Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well I thoroughly enjoyed that 22:51 - Apr 19 with 1268 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Annoying to draw from a winning position. But we were much the better team across that 90 minutes. I though Morsy and Bakinson were excellent.

Back 3 solid as per. Chaplin and Celina tried but didnt have a lot of space to work (credit to wigan).

Striker and LWB clearly the issues. But a performance like that against the league leaders, the progress is evident. 5/6 new faces in the summer utilise players like Ndaba and Baggott. We wont be far off.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:01 - Apr 19 with 1218 viewsbackwaywhen

Also enjoyed the game their manager was a little lost with our football restricted them to long ball to avoid our midfield players , then their come a problem our 6 corners without keeper needing a save …… their 1 corner bingo a goal .
Keane was awesome for them and just the type we need that’s 20 goals for him this season !
Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:02 - Apr 19 with 1211 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

A very enjoyable game indeed.
We made the league leaders look bang average, although they have one thing we don't currently possess in a 20+ a season goalscorer.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:09 - Apr 19 with 1177 viewspointofblue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:02 - Apr 19 by StochesStotasBlewe

We made the league leaders look bang average, although they have one thing we don't currently possess in a 20+ a season goalscorer.

Not to throw cold water on a good performance but Cambridge made them look ordinary on Saturday.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:11 - Apr 19 with 1151 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

its fascinating though isnt it. Keane always looked easy on the eye. Nice touches etc. But he's scored more goals this season than his entire career.

Thats why scouting is so important, we just need a player who fits this system and we will be ok. Im really intrigued to see who its going to be.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:13 - Apr 19 with 1141 viewsEnigma_Blue

But is it down to the striker or the chances that are being created for them? If Will Keane was still playing for us would be have scored 20 plus goals this season, I am not so sure he would.
Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:16 - Apr 19 with 1123 viewspointofblue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:11 - Apr 19 by TRUE_BLUE123

its fascinating though isnt it. Keane always looked easy on the eye. Nice touches etc. But he's scored more goals this season than his entire career.

Thats why scouting is so important, we just need a player who fits this system and we will be ok. Im really intrigued to see who its going to be.

Or a striker who just has a fluke season and scores more than the rest of his career put together - see Murphy in 14/15 or Keane this season.

I don't think striker is our only problem though; we really don't give them much support from midfield.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:29 - Apr 19 with 1060 viewsRadlett_blue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:16 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

Or a striker who just has a fluke season and scores more than the rest of his career put together - see Murphy in 14/15 or Keane this season.

I don't think striker is our only problem though; we really don't give them much support from midfield.

Hmm..we signed Joe Pigott on the back of a fluke 20 goal season & he's looked near hopeless.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:33 - Apr 19 with 1036 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:16 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

Certainly not. LWB is a big one. I think Evans and Morsy looked good together in that two, but if there is a better partner available for Morsy, lets see.

Im not 100% sold on Celina and Chaplin together, both great players, but I would really like to see Edwards tried in one of those roles.

Work to be done, but we are close I think.

Login to get fewer ads

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:37 - Apr 19 with 1013 viewspointofblue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:29 - Apr 19 by Radlett_blue

Hmm..we signed Joe Pigott on the back of a fluke 20 goal season & he's looked near hopeless.

Yes, we need a player who's going to have a fluke season; not one who's just had it!

Then again, Pigott's record at League One is 5 (from 18), 18, 9 and 22 so perhaps he'll go on a scoring spree next season if we keep him - he seems to be an every other season type of striker.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 08:49 - Apr 20 with 767 viewsRadlett_blue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:37 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

Yes, we need a player who's going to have a fluke season; not one who's just had it!

Then again, Pigott's record at League One is 5 (from 18), 18, 9 and 22 so perhaps he'll go on a scoring spree next season if we keep him - he seems to be an every other season type of striker.

