Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". 13:38 - Apr 14 with 2766 viewsfab_lover

Right, before I begin, I've never voted Tory, Blair was too right-wing for me, and I'm married to an (EU) immigrant.

Obviously the Rwanda "solution" has been carefully timed to get "Boris" out of trouble.

The issue it seeks to address, however, is going to carry on being an issue. For example, the population of Africa was 0.3bn when I was born. It's now 1.4bn. Europe is dealing with a demand that is never going to go away; and illegal immigration as well as making nasty people very rich and leading to tragic deaths, also removes a lot of enterprising people, and their money, from countries which need both those things.

And yes, if I were in their shoes and had the resource, I would do what they are doing, I'm sure.

So - what do we actually do to address this ? The problem isn't going away. Yes, immigrants are less likely to be on benefits that UK people, we're (in some ways) underpopulated etc etc. However if we have borders and restrictions on who can live here - how do we enforce them ?

I genuinely don't have an idea on this...
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 13:49 - Apr 14 with 1998 viewsGuthrum

Part of dealing with the issue has to be making Africa a place where people want to stay, rather than flee from.

That involves:

Doing everything to promote civil society, removing oppression and corruption (particularly the latter). Not looking after plundered wealth for dictators.

Doing everything possible to encourage good economics (comes back to corruption) and sustainable agricultural practices (e.g. not over-farming for cash crops to export).

Working to prevent or end wars.

Sharing progress in healthcare.

Providing aid both to cover short-term disasters and for longer-term development.

All of this will, of course, cost money. But we are one of the wealthier parts of the world and don't seem to want this problem of migration. So we'll have to pay for that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 13:53 - Apr 14 with 1976 viewsMullet

Welcome them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 14:18 - Apr 14 with 1915 viewsXYZ

68% of asylum applications are successful.

48% of appeals against refused applications are successful.

The vast majority that arrive here have a legal right to remain here.

It's a racist ruse to stoke up their triggerable supporters before the local elections.

The british public overwhelmingly support the fair and humane treatment of asylum applicants.
[Redacted] on 14:30 - Apr 14 with 1877 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 14:50 - Apr 14 with 1818 viewsLord_Lucan

Well, it’s all very difficult isn’t it. It’s the biggest hot potato!

Let’s get one thing straight from the start - I am very pro immigration and I really love the fact that people want to come here as they think we are a great country. Now and again my wife and I enjoy a trip down to Norwich Rd for a coffee just to appreciate how diverse it is, in fact, I have a plan to contact the council with a funding project to regenerate the area and turn it into a “place”, a sort of Ipswich Camden.

Hooever - honestly, how much uncontrolled immigration can we deal with???? Seriously, the numbers coming in that we know about are crazy enough. Where can we house everyone, where can we educate the children, how can the NHS cope?

If anyone dares to question this they are called out as racist.

So, what’s the answer - answers on a postcard please.

Ok, so this might seem a crazy idea. It makes sense to me but I have taken the opportunity to have a lunch time Easter pint because I am technically a catholic and I believe Easter is celebrated by my daft folk.

Could we not - build a new country somewhere and let anyone who wants to live there have complete access - a sort of successful Israel. As a world I’m sure the technically democratic countries could get together and fund a new country and all the facilities that go with it - we could buy a big mass of land from some underdeveloped place and tart it up.

It’s not as crazy as you think. It just needs a bit of vision.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

[Redacted] on 14:56 - Apr 14 with 1786 viewsvictorywilhappen

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 14:50 - Apr 14 by Lord_Lucan

Let’s get one thing straight from the start - I am very pro immigration and I really love the fact that people want to come here as they think we are a great country. Now and again my wife and I enjoy a trip down to Norwich Rd for a coffee just to appreciate how diverse it is, in fact, I have a plan to contact the council with a funding project to regenerate the area and turn it into a “place”, a sort of Ipswich Camden.

Hooever - honestly, how much uncontrolled immigration can we deal with???? Seriously, the numbers coming in that we know about are crazy enough. Where can we house everyone, where can we educate the children, how can the NHS cope?

Ok, so this might seem a crazy idea. It makes sense to me but I have taken the opportunity to have a lunch time Easter pint because I am technically a catholic and I believe Easter is celebrated by my daft folk.

Could we not - build a new country somewhere and let anyone who wants to live there have complete access - a sort of successful Israel. As a world I’m sure the technically democratic countries could get together and fund a new country and all the facilities that go with it - we could buy a big mass of land from some underdeveloped place and tart it up.

[Redacted]
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 15:01 - Apr 14 with 1765 viewsLord_Lucan

[Redacted] on 14:56 - Apr 14 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

What happens if you are a Rwandan asylum seeker and after travelling thousands of miles you end up right back where you started - and you’re still banned from the local 😂!

