Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked 10:59 - Apr 22 with 3741 viewsBlueBlood90

Magilton and Gorman Sacked 22nd Apr 2009 12:07
Town have terminated the contracts of manager Jim Magilton and assistant boss John Gorman, just one day into Simon Clegg's reign as chief executive. 1

Can't believe it's been 13 years since Jim Magilton was sacked. I often wonder what path we would have taken if we'd kept Jim or at least replaced him with somebody other than Roy Keane.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:10 - Apr 22 with 2540 viewsGarv

A day into Clegg's job. Bloody hell.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:14 - Apr 22 with 2526 viewsZXBlue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:10 - Apr 22 by Garv

All this time to start recovering from that one awful decision.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:22 - Apr 22 with 2498 viewsPhilTWTD

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:14 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

All this time to start recovering from that one awful decision.

Was it an awful decision? As much as Jim is a club legend, we were 12 points off the play-offs when the decision was taken having had one of the division's bigger budgets. The awful decision was the subsequent appointment!
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:22 - Apr 22 with 2484 viewstractorboy1978

The job he did here is seriously underrated and I always loved watching us. The way he was dismissed here is arguably the biggest stain on Evans for me.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:30 - Apr 22 with 2453 viewschicoazul

And lo, the Banter Era did begin.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:34 - Apr 22 with 2454 viewsLord_Lucan

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:22 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

Was it an awful decision? As much as Jim is a club legend, we were 12 points off the play-offs when the decision was taken having had one of the division's bigger budgets. The awful decision was the subsequent appointment!

Was it Soton when we got dicked 0 - 5 or something like that?

I was sad to see him go but I am very biased as I was always a big fan of him. I still think he would have done a job here - and the way he was sacked was shameful.

As for Keane, I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of fans were pretty overwhelmed by his appointment - although looking back it was obviously a disaster.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:35 - Apr 22 with 2442 viewsZXBlue

It was an awful unjustifiable decision. Yes.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:38 - Apr 22 with 2421 viewsGarv

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:34 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

Was it Soton when we got dicked 0 - 5 or something like that?

I was sad to see him go but I am very biased as I was always a big fan of him. I still think he would have done a job here - and the way he was sacked was shameful.

As for Keane, I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of fans were pretty overwhelmed by his appointment - although looking back it was obviously a disaster.

3-0.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:38 - Apr 22 with 2428 viewsBlueBlood90

Hard to disagree with that. I don't think many people would've had an issue with sacking Jim if we'd gone on to make a sensible appointment to replace him. Although we were 12 points away from the play-offs I think we had a decent squad that just needed tweaking in the summer with a few quality signings. Then also throw in the emergence of Jordan Rhodes from the youth academy and we were in a solid place to kick on the season after. Such a shame how it all panned out.

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:39 - Apr 22 with 2422 viewsZXBlue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:38 - Apr 22 by BlueBlood90

Hard to disagree with that. I don't think many people would've had an issue with sacking Jim if we'd gone on to make a sensible appointment to replace him. Although we were 12 points away from the play-offs I think we had a decent squad that just needed tweaking in the summer with a few quality signings. Then also throw in the emergence of Jordan Rhodes from the youth academy and we were in a solid place to kick on the season after. Such a shame how it all panned out.

I think that is a bit revisionist. I really dont think there was a majority in favour of sacking at the time.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 11:40]
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:45 - Apr 22 with 2379 viewsEastTownBlue

That was a strange week. Clegg appointed on the Tuesday, Magilton sacked on the Wednesday and Keane appointed Thursday.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:46 - Apr 22 with 2368 viewsPhilTWTD

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:35 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

It was an awful unjustifiable decision. Yes.

I thought it was justified on the failure to get near the play-offs after a fair amount of money was spent, while sad that it didn't work out. Also there were a fair few relationships broken, among them with the local media.

This post has been edited by an administrator
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:48 - Apr 22 with 2327 viewsBlueBlood90

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:39 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

I think that is a bit revisionist. I really dont think there was a majority in favour of sacking at the time.

I wasn't in favour of sacking him at the time. What I meant is if we'd have gone on to have success with a new manager afterwards then I don't think many people would have felt the same way about the whole situation as we do now.

