Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we take the Russians threats seriously 19:38 - Apr 27 with 6136 viewsBobsthename

Lately i’ve read the Russians have nuclear bomb that can hit the UK and cause massive loss of lives probably wipe most of the UK out,I was wondering do we have anything in our arsenal in the way of nuclear bombs to deter them from their threats because i see we are thinking about provoking them by giving them more military equipment even planes.
Thoughts?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 19:38]
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:40 - Apr 27 with 3157 viewsfooters

You've only recently read that Russia has nuclear weapons?

Are you a time traveller?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:46 - Apr 27 with 3110 viewsBobsthename

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:40 - Apr 27 by footers

Yes i know they have them you have missed my point i was asking if people knew their capabilities.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:46 - Apr 27 with 3111 viewsZXBlue

Nato has enough to wipe out russia too. Mutually assured destruction.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:48 - Apr 27 with 3098 viewsBobsthename

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:46 - Apr 27 by ZXBlue

Nato has enough to wipe out russia too. Mutually assured destruction.

So if both military’s fired off it would almost be the end of the world for sure?
cheers.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:48 - Apr 27 with 3098 viewsfooters

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:46 - Apr 27 by Bobsthename

Yes i know they have them you have missed my point i was asking if people knew their capabilities.

They have the world's largest nuclear arsenal.

I'm sorry if your point was too nuanced for me to understand.

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:57 - Apr 27 with 3039 viewswaveneyblue

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:40 - Apr 27 by footers

Siri - give me an example of why some people on TWTD are unpleasant idiots

Sure ... Here it is
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:04 - Apr 27 with 3020 viewsfooters

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:57 - Apr 27 by waveneyblue

Siri - give me an example of why some people on TWTD are unpleasant idiots

Sure ... Here it is

I may be unpleasant and an idiot, but I can't think a way of finishing this sentence.

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:10 - Apr 27 with 2959 viewswaveneyblue

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:04 - Apr 27 by footers

I may be unpleasant and an idiot, but I can't think a way of finishing this sentence.

Acceptance is half way to redemption

Or some other b0llocks, I have no clue really
Login to get fewer ads

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:25 - Apr 27 with 2923 viewsLord_Lucan

If you want a serious answer.

I actually think for the first time in my life we are in danger of a nuclear strike.

I don’t want to spread fear but I believe that if one country out of any that would get hit it would be UK. Reason - UK is doing as much to support Ukraine as all the other EU countries combined, and I don’t think they would have the balls to hit USA.

Until recently I assumed no one would be so daft as the radiation involved would blow back on them but after speaking recently to a man who knows things he advises me that nuclear bunkers are more like large towns with transport systems, clubs and bars, restaurants etc. I naively assumed they were a concrete bunker about the size of a provincial railway station with a larder of spam.

I also thought that there must be a chain of command where someone would stop it, but if you have an option of either pressing the button and living in the bunker or refusing and getting shot, what would they do?

Putin is clearly the biggest nutter in recent history - and possibly unwell in body and mind.

I don’t care about myself, I’ve had a life, but I am genuinely worried about my kids and grandkids.

I still think it’s just a remote possibility but I think situations could change at the blink of an eye.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 23:18]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:36 - Apr 27 with 2855 viewsChurchman

They can wipe out the U.K. without a problem. Goodbye Europe too thanks to fallout. And plenty of Russia too.

U.K. has 200 plus nuclear warheads in its arsenal. I’ve heard that the deterrent is fully operational and it’s entirely independent of the US. It cannot be stopped. Ok, Russia is a big place but there are enough to make even the maddest russian idiot with a big hat to ask the question is it worth it?

The only way with animals like these is to face up to them. They won’t stop unless people(s) do. Appeasement has never served anyone well ever. It certainly won’t stop that bit of dog dirt Putin now. Something that threatens his existence just might.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:41 - Apr 27 with 2815 viewsBobsthename

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:25 - Apr 27 by Lord_Lucan

I actually think for the first time in my life we are in danger of a nuclear strike.

I don’t want to spread fear but I believe that if one country out of any that would get hit it would be UK. Reason - UK is doing as much to support Ukraine as all the other EU countries combined, and I don’t think they would have the balls to hit USA.

Until recently I assumed no one would be so daft as the radiation involved would blow back on them but after speaking recently to a man who knows things he advises me that nuclear bunkers are more like large towns with transport systems, clubs and bars, restaurants etc. I naively assumed they were a concrete bunker about the size of a provincial railway station with a larder of spam.

I also thought that there must be a chain of command where someone would stop it, but if you have an option of either pressing the button and living in the bunker or refusing and getting shot, what would they do?

Putin is clearly the biggest nutter in recent history - and possibly unwell in body and mind.

I don’t care about myself, I’ve had a life, but I am genuinely worried about my kids and grandkids.

