connect her pc to the node with an ethernet cable?

Appreciate any advice.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Computer question on 17:45 - Apr 13 with 1766 viewsfactual_blue

Tell her she shouldn't be wasting her time and your bandwidth by gaming online. Smash her computer and join the Amish.

Sorted.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Computer question on 18:09 - Apr 13 with 1715 viewsBLUEBEAT

Hello.

Are you talking about the thing shown below?

I moved into a house 4 months ago and this is in a cupboard under the stairs.

I plugged my modem into it and that works but have no idea exactly what it is.

Poll: W or W

Computer question on 18:11 - Apr 13 with 1712 viewsEwan_Oozami

Computer question on 18:09 - Apr 13 by BLUEBEAT

Hello.

It's a fibre to the premises terminating box...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Computer question on 18:29 - Apr 13 with 1682 viewsSarge

Have you considered a token ring Ethernet LAN configuration with a 1.5mb fibre optic T1 line?
Computer question on 18:32 - Apr 13 with 1671 viewsSwansea_Blue

Turn it off and then on again?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Computer question on 18:39 - Apr 13 with 1656 viewsSwansea_Blue

If she can connect straight to the modem, it’d be better for her. If she’d be connecting to a device that accessed the modem via wifi, I don’t see how that would help (maybe a tad). She could test the speed to see what she’s getting on her PC via wifi. I get about 30-35 mbps on wifi from a 50 mbps line, and it’s just about ok for online gaming but not ideal.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Computer question on 19:06 - Apr 13 with 1628 viewsDanTheMan

Computer question on 18:39 - Apr 13 by Swansea_Blue

If she can connect straight to the modem, it’d be better for her. If she’d be connecting to a device that accessed the modem via wifi, I don’t see how that would help (maybe a tad). She could test the speed to see what she’s getting on her PC via wifi. I get about 30-35 mbps on wifi from a 50 mbps line, and it’s just about ok for online gaming but not ideal.

Also worth mentioning here that was well as pure download speeds, a lot of games will rely on low latency which is more to do with how long the communication takes between the PC and whatever other server / computer it's talking to. Because of this, even if you could download at 1GB a second, if you had high latency then you still wouldn't be able to play games online that easily.

As others have suggested, could try an ethernet connection to either the router or whatever is the closest mesh device. I've never had a mesh so can't really advise too much on that front.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Computer question on 19:11 - Apr 13 with 1618 viewsTresBonne

Yeah, if you can, it'll help is the simple answer.
Login to get fewer ads

Computer question on 19:57 - Apr 13 with 1576 viewsnoggin

Thanks guys, unfortunately it hasn't helped. According to the online self test, we are currently getting Download 158 mbps, Upload 21 mbps and Ping 11 ms. Is that sufficient for her to play Roblox and me to stream Netflix?

Computer question on 20:35 - Apr 13 with 1542 viewsmutters

Computer question on 19:57 - Apr 13 by noggin

Thanks guys, unfortunately it hasn't helped. According to the online self test, we are currently getting Download 158 mbps, Upload 21 mbps and Ping 11 ms. Is that sufficient for her to play Roblox and me to stream Netflix?

God yes, should be more than enough

Roblox is not that internet intensive. Just for comparison I have 150MB download speed, which is more often than not around 100MB. There can be a film being watched, Roblox being played, StarCraft 2 being played (which is much more of a pull due to the speed of the game), music being streamed to multiple rooms and multiple mobiles accessing the internet all at the same time without any real issues.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Computer question on 20:47 - Apr 13 with 1526 viewsnoggin

Computer question on 20:35 - Apr 13 by mutters

God yes, should be more than enough

Roblox is not that internet intensive. Just for comparison I have 150MB download speed, which is more often than not around 100MB. There can be a film being watched, Roblox being played, StarCraft 2 being played (which is much more of a pull due to the speed of the game), music being streamed to multiple rooms and multiple mobiles accessing the internet all at the same time without any real issues.

OK thanks. Looks like I need someone to look at the computer then.

Computer question on 21:15 - Apr 13 with 1506 viewsmutters

Computer question on 20:47 - Apr 13 by noggin

Maybe difficult to diagnose without having it in front of me. If you know how can you connect to your router and see what devices are connected to it? A friend many years ago was having similar issues and it turned out that the neighbours were using their wifi!! His other half kindly let them use it whilst they were having some building works or a few weeks and apparently they just kept using it. For over three years!!

