Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m most peed off 06:49 - Apr 27 with 2478 viewstheinbetweener

That we ended up finishing below Portsmouth and Bolton tbh. How did that happen?!
I’m most peed off on 07:30 - Apr 27 with 1916 viewsWacko

Cook happened

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

I’m most peed off on 07:54 - Apr 27 with 1869 viewsDeano69

I’m most peed off on 07:30 - Apr 27 by Wacko

Cook happened

Imagine where we could of ended up had he been allowed to stay….

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

I’m most peed off on 08:01 - Apr 27 with 1844 viewsWeWereZombies

We could still finish above Bolton, let's not write off the sunny uplands of tenth position in the Third Division until it is mathematically impossible...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I’m most peed off on 08:01 - Apr 27 with 1837 viewschicoazul

Remember when we all laughed at Portsmouth during the transfer shenanigans last summer?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I’m most peed off on 08:02 - Apr 27 with 1840 viewspatrickswell

I’m most peed off on 07:30 - Apr 27 by Wacko

Cook happened

Typical of our luck that it’s when Cook comes to us that Leam Richardson decides he’s had enough of making him look like a good manager.
I’m most peed off on 08:09 - Apr 27 with 1827 viewsIPS_wich

I was looking at all of the english tables this morning, and realised that Oldham are likely to be relegated to the Conference - which will possibly make them the first ex-Premier League to be playing in non-league since the Premier League started 30 years ago.

I then wondered how many other ex-Premier League teams were outside of the Premier League - wish I hadn't bothered!!

- There are 30 ex-Premier League teams outside of the top division
- 19 in the Championship
- 8 in League 1
- 3 in League 2 (Oldham, Bradford, Swindon)

Only Wimbledon and Charlton sit below us in League 1. Which means we are currently the 25th ranked ex-Premier League side out of 30. That is shocking.
I’m most peed off on 08:31 - Apr 27 with 1754 viewsChurchman

Cook didn’t know how to build a football team is how that happened. Personally, I couldn’t care a less who finished above or below us. We should have challenged for top two. I am confident we will next year.
I’m most peed off on 08:47 - Apr 27 with 1690 viewsGarv

I’m most peed off on 08:09 - Apr 27 by IPS_wich

I was looking at all of the english tables this morning, and realised that Oldham are likely to be relegated to the Conference - which will possibly make them the first ex-Premier League to be playing in non-league since the Premier League started 30 years ago.

I then wondered how many other ex-Premier League teams were outside of the Premier League - wish I hadn't bothered!!

- 19 in the Championship
- 8 in League 1

Only Wimbledon and Charlton sit below us in League 1. Which means we are currently the 25th ranked ex-Premier League side out of 30. That is shocking.

Is it?

We're probably one of the least established PL clubs from the list. How many years since it was formed have we spent there, five?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

I’m most peed off on 09:08 - Apr 27 with 1606 viewsHighgateBlue

I’m most peed off on 07:54 - Apr 27 by Deano69

Imagine where we could of ended up had he been allowed to stay….

Which many wanted him to. I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.
I’m most peed off on 09:10 - Apr 27 with 1593 viewsclive_baker

Lost home and away to Bolton with an aggregate score of 7-2 to be fair, that's a factor in how that one happened.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I’m most peed off on 09:13 - Apr 27 with 1573 viewsEwan_Oozami

I’m most peed off on 08:01 - Apr 27 by chicoazul

Remember when we all laughed at Portsmouth during the transfer shenanigans last summer?

When you say "we all", do you mean a "small minority"?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I’m most peed off on 09:21 - Apr 27 with 1540 viewsElephantintheRoom

Go back in time to the start of the franchise era - nobody at the club from Ashton downwards knew anything about the club, town, region - or the quality (or otherwise) of the squad they inherited. To evict an entire team capable of flirting with the play offs was always plain daft. To be charitable - the club is almost back to where it was when the cull started with more than half a decent team - so as long as the new brooms don’t make the same mistakes, all should be well

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I’m most peed off on 09:35 - Apr 27 with 1481 viewsBlueBadger

I’m most peed off on 08:47 - Apr 27 by Garv

Is it?

