Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ordered my first ever season ticket! 11:19 - Apr 16 with 2674 viewsFoD_Blue

Sorry, but I have to tell people who may be interested. As none of my friends or family are that bothered.
At the age of 50+ I have finally ordered my first ever season ticket!
I left East Anglia when I was 18 and have never lived close enough to justify the expense. I have wanted to be a Town season ticket holder since I was a kid.
I still don't live close (I'm in Gloucestershire) but due to a change of job, I can now justify the expense, even if I don't make every game (midweek fixtures are unlikely). In fact it would probably work out cheaper for me to pay for each match I attend, but the sounds coming out of the club make we want to be a part of what will hopefully be an exciting ride.
Quite a small event for most, but for me, this is a bucket list item completed.
COYB
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:26 - Apr 16 with 2337 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Congratulations.

I toyed with the idea again this year, but realistically, with the nature of my work, I couldn't guarantee every week that I can do the trip.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:28 - Apr 16 with 2322 viewsnorfsufblue

Hats off to you sir and welcom
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:31 - Apr 16 with 2306 viewsGeoffSentence

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:26 - Apr 16 by Cheltenham_Blue

Congratulations.

I toyed with the idea again this year, but realistically, with the nature of my work, I couldn't guarantee every week that I can do the trip.

I have the same issue with work and other things meaning I can't get to all the games. But this year I think I have been to enough o break even with a season ticket so I have decided to go for it next season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:45 - Apr 16 with 2260 viewsMeadowlark

Excellent.
I purchased my first season ticket a year ago after supporting the Town for 53 years!!
I've only missed a handful of matches home or away this season and despit a few disappointing results it's been fantastic.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:49 - Apr 16 with 2234 viewswrightsrightglove

Welcome to the season ticket club! Let’s hope all the excitement around the club transfers into results next season. If you ever get stuck for people to have a pre-match beer / chat with then give us a shout.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:57 - Apr 16 with 2213 viewsFoD_Blue

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:49 - Apr 16 by wrightsrightglove

Welcome to the season ticket club! Let’s hope all the excitement around the club transfers into results next season. If you ever get stuck for people to have a pre-match beer / chat with then give us a shout.

Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on that.

Fortunately, I took my Essex based Brother in Law to his first ever Town game on the opening day of this season, we have been to a few matches together since. He must have enjoyed it as he has joined me in buying a season ticket!
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 12:01 - Apr 16 with 2196 viewsmutters

Well done and welcome to a whole new world!

Whereabouts in Glos do you live? I now live just outside Chepstow, just on the English side.

I have funnily enough decided for the first time in 30 years due to not renew as the travel and other life commitments. I will aim to go to as many games as possible but realistically it's only going to be about half the home games at most. It's a shame as this feels like a great time to actually attend Portman road!

If you ever fancy sharing a petrol money then let me know!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 12:02 - Apr 16 with 2193 viewsFoD_Blue

Congratulations.

Fortunately there might be quite a few away matches next season in easy travelling distance from Cheltenham/Gloucester.
Login to get fewer ads

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 12:12 - Apr 16 with 2173 viewsFoD_Blue

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 12:01 - Apr 16 by mutters

Well done and welcome to a whole new world!

Whereabouts in Glos do you live? I now live just outside Chepstow, just on the English side.

I have funnily enough decided for the first time in 30 years due to not renew as the travel and other life commitments. I will aim to go to as many games as possible but realistically it's only going to be about half the home games at most. It's a shame as this feels like a great time to actually attend Portman road!

If you ever fancy sharing a petrol money then let me know!

I'm just outside Coleford, so not far from you at all.

Depending on traffic reports, the chances are that I would drive through Chepstow on my way to Portman Road (unless I go via the M5/M42).

I remember a while back passing through Tutshill and seeing a young lad cross the road by the playing field wearing a Town shirt. Us Town fans get everywhere.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 13:24 - Apr 16 with 2068 viewsDJR

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 11:45 - Apr 16 by Meadowlark

Excellent.
I purchased my first season ticket a year ago after supporting the Town for 53 years!!
I've only missed a handful of matches home or away this season and despit a few disappointing results it's been fantastic.

