Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Less points and lower finish than last season 17:19 - Apr 26 with 4028 viewsVic

Did any of us (apart from elephant and Frimley) expect us to finish worse than last season?

I do believe we're in a better position than this time last season. I really didn't like the way Cook ripped the old squad apart, but had to concede that the squad he and MA put together was better. So to finish where we have is underwhelming in the extreme.

Frimmers took a pelting for his provocative post but I do think several of us played the man the and not the ball! MA is safe, but given the investment if KM doesn't get us into a really strong position next year then he will surely have some explaining to do. I think the owners really wanted to go up this year, but I think they always knew it might not happen. I do think they'll be expecting promotion next year. Whether KM will remain if we don' time and circumstances will tell.

Personally I'm pretty confident that we'll balance the squad, get someone who can score a do a lot better. I'm disappointed, but have lot's of hope

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Less points and lower finish than last season on 17:31 - Apr 26 with 2851 viewsFrimleyBlue

I never expected us to finish lower than last season.
I thought PC would have us promoted by March.

I'd say we are 50% better going into the summer than we were last season. There's still quite a bit of trading to do to make us actual promotion material imo.

Ashton. I'm not sure he would be without worry. He afterall hired the manager. Put together the recruitment team. Etc if we fail he's in charge of the failure.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 17:33]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Less points and lower finish than last season on 17:59 - Apr 26 with 2782 viewsChurchman

No. I thought we would be challenging top two and that making the playoffs was just about tolerable. To finish lower than last year is poor and very disappointing, especially given it’s a tinpot league.

The ball is now in McKenna’s court. He has the basis of a good team, a pre-season to bed in his ideas and hopefully for the club to get in the players he needs including at least one proper goal scorer. Lack of one, has done for us. Something needs to be done about the dead ball stuff too. Scoring our quota from corners and free kick would have made a world of difference.

Your last paragraph neatly sums up my feelings on it.
Less points and lower finish than last season on 18:07 - Apr 26 with 2757 viewsibbleobble

There’s a misnomer that’s developed that we need better strikers. There’s a wealth of striking talent in that squad, it’s up to KM to develop a system to get the best out of them or to coach them into a system - he’s done neither, which is concerning.

After 23 games he should be doing better in that regard. We’re now living in hope things will change, again.
Less points and lower finish than last season on 18:36 - Apr 26 with 2667 viewsBlueBadger

Less points and lower finish than last season on 18:07 - Apr 26 by ibbleobble

There’s a misnomer that’s developed that we need better strikers. There’s a wealth of striking talent in that squad, it’s up to KM to develop a system to get the best out of them or to coach them into a system - he’s done neither, which is concerning.

After 23 games he should be doing better in that regard. We’re now living in hope things will change, again.

We definitely need better than Norwood and Piggot.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:01 - Apr 26 with 2606 viewsBlueBadger

In all fairness, Frimmers talks an awful lot of sh1t.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:13 - Apr 26 with 2583 viewsibbleobble

Less points and lower finish than last season on 18:36 - Apr 26 by BlueBadger

We definitely need better than Norwood and Piggot.

Pigott’s had a terrible season, no question. I’d say Norwood has got one foot out the door based on recent performances too. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be getting more out of them though, there’s proven talent there all be it a little wasted in Norwood’s case.
Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:14 - Apr 26 with 2570 viewsBlueBadger

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:13 - Apr 26 by ibbleobble

Pigott’s had a terrible season, no question. I’d say Norwood has got one foot out the door based on recent performances too. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be getting more out of them though, there’s proven talent there all be it a little wasted in Norwood’s case.

Norwood is well over 30 He's not going to stop being a waster now.

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:26 - Apr 26 with 2538 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

KM comes out of this season better than MA does.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:27 - Apr 26 with 2532 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Less points and lower finish than last season on 17:31 - Apr 26 by FrimleyBlue

I never expected us to finish lower than last season.
I thought PC would have us promoted by March.

I'd say we are 50% better going into the summer than we were last season. There's still quite a bit of trading to do to make us actual promotion material imo.

Ashton. I'm not sure he would be without worry. He afterall hired the manager. Put together the recruitment team. Etc if we fail he's in charge of the failure.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 17:33]

Agreed re Ashton.

