Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls 13:14 - Apr 22 with 5743 viewsBobbychase

Correct me if I'm wrong. There may be stuff going on behind the scenes, but here are the facts.

1 We scout him, a promising rugby player, and sign him into our Academy
2 We coach him to be a footballer and provide him with accommodation, contract etc.
3 We choose Swindon Town as a good place for him to develop as a player, presumably based on the football they play,/coaching reputation etc.
4 He has a promising first half of the season in League Two, so we recall him to preserve OUR asset who WE discovered and pay the wages of.
5 He or his agent decide they don't want to stay at ITFC and things fall apart.

With that in mind, I am finding some criticism of the club baffling. Are we supposed to just roll over with every player? And please, I've seen a couple of references to this being like Rhodes and Wickham. I know people who are Swindon season ticket holders and saw most of his games. They were impressed with his pace and speed but not his finishing or control, and would be amazed if he went to a Championship club. Rhodes and Wickham were very special players and everybody knew that. Wickham in particular had proved himself against Championship defences. Simpson's work has all been in League Two.

I'm really not sure what else the club could have done.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:14]

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:18 - Apr 22 with 3181 viewsitfcjoe

All we ever did to 'help' him was to help the football club first and foremost - it wasn't a charity venture that we took some poor kid on to try and help him become a footballer.

The relationship between football club and footballer is and always will be almost totally tranactional - the difference is the club has apublic platform to set the narrative and a fan base willing to parrot it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:21 - Apr 22 with 3162 viewsAsa

Whilst Twitter is hardly an accurate reflection of sensible opinion, it's been quite telling that the comments have been swamped with Swindon fans, all of whom seem to think they have a chance of signing him and all of whom want him back.

Not one single mention of them being out of the race, Simpson aiming higher than them (or even ITFC given that he's decided not to stay) and that may in some way be an indication of where he's at currently and the fact that he's not deemed beyond them, given that even here we have a few say we will struggle to hold on to Wolf, Morsy, whoever.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I wish him well. Presumably we will want low hundred thousands with a considerable sell on clause in case he really comes good.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:22]
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:23 - Apr 22 with 3141 viewsclive_baker

I don't really get the reaction to be honest, towards the club or player. It happens all the time, players come and go, and if as a club and fan base we were happy for 'demolition man' to bin off players that have been here from a young age without giving them the courtsey of more than a 3 minute chat, as many were highly supportive of last summer, we can't be too critical when it works the other way.

He's a young player who might or might not have a decent career, who knows. For whatever reason whether it be financial, football, personal he quite clearly doesn't want to be at Ipswich though, so feck him. Protect our interests by selling him to whoever makes the most compelling offer in both the short and longer term by way of sell ons etc.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:23 - Apr 22 with 3124 viewsitfcjoe

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:21 - Apr 22 by Asa

Whilst Twitter is hardly an accurate reflection of sensible opinion, it's been quite telling that the comments have been swamped with Swindon fans, all of whom seem to think they have a chance of signing him and all of whom want him back.

Not one single mention of them being out of the race, Simpson aiming higher than them (or even ITFC given that he's decided not to stay) and that may in some way be an indication of where he's at currently and the fact that he's not deemed beyond them, given that even here we have a few say we will struggle to hold on to Wolf, Morsy, whoever.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I wish him well. Presumably we will want low hundred thousands with a considerable sell on clause in case he really comes good.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:22]

Their manager has come out and said there is no way they can afford him

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:24 - Apr 22 with 3115 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:18 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

All we ever did to 'help' him was to help the football club first and foremost - it wasn't a charity venture that we took some poor kid on to try and help him become a footballer.

The relationship between football club and footballer is and always will be almost totally tranactional - the difference is the club has apublic platform to set the narrative and a fan base willing to parrot it.

Of course it's transactional. We discover and coach him and send him out on a loan spell that advances his career. We're very much not a charity in that sense, in that we shouldn't be expected to stand aside and wish him well when he decides to walk away on his terms.

He's our employee, effectively.

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:27 - Apr 22 with 3062 viewsitfcjoe

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:24 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

Of course it's transactional. We discover and coach him and send him out on a loan spell that advances his career. We're very much not a charity in that sense, in that we shouldn't be expected to stand aside and wish him well when he decides to walk away on his terms.