I did the same but after 52 years, having left Ipswich at 18 in 1978. It's a two hour journey but well worth it, even if I don't tend to go to evening games, given they are on I-follow.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2022 13:24]
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 13:46 - Apr 16 with 2023 viewsSharkey

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 12:02 - Apr 16 by FoD_Blue

Fortunately there might be quite a few away matches next season in easy travelling distance from Cheltenham/Gloucester.

Yes, - FGR, Exeter and the Gas seems as likely a combination as any to come up. Newport still possible too.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 14:55 - Apr 16 with 1975 viewsFoD_Blue

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 13:46 - Apr 16 by Sharkey

Yes, - FGR, Exeter and the Gas seems as likely a combination as any to come up. Newport still possible too.

Swindon have an outside chance of making the playoffs too.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 22:36 - Apr 16 with 1858 viewsmutters

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 12:12 - Apr 16 by FoD_Blue

I'm just outside Coleford, so not far from you at all.

Depending on traffic reports, the chances are that I would drive through Chepstow on my way to Portman Road (unless I go via the M5/M42).

I remember a while back passing through Tutshill and seeing a young lad cross the road by the playing field wearing a Town shirt. Us Town fans get everywhere.

Aha the FoD bit now makes perfect sense! :-)

Funnily enough, i now live in Tutshill, though it wasn't me that was wandering around there in a Town shirt. I wouldnt be classified as a young lad these days.

Well sounds like a road trip could be in order then at some point? Would be great to have another town fan local to me. We are a long long way from home!

ps will have to keep an eye out on for the wearer of the town shirt.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 21:00 - Apr 20 with 1656 viewsEKBlue65

Me too, just bought my first-ever season ticket. Left Ipswich at the age of 17 now 57. I live on the East Kent coast. Always wanted to have a season ticket but work/life etc got in the way. Definitely a bucket list item for me as well.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 21:49 - Apr 20 with 1525 viewsHogger

Great story. We live half the time in Amsterdam but have done the same for some reason
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 02:11 - Apr 21 with 1405 viewsHong_Kong_Bluey

Me too........... (apologies FoD for some clear plagiarism)

I left East Anglia when I was 20 and have never lived close enough to justify the expense.
I still don't live close (I'm in Hong Kong) but due to children now being in the UK, I can somehow justify the expense, as between them (Dartford and Colchester) they can make most matches.

I just wanted to be part of the new journey, as believe so strongly in what the club is finally doing that I wanted to show my support in a small way.

Dad and brother have season tickets, so this one is not a million miles away from them. They didn't want to change their season tickets so we could get 3 together, because they happen to be next to a row of 4 seats which is used by the club. Since Kmk arrived, they've met Kmks Dad and various other family members who have been over from Ireland to use those seats. Kmks Dad is a bit of a lad!

Interestingly, those 4 seats have never been used in the previous 3 seasons. Which shows how much of a toss our previous managers families gave about our then managers (or our club).

Hopefully I'll be able to use it myself if the HK government ever sort out this Covid flight / quarantine nonsense.

COYB!
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 02:56 - Apr 21 with 1390 viewsBluespeed225

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 02:11 - Apr 21 by Hong_Kong_Bluey

Me too........... (apologies FoD for some clear plagiarism)

I left East Anglia when I was 20 and have never lived close enough to justify the expense.
I still don't live close (I'm in Hong Kong) but due to children now being in the UK, I can somehow justify the expense, as between them (Dartford and Colchester) they can make most matches.

I just wanted to be part of the new journey, as believe so strongly in what the club is finally doing that I wanted to show my support in a small way.

Dad and brother have season tickets, so this one is not a million miles away from them. They didn't want to change their season tickets so we could get 3 together, because they happen to be next to a row of 4 seats which is used by the club. Since Kmk arrived, they've met Kmks Dad and various other family members who have been over from Ireland to use those seats. Kmks Dad is a bit of a lad!

Interestingly, those 4 seats have never been used in the previous 3 seasons. Which shows how much of a toss our previous managers families gave about our then managers (or our club).

Hopefully I'll be able to use it myself if the HK government ever sort out this Covid flight / quarantine nonsense.

COYB!