I also suspect he was strongly behind the Harper and Edwards signings.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:41 - Apr 26 with 2478 viewsArnieM

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:27 - Apr 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed re Ashton.

Well it is his matrix isn’t it lol …..

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:44 - Apr 26 with 2476 viewsDubtractor

Lets be frank, failing to go up, or at least trouble the top spots is a huge failure for this season and will not be what was expected.

And yet.......I still feel pretty happy with where we are, the direction of the club, the job that McKenna is doing etc etc. I'm confident for next season in a way I never really was for this one - the job Cook did at the end of last season def had some alarms ringing in my head!

This time next year we'll be celebrating I reckon.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:46 - Apr 26 with 2464 viewsArnieM

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:44 - Apr 26 by Dubtractor

Lets be frank, failing to go up, or at least trouble the top spots is a huge failure for this season and will not be what was expected.

And yet.......I still feel pretty happy with where we are, the direction of the club, the job that McKenna is doing etc etc. I'm confident for next season in a way I never really was for this one - the job Cook did at the end of last season def had some alarms ringing in my head!

This time next year we'll be celebrating I reckon.

God I hope you’re right Dubs 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:56 - Apr 26 with 2433 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Before the start of the season I expected a improvement on last season. The longer Cook stayed in post the more obvious that wasn't going to happen. In retrospect the signs were there in the summer. We stuck with him then but I thought he should have gone after the home thrashing by Bolton. Again, our owners showed the traditional patience that our club has generally had. For a short while it looked like their patience would be rewarded but ultimately it proved to seal our fate.

Now the months and season(s) ahead will show whether McKenna really is the right choice that he has shown the promise of being.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:01 - Apr 26 with 2421 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:27 - Apr 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed re Ashton.

I don't get why MA comes out of this season worse than McKenna does.

If you are "blaming" MA for signing two young players who have not yet worked out, are you not also going to credit him for signing Walton, Burns, Edmondson and Morsy? It is a two-way street. Ultimately Cook takes the blame for building a bloated and unbalanced squad after being allowed to dismantle a bloated and unbalanced one. I trust McKenna to be more shrewd in his dealings (January giving some evidence towards that but we do need to get the right players in too).

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:03 - Apr 26 with 2401 viewsMullet

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:01 - Apr 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

If you are "blaming" MA for signing two young players who have not yet worked out, are you not also going to credit him for signing Walton, Burns, Edmondson and Morsy? It is a two-way street. Ultimately Cook takes the blame for building a bloated and unbalanced squad after being allowed to dismantle a bloated and unbalanced one. I trust McKenna to be more shrewd in his dealings (January giving some evidence towards that but we do need to get the right players in too).

Especially as in the case of Edwards KmcK recognised he could be coached and then his leg blew apart ending his season before he could try him in a new role.

Harper is a massive disappointment. Crewe fans are not impressed at all and he looked to have all the pieces to be a decent player. I wonder if he was a few months either side of getting some top quality coaching and development instead of shoehorned in a failing side and then COVID.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:26 - Apr 26 with 2353 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:01 - Apr 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I'm not saying MA has done badly, but he's certainly not come close to achieving his on pitch objectives this season.

KM on the other hand has a good overall record.

Morsy and Walton were very much Cook signings, and I'm not one to praise Cook.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 20:27]

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:29 - Apr 26 with 2306 viewsElephantintheRoom

Only the truly deluded would think that a mismatched job lot of mercenaries would do better than last season’s reasonably settled team which had a core of Ipswich players. As predicted they were confused, hapless and hopeless - and Cook was despatched almost as soon as he finished his kid in a sweet shop recruitment.

So one year on Town have half a decent team - just like they did before Cook went mad.

Ashton won’t care much as the pressure ramps up - his massive pay-off is guaranteed. But he has to carry the can for actually managing to take the club backwards at huge (borrowed) expense

McKenna is still a genius. Nobody seems to be asking why given half a season he can’t get the team to score from set pieces - and has seemingly sterilised every striker at the club. I would imagine Schwarz will panic again and sack him three months into the season if Town are hopelessly off the pace again. Though maybe that won’t happen McKenna will find some strikers - and Town will score from a corner

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:37 - Apr 26 with 2263 viewsibbleobble

Less points and lower finish than last season on 19:56 - Apr 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Before the start of the season I expected a improvement on last season. The longer Cook stayed in post the more obvious that wasn't going to happen. In retrospect the signs were there in the summer. We stuck with him then but I thought he should have gone after the home thrashing by Bolton. Again, our owners showed the traditional patience that our club has generally had. For a short while it looked like their patience would be rewarded but ultimately it proved to seal our fate.