And like any employer and employee relationship, it works both ways and if both parties don't fulfil their side of the bargain then things will fall apart like they have clearly done

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:29 - Apr 22 with 3054 viewsPhilTWTD

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:24 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

He's Town's employee literally. And the club will offer him the contract that they view as his worth. He and his people don't see see what's on offer the same way - or a clear pathway into the first team - and so they want to look elsewhere. It's true the club's not a charity but it's still disappointing to see an academy product we've watched develop move on having played only a handful of games here, same with Liam Gibbs last summer.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:33 - Apr 22 with 3016 viewsKieran_Knows

I'd heard Luton tried to sign him in January, hence why he rejected the contract on offer as he wanted to go higher up.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:41 - Apr 22 with 2964 viewsAsa

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:23 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

Their manager has come out and said there is no way they can afford him

Thanks Joe.

Hadn't seen that. Did think there may be some disparity between the two but presumably they are in no position to pay any kind of fee and I'd have thought we are looking for £500k or so given a 19 year old projected at 20-25 goals in League One.

Or do you think we've set up for a higher fee?
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:45 - Apr 22 with 2929 viewsitfcjoe

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:41 - Apr 22 by Asa

Thanks Joe.

Hadn't seen that. Did think there may be some disparity between the two but presumably they are in no position to pay any kind of fee and I'd have thought we are looking for £500k or so given a 19 year old projected at 20-25 goals in League One.

Or do you think we've set up for a higher fee?

No idea really - but that sounds about right - don't think they can afford anything bar a nominal fee so are out of the running in that regards

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:53 - Apr 22 with 2884 viewsAsa

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:45 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

No idea really - but that sounds about right - don't think they can afford anything bar a nominal fee so are out of the running in that regards

It will certainly be interesting to see what takers there are.

A fee like that potentially rules out every League Two club bar a couple, if that. The smaller Championship clubs will still see that as a sizeable fee and the majority of League One clubs don't pay those kind of fees.

The bigger sides in League One like Sunderland or Wednesday will presumably be looking at someone a lot more proven and I can't see them paying that for someone who may be a prospect at best. I wonder if it might work for someone like Morecambe, if they stay up and end up shifting someone like Stockton for two or three times that and they take a punt. Still seems unlikely. Accrington didn't go out blowing much of Jackson and JD money. Likewise Shrewsbury with Nolan / Toto.

Presumably Tyreece or the agent must know of some solid interest from a club higher up that can pay that sort of money. Not impossible a Hull or Cardiff or someone of that ilk likes the look of him.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:55]
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:57 - Apr 22 with 2853 viewsitfcjoe

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:53 - Apr 22 by Asa

It will certainly be interesting to see what takers there are.

A fee like that potentially rules out every League Two club bar a couple, if that. The smaller Championship clubs will still see that as a sizeable fee and the majority of League One clubs don't pay those kind of fees.

The bigger sides in League One like Sunderland or Wednesday will presumably be looking at someone a lot more proven and I can't see them paying that for someone who may be a prospect at best. I wonder if it might work for someone like Morecambe, if they stay up and end up shifting someone like Stockton for two or three times that and they take a punt. Still seems unlikely. Accrington didn't go out blowing much of Jackson and JD money. Likewise Shrewsbury with Nolan / Toto.

Presumably Tyreece or the agent must know of some solid interest from a club higher up that can pay that sort of money. Not impossible a Hull or Cardiff or someone of that ilk likes the look of him.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 13:55]

I think he'll end up at a PL club like Brighton or a Leicester, or a Championship club like Norwich or Luton - and then subsequently on loan in League 1 next season.

Brighton are very good at getting players with high ceilings, finding them good loan moves, improving them to a level that sees them either ready to go back to them, or their value increased (and no doubt big loan fees secured in the mean time)

I would be amazed if he is playing for his parent club next year - he'll have a pathway laid out for him by clubs that are light years ahead of us with how their off pitch set up is. Hopefully over next few years we can catch up with some of these teams on and off the pitch, no reason why we now shouldn't

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:04 - Apr 22 with 2803 viewsBLUEBEAT

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:33 - Apr 22 by Kieran_Knows

I'd heard Luton tried to sign him in January, hence why he rejected the contract on offer as he wanted to go higher up.

I don’t know about that but I do know it was simply a case of the new offered ITFC contract being significantly lower than if he was playing in the Swindon first team.