I still think it’s just a remote possibility but I think situations could change at the blink of an eye.

Yep from what i also read that if we keep pushing Putin he will fight back and it might not end well for the UK but i assume it’s a bit of tit for tat so if Putin did fire one he could well be on the receiving end of a few from nato such a risk to show it can be done frightening really as you say .
This war in ukraine needs to end surely someone needs to give ground for the sake of all these lives being lost i ain’t got a clue what’s going to happen but i’m sure the ukrainians are not blameless in all this but we’ll never know.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:02 - Apr 27 with 2739 viewsChurchman

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:41 - Apr 27 by Bobsthename

Yep from what i also read that if we keep pushing Putin he will fight back and it might not end well for the UK but i assume it’s a bit of tit for tat so if Putin did fire one he could well be on the receiving end of a few from nato such a risk to show it can be done frightening really as you say .
This war in ukraine needs to end surely someone needs to give ground for the sake of all these lives being lost i ain’t got a clue what’s going to happen but i’m sure the ukrainians are not blameless in all this but we’ll never know.

We are not pushing Putin. We are supporting a country that has been illegally and immorally invaded. We have a right under international law to do it. If Russia doesn’t like it, who cares.

The irony is that we supported a country after 22/6/1941 when it had been invaded. Russia. Without that support, Moscow and possibly Stalingrad might well have fallen. The Russians have never acknowledged that or the part played by anyone else in the defeat of the Nazis, Fascist Italy and Japan.

I know their sacrifice was huge, but part of that was of their own making. Stalin executed a million plus of his own people, bumped off his military leadership before WW2, starved to death 5+ million and the killing never stopped to the day he died. Even the prisoners of war the Germans hadn’t murdered were executed or worked to death when they returned.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:08 - Apr 27 with 2700 viewsBobsthename

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:02 - Apr 27 by Churchman

We are not pushing Putin. We are supporting a country that has been illegally and immorally invaded. We have a right under international law to do it. If Russia doesn’t like it, who cares.

The irony is that we supported a country after 22/6/1941 when it had been invaded. Russia. Without that support, Moscow and possibly Stalingrad might well have fallen. The Russians have never acknowledged that or the part played by anyone else in the defeat of the Nazis, Fascist Italy and Japan.

I know their sacrifice was huge, but part of that was of their own making. Stalin executed a million plus of his own people, bumped off his military leadership before WW2, starved to death 5+ million and the killing never stopped to the day he died. Even the prisoners of war the Germans hadn’t murdered were executed or worked to death when they returned.

I get the invasion is wrong and illegal but that doesn’t apply to Putin he is a law to himself so what ever the west do he doesn’t care a less sanction’s unsure if there working ourthreats fall on death ears i think Lucans right it could end badly for us if we keep doing what he don’t like.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:13 - Apr 27 with 2685 viewsChurchman

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:08 - Apr 27 by Bobsthename

I get the invasion is wrong and illegal but that doesn’t apply to Putin he is a law to himself so what ever the west do he doesn’t care a less sanction’s unsure if there working ourthreats fall on death ears i think Lucans right it could end badly for us if we keep doing what he don’t like.

It’ll end worse if we do what he wants. Always do what your enemy doesn’t want you to do. Sadly with millions of lives at stake, we or Ukraine didn’t want this game, but in my opinion there’s only one way to play it. Freedom is hard one and easily lost. It’s one thing above all worth fighting for.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:15 - Apr 27 with 2674 viewsSwansea_Blue

Given some of what we’re hearing from Ukraine, there’s a good chance their nukes don’t work/they’ve run out of fuel/they’ve lost the key. We seem to have been seriously over-estimating their conventional military capability.

You’d be a brave leader to gamble on that though. (And we wouldn’t gamble - I’m sure we’ve got plenty of intel on exactly the state of their nuclear arsenal).

It’s a worry for sure. Putin’s out of control and batsh*t crazy - not a good combination.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:21 - Apr 27 with 2626 viewsKievthegreat

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 20:25 - Apr 27 by Lord_Lucan

I think Poland has given more than us, although it admittedly depends on how you value everything being done. They have also taken in 3+ million refugees in and all that entails. I think we are making extremely significant contributions, but our biggest help (along with the Americans in particular) was that we were helping very early and before the war so were able to get them stuff for the initial attacks.

I also think the most likely target is going to be Ukraine itself, or perhaps Poland/Baltics. Any strike against the UK makes retaliation highly likely as the UK can unilaterally respond.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:25 - Apr 27 with 2581 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:02 - Apr 27 by Churchman

Also don’t forget they were allied to the Nazis and carved up Poland with them. Just a case of one murderous dictator double crossing another. They even supplied them with raw materials at a time Britain was at war with Germany.

Hopefully even if Putin wanted to press the button his generals would intervene.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:25 - Apr 27 with 2585 viewsnodge_blue

I'm sure I read that 1 percent of the world's nuclear weapons would destroy the planet through fallout and a nuclear winter.

