Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Root steps down as England captain 09:08 - Apr 15 with 616 viewsChrisd

https://www.skysports.com/amp/cricket/news/12123/12590587/joe-root-steps-down-as

Who’s going to be the new skipper in going forwards?
[Post edited 15 Apr 2022 9:09]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Joe Root steps down as England captain on 09:09 - Apr 15 with 610 viewsEly_Blue

Stokes?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Joe Root steps down as England captain on 09:11 - Apr 15 with 584 viewsChrisd

Joe Root steps down as England captain on 09:09 - Apr 15 by Ely_Blue

Stokes?

Stokes reminds me so much of Ian Botham, where there is so much expectation on his shoulders the burden of captaincy made Both under perform. Feel Stokes is in exactly the same position.

Joe Root steps down as England captain on 09:33 - Apr 15 with 526 viewsWD19

Suspect they will give it to Buttler as an excuse to shoehorn him into the side.
Joe Root steps down as England captain on 09:45 - Apr 15 with 512 viewsMookamoo

Joe Root steps down as England captain on 09:11 - Apr 15 by Chrisd

Stokes reminds me so much of Ian Botham, where there is so much expectation on his shoulders the burden of captaincy made Both under perform. Feel Stokes is in exactly the same position.

Botham, Flintoff and Pietersen. We''ll need to sit though a couple of series while they find out Stokes is a player that really shouldn't be be captain.

Then go through the process of picking player just to be captain who is then a terrible player, ie Chris Cowdrey or Fletcher, then hope good youngster is ready.
Joe Root steps down as England captain on 11:42 - Apr 15 with 448 viewsstonojnr

Joe Root steps down as England captain on 09:11 - Apr 15 by Chrisd

well I see Vaughan is championing Stokes for the job, so its definitely the wrong decision.

people seem to have forgotten Stokes took a 4 month hiatus from playing the game, partly due to an injured finger and partly to protect his mental well being as he has admitted he was struggling to cope with bio bubbles and life off the field and in a really dark place having difficult thoughts at the time.

and these people want to now not just add the burden of the England captaincy on to him, which is a huge job I dont think people realise in cricket how much an England captain does, even KP said he was unprepared for it, you have to do all the things still to keep your game ticking over, but you have to do it for everybody in your team too and keep their game ticking over, and motivate them, then theres all the interviews before games, during games, after games, all the sponsor/ECB events, and every decision you make is analysed to death, by the likes of former captains both England and away teams too

but its also the burden of captaincy in an England test team that arent functioning properly because the ECB have stuffed red ball cricket up and it could be years before any corrective actions blossom with more players able to bat like Root, and more bowlers like Jimmy & Stuart, so you are going to lose more games than you win.

plus there are things like Stokes got injured in Australia, and should have been used sparingly as a bowler in the West Indies as he hadnt fully recovered, but ended up bowling loads more overs than he should have, and said to the media he didnt understand why people kept telling him to rest, and consequently seems to have extended his injury recovery period for a bit longer, I liked the phrasing of the outcome of the scan they released last week there were no new injuries...so just the ones we already knew about then.

Ben Stokes is a player England have a duty of care to protect to get the best out of him in all 3 forms of the game, as he is such a crucial player to have in the team, I dont think you demonstrate that duty of protection by giving him the England test captaincy.

you make him captain and I think you shorten his cricket playing career massively & he'll burn out trying to do the impossible
Joe Root steps down as England captain on 12:26 - Apr 15 with 414 viewsChrisd

Joe Root steps down as England captain on 11:42 - Apr 15 by stonojnr

well I see Vaughan is championing Stokes for the job, so its definitely the wrong decision.

people seem to have forgotten Stokes took a 4 month hiatus from playing the game, partly due to an injured finger and partly to protect his mental well being as he has admitted he was struggling to cope with bio bubbles and life off the field and in a really dark place having difficult thoughts at the time.

and these people want to now not just add the burden of the England captaincy on to him, which is a huge job I dont think people realise in cricket how much an England captain does, even KP said he was unprepared for it, you have to do all the things still to keep your game ticking over, but you have to do it for everybody in your team too and keep their game ticking over, and motivate them, then theres all the interviews before games, during games, after games, all the sponsor/ECB events, and every decision you make is analysed to death, by the likes of former captains both England and away teams too

but its also the burden of captaincy in an England test team that arent functioning properly because the ECB have stuffed red ball cricket up and it could be years before any corrective actions blossom with more players able to bat like Root, and more bowlers like Jimmy & Stuart, so you are going to lose more games than you win.

plus there are things like Stokes got injured in Australia, and should have been used sparingly as a bowler in the West Indies as he hadnt fully recovered, but ended up bowling loads more overs than he should have, and said to the media he didnt understand why people kept telling him to rest, and consequently seems to have extended his injury recovery period for a bit longer, I liked the phrasing of the outcome of the scan they released last week there were no new injuries...so just the ones we already knew about then.

Ben Stokes is a player England have a duty of care to protect to get the best out of him in all 3 forms of the game, as he is such a crucial player to have in the team, I dont think you demonstrate that duty of protection by giving him the England test captaincy.

you make him captain and I think you shorten his cricket playing career massively & he'll burn out trying to do the impossible

A very good summary and how I see it too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024