So that’s all he wants, as most young footballers do, first team action at a higher rate of pay.

Poll: W or W

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:14 - Apr 22 with 2729 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:57 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

I think he'll end up at a PL club like Brighton or a Leicester, or a Championship club like Norwich or Luton - and then subsequently on loan in League 1 next season.

Brighton are very good at getting players with high ceilings, finding them good loan moves, improving them to a level that sees them either ready to go back to them, or their value increased (and no doubt big loan fees secured in the mean time)

I would be amazed if he is playing for his parent club next year - he'll have a pathway laid out for him by clubs that are light years ahead of us with how their off pitch set up is. Hopefully over next few years we can catch up with some of these teams on and off the pitch, no reason why we now shouldn't

Not another one of our youngsters going to norwich pleeeassse
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:15 - Apr 22 with 2715 viewsBlueBlood90

All we can do now is either accept a decent fee or a relatively low fee with an enormous sell-on percentage.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:16 - Apr 22 with 2713 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:27 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

And like any employer and employee relationship, it works both ways and if both parties don't fulfil their side of the bargain then things will fall apart like they have clearly done

So why am I seeing random EFL pods slating ITFC on Twitter - "the way this lad has been treated is outrageous".

We've done nothing wrong

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:20 - Apr 22 with 2662 viewsLeoMuff

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:14 - Apr 22 by abracaDOBRA_

Not another one of our youngsters going to norwich pleeeassse

Might be another making the step up to Norwich u23s

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:20 - Apr 22 with 2653 viewspointofblue

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:16 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

So why am I seeing random EFL pods slating ITFC on Twitter - "the way this lad has been treated is outrageous".

We've done nothing wrong

I assume that might be in relation to recalling him from the loan spell but I agree with you - if he wants to spit his dummy out then the club can respond how they see fit.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:20 - Apr 22 with 2656 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 13:27 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

What part of the bargain haven't we fulilled?

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:24 - Apr 22 with 2636 viewsPhilTWTD

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:20 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

I assume that might be in relation to recalling him from the loan spell but I agree with you - if he wants to spit his dummy out then the club can respond how they see fit.

Not sure he's spat his dummy out as such, more doesn't see what's on offer here as commensurate with where he sees his standing currently. From what I gather, he'll probably not have too much bother getting a better contract elsewhere.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:29 - Apr 22 with 2612 viewsitfcjoe

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:20 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

What part of the bargain haven't we fulilled?

Offering him a pathway or a wage commensurate with his ability, so he now wants the employer/employee relationship to end

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:31 - Apr 22 with 2603 viewsBobbychase

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:29 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

Offering him a pathway or a wage commensurate with his ability, so he now wants the employer/employee relationship to end

And how do you know we haven't done that? Where's the proof

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:42 - Apr 22 with 2523 viewsJackPITFC

I understand we viewed his loan as potentially the end of his time at Ipswich as was out of contract and hadn't done enough prior to the Swindon loan to earn a contract.

But because of his progression whilst out on loan the club wanted to reward him with a new contract, unfortunately his head was turned by his agent when apparently a deal was already on the table and agreed and the goalposts had been changed with wanting a pathway to first team football regularly, due to Championship interest.

He loved his time at Swindon, but Ipswich refused to allow Simpson back out on loan as contract issues occurred like Phil reported and because we didn't want to help develop a player who had no future at the club and wanted to move elsewhere and he is hoping and praying the club don't activate his extension clause.
Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:43 - Apr 22 with 2519 viewswkj

When a young player sees his future elsewhere there are usually a few on here who like to rip em apart like rabid dogs. Yes, it is frustrating to see em go, but when you have a career that lasts about 15 years, you don't have the luxury of waiting around. If Simpson feels his senior career can get going elsewhere, then can you really blame him for not wanting to wait around and see if he will eventually do the same here.

Some of the comments about Simpson have been predictably disgusting over the last few days.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:46 - Apr 22 with 2488 viewspointofblue

Can we nip these odd Tyreece Simpson narratives in the bud pls on 14:31 - Apr 22 by Bobbychase

And how do you know we haven't done that? Where's the proof

I suppose the proof is, if other clubs are willing to pay a greater wage than we are offering, as Phil and Joe have said, then we aren’t hitting what he could expect elsewhere. The question is then are we being too cautious with our offer or is it at the limit of what we can afford.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024