The earlier post about spotting Town shirts took me back to the old Kai Tak (is that correct spelling)airport, September 96', walked past a local wearing the 94/5 home shirt.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 03:35 - Apr 21 with 1379 viewsHong_Kong_Bluey

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 02:56 - Apr 21 by Bluespeed225

The earlier post about spotting Town shirts took me back to the old Kai Tak (is that correct spelling)airport, September 96', walked past a local wearing the 94/5 home shirt.

Indeed Kai Tak is correct. What an airport that was! Landing here in August 1991 in the middle of a typhoon 3 as an innocent 20 year old, flying through the buildings, rocking all over the place, I thought I was done!

Sadly I've never seen another Town shirt in HK. Except when we had the play-off matches in Delaneys Wanchai with West Ham and Norwich.

TWTD, and they're coming back!
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 05:08 - Apr 21 with 1364 viewsBigCommon

Nice one... Hope you can get to as many games as possible.. That's a fare old treck . Hats off to you fella..
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 08:11 - Apr 21 with 1261 viewsElephantintheRoom

You summarise one of the key issues of the season ticket era which first emerged thirty years ago. Back in the day you just turned up to watch football and pushed in with mates. Town had a huge fan base but people attended fewer games. The reduced attendance enforced by all seating and the high number of duff seats at Portman Road made a season ticket nigh on essential to see anything of the inaugural premier league. This effectively excluded a huge number of supporters - whilst reducing income because bizarrely season ticket holders who would happily pay a premium are given a discount.

I suspect the fan base is now half what it used to be thirty years ago - and that in turn explains why the demeanour of those that have sat through decades of decline - all whilst reducing income

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 08:57 - Apr 21 with 1194 viewsdirtyboy

Congratulations.

Personally, I've made around 8 games this season on my first season ticket in years, so not really viable financially, but my son has made a few more than me and took a mate.

When we both couldn't go, we've had a few friends borrow them and they've enjoyed it, so it's been nice in that respect, one father and son are getting season tickets themselves on the back of a couple of games with our tickets.

I'm still glad I got them even though I didn't use as much as hoped.
Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 09:13 - Apr 21 with 1162 viewsclive_baker

Awesome, congratulations on fulfilling an ambition and getting on board the ST train.

I hope you manage to get to a fair few games with it, we're edfinitely a club heading in the right direction after a decade of decline and under investment. It'll take time, but things are improving for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing what a full pre season and freshened up squad can do at this level next season under KM.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 09:26 - Apr 21 with 1134 viewsN2_Blue

Good man! You won't look back I'm sure for as long as you can afford it.

I'm an ST holder for the last 10 years although I've been based in North or West london all of that time and it's a two hour drive each way for me. I'd get the train more if the Ips-London trainline so useless). Respect to you for making the journey from Gloucestershire.

I probably miss 5 or more games a season, especially midweek ones but you'll find being a ST ticket holder gives you the drive to go to games that you would sometimes think can I be bothered with the journey - but for the first time in a while with the current football more often than not you are grateful you've gone and make the long journey home with a smile on your face. I think it could be a good time to have got yourself as part of the ST army.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 09:38 - Apr 21 with 1112 viewsHipsterectomy

I also got one this year living in East London. I'm not sure how many games I'll get to with other commitments and our shocking trains, but I wanted to financially support us, at least, and I can now get a gold card woop

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 09:46 - Apr 21 with 1096 viewsDJR

Ordered my first ever season ticket! on 09:26 - Apr 21 by N2_Blue

Good man! You won't look back I'm sure for as long as you can afford it.

I'm an ST holder for the last 10 years although I've been based in North or West london all of that time and it's a two hour drive each way for me. I'd get the train more if the Ips-London trainline so useless). Respect to you for making the journey from Gloucestershire.

I probably miss 5 or more games a season, especially midweek ones but you'll find being a ST ticket holder gives you the drive to go to games that you would sometimes think can I be bothered with the journey - but for the first time in a while with the current football more often than not you are grateful you've gone and make the long journey home with a smile on your face. I think it could be a good time to have got yourself as part of the ST army.

Living in Kent, I'm the same as you in the sense that I tend not to go to evening games, particularly given they are on I-follow. But if next season we are doing better, I'm sure I'll be there most games. I also agree that the trains are a pain, although I often break the journey by travelling by train from Shenfield to Ipswich. which tends to be a more reliable service. It certainly avoids the monotony of a two hour car journey back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024