Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh, interesting development 09:32 - Apr 22 with 2227 viewsKeno

probably tied in the 15 year statue of limitations in Portugal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61183857

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Oh, interesting development on 09:43 - Apr 22 with 1781 viewsZx1988

I'm sure it's all perfectly organic and above-board, but the McCanns do like to be able to showcase some 'progress' whenever the anniversary comes around.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Oh, interesting development on 10:03 - Apr 22 with 1711 viewsCaptainAhab

Oh, interesting development on 09:43 - Apr 22 by Zx1988

I'm sure it's all perfectly organic and above-board, but the McCanns do like to be able to showcase some 'progress' whenever the anniversary comes around.

What a snide thing to say
Oh, interesting development on 10:07 - Apr 22 with 1722 viewsitfcjoe

Sounds as though they know it is this bloke (or that he is at least incolved) but can't get the evidence and don't want their window to shut on it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Oh, interesting development on 10:09 - Apr 22 with 1704 viewsZx1988

Oh, interesting development on 10:03 - Apr 22 by CaptainAhab

What a snide thing to say

What is it about the white middle-class McCanns that meant that they managed to get off scot free, when lesser mortals would have no doubt been facing charges of neglect?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Oh, interesting development on 10:15 - Apr 22 with 1669 viewsLeoMuff

Oh, interesting development on 10:09 - Apr 22 by Zx1988

What is it about the white middle-class McCanns that meant that they managed to get off scot free, when lesser mortals would have no doubt been facing charges of neglect?

Pathetic comments really, they made some poor choices which cost them the highest price you could ever imagine, but neglect is very harsh.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Oh, interesting development on 10:17 - Apr 22 with 1656 viewsCaptainAhab

What does it matter what their background is? They've been through hell, lost a child and still they get smeared by people, even though it's now become obvious a serial offender was behind it. The abuse they've had to suffer in the years since has been sickening.
Oh, interesting development on 10:28 - Apr 22 with 1608 viewsjeera

"Scot-free"

What a piece of work.

This always brings out the worst in our midst.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Oh, interesting development on 10:34 - Apr 22 with 1588 viewsSitfcB

Oh, interesting development on 10:07 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

Sounds as though they know it is this bloke (or that he is at least incolved) but can't get the evidence and don't want their window to shut on it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Oh, interesting development on 11:49 - Apr 22 with 1449 viewsnoggin

Wow!

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Oh, interesting development on 11:58 - Apr 22 with 1423 viewsLord_Lucan

Oh, interesting development on 10:17 - Apr 22 by CaptainAhab

What does it matter what their background is? They've been through hell, lost a child and still they get smeared by people, even though it's now become obvious a serial offender was behind it. The abuse they've had to suffer in the years since has been sickening.

I agree with what you say to a large extent and it's impossible to imagine the loss of a child under any circumstances - let alone something like this.

I do wonder though how a fat jobless couple from a council estate would have been dealt with by the media under similar circumstances..

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Oh, interesting development on 12:02 - Apr 22 with 1403 viewsmylittletown

Oh, interesting development on 11:58 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

I agree with what you say to a large extent and it's impossible to imagine the loss of a child under any circumstances - let alone something like this.

I do wonder though how a fat jobless couple from a council estate would have been dealt with by the media under similar circumstances..

It is a perfectly fair question.

Nothing can possibly negate the terrible loss that they suffered, and the nightmares they must still have, but Lucan is right.
Oh, interesting development on 12:03 - Apr 22 with 1404 viewsPassionNotAnger

Oh, interesting development on 10:15 - Apr 22 by LeoMuff

Pathetic comments really, they made some poor choices which cost them the highest price you could ever imagine, but neglect is very harsh.

Whilst I don't think there is a need to use the inflammatory language, I don't think it's unreasonable to say the parents were negligent on the night in question (at least) and therefore they did neglect their children. It absolutely doesn't mean they deserved to suffer for what happened to that poor little girl or that they didn't love her but by almost any definition they did neglect her that night.
Oh, interesting development on 12:06 - Apr 22 with 1392 viewsPassionNotAnger

Oh, interesting development on 10:17 - Apr 22 by CaptainAhab

I'm not sure what your definition of a smear is but the fact is they did leave their children unobserved and alone for a significant period of time. Does it justify what happened to the poor little child, of course not - that is at the hands of a sub-human scumbag - but their negligence was a contributing factor in the even occurring however unpalatable that fact is.
Oh, interesting development on 12:19 - Apr 22 with 1344 viewsLeoMuff

They have been crucified In the media, I’m not sure how it could have been worse.

The only Muff in Town.

Oh, interesting development on 12:40 - Apr 22 with 1299 viewssolomon

Come off it pal, they did nothing wrong really, a bit careless possibly but that’s it, it’s the sick lowlife(s) who abducted the child that deserve all our anger and resentment, for anyone with an ounce of moral fibre berating the parents is a very stupid place to position yourself.
Oh, interesting development on 12:47 - Apr 22 with 1253 viewsCaptainAhab

Oh, interesting development on 12:06 - Apr 22 by PassionNotAnger

I'm not sure what your definition of a smear is but the fact is they did leave their children unobserved and alone for a significant period of time. Does it justify what happened to the poor little child, of course not - that is at the hands of a sub-human scumbag - but their negligence was a contributing factor in the even occurring however unpalatable that fact is.

I use the word smear, because they've often been treated by the media (and certainly social media) as the prime suspects, which must just be horrendous. Imagine losing a child and then being accused of the crime?
Would a family from the lower class have suffered worse at the hands of the media? Well, maybe, but I certainly don't thing the McCann's have had it easy by any stretch.

