Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Annual MOT to be scrapped 18:02 - Apr 27 with 4020 viewsgtsb1966

and moved to a two yearly test to save the motorist an average of £55 every other year is the latest government proposal. So for the sake of the motorist saving just over £1 a week the government are prepared to let potentially dangerous cars on the road. Can't say I agree with this proposal but many will.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:05 - Apr 27 with 3291 viewsZXBlue

utterly ridiculous. Reduce safety on the roads, increase pollution, put some garages and MOT centres in financial peril, for a few cheap votes.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:07 - Apr 27 with 3265 viewsblueasfook

I don't agree with it either. It's going to lead to more road incidents due to mechanical failures.

You'll have issues like corroded brake lines and worn brake pads going undiscovered for up to 2 years. It's all going to end badly.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:32 - Apr 27 with 3195 viewsSitfcB

Pointless move.

How about try and get the insurance companies to lower their prices!!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:35 - Apr 27 with 3187 viewsIllinoisblue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:07 - Apr 27 by blueasfook

I don't agree with it either. It's going to lead to more road incidents due to mechanical failures.

You'll have issues like corroded brake lines and worn brake pads going undiscovered for up to 2 years. It's all going to end badly.

Will it, though? Most modern cars are reliable now. The USA has no such system of annual car checks like the MOT. Cars here aren’t falling apart mid-journey.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:43 - Apr 27 with 3148 viewsZXBlue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:35 - Apr 27 by Illinoisblue

Will it, though? Most modern cars are reliable now. The USA has no such system of annual car checks like the MOT. Cars here aren’t falling apart mid-journey.

Reliable or not, break pads go, tyres wear down and older cars kick out bad emissions which are caught by mots...
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 20:09 - Apr 27 with 2989 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I agree, it's a terrible idea. Let's have more people dying or being seriously injured on the roads, for a tiny financial saving.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 20:25 - Apr 27 with 2946 viewsMullet

...and more pothole related accidents

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 20:34 - Apr 27 with 2914 viewsLord_Lucan

I think it’s a good idea actually but not as a gesture to help the economy - that’s a smokescreen as it’s probably overdue anyway.

Cars these days are completely different from the bangers of old.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 20:34]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 21:34 - Apr 27 with 2760 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:32 - Apr 27 by SitfcB

Pointless move.

How about try and get the insurance companies to lower their prices!!

Most of the time motor insurance barely breaks even.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 21:38 - Apr 27 with 2750 viewsjeera

Would probably make more sense if checks were implemented according to mileage rather than age alone.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 21:52 - Apr 27 with 2689 viewsElderGrizzly

It’s a Daily Mail reader policy.

As you say £1 a week saving, but it will be spun like the most generous Chancellor ever etc

This Govt has already cost most people an extra £1600 a year since 2020.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 21:54 - Apr 27 with 2685 viewsPinewoodblue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 20:34 - Apr 27 by Lord_Lucan

I think it’s a good idea actually but not as a gesture to help the economy - that’s a smokescreen as it’s probably overdue anyway.

Cars these days are completely different from the bangers of old.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 20:34]

You could say that old bangers* are exempt and don't need an MOT

*Any car registered before January 1982 . Cars registered before January 1992 are also exempt as long as they have not been substantially modified.

Pretty sure Police cars are also exempt.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 22:05 - Apr 27 with 2641 viewsjeera

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 21:54 - Apr 27 by Pinewoodblue

You could say that old bangers* are exempt and don't need an MOT

*Any car registered before January 1982 . Cars registered before January 1992 are also exempt as long as they have not been substantially modified.

Pretty sure Police cars are also exempt.

Police cars are apparently exempt but of course undergo regular checks/servicing.

(You'd hope).

Often the rules around these things make no sense.

A taxi/private hire vehicle will need to have the usual annual MOT but also has to have a council approved check annually too.

These are essentially the same check yet they can be both carried out at the same time. In fact councils offer a discount if drivers take up this option.

But then that vehicle that carries the public around working at a rate of 1,000+ miles per week having a whole year before its next check.

I've never argued that vehicles responsible for carrying the public shouldn't be subject to more extensive checks, (they should) but to not space out those checks into 6 monthly appointments makes no sense.

There can be no point in having two together at the same time other than to extract from the driver as much as possible in fees.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 22:09]

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 22:28 - Apr 27 with 2595 viewsCBBlue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 21:52 - Apr 27 by ElderGrizzly

It’s a Daily Mail reader policy.

As you say £1 a week saving, but it will be spun like the most generous Chancellor ever etc

This Govt has already cost most people an extra £1600 a year since 2020.

But it's not saving £1 a week, if the MOTs go biannually then it's saving us 50 quid every other year so will average out as saving us £25 a year - about enough to put a third of a tank of petrol in my car!

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:14 - Apr 27 with 2521 viewsPinewoodblue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 22:28 - Apr 27 by CBBlue

But it's not saving £1 a week, if the MOTs go biannually then it's saving us 50 quid every other year so will average out as saving us £25 a year - about enough to put a third of a tank of petrol in my car!

