Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Van Dijk 12:53 - Apr 28 with 2948 viewsRobTheMonk

Best premier league centre back ever? If not, who would be your choice?

VVD is probably the best CB in world football at the moment as well.
Van Dijk on 13:00 - Apr 28 with 2049 viewsBloomBlue

Tony Adams
Van Dijk on 13:05 - Apr 28 with 2036 viewsclive_baker

Hard one really when you're comparing players across era's and when their careers aren't yet finished. Ultimately there are a lot where you can't really choose between them at that level, there has to be 10-20 you could make a case for. I don't like the bloke buy John Terry was a phenomenal defender, and did it year after year so at this stage has longevity in his favour. The only thing against VVD is he was 25 by the time he joined a top side. Terry was a regular at Chelsea by his early 20's and captaining them to the PL title while VVD was at Southampton at the same age. He's definitely made up for lost time though, and if he's won a few more trophies and titles in 5 years time then he would be hard to argue against. Quality player.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Van Dijk on 13:09 - Apr 28 with 2016 viewsRobTheMonk

Van Dijk on 13:05 - Apr 28 by clive_baker

Hard one really when you're comparing players across era's and when their careers aren't yet finished. Ultimately there are a lot where you can't really choose between them at that level, there has to be 10-20 you could make a case for. I don't like the bloke buy John Terry was a phenomenal defender, and did it year after year so at this stage has longevity in his favour. The only thing against VVD is he was 25 by the time he joined a top side. Terry was a regular at Chelsea by his early 20's and captaining them to the PL title while VVD was at Southampton at the same age. He's definitely made up for lost time though, and if he's won a few more trophies and titles in 5 years time then he would be hard to argue against. Quality player.

Agree with regards to John Terry. He was a staple of that Chelsea team. I think VVD makes defending look easy; he's also the main organiser of the back line for Liverpool.

Ledley King is one that's always mentioned by pros as being unbelievably good, but sadly wrecked by injuries.

As you say, there's a case for many and it will down to personal preference.
Van Dijk on 13:50 - Apr 28 with 1933 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

IMO he is the best. Makes everything look easy. Walks in to every team in Prem History easily.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Van Dijk on 13:51 - Apr 28 with 1925 viewsBonneNIL

John Wark

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Van Dijk on 13:58 - Apr 28 with 1915 viewsBrianTablet

Winston Bogarde

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Eddie Youds on 14:03 - Apr 28 with 1902 viewswaveneyblue

Van Dijk on 13:00 - Apr 28 by BloomBlue

Tony Adams

Watching "live" at Portman Road - I would say Tony Adams - Effortless and total domination of whatever was in front of him.

Vincent Kompany is up there

But absolute best - Eddie Youds
Van Dijk on 14:06 - Apr 28 with 1893 viewschicoazul

He’s only won the league once and it was an asterisk. Not in Rio Vidic Campbell or sadly Terry league.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Eddie Youds on 14:24 - Apr 28 with 1842 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Eddie Youds on 14:03 - Apr 28 by waveneyblue

Watching "live" at Portman Road - I would say Tony Adams - Effortless and total domination of whatever was in front of him.

Vincent Kompany is up there

But absolute best - Eddie Youds

Kompany was phenomenal. I'd also add in Jaap Stam at his best.

And a throwback to the first Premier League season PFA Players Player of the Year: Paul McGrath. Absolutely incredible. And he, allegedly, did it pssed.

Des Walker had some sublime seasons, as well.

But Virgil Van Dijk is probably better than all of them, because he is a World Class Central Defender who is perfectly capable of playing in just about any outfield position on the pitch to international standard.
Van Dijk on 14:44 - Apr 28 with 1809 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Van Dijk on 14:06 - Apr 28 by chicoazul

He’s only won the league once and it was an asterisk. Not in Rio Vidic Campbell or sadly Terry league.

On accomplishments, nowhere near. On ability. I'm not sure what those players do better than VVD

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Van Dijk on 14:54 - Apr 28 with 1790 viewsBlueStreak

Absolutely not. He isn't even in the top 5! One PL title...... nope

1 - Terry
2 - Vidic
3 - RIo
4 - Adams
5 - Campbell
6 - Kompany

Horrific statement
Van Dijk on 14:59 - Apr 28 with 1778 viewsN2_Blue

I'd say Vidic has to be up there if we are talking about defending and defending alone.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Van Dijk on 14:59 - Apr 28 with 1776 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Van Dijk on 14:54 - Apr 28 by BlueStreak

Absolutely not. He isn't even in the top 5! One PL title...... nope

1 - Terry
2 - Vidic
3 - RIo
4 - Adams
5 - Campbell
6 - Kompany

Horrific statement

I ask the same question to you as I did to the person above.

Those players have won more. But are they better footballers than Van Dijk ? What do they do better than him ?

Kompany himself said that VVD was the best prem defender of all time.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 15:01]

Van Dijk on 15:03 - Apr 28 with 1755 viewsBlueStreak

Van Dijk on 14:59 - Apr 28 by TRUE_BLUE123

I ask the same question to you as I did to the person above.

Those players have won more. But are they better footballers than Van Dijk ? What do they do better than him ?

Kompany himself said that VVD was the best prem defender of all time.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 15:01]

Rio is twice the player VVD is for starters
Van Dijk on 15:07 - Apr 28 with 1747 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Van Dijk on 15:03 - Apr 28 by BlueStreak

That's hyperbole if ever i have heard it. VVD just as quick or very similar, but stronger. Better in the air. Ferdinand was amazing. But if i could pick him or VVD for a one of game. VVD any day.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 15:07]

Van Dijk on 15:12 - Apr 28 with 1720 viewsBlueStreak

Van Dijk on 15:07 - Apr 28 by TRUE_BLUE123

That's hyperbole if ever i have heard it. VVD just as quick or very similar, but stronger. Better in the air. Ferdinand was amazing. But if i could pick him or VVD for a one of game. VVD any day.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 15:07]

Not in a million years. sorry but you are too engrossed with the modern game. Rio was an absolute baller

6 x PL over ten years

How about VVD gets to two and then have a discussion. I will give you a clue, rio and Vidic will still be ahead of him.

Finally, Rio is hardly going to say he would pick him ahead of someone else is he?
Van Dijk on 15:21 - Apr 28 with 1712 viewsOwainG1992

He's the best I've seen.
Leader, defender, good on the ball.
He's tremendous.
Vidic and Ferdinand best of the rest for me.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Van Dijk on 15:27 - Apr 28 with 1702 viewsmylittletown

Van Dijk on 15:12 - Apr 28 by BlueStreak

Not in a million years. sorry but you are too engrossed with the modern game. Rio was an absolute baller

6 x PL over ten years

How about VVD gets to two and then have a discussion. I will give you a clue, rio and Vidic will still be ahead of him.

Finally, Rio is hardly going to say he would pick him ahead of someone else is he?

All this stuff about how many titles etc is just nonsense. On that basis, Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker weren't very good, and Alan Smith was as good as Shearer and better than Lineker.
Kevin Beattie would have been really rubbish, as would Mariner.

Terry was a very good Premiership defender, but Champions League and international sides used to target him, because he was easy to pull out of position, and was