It's also crazy to think he was sacked after beating Norwich a few days before!
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 11:50]

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:52 - Apr 22 with 2290 viewsgazzer1999

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:46 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

I thought it was justified on the failure to get near the play-offs after a fair amount of money was spent, while sad that it didn't work out. Also there were a fair few relationships broken, among them with the local media.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Sounds like a familiar theme "Also there were a fair few relationships broken, among them with the local media."
Every manager since him as well, seems like ITFC managers get more scrutiny and stick than the Prime Minister, and we are all supposed to be on the same side.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:55 - Apr 22 with 2278 viewsitfcjoe

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:39 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

There definitely was amongst all my cohort, which at the time was 20 or 30 of us travelling all over the country - maybe a couple of dissenting voices in that.

We weren't waving bed sheets, but I think most fans thought his time was well and trukly up as we'd gone backwards despite spending a fortune

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:56 - Apr 22 with 2260 viewsSitfcB

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:45 - Apr 22 by EastTownBlue

That was a strange week. Clegg appointed on the Tuesday, Magilton sacked on the Wednesday and Keane appointed Thursday.

After beating Norwich on the Sunday.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:57 - Apr 22 with 2257 viewsgazzer1999

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:55 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

There definitely was amongst all my cohort, which at the time was 20 or 30 of us travelling all over the country - maybe a couple of dissenting voices in that.

We weren't waving bed sheets, but I think most fans thought his time was well and trukly up as we'd gone backwards despite spending a fortune

I saw a twitter clip a few weeks ago of Bedsheet Rich saying he should be sacked.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:59 - Apr 22 with 2257 viewsZXBlue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:55 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

Then your cohort was not reflective of the mood on here, and was more alligned with rich and his bedsheet. Not an accoldate tbh.

We hadn't gon ebackwards, he had turned the side round from a huge downward spiral, on virtually no budget, and then was judged on not getting promotion (despite being in contention until late on) after one full season, whilst trying to integrate new players and shift the balance of the team. It was stupid.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:05 - Apr 22 with 2205 viewsdavblue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:59 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

Then your cohort was not reflective of the mood on here, and was more alligned with rich and his bedsheet. Not an accoldate tbh.

We hadn't gon ebackwards, he had turned the side round from a huge downward spiral, on virtually no budget, and then was judged on not getting promotion (despite being in contention until late on) after one full season, whilst trying to integrate new players and shift the balance of the team. It was stupid.

you need to go back and check your facts.

He got sacked in his 3rd season and we were never really in contention to go up that year.

1st season we finished 14, then 8th and i think we were 12th when he was sacked. The atmosphere around the ground had turned, i recall the team being booed of a fair few times. The football that season was turgid after a couple of season of entertaining football.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:05 - Apr 22 with 2198 viewsmylittletown

Clegg was a disaster. And it was utterly predictable.
A blowhard bullsh1tter.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:09 - Apr 22 with 2174 viewsPhilTWTD

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:52 - Apr 22 by gazzer1999

Sounds like a familiar theme "Also there were a fair few relationships broken, among them with the local media."
Every manager since him as well, seems like ITFC managers get more scrutiny and stick than the Prime Minister, and we are all supposed to be on the same side.

I think the coverage Jim got in some quarters was very unfair, I said that at time time.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:10 - Apr 22 with 2166 viewsPhilTWTD

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:59 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

We weren't in contention, that was the issue. I would agree with you that the mood on here wasn't one which was widely calling for his departure though. The TWTD Forum was staunchly behind Jim to the end.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:14 - Apr 22 with 2128 viewsBLUEBEAT

the beginning of the Dark Ages.

Poll: W or W

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:16 - Apr 22 with 2108 viewsmutters

Sadly it was time for him to go.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:17 - Apr 22 with 2102 viewstractorboy1978

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:05 - Apr 22 by davblue

you need to go back and check your facts.

He got sacked in his 3rd season and we were never really in contention to go up that year.

1st season we finished 14, then 8th and i think we were 12th when he was sacked. The atmosphere around the ground had turned, i recall the team being booed of a fair few times. The football that season was turgid after a couple of season of entertaining football.

'Turgid' - Christ, if only we knew what was about to come for the following decade.

Magilton was an inexperienced manager that inherited a pretty dross side - Royle knew he couldn't take us forwards. The 14th and 8th finishes with an FA Cup run to the 5th round whilst playing several academy kids was something to be proud of.

He wasn't wise with some of his spending when Evans came in. It's notable though that his two big ticket signings (Norris and McAuley) were still two of our best players through the Keane and then early Jewell eras. Walters being the other. And Civelli we got really unfortunate with.

We will never know now but he'd have fared far better than Keane, I can say that for sure. I thought he deserved another crack at the time and I stick by it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024