Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… 13:22 - Apr 18 with 2867 viewspointofblue

I’m sure we can prove her wrong on here!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 13:47 - Apr 18 with 1579 viewsBlueNomad

For years they, and supporters have known “best” apparently. It is the Government’s responsibility to manage these challenges, not do something outrageous and then challenge others to come up with alternatives. They cannot defend the indefensible.

To cap it all they have the gall to say the majority of the British people support such a policy. Yes, the ones who suggested drowning these people in the Channel- not the majority at all.
Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:06 - Apr 18 with 1544 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Well there is the creation of more safe routes for a start. And spending some of the money the government has found on tackling the traffikers rather than their victims perhaps?

But before we delve too deeply into solutions what, exactly, is the problem we are trying to solve?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:09 - Apr 18 with 1523 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm not entirely sure how this is going to stop traffickers still trying to get people directly into the UK.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:17 - Apr 18 with 1500 viewsDarth_Koont

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:06 - Apr 18 by You_Bloo_Right

Well there is the creation of more safe routes for a start. And spending some of the money the government has found on tackling the traffikers rather than their victims perhaps?

But before we delve too deeply into solutions what, exactly, is the problem we are trying to solve?

Indeed.

Providing safe(r) routes for refugees is one problem – and an easy one to solve. Helping position the Tories electorally is another problem – and a much thornier one. Because defeat them on this issue and they’ll just pop up elsewhere with another refugee/immigrant-bashing scheme.

Pronouns: He/Him

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:18 - Apr 18 with 1496 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m sure there’s an unused barracks somewhere or a piece of land on an old airfield where we could build accommodation and some facilities where we could look after people while their application is processed. We could also speed that up to so the system isn’t clogged. It’d probably be cheaper than the billions they want to spend and would be inline with international law, and help people get the help they need. Although saying that, they’d probably turn it into a prison camp and outsource to G4 to mess it up.

I’m sure those people who work with refugee charities would have plenty of suggestions.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:32 - Apr 18 with 1467 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting development today - as [part of this deal, hidden in the small print it seems we're going to be taking in refugees that have already been granted asylum by Rwanda - the ones who have the most serious issues and need extra mental health support and the like.

It's good that people will get access to support they need, but at the same time it seems an overly complicated way to go about things. Spend billions deporting people from here with no opportunity for asylum in the UK (they're not going to be allowed here even if they are deemed genuine refugees - it's simply deportation, end of), but then take in others who've been processed by another country. Not exactly 'taking back control' is it? I suspect this is going down a storm with the racist Express and Mail types!

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:36 - Apr 18 with 1463 viewsfactual_blue

She starts from the false premise that there's a problem.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:37 - Apr 18 with 1452 viewsfooters

I say we bomb the Isle of Man and send 'em all there. Including many unsavoury current UK residents.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:49 - Apr 18 with 1410 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 13:47 - Apr 18 by BlueNomad

For years they, and supporters have known “best” apparently. It is the Government’s responsibility to manage these challenges, not do something outrageous and then challenge others to come up with alternatives. They cannot defend the indefensible.

To cap it all they have the gall to say the majority of the British people support such a policy. Yes, the ones who suggested drowning these people in the Channel- not the majority at all.

Whilst I agree it is tbe governments responsibility to manage such challenges it is also the oppositions responsibility to offer alternative solutions, esp if you are going to criticise whatever the government puts forward.

I think it's a terrible idea btw and will be wholly more expensive than we are being told but there is a point there, Labour, Lib Dem SNP etc offer no clear policy on what they propose instead.

I don't have the answers either, I think there needs to be global cooperation on a scale that will never happen but I'm not standing at the opposition dispatch box.

Is a bad idea better than no idea or are they basically the same thing?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:54 - Apr 18 with 1393 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:18 - Apr 18 by Swansea_Blue

I’m sure there’s an unused barracks somewhere or a piece of land on an old airfield where we could build accommodation and some facilities where we could look after people while their application is processed. We could also speed that up to so the system isn’t clogged. It’d probably be cheaper than the billions they want to spend and would be inline with international law, and help people get the help they need. Although saying that, they’d probably turn it into a prison camp and outsource to G4 to mess it up.

I’m sure those people who work with refugee charities would have plenty of suggestions.

If the question is simply what do we do with people whilst their application is processes I would say that thus would be cheaper and more humane than shipping people to Rwanda.

The government will of course be worried about tracking them all, less of a concern for Priti if they're in Rwanda I suppose

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 15:10 - Apr 18 with 1365 viewsDurovigutum

Require people to apply for asylum in the British Embassy of the country of origin, or if no embassy then a neighbouring one. We stopped doing this a while back, so people now have to travel. We could have a number of applicants we will allow per year, tied to a criteria of need - we currently have this already, but it is chronically underfunded and understaffed (I know as I signed the paperwork for a family we took as a community in 2019, late 20s parents and three kids under five - he is now fluent English and has started a tiling business).