Pigott just looks so ordinary. Not especially good in the air, doubtful first touch & no real pace. Perhaps the way the AFC played suited him & they created plenty of chances? I really can't see him as a regular starter next season & he also doesn't look the type of player who would make an impact from the bench. I would even prefer the horrible Norwood as a bench option. Unless Pigott has been showing more in training, I suspect McKenna will try to get rid to release more wage spending power.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 09:34 - Apr 20 with 694 viewspointofblue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 08:49 - Apr 20 by Radlett_blue

Pigott just looks so ordinary. Not especially good in the air, doubtful first touch & no real pace. Perhaps the way the AFC played suited him & they created plenty of chances? I really can't see him as a regular starter next season & he also doesn't look the type of player who would make an impact from the bench. I would even prefer the horrible Norwood as a bench option. Unless Pigott has been showing more in training, I suspect McKenna will try to get rid to release more wage spending power.

I honestly can’t see Wimbledon creating a lot of chances at this level; I don’t think their xG has ever been great. Think they played to his strengths which we have never done.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 09:40 - Apr 20 with 676 viewsbackwaywhen

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 23:37 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

He does not suit KM type football , more of a MM man …… balll coming out of the clouds , ie the Wimbledons , Wycombes of this world .
Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 09:54 - Apr 20 with 641 viewsjayessess

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 09:34 - Apr 20 by pointofblue

I honestly can’t see Wimbledon creating a lot of chances at this level; I don’t think their xG has ever been great. Think they played to his strengths which we have never done.

The way he's played for us I think it's hard to envisage what strength there is to play to. He's clearly not a battering ram physical centre forward and isn't a speedster.

From what I can tell of his Wimbledon goal reel he's mainly a touch player who likes it into feet, which is exactly what we've tried to use him as. Of the 20 goals, there's only 1 headed goal (from 2 yards out), a fair few dead ball goals (5 pens and a couple of direct free kicks), a few poachers' efforts, but the stand out is just good finishing, often from fairly low percentage chances.

In hindsight there's probably a fair few warning signs in there? 13 open play goals in 45 games as main striker suggests his general play wasn't quite as productive as 20 goals makes it seem. And maybe those goals from low percentage chances just suggests a player who just got on a streak?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 10:00 - Apr 20 with 629 viewsSTYG

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 09:54 - Apr 20 by jayessess

The way he's played for us I think it's hard to envisage what strength there is to play to. He's clearly not a battering ram physical centre forward and isn't a speedster.

From what I can tell of his Wimbledon goal reel he's mainly a touch player who likes it into feet, which is exactly what we've tried to use him as. Of the 20 goals, there's only 1 headed goal (from 2 yards out), a fair few dead ball goals (5 pens and a couple of direct free kicks), a few poachers' efforts, but the stand out is just good finishing, often from fairly low percentage chances.

In hindsight there's probably a fair few warning signs in there? 13 open play goals in 45 games as main striker suggests his general play wasn't quite as productive as 20 goals makes it seem. And maybe those goals from low percentage chances just suggests a player who just got on a streak?

His time here is probably best summed up by the fact that he's missed two penalties as well, a thing he was clearly good at.

Burton away and then Colchester I think it was. Although did he then go on to score one against Arsenal or did he miss that too?

EDIT - Fraser missed against Burton. Piggott's were saved against Colchester and hit the post against Arsenal. So even when he's a competent penalty taker for Wimbledon he's missed 2 out of 2 for us. Really does sum it up for him here.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 10:02]
Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 10:04 - Apr 20 with 612 viewsRadlett_blue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that on 10:00 - Apr 20 by STYG

His time here is probably best summed up by the fact that he's missed two penalties as well, a thing he was clearly good at.

Burton away and then Colchester I think it was. Although did he then go on to score one against Arsenal or did he miss that too?

EDIT - Fraser missed against Burton. Piggott's were saved against Colchester and hit the post against Arsenal. So even when he's a competent penalty taker for Wimbledon he's missed 2 out of 2 for us. Really does sum it up for him here.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 10:02]

Some strikers need the confidence of knowing that they are the main man & Pigott may be like that. The stop-start appearances early on didn't help. Some also need a team to play to their strengths, but it's hard to see what Pigott's strengths are. Probably best to admit we've bought a misfit & let him go on a free.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024