It’s like refugee snakes and ladders isn’t it. Actually I might propose this as a board game to Hasbro.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 15:05 - Apr 14 with 1738 viewsElephantintheRoom

A few more months of this extremist government and more people may be leaving than want to come here. I’m half expecting old people to be outsourced to reduce NHS waiting times and reduce Covid deaths this winter.

I suspect a good starting point is to have an immigration policy which encourages people to come here legally rather than illegally A more cynical approach might be to make the soggy sailors jump through as many hoops as those desperate Ukrainians. That’s been shown to reduce the flow from millions to a few dozen with immediate effect

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 15:35 - Apr 14 with 1696 viewsParsley

I find some of the language around this interesting. People from Ukraine are refugees but anywhere else are migrants/ economic migrants/ illegal immigrants. Not having a go at anyone, I feel that this has been pushed by the papers and I'm not totally sure of the right language to use myself.

To be honest I don't see it as that complicated. Provide a safe, legal route for people to enter the UK to seek asylum. Have a properly funded system to process applications (shouldn't be a problem if they can spend ~£1m per person to send people to Rwanda). Utilize the skills and work ethic of refugees to boost the economy and improve productivity. Increased tax revenue will fund education, NHS etc.

All this nonsense and fear mongering is just to prey on peoples fears and instincts in order to win votes.
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 15:49 - Apr 14 with 1658 viewsLord_Lucan

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 15:35 - Apr 14 by Parsley

I find some of the language around this interesting. People from Ukraine are refugees but anywhere else are migrants/ economic migrants/ illegal immigrants. Not having a go at anyone, I feel that this has been pushed by the papers and I'm not totally sure of the right language to use myself.

To be honest I don't see it as that complicated. Provide a safe, legal route for people to enter the UK to seek asylum. Have a properly funded system to process applications (shouldn't be a problem if they can spend ~£1m per person to send people to Rwanda). Utilize the skills and work ethic of refugees to boost the economy and improve productivity. Increased tax revenue will fund education, NHS etc.

All this nonsense and fear mongering is just to prey on peoples fears and instincts in order to win votes.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but at some point you have to look at reality.

I notice you downvoted my post, but then again you seem to downvote a lot of mine. It would probably be more helpful if you simply replied by text rather than thumb, you can even PM me and call me a tvvat, I promise you, you won't hurt my feelings.

So, back to the hot potato - what the hell can we do. As much as it seems simple to just say to everyone - "Welcome buddy" - how are we going to manage the influx? It's absolutely pointless putting people up in hotels and bed and breakfasts all over the country as we are doing, what sort of life is that? Or what do you propose? It's easy to criticise - but do you have the answer - and can you fund it?
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 15:51]

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:09 - Apr 14 with 1592 viewsnoggin

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 14:50 - Apr 14 by Lord_Lucan

"Hooever - honestly, how much uncontrolled immigration can we deal with???? "

It's not uncontrolled though, is it? It's very much heavy handedly controlled, hence there being no safe or legal routes in to Britain.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:11 - Apr 14 with 1584 viewsJ2BLUE

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 15:49 - Apr 14 by Lord_Lucan

I don't necessarily disagree with you but at some point you have to look at reality.

I notice you downvoted my post, but then again you seem to downvote a lot of mine. It would probably be more helpful if you simply replied by text rather than thumb, you can even PM me and call me a tvvat, I promise you, you won't hurt my feelings.

So, back to the hot potato - what the hell can we do. As much as it seems simple to just say to everyone - "Welcome buddy" - how are we going to manage the influx? It's absolutely pointless putting people up in hotels and bed and breakfasts all over the country as we are doing, what sort of life is that? Or what do you propose? It's easy to criticise - but do you have the answer - and can you fund it?
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 15:51]

Is there not an uninhabited Channel island we could have built something on? Sending them 6000 miles away just seems ridiculous.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:24 - Apr 14 with 1549 viewsGeoffSentence

My idea would be to swap two w@nkers for every immigrant. There are a lot of w@nkers in the UK we could really do without, just need to find somewhere to stick them. If the originating countries of the people who are want to come here don't want them, maybe we could stick them somewhere that has a lot of space and not a lot of people. The Falklands maybe, somewhere like that.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:37 - Apr 14 with 1492 viewsLord_Lucan

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:09 - Apr 14 by noggin

"Hooever - honestly, how much uncontrolled immigration can we deal with???? "

It's not uncontrolled though, is it? It's very much heavy handedly controlled, hence there being no safe or legal routes in to Britain.

But you're missing the point Noggin, the situation at present is insane.

You have to address it and find a solution - and I don't mean sending people to Rwanda which is a batsh1t idea.

We need to recognise there is a problem that needs to be addressed - and find a solution. But - we are back to the hot potato, no one want's to address it as they will get shouted down and if they are a politician possibly lose their career.

Anyone can say "Let everyone in" That's easy, but it certainly isn't a solution in the long term.