So, two options, as simple as they sound, available immediately, fully under our control, humane. Fail to tick any of the increasingly far right requirements of our Overton window breaking government.
Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 15:33 - Apr 18 with 1339 viewsjeera

She's yet to come up with a realistic solution herself so it's a bit much her expecting others to when it's her job.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 16:10 - Apr 18 with 1296 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:37 - Apr 18 by footers

I say we bomb the Isle of Man and send 'em all there. Including many unsavoury current UK residents.

Safe trip.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 16:14 - Apr 18 with 1284 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Maybe we could do away with all borders and just let people live wherever they want instead of being forced to stay on the bit of this rock they, by pure chance, happened to be born on.

Seems like a better idea than victimising the less fortunate, if you ask me.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 16:19 - Apr 18 with 1263 viewsfooters

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 16:10 - Apr 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Safe trip.

I think you'll find I'm one of this board's most respected members and the best thing to come out of Lowestoft since Benjamin Britten. Or failing that Lil' Chris.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 16:29 - Apr 18 with 1230 viewsJ2BLUE

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:37 - Apr 18 by footers

We're going to need a bigger island...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 16:32 - Apr 18 with 1222 viewsSonOfSpock

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 14:49 - Apr 18 by BlueandTruesince82

Whilst I agree it is tbe governments responsibility to manage such challenges it is also the oppositions responsibility to offer alternative solutions, esp if you are going to criticise whatever the government puts forward.

I think it's a terrible idea btw and will be wholly more expensive than we are being told but there is a point there, Labour, Lib Dem SNP etc offer no clear policy on what they propose instead.

I don't have the answers either, I think there needs to be global cooperation on a scale that will never happen but I'm not standing at the opposition dispatch box.

Is a bad idea better than no idea or are they basically the same thing?

Would tend to agree - it would be nice to have something concrete from the opposition parties about this or any other issues of the day as opposed to the generic spend more/lockdown earlier/lockdown harder and hindsightedness.

Even Labour have looked into offshore processing in the past with Mr. Blunkett so not necessarily a new or 'right wing' idea.
Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:02 - Apr 18 with 1097 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

No harm in my asking again I suppose.

What, exactly, is the problem we are trying to solve?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:05 - Apr 18 with 1095 viewsfactual_blue

Threaten to make them live in Lowestoft. That'll put them all off.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:06 - Apr 18 with 1094 viewsSwansea_Blue

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 16:32 - Apr 18 by SonOfSpock

Would tend to agree - it would be nice to have something concrete from the opposition parties about this or any other issues of the day as opposed to the generic spend more/lockdown earlier/lockdown harder and hindsightedness.

Even Labour have looked into offshore processing in the past with Mr. Blunkett so not necessarily a new or 'right wing' idea.

This isn't offshoring though - it's deportation. Those who are granted sanctuary have to take it up in Rwanda; they won't be allowed here.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:15 - Apr 18 with 1088 viewsfactual_blue

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:02 - Apr 18 by You_Bloo_Right

No harm in my asking again I suppose.

What, exactly, is the problem we are trying to solve?

The potential collapse of the tory vote at the upcoming local elections.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:21 - Apr 18 with 1075 viewsfooters

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:05 - Apr 18 by factual_blue

Threaten to make them live in Lowestoft. That'll put them all off.

You should visit sometime. I think you'd love Ness Point and the Lowestoft Maritime Museum. That and you can pick up some properly smoked kippers for your breakfast the next day. Superb.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:28 - Apr 18 with 1065 viewsfactual_blue

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:21 - Apr 18 by footers

You should visit sometime. I think you'd love Ness Point and the Lowestoft Maritime Museum. That and you can pick up some properly smoked kippers for your breakfast the next day. Superb.

I used to have to go to Lowestoft for work far too often.

With an extended programme of counselling, I've now more or less recovered.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:34 - Apr 18 with 1053 viewsfooters

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:28 - Apr 18 by factual_blue

I used to have to go to Lowestoft for work far too often.

With an extended programme of counselling, I've now more or less recovered.

I'll tell mother to make your bed up. See you soon.

Patel’s claim that critics of the Rwanda plan have no solution… on 18:56 - Apr 18 with 1027 viewseireblue

Well, yes, we could. Any number of people on here could do a better job.

The issue is not intelligence or lack of ability to suggest solutions.

Priti is clearly not qualified to solve this issue.

Evidence and first proof point, she has been in post a far while, suggested things, and still not solved it.

This isn’t her first idea, it is not a good well thought out idea, it is the, crap my last ideas are not working, I need something else to shore up my vote.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024