We're probably one of the least established PL clubs from the list. How many years since it was formed have we spent there, five?

Top flight football was A Thing before 1992, I believe.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 10:18]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I’m most peed off on 09:46 - Apr 27 with 1447 viewsDarth_Koont

I think the simple answer is that we’re not a good team yet.

This season, we’ve developed a stable, defensive foundation that is very much the start of that but little cohesion and pattern ahead of that (beyond Donacien and Burns on the right who are ostensibly defenders).

I think there was a bit too much hubris at the start of the season that an almost entirely new squad of admittedly talented players would automatically become a promotion team. As much as anything that’s a misreading of the league and the 7 teams that will finish comfortably ahead of us.
And even teams like Bolton and Portsmouth have been more effective at times.

But for me this is a sobering experience we need. Promotion won’t be achieved by buying the best players per se, it’ll be by building, sustaining and developing the best team. And I have confidence in McKenna and the individual ability in the squad (with a few key additions to shape our attacking play).

We can be optimistic given we’ve come a long way this season (the defensive unit and Walton really are very, very good) and we’re a lot closer to a genuine promotion team than we were back in August.

Pronouns: He/Him

I’m most peed off on 09:50 - Apr 27 with 1428 viewschicoazul

I’m most peed off on 09:46 - Apr 27 by Darth_Koont

I think the simple answer is that we’re not a good team yet.

This season, we’ve developed a stable, defensive foundation that is very much the start of that but little cohesion and pattern ahead of that (beyond Donacien and Burns on the right who are ostensibly defenders).

I think there was a bit too much hubris at the start of the season that an almost entirely new squad of admittedly talented players would automatically become a promotion team. As much as anything that’s a misreading of the league and the 7 teams that will finish comfortably ahead of us.
And even teams like Bolton and Portsmouth have been more effective at times.

But for me this is a sobering experience we need. Promotion won’t be achieved by buying the best players per se, it’ll be by building, sustaining and developing the best team. And I have confidence in McKenna and the individual ability in the squad (with a few key additions to shape our attacking play).

We can be optimistic given we’ve come a long way this season (the defensive unit and Walton really are very, very good) and we’re a lot closer to a genuine promotion team than we were back in August.

We need another 25 goals next season. Is McK the Manager to make that happen? To make it happen we need a Lyall-esque transformation from mid table trundlers to Champions.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

I agree!! on 09:50 - Apr 27 with 1433 viewsunstableblue

I know a lot of people, probably rightly, state that once the play off place went it doesn’t matter if you’re 7th or 11th…. But I’m not sure I follow that

Attracting players, building momentum, developing a team ethos on how to see out games and punish teams…. Were perhaps things a good run would have supported.

We really have dropped away. And Bolton and Pompey have finished stronger, and our original rivals such as Wycombe have kept going.

McKenna’s PPG game would now have us at 79 points across the season. 4 points off expected 83 to get in play offs, and 11 off the 90 for top two. In reality due mainly Paul Cook we sit at 67 which is miles off.

Let’s beat Charlton who will give us a good game and be up there next season. Let’s take comfort that Norwood and bonne have been terrible anc couldn’t hit a barn door and Jackson has been out.

Perhaps a final positive is that the team and McKenna go into next season a bit humbled, and realise the gigantic leap we have to make. 79 points is where this McKenna side sits, and that’s way way off automatic form.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I’m most peed off on 10:05 - Apr 27 with 1347 viewsDarth_Koont

I’m most peed off on 09:50 - Apr 27 by chicoazul

We need another 25 goals next season. Is McK the Manager to make that happen? To make it happen we need a Lyall-esque transformation from mid table trundlers to Champions.