Whilst Russia has these hypersonic missiles, the UK has missiles on submarines. So even a preemptive strike by Russia would still be met by attack from the submarines.

So it would still be mutual destruction.

I think he's just sabre rattling. But if Russia ended up losing the conflict I think he could do something unpredictable. But would you nuke a country that has nukes or a country that doesn't?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:25 - Apr 27 with 2579 viewsLord_Lucan

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:15 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

Given some of what we’re hearing from Ukraine, there’s a good chance their nukes don’t work/they’ve run out of fuel/they’ve lost the key. We seem to have been seriously over-estimating their conventional military capability.

You’d be a brave leader to gamble on that though. (And we wouldn’t gamble - I’m sure we’ve got plenty of intel on exactly the state of their nuclear arsenal).

It’s a worry for sure. Putin’s out of control and batsh*t crazy - not a good combination.

There is no way Russia doesn’t have a capable and serviceable nuclear strike force.

Ironically Ukraine was the biggest until we told them to agree to mothball them - but that’s irrelevant as it was a different time.

The funny thing is we were worried about Boris Yeltsin!

Thinking about it further, a Double Boris might have been a dream team.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:30 - Apr 27 with 2549 viewsfactual_blue

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:48 - Apr 27 by Bobsthename

So if both military’s fired off it would almost be the end of the world for sure?
cheers.

Has this genuinely surprised you?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:31 - Apr 27 with 2541 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:25 - Apr 27 by Lord_Lucan

There is no way Russia doesn’t have a capable and serviceable nuclear strike force.

Ironically Ukraine was the biggest until we told them to agree to mothball them - but that’s irrelevant as it was a different time.

The funny thing is we were worried about Boris Yeltsin!

Thinking about it further, a Double Boris might have been a dream team.

The biggest issue with use of nuclear weapons is what proportion of those charged with using them would not carry out the order. Most people realise the implications.

At the moment the greatest threat is that Russia might launch a conventional weapon attack on a NATO member. How would (and should) NATO then respond. The point of NATO is that the members stand together. However, what action can NATO take that would not end in a potential catastrophe? Would a clinical strike to remove Putin then be reasonable and possible?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:38 - Apr 27 with 2519 viewsChurchman

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:25 - Apr 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Also don’t forget they were allied to the Nazis and carved up Poland with them. Just a case of one murderous dictator double crossing another. They even supplied them with raw materials at a time Britain was at war with Germany.

Hopefully even if Putin wanted to press the button his generals would intervene.

Trained the Luftwaffe too. Oh yes, Stalin and Adolf had no problem with the non-aggression pact and they adhered to their agreement to carve up Poland. Stalin would have attacked the jerries eventually, but not for a long time.

I hope if Putin decided to give it a go his generals would stop him, but I’m not sure they can or dare. I tend to believe the only way is to prey on his cowardice and fear. He doesn’t want to die. It’s about the only leverage the west might have against that creature.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:42 - Apr 27 with 2504 viewsfactual_blue

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:25 - Apr 27 by nodge_blue

I'm sure I read that 1 percent of the world's nuclear weapons would destroy the planet through fallout and a nuclear winter.

Whilst Russia has these hypersonic missiles, the UK has missiles on submarines. So even a preemptive strike by Russia would still be met by attack from the submarines.

So it would still be mutual destruction.

I think he's just sabre rattling. But if Russia ended up losing the conflict I think he could do something unpredictable. But would you nuke a country that has nukes or a country that doesn't?

We will all go together when we go
All suffused with an incandescent glow
No one will have the endurance
To collect on their insurance
Lloyds of London will be loaded when they go.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:48 - Apr 27 with 2456 viewsChurchman

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:31 - Apr 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

The biggest issue with use of nuclear weapons is what proportion of those charged with using them would not carry out the order. Most people realise the implications.

At the moment the greatest threat is that Russia might launch a conventional weapon attack on a NATO member. How would (and should) NATO then respond. The point of NATO is that the members stand together. However, what action can NATO take that would not end in a potential catastrophe? Would a clinical strike to remove Putin then be reasonable and possible?

No, he’d probably survive a clinical strike. I don’t think it works that way. Putin has to understand that if he starts it, it’s over. End of. It’s what mutually assured destruction is. With the knowledge of that, he stops the threat.

Putin is either sabre rattling (my view) or thinks the west won’t respond. How exactly will he destroy the U.K.? He has 1000s of options, all with a game ended cost to him and of course the world. It’s why I believe the noise is just sabre rattling. He just has to be made to believe it.
Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 21:50 - Apr 27 with 2417 viewsElderGrizzly

Should we take the Russians threats seriously on 19:48 - Apr 27 by Bobsthename

cheers.

Indeed. Our Season Tickets for next season look less good value
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024