I certainly agree with you that there is some culpability because of their actions on the night, but I don't think they're the child neglecting monsters that they're sometimes made out to be. They were incredibly foolish, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and I'm sure they're not the first and last parents to do something like this whilst on holiday (not excusing it for a second mind you)
I've been to Luz a few times and seeing the place where it happened did change my mind slightly. Where Madelaine was abducted is part of a private complex, a fair way from the resort centre, that you'd presume (obviously incorrectly unfortunately) was relatively secure. They were having dinner inside the same complex, it's not like they'd gone for a night on the town forgetting their kids completely. Again I'm not excusing them at all here, it is not something I'd have done with my kids, but I can kind of see how it happened. Yes with hindsight it's terrible and certainly negligent to some extent, but on top of losing a child, to have the opprobrium, insinuations and accusations that have followed them has always felt horrific to me.

*Edited for spelling
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 12:50]
Oh, interesting development on 13:02 - Apr 22 with 1206 viewsitfcjoe

Well the fat jobless couple probably wouldn't still be in the media - and whilst that gives them more exposure in trying to find Maddie it also means that they are never going to be forgotten about, wherever they are people will stop and stare and whilst I can't imagine anyone ever getting over the loss of a child, they are in a position where they will never be able to forget it for a second if ever out and about

So guess wings and roundabouts really, I bet 99.9% of the population couldn't pick Shannon Matthews parents out of a line up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Oh, interesting development on 13:29 - Apr 22 with 1153 viewsWD19

Oh, interesting development on 09:43 - Apr 22 by Zx1988

I like these kind of posts. It helps flag who are the complete cretins on the board.
Oh, interesting development on 13:43 - Apr 22 with 1126 viewsPassionNotAnger

Oh, interesting development on 12:40 - Apr 22 by solomon

Come off it pal, they did nothing wrong really, a bit careless possibly but that’s it, it’s the sick lowlife(s) who abducted the child that deserve all our anger and resentment, for anyone with an ounce of moral fibre berating the parents is a very stupid place to position yourself.

I'm sorry but if you don't think leaving your children alone in an apartment that you can't see or monitor in anyway whilst you enjoy a meal and drinks in a different part of a complex isn't doing anything wrong then we clearly have very different ideas of what it is to be a responsible parent and probably won't agree on much.

I do agree (and stated previously) that the scum who did whatever it is they did to that poor child are the lowest of the low and deserve all the vitriol and abuse in the world BUT that doesn't mean that the parents are exempt from criticism too for their negligence that unfortunately contributed to the scum being able to commit their evil crime.
Oh, interesting development on 14:25 - Apr 22 with 1075 viewsnoggin

Oh, interesting development on 13:43 - Apr 22 by PassionNotAnger

I'm sorry but if you don't think leaving your children alone in an apartment that you can't see or monitor in anyway whilst you enjoy a meal and drinks in a different part of a complex isn't doing anything wrong then we clearly have very different ideas of what it is to be a responsible parent and probably won't agree on much.

I do agree (and stated previously) that the scum who did whatever it is they did to that poor child are the lowest of the low and deserve all the vitriol and abuse in the world BUT that doesn't mean that the parents are exempt from criticism too for their negligence that unfortunately contributed to the scum being able to commit their evil crime.

My parents did it at Butlins in the 70s, as did a lot of parents at that time.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 14:26]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Oh, interesting development on 14:37 - Apr 22 with 1052 viewsPassionNotAnger

Oh, interesting development on 14:25 - Apr 22 by noggin

My parents did it at Butlins in the 70s, as did a lot of parents at that time.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 14:26]

Lots of people did lots of things in the 70's that were deemed acceptable then but as the world changed so did their behaviour, from language and views of race and homosexuality to leaving their front doors unlocked when they went out etc etc.

That shouldn't excuse people (especially those who are supposedly educated) from still doing things decades later when the risks have fundamentally changed.
Oh, interesting development on 14:40 - Apr 22 with 1047 viewsWD19

Oh, interesting development on 14:37 - Apr 22 by PassionNotAnger

Lots of people did lots of things in the 70's that were deemed acceptable then but as the world changed so did their behaviour, from language and views of race and homosexuality to leaving their front doors unlocked when they went out etc etc.

That shouldn't excuse people (especially those who are supposedly educated) from still doing things decades later when the risks have fundamentally changed.

Yeah, the 1970's - a time before noncing was invented - were so much better.
Oh, interesting development on 14:42 - Apr 22 with 1038 viewsLeoMuff

Oh, interesting development on 14:37 - Apr 22 by PassionNotAnger

As I understand they could see the building the apartment was in and were checking every 30 mins, I’m sure many many parents have done the same and many wouldn’t consider it ok. I doubt the risks are any different now from the 70s if anything probably reduced.

They don’t deserve anything like the vitriol they get/got.

The only Muff in Town.

Oh, interesting development on 15:07 - Apr 22 with 1006 viewsPassionNotAnger

Oh, interesting development on 14:42 - Apr 22 by LeoMuff

As I understand they could see the building the apartment was in and were checking every 30 mins, I’m sure many many parents have done the same and many wouldn’t consider it ok. I doubt the risks are any different now from the 70s if anything probably reduced.

They don’t deserve anything like the vitriol they get/got.

That wasn't my recollection of the layout having watched the documentary couple of years go but stand to be corrected.

Notwithstanding that I doubt we'll agree or anyone will change their respective views now after so many years and I don't wish to offend anyone so will leave it there with a final comment that someone doesn't have to choose whether to have empathy OR criticism for the parents, personally I have both.
Oh, interesting development on 15:19 - Apr 22 with 990 viewsPassionNotAnger

Oh, interesting development on 14:40 - Apr 22 by WD19

Yeah, the 1970's - a time before noncing was invented - were so much better.

Which wasn't a point that anyone at all was making but those words perhaps make you feel better in some way?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024