There are around 29,000,000 MOT tests carried out each year. So from the date MOT's become biannual there will be 29,000,000 vehicles that will go two years before their next test.

In 2019 new car registrations fell to 2,300,000. Net result a significant drop in MOT testing in the next 12 months and a big drop in revenue to the Motor Trade even bigger when you consider how many have an annual service at same time as MOT and that it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume a drop in number of vehicles being serviced.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:38 - Apr 27 with 2439 viewsSwansea_Blue

I found it a very different approach in the US though - oil changes were routine (far more often than here) and there’d be seasonal changes to fluids and tyres (I suppose that only applies to those states that have proper winters. Our cars were looked at much more regularly than they are here in the UK, irrespective of any formal requirements.

What I don’t understand about this move is that the govt are justifying it saying people will save servicing costs. But they’re separate to the MOT anyway. Some people may not already service regularly and most with newer cars wouldn’t be able to change anyway as it’s a condition of warrantees. And many people won’t have cars anyway.

Seems a bit of a lazy, half baked plan to me. The cost of living crisis is due to the combined effect of Brexit, global shipping costs, fuel price rises and now more food rises due to the war in Ukraine. This idea does address any of those causes at all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:43 - Apr 27 with 2419 viewsjeera

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:38 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

I found it a very different approach in the US though - oil changes were routine (far more often than here) and there’d be seasonal changes to fluids and tyres (I suppose that only applies to those states that have proper winters. Our cars were looked at much more regularly than they are here in the UK, irrespective of any formal requirements.

What I don’t understand about this move is that the govt are justifying it saying people will save servicing costs. But they’re separate to the MOT anyway. Some people may not already service regularly and most with newer cars wouldn’t be able to change anyway as it’s a condition of warrantees. And many people won’t have cars anyway.

Seems a bit of a lazy, half baked plan to me. The cost of living crisis is due to the combined effect of Brexit, global shipping costs, fuel price rises and now more food rises due to the war in Ukraine. This idea does address any of those causes at all.

And you already know the price of MOTs will double by the first year of the new rules.

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:54 - Apr 27 with 2385 viewsZXBlue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:38 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

Its meaningless. An MOT is no more than 40 quid.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:59 - Apr 27 with 2369 viewslowhouseblue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:54 - Apr 27 by ZXBlue

Its meaningless. An MOT is no more than 40 quid.

yeah, but then you have to replace the brakes and stuff, and what's the point of that?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 02:01 - Apr 28 with 2307 viewsBigCommon

I'm all for it.. My last 2 MOT's , amounted to virtually nothing wrong with the vehicle.(Advisory on a tyre). Cost me £50 for the MOT and a day's pay, off work, both times... Garage made sod all, and I lost £££.. I'm sure my local mechanic would have earned more money, if he was actually doing some kind of repair on someone else' vehicle..
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 02:52 - Apr 28 with 2276 viewsRyorry

Depends what you mean by "modern". My 2009 6th-hand Freelander has over 100K on the clock & is still worth keeping going, tho at 13 years old I doubt it'd meet your expectations of being a "modern" vehicle, for all that it's digitised & has ABS. Howeever, I wouldn't drive it without it having an annual service & checkover.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 05:43 - Apr 28 with 2229 viewsBigCommon

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 02:52 - Apr 28 by Ryorry

Depends what you mean by "modern". My 2009 6th-hand Freelander has over 100K on the clock & is still worth keeping going, tho at 13 years old I doubt it'd meet your expectations of being a "modern" vehicle, for all that it's digitised & has ABS. Howeever, I wouldn't drive it without it having an annual service & checkover.

A service and MOT are completely different?..... My old van is regularly serviced. Hence the MOT is usually a waste of time and ££...
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 12:48]
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 06:42 - Apr 28 with 2182 viewsChurchman

I’m in two minds on this really, but I shall nail my colours to the mast and say leave it as annual.

However, given that cars are so much better made than they were years ago, I would require MOTs from year five rather than year three as it is now.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 08:01 - Apr 28 with 2106 viewsTractorWood

Pointless novelty economics.

Cut the VAT on energy bills to 0%
Cut VAT on petrol to 10%
Minimum tax of 15% on mega-tech, Starbucks et al

Job done.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 8:02]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 08:22 - Apr 28 with 2047 viewsElephantintheRoom

It was ‘blue sky thinking’ and seems a reasonable idea - as was Rees-Smug’s suggestion to quietly forget about a meaningless commitment to ‘zero carbon’ whilst WW3 is smouldering and the embers glowing thanks to empty rhetoric from low-grade politicians deflecting attention from their own inadequacies.

The home of sue you sir, the USA and many others get by without the fairly innocuous and somewhat fatuous test that will need a bit of tweaking anyway to include any virtue signallers in their ageing electric cars.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024