We’ve made bigger transformations with a lot less quality in the squad. And in the Championship where we weren’t keeping up financially.

In 2004/05 and 2014/15 we had done little the previous seasons to suggest that we were going to mix it at the very top of the table (even if the small squad fell away in 2014/15 in the last months).

These transformations happen. It’s all about whether we have the right material in the manager and the squad, not too much how they did the season before when things weren’t quite in place.

Pronouns: He/Him

I’m most peed off on 10:08 - Apr 27 with 1340 viewschicoazul

I’m most peed off on 10:05 - Apr 27 by Darth_Koont

We’ve made bigger transformations with a lot less quality in the squad. And in the Championship where we weren’t keeping up financially.

In 2004/05 and 2014/15 we had done little the previous seasons to suggest that we were going to mix it at the very top of the table (even if the small squad fell away in 2014/15 in the last months).

These transformations happen. It’s all about whether we have the right material in the manager and the squad, not too much how they did the season before when things weren’t quite in place.

As things stand I think we have 12 contracted first team players for next season. A lot of our success will depend on recruitment again. But I think the minerals are there.

I’m most peed off on 10:27 - Apr 27 with 1280 viewsBeckets

I’m most peed off on 10:08 - Apr 27 by chicoazul

As things stand I think we have 12 contracted first team players for next season. A lot of our success will depend on recruitment again. But I think the minerals are there.

Nearer 18 but good effort.
I’m most peed off on 10:30 - Apr 27 with 1276 viewsquad

I’m most peed off on 08:01 - Apr 27 by chicoazul

Guilty

How the actual flip did they end up above us???!!
I’m most peed off on 10:34 - Apr 27 with 1253 viewsSitfcB

I’m most peed off on 08:09 - Apr 27 by IPS_wich

- 19 in the Championship
- 8 in League 1

They have been relegated.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I’m most peed off on 10:40 - Apr 27 with 1221 viewsGarv

I’m most peed off on 09:35 - Apr 27 by BlueBadger

Top flight football was A Thing before 1992, I believe.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 10:18]

Different debate then.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I’m most peed off on 10:54 - Apr 27 with 1162 viewschicoazul

I’m most peed off on 10:27 - Apr 27 by Beckets

Nearer 18 but good effort.

Walton Hladky Fridge Burgess Woolf Janoi Penney KVY Harper Morsy Evans ElMiz Burns Edwards Chaplin Pig.
This is all speculation now but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think several in there are out of the picture - Hladky Pig Penney KVY and Harper for a start. Who knows what condition Evans and Edwards will be in. We may get a good offer for Fridge Morsy or Chaplin but we are in a strong position to say no if we do. I’m really saying that another summer of ins and outs looms which in itself is no bad thing and as is clear to me is just the way of things in this league. But we need to strongly reinforce the attack while maintaining our strength at the back (although that’s dipped a bit lately).

I’m most peed off on 11:22 - Apr 27 with 1077 viewsBeckets

I’m most peed off on 10:54 - Apr 27 by chicoazul

Walton Hladky Fridge Burgess Woolf Janoi Penney KVY Harper Morsy Evans ElMiz Burns Edwards Chaplin Pig.
This is all speculation now but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think several in there are out of the picture - Hladky Pig Penney KVY and Harper for a start. Who knows what condition Evans and Edwards will be in. We may get a good offer for Fridge Morsy or Chaplin but we are in a strong position to say no if we do. I’m really saying that another summer of ins and outs looms which in itself is no bad thing and as is clear to me is just the way of things in this league. But we need to strongly reinforce the attack while maintaining our strength at the back (although that’s dipped a bit lately).

Ndaba and Morris are both in contract and would count towards FPP
I’m most peed off on 11:24 - Apr 27 with 1067 viewschicoazul

I’m most peed off on 11:22 - Apr 27 by Beckets

Ndaba and Morris are both in contract and would count towards FPP

I don’t think they’re first team.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024