Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday 09:15 - Apr 17 with 7118 viewsMenton

Didn’t one of them say something like ‘If rumours are to be believed, Ipswich will be a real force next season’. I wonder if we can expect some even more optimistic transfer targets than last year.

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 09:23 - Apr 17 with 5759 viewspointofblue

Yes, Ainsworth said that. Considering the quality of player we brought in last year I’m intrigued if we look to go one ‘better’ who the targets will be.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 09:51 - Apr 17 with 5612 viewsOldFart71

I think that the big problem with recruitment will be that according to the CEO the type of player will be longer term. Why I say problem is because it is painfully obvious that we don't have what it takes to get out of this league. I would suggest that Championship players are possibly more technically gifted than Division One players and this is where the problem lays. Get in more technically gifted players in this league and all that will happen is exactly what has happened this season, teams turn matches into battles of attrition, lumping everything into our box and waiting for one chance. Which judging by our results generally comes along. Players like Celina are excellent when it comes to a technical match. But struggle when they are targeted. As for Refs in this League you have to laugh. The one in yesterdays game was hurrying our players into getting the ball into play. Perhaps they should employ him permanently at PR when other teams start time wasting in the first half.
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 11:40 - Apr 17 with 5305 viewsArnieM

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 09:23 - Apr 17 by pointofblue

Yes, Ainsworth said that. Considering the quality of player we brought in last year I’m intrigued if we look to go one ‘better’ who the targets will be.

Will those targets even be English or UK based ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:00 - Apr 17 with 5238 viewsFrankfurtBlue

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 09:51 - Apr 17 by OldFart71

I think that the big problem with recruitment will be that according to the CEO the type of player will be longer term. Why I say problem is because it is painfully obvious that we don't have what it takes to get out of this league. I would suggest that Championship players are possibly more technically gifted than Division One players and this is where the problem lays. Get in more technically gifted players in this league and all that will happen is exactly what has happened this season, teams turn matches into battles of attrition, lumping everything into our box and waiting for one chance. Which judging by our results generally comes along. Players like Celina are excellent when it comes to a technical match. But struggle when they are targeted. As for Refs in this League you have to laugh. The one in yesterdays game was hurrying our players into getting the ball into play. Perhaps they should employ him permanently at PR when other teams start time wasting in the first half.

I know what you mean. Teams/Players that stand off and let us play will have it far more difficult than those that are in our faces. The only players that are remotely equipped for that sort of battle are Morsy and Norwood.

However, I think defensively we are strong enough. With the addition of a good LWB and a good all round striker, who can shoot and has pace to threaten the ball over the top, we will be far more of a problem for opponents.

That recruitment is key, together with three key areas that we need to practice: shooting; some expertise set-piece training, both defensively and for attacks; and how to ensure that referees give decisions our way.

The latter point could even be covered by Norwood, teaching them all how to appeal loudly and in unison for everything, surrounding the referee and blocking opponents from doing the same. Not pretty, but with the standard of refereeing in this division it has to be done. Even Sir Bob used to give tips to his players on what sort of referee they could expect before games.
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:07 - Apr 17 with 5190 viewsitfcjoe

Will be aiming more at the Celina and Morsy type transfers for sure, hard to pick out what targets will be as think it’s going to be mega ambitious again

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:10 - Apr 17 with 5165 viewspointofblue

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:07 - Apr 17 by itfcjoe

Will be aiming more at the Celina and Morsy type transfers for sure, hard to pick out what targets will be as think it’s going to be mega ambitious again

Morsy like players are fine; Celina like players are not. Technically brilliant but needs to be able to stand up and be counted in a battle. Too many players faded when Rotherham got in our faces in the second half yesterday - the only outfield players I can recall coming out of it with much credit were Woolfenden and, at a pinch, Baggott. That attacking run from the former is certainly going to alert some scouts.