Now the months and season(s) ahead will show whether McKenna really is the right choice that he has shown the promise of being.

Not sure I agree that the decision sealed our fate. I think maybe they should have had a replacement for Cook before he was sacked - that may have improved the 2 points in 9 that McGreal picked up but 23 games is a good chunk to make a claim for a place. We were 7 - 9 pts off the play-offs depending on games in hand. We’re now a colossal 13 pts so however we cut it and despite some lovely football at times, we’ve regressed.

1 step back for two forward? God I hope so.
Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:38 - Apr 26 with 2258 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:26 - Apr 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not saying MA has done badly, but he's certainly not come close to achieving his on pitch objectives this season.

KM on the other hand has a good overall record.

Morsy and Walton were very much Cook signings, and I'm not one to praise Cook.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 20:27]

Surely the on-pitch record reflects far more on McKenna than it does Ashton so your argument rather argues against your own point that McKenna has achieved better than Ashton.

Harper and Edwards were Cook signings as much as Morsy and Walton were. All of them were also negotiated by Ashton.

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:43 - Apr 26 with 2234 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:37 - Apr 26 by ibbleobble

Not sure I agree that the decision sealed our fate. I think maybe they should have had a replacement for Cook before he was sacked - that may have improved the 2 points in 9 that McGreal picked up but 23 games is a good chunk to make a claim for a place. We were 7 - 9 pts off the play-offs depending on games in hand. We’re now a colossal 13 pts so however we cut it and despite some lovely football at times, we’ve regressed.

1 step back for two forward? God I hope so.

We have taken 35 points from those 23 games. So being 13 points off 6th, even if we had collected 48 points from those 23 matches we would be far from guaranteed a play-off spot. For automatic we would have needed another 10+ points on top of those. I would say the fate was sealed as much as McKenna made it look still possible for a short while.

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:50 - Apr 26 with 2194 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:38 - Apr 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Surely the on-pitch record reflects far more on McKenna than it does Ashton so your argument rather argues against your own point that McKenna has achieved better than Ashton.

Harper and Edwards were Cook signings as much as Morsy and Walton were. All of them were also negotiated by Ashton.

It reflects well on KM for his time here (dont forget Cook was here for half a season) however, the same can't be said of MA's time.

I think we are heading in the right direction.

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:53 - Apr 26 with 2165 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:50 - Apr 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

It reflects well on KM for his time here (dont forget Cook was here for half a season) however, the same can't be said of MA's time.

I think we are heading in the right direction.

IF it reflects well on McKenna for his time here, then that reflects well on Ashton for recruiting him!

I just don't get why some are determined that Ashton is a failure.

Yes, if McKenna ultimately fails then I get the argument.

Less points and lower finish than last season on 21:04 - Apr 26 with 2080 viewsMillsey

Bl00dy hell you lot haven’t got anything better to do?
Less points and lower finish than last season on 21:17 - Apr 26 with 2039 viewsibbleobble

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:43 - Apr 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

We have taken 35 points from those 23 games. So being 13 points off 6th, even if we had collected 48 points from those 23 matches we would be far from guaranteed a play-off spot. For automatic we would have needed another 10+ points on top of those. I would say the fate was sealed as much as McKenna made it look still possible for a short while.

As I say, I think the appointment being made sooner would have helped massively. There’s no doubt we’ve squandered those 13 pts along the way though.
Less points and lower finish than last season on 22:09 - Apr 26 with 1935 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Less points and lower finish than last season on 20:53 - Apr 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

IF it reflects well on McKenna for his time here, then that reflects well on Ashton for recruiting him!

I just don't get why some are determined that Ashton is a failure.

Yes, if McKenna ultimately fails then I get the argument.

I didn't say MA was a failure, I just said that he's not achieved what he would have liked to have achieved this season.

Happy to agree to differ. Am worried you'll blow a fuse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024