Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) 16:38 - Apr 25 with 1961 viewswellhungphil

A couple of nice goals for the young lad over the past week or so for Cork City FC, who are also top of their league at the moment!

And, shock horror, two assists as well, both directly from corners, not the Ipswich way at all but I'm sure that can be trained out of him once he gets back to Portman Road!

Videos timestamped just before the goals for your convenience (EDIT - timestamps don't seem to work, sorry for the...inconvenience!!), but feel free to watch them in their entirety as they're only 2 or 3 minutes long, and you'll better absorb the truly awesome standard of "Second Division" League of Ireland football. Matt's wearing shirt # 15.

I shouldn't laugh really - I can see the floodlights over the Turner's Cross stadium from my room here in Cork, but this is as close as I'll ever get to professional football I'd wager, especially as I'm mid-forties and now gone back to UCC for a PhD!

Goal #1 of the season for Matt last Monday, 18th April:

Assist directly from a corner in the same game:

Then last Friday, 22nd April, another handy finish:

...and another direct assist from a corner to secure the winner halfway through the second half:

Some of the standard of play is fairly dreadful at times in the second game, but let's put that down to the hot-headed rowdiness and pressure-cooker atmosphere of the local derby against south coast giants Cobh Ramblers, a former club of one of our former managers at Ipswich!

No commentary for the second game, but some of the rantings from the Cork City crowd are amusing, especially when Cobh Ramblers scored that messy rebound effort!

Coincidentally, Cork City FC are currently managed by Colin Healy, also ex- of Ipswich Town FC, and apparently he thinks quite highly of Matt (no relation it would seem, despite the same surname).
[Post edited 25 Apr 2022 16:51]
Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 16:51 - Apr 25 with 1895 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Good to see, especially the ability to take a corner. Interesting the first clip has Brian Murphy in goal.

Didn't quite get your comment about "this is as close as I'll ever get to professional football I'd wager, especially as I'm mid-forties and now gone back to UCC for a PhD!" Do you mean you are playing at this level?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 17:01 - Apr 25 with 1854 viewswellhungphil

Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 16:51 - Apr 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Good to see, especially the ability to take a corner. Interesting the first clip has Brian Murphy in goal.

Didn't quite get your comment about "this is as close as I'll ever get to professional football I'd wager, especially as I'm mid-forties and now gone back to UCC for a PhD!" Do you mean you are playing at this level?

"As close as I'll ever get" was a reference to the fact I'm living about four or five stunning volleyed goals away (in terms of distance) from Turner's Cross Stadium in Cork city where Matt is currently based.

My dreams of being a professional player died the day I became a professional software engineer instead. I never played at any sort of organised level outside of a bit of college football. No cheering crowds, no wing-marauding, just compile issues and deadlines for the following 20 years before I packed it all in about 5 years ago, to take 2 years off and then decided to go back to "school"!
Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 18:36 - Apr 25 with 1697 viewsOwainG1992

Good to see.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 22:11 - Apr 25 with 1481 viewsSonOfSpock

Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 17:01 - Apr 25 by wellhungphil

"As close as I'll ever get" was a reference to the fact I'm living about four or five stunning volleyed goals away (in terms of distance) from Turner's Cross Stadium in Cork city where Matt is currently based.

My dreams of being a professional player died the day I became a professional software engineer instead. I never played at any sort of organised level outside of a bit of college football. No cheering crowds, no wing-marauding, just compile issues and deadlines for the following 20 years before I packed it all in about 5 years ago, to take 2 years off and then decided to go back to "school"!

Having worked in IT for for a similar length of time I can empathise with wanting to try something different.

Further study would be great.

What are you researching for the PhD?
Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 22:21 - Apr 25 with 1468 viewsTrequartista

M Healy Is A Pleasure

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 09:59 - May 28 with 1003 viewsemergencylime

Another Healy banger last night to go top.

To quote Brenner, he's having a goal of the season competition, with himself.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

Matt Healy on loan at Cork City FC (Goals Goals...and assists!) on 11:09 - May 28 with 921 viewsDarth_Koont

Cheers for these plus the latest one added to the thread.

Quite stunning goals, and while you can't expect him to hit these every week, we don't seem to have many players who can hit them like this even once a season. Celina and Bakinson came closest but you'd probably have to go to El Miz for one of our own players.

Added to better set pieces having a more consistent threat from outside the box is the type of weapon we really need. As much as anything to give the opposition GK and CBs something to worry about beyond getting outflanked by Burns or Donacien down the right.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024