Edit - Morsy, not Moray.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 12:41]

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:14 - Apr 17 with 5146 viewsJimmy86

For me that's where some of our problems lie!! We are looking at championship level players in league 1... on paper we should smash the league, as our players should be superior in technical terms... league 1 is not a technical league.. in horse racing terms it would be like turning up to a donkey Derby on an Arab thoroughbred... could the Arab thoroughbred deal with the shingle on Blackpool beach?! 🤣🤣

It's also a mentality thing, we've had such a weak mentality for an awfully long time, we need 11 winners on the pitch.. a lot is spoken of Sam Morsy and his mentality.. we need 11 Sam Morsy's, he should be the norm instead of the exception
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:18 - Apr 17 with 5117 viewsPinewoodblue

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:10 - Apr 17 by pointofblue

Morsy like players are fine; Celina like players are not. Technically brilliant but needs to be able to stand up and be counted in a battle. Too many players faded when Rotherham got in our faces in the second half yesterday - the only outfield players I can recall coming out of it with much credit were Woolfenden and, at a pinch, Baggott. That attacking run from the former is certainly going to alert some scouts.

Edit - Morsy, not Moray.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 12:41]

What was pleasing about that run was he didn’t panic at the end.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:37 - Apr 17 with 5006 viewstimothyeo

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 11:40 - Apr 17 by ArnieM

Will those targets even be English or UK based ?

Yes, because getting a work permit to come play in the third tier is nigh on impossible now.
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:39 - Apr 17 with 5001 viewsnodge_blue

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 09:51 - Apr 17 by OldFart71

Technically gifted and physical can go together in one player.

There's many examples of that.

We don't have to revert to lumps all over the park and long balls to get out of this league.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 13:17 - Apr 17 with 4846 viewsChrisd

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:39 - Apr 17 by nodge_blue

We don't have to revert to lumps all over the park and long balls to get out of this league.

I agree, but they do require a certain amount of resilience, especially when the going gets tough. The longer the game went on yesterday, you just knew Rotherham were going to score if they kept putting us under pressure.

For all Celina's ability as a player it's those types of games where he needs to show that extra quality he has and make a difference, unfortunately he goes missing in those types of games for me.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 13:26]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 14:25 - Apr 17 with 4617 viewsBlueBadger

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:14 - Apr 17 by Jimmy86

For me that's where some of our problems lie!! We are looking at championship level players in league 1... on paper we should smash the league, as our players should be superior in technical terms... league 1 is not a technical league.. in horse racing terms it would be like turning up to a donkey Derby on an Arab thoroughbred... could the Arab thoroughbred deal with the shingle on Blackpool beach?! 🤣🤣

It's also a mentality thing, we've had such a weak mentality for an awfully long time, we need 11 winners on the pitch.. a lot is spoken of Sam Morsy and his mentality.. we need 11 Sam Morsy's, he should be the norm instead of the exception

The idea that good Championship players wouldn't improve us in League One is bonkers.

Of course you need to scrap but you do in a lot of games in the Championship. The trick is balancing the side.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 14:31]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 14:28 - Apr 17 with 4579 viewsFrimleyBlue

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 14:25 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

The idea that good Championship players wouldn't improve us in League One is bonkers.

Of course you need to scrap but you do in a lot of games in the Championship. The trick is balancing the side.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 14:31]

Quite.

Look at our cm pairing at present

Both are champ midfielders. But neither of them are goal scoring midfielders. It's great to have the quality, but as a balance it doesn't work imo.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 14:37 - Apr 17 with 4540 viewsElephantintheRoom

He’d had a glass of wine with Ashton who lives in a parallel universe

Until Town come to terms with the stark fact that they have been going backwards in this division for four years they will continue to go backwards. In effect the franchise holders are now making the same mistakes Evans did one division higher up with Keane.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 15:40 - Apr 17 with 4405 viewscressi

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 14:37 - Apr 17 by ElephantintheRoom

Until Town come to terms with the stark fact that they have been going backwards in this division for four years they will continue to go backwards. In effect the franchise holders are now making the same mistakes Evans did one division higher up with Keane.

So man City for yrs were rubbish bit like wolves league one or two
Got the finances not looked back why Not us. If I was a new player I'd look forward not back you can always change the future
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 15:57 - Apr 17 with 4297 viewsLeoMuff

Interesting that there’s some rumours around, not been anything on here as far as I’ve seen ? Wonder if Phil is keeping snippets to himself for now…

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 16:02 - Apr 17 with 4270 viewsMullet

We might be so, but I'm not going to buy into rumours etc. That's how we ended up with Keane's era feeling so bloody wretched.