Another tip. Every now and then change your WiFi password!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Computer question on 21:21 - Apr 13 with 1502 viewsfactual_blue

Computer question on 20:47 - Apr 13 by noggin

I'll be happy to come and look at it. I charge £75 per hour (calculated from when I leave my house until I get back there), plus travel, food and accommodation costs.

For that I will quite literally look at it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Computer question on 09:41 - Apr 14 with 1319 viewsnoggin

Computer question on 21:15 - Apr 13 by mutters

Maybe difficult to diagnose without having it in front of me. If you know how can you connect to your router and see what devices are connected to it? A friend many years ago was having similar issues and it turned out that the neighbours were using their wifi!! His other half kindly let them use it whilst they were having some building works or a few weeks and apparently they just kept using it. For over three years!!

Another tip. Every now and then change your WiFi password!

Cheers. I've just found out that after connecting the mesh nodes, I was supposed to disconnect the main modem from the wifi network so that only the mesh units are transmitting. That probably isn't the issue but we'll see when she comes home.

Computer question on 12:08 - Apr 14 with 1263 viewsWeWereZombies

Computer question on 18:09 - Apr 13 by BLUEBEAT

Hello.

Isn't that just a small storage heater? Just goes to show the level of computerisation there is in even the most mundane domestic appliances these days if you can get a modem working off it...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Computer question on 12:11 - Apr 14 with 1260 viewsvilanovablue

Computer question on 19:57 - Apr 13 by noggin

Have you considered ethernet over power. We use that at home for the teen when he is gaming and works perfectly as it is a wired connection from the router. A starter set will set you back around £30. Having been around tech for 40 years it is the cleanest solution I have come across :)
Computer question on 12:37 - Apr 14 with 1220 viewsfarkenhell

Computer question on 21:21 - Apr 13 by factual_blue

I'll be happy to come and look at it. I charge £75 per hour (calculated from when I leave my house until I get back there), plus travel, food and accommodation costs.

For that I will quite literally look at it.

You're obviously just an amateur. A professional would look at it, inhale sharply, shake his head vigorously, then say "gonna cost yer".
Computer question on 12:59 - Apr 14 with 1199 viewslongtimefan

Computer question on 12:11 - Apr 14 by vilanovablue

Have you considered ethernet over power. We use that at home for the teen when he is gaming and works perfectly as it is a wired connection from the router. A starter set will set you back around £30. Having been around tech for 40 years it is the cleanest solution I have come across :)

Seconded, but not to be confused with a Power over Ethernet capable switch. The Ethernet over Power devices are usually referred to as Powerline Ethernet Adapters.
Computer question on 13:02 - Apr 14 with 1195 viewsvilanovablue

Computer question on 12:59 - Apr 14 by longtimefan

Seconded, but not to be confused with a Power over Ethernet capable switch. The Ethernet over Power devices are usually referred to as Powerline Ethernet Adapters.

Thanks for adding powerline, I had a bit of brain freeze earlier :)
Computer question on 14:28 - Apr 14 with 1157 viewsnoggin

Computer question on 12:11 - Apr 14 by vilanovablue

Interesting, thanks. Is it as simple as it sounds, ie, plug and play?

Computer question on 14:46 - Apr 14 with 1133 viewsvilanovablue

Computer question on 14:28 - Apr 14 by noggin

Interesting, thanks. Is it as simple as it sounds, ie, plug and play?

It really is that simple, https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Requi

This is what we have and I use daily for work video calls, interviews and stuff. Never had any issues with it all. It is very much set and forget.
Computer question on 14:47 - Apr 14 with 1131 viewsvilanovablue

Computer question on 14:46 - Apr 14 by vilanovablue

It really is that simple, https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Requi

This is what we have and I use daily for work video calls, interviews and stuff. Never had any issues with it all. It is very much set and forget.

Kids can't complain about the wi-fi being rubbish ever again. They will still get lagging but it won't be your internet connection it'll be the servers the games are hosted on getting bogged down. NB kids will never understand this!
Computer question on 15:03 - Apr 14 with 1110 viewsnoggin

Computer question on 14:47 - Apr 14 by vilanovablue

Kids can't complain about the wi-fi being rubbish ever again. They will still get lagging but it won't be your internet connection it'll be the servers the games are hosted on getting bogged down. NB kids will never understand this!

Thanks, appreciate your help. Sounds like it might be the answer.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024