The world is on the move and it needs addressing.

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:37 - Apr 14 with 1494 viewsDarth_Koont

We should just grow up and deal with it.

There’s plenty of room and resources in the UK and other neighbouring countries have put us to shame with the number of refugees they’ve taken in over recent years. The big problem we have is that we don’t take care of our own population well enough with essential housing, services and support as we choose to starve society of resources.

That’s why a mature approach to immigration and handling refugees decently is a little beyond us.
But if we started supporting people in need better then we really wouldn’t be having the same difficulties.

Pronouns: He/Him

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:39 - Apr 14 with 1483 viewsWD19

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:24 - Apr 14 by GeoffSentence

My idea would be to swap two w@nkers for every immigrant. There are a lot of w@nkers in the UK we could really do without, just need to find somewhere to stick them. If the originating countries of the people who are want to come here don't want them, maybe we could stick them somewhere that has a lot of space and not a lot of people. The Falklands maybe, somewhere like that.

Maybe we could send them to Norway like we did in the pilot project!?
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:40 - Apr 14 with 1474 viewsLord_Lucan

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:39 - Apr 14 by WD19

I think we should send them to Liverpool.

That'll learn em

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 17:34 - Apr 14 with 1375 viewsfactual_blue

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 15:35 - Apr 14 by Parsley

Refugees from Ukraine are also white.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 17:34 - Apr 14 with 1374 viewsnoggin

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:39 - Apr 14 by WD19

I was on one of those dinghies.

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 17:36 - Apr 14 with 1369 viewseireblue

Over the last few years, U.K. population has grown at around 0.5%.

The birthrate is around 1.7%. In other words, population would decline with no immigration.

In actual numbers of the qrowth is about 350,000 to 400,000.

There are roughly about 4,000 people claiming asylum.

The percentage of rejection of asylum seekers, also varies, sometimes gets about to 23%, but other years lower.

Of course figures vary over the years.

But, for the sake of controlling, the 1% of a 0.5% growth dynamic, we are sending people that are overwhelmingly genuine asylum seekers to a country with human rights issues.

Well that is pretty sh1t.

Hmmmm, looking at those numbers, I think Mullet has the rational and correct response on this.
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 17:39 - Apr 14 with 1349 viewsnoggin

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 16:37 - Apr 14 by Lord_Lucan

But you're missing the point Noggin, the situation at present is insane.

You have to address it and find a solution - and I don't mean sending people to Rwanda which is a batsh1t idea.

We need to recognise there is a problem that needs to be addressed - and find a solution. But - we are back to the hot potato, no one want's to address it as they will get shouted down and if they are a politician possibly lose their career.

Anyone can say "Let everyone in" That's easy, but it certainly isn't a solution in the long term.

The world is on the move and it needs addressing.

I agree, it does need addressing. Sadly, people like Patel and Farage think the answer is to close the borders and let other countries deal with it.

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 17:58 - Apr 14 with 1257 viewsfactual_blue

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 17:36 - Apr 14 by eireblue

Over the last few years, U.K. population has grown at around 0.5%.

The birthrate is around 1.7%. In other words, population would decline with no immigration.

In actual numbers of the qrowth is about 350,000 to 400,000.

There are roughly about 4,000 people claiming asylum.

The percentage of rejection of asylum seekers, also varies, sometimes gets about to 23%, but other years lower.

Of course figures vary over the years.

But, for the sake of controlling, the 1% of a 0.5% growth dynamic, we are sending people that are overwhelmingly genuine asylum seekers to a country with human rights issues.

Well that is pretty sh1t.

Hmmmm, looking at those numbers, I think Mullet has the rational and correct response on this.

The other consideration is of course not to spend £120m on a bribe to Rwanda to bolster tory prospects and the imminent local elections.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 19:06 - Apr 14 with 1152 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 17:58 - Apr 14 by factual_blue

The other consideration is of course not to spend £120m on a bribe to Rwanda to bolster tory prospects and the imminent local elections.

The Tories are just stealing from Labour at this point. I swear Blair thought this up with Tanzania the best part of 20 years ago. Or maybe it was the EU and Turkey. Either not a new issue to address and no one seems to have found an answer yet.
So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 19:32 - Apr 14 with 1097 viewsLord_Lucan

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 19:06 - Apr 14 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The Tories are just stealing from Labour at this point. I swear Blair thought this up with Tanzania the best part of 20 years ago. Or maybe it was the EU and Turkey. Either not a new issue to address and no one seems to have found an answer yet.

I think the current way of dealing with things is to put your finger in your ears.

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 19:36 - Apr 14 with 1090 viewsDarth_Koont

So - genuine question - what DO we do about "the boat people". on 19:06 - Apr 14 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Germany, Sweden and others have been taking vastly more refugees than the UK.

So why is the UK struggling to find an answer for as much as 1/10th of that?

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024