It's pretty clear we will spend, I think we will probably sell too (either Woolf or Fridge presumably, possibly Chaplin) to fund the rest as that seemed to be Ashton's MO at Brizzle.

Whatever happens, I just want to keep on enjoying it and see us back in the second tier without the "along come Ipswich" feeling that's clung to us since Hurst.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 18:11 - Apr 17 with 3993 viewsArnieM

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:39 - Apr 17 by nodge_blue

I think to get out of this league McKenna will need to demonstrate ADAPTABILITY , from a team that’s like to get the ball down and play good passing, high pressing game , to one that can “ mix it up” both physically and tactically to combat the most combative teams in league one . This is our biggest failing , and to expect 5ft 5ins , technically gifted players to match up to thuggish styles of Rotherham, Wycombe, Cheltenham , Fleetwood etc etc is nigh on impossible and improbable . To be adaptable, McKenna has to get ( his words), the right profile of player into this club , and he needs to do that with the sole aim of getting out of this division. Squad revamp / tweak once promoted.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 06:29 - Apr 18 with 3311 viewsVeggie

It seems strange that opposition managers seem to know more about what we are rumoured to be doing than people on here or Twitter. Whatever happened to ITK fans?
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 08:08 - Apr 18 with 3177 viewsWeWereZombies

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 06:29 - Apr 18 by Veggie

It seems strange that opposition managers seem to know more about what we are rumoured to be doing than people on here or Twitter. Whatever happened to ITK fans?

The ITK fans are on holiday early now...

def info

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 08:47 - Apr 18 with 3062 viewsbobbyramsey

I don't think he has a special inside info, he's probably just been reading TWTD.
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 09:41 - Apr 18 with 2872 viewsWickets

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 13:17 - Apr 17 by Chrisd

I agree, but they do require a certain amount of resilience, especially when the going gets tough. The longer the game went on yesterday, you just knew Rotherham were going to score if they kept putting us under pressure.

For all Celina's ability as a player it's those types of games where he needs to show that extra quality he has and make a difference, unfortunately he goes missing in those types of games for me.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 13:26]

Yes i do agree and without wanting to be too critical of KM i was amazed that Celina was on the pitch so long second half as the incident that led to him being booked finished him in the game . Even before the Yellow card had been waved a Rotherham player gave him a little slap to try and get him to react . You just know that we would have been reminding him at half time that they would target him so "dont react" he didn't react but went into his shell !
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 10:57 - Apr 18 with 2674 viewswaveneyblue

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 14:37 - Apr 17 by ElephantintheRoom

Are you this miserable in other aspects of your life ?

Or is it just Ipswich
What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 11:24 - Apr 18 with 2605 viewsjayessess

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 12:00 - Apr 17 by FrankfurtBlue

I know what you mean. Teams/Players that stand off and let us play will have it far more difficult than those that are in our faces. The only players that are remotely equipped for that sort of battle are Morsy and Norwood.

However, I think defensively we are strong enough. With the addition of a good LWB and a good all round striker, who can shoot and has pace to threaten the ball over the top, we will be far more of a problem for opponents.

That recruitment is key, together with three key areas that we need to practice: shooting; some expertise set-piece training, both defensively and for attacks; and how to ensure that referees give decisions our way.

The latter point could even be covered by Norwood, teaching them all how to appeal loudly and in unison for everything, surrounding the referee and blocking opponents from doing the same. Not pretty, but with the standard of refereeing in this division it has to be done. Even Sir Bob used to give tips to his players on what sort of referee they could expect before games.

There's something quite funny about saying we need more "battling" players like Norwood because if Norwood had better technique we'd probably have won on Saturday.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 11:30 - Apr 18 with 2587 viewspointofblue

What was the comment from the Sky pundits yesterday on 11:24 - Apr 18 by jayessess

There's something quite funny about saying we need more "battling" players like Norwood because if Norwood had better technique we'd probably have won on Saturday.

My issue is that was the only one of possibly two good chances we created all game (the other being from Woolfenden’s run). We shouldn’t bemoan chances being missed as much as not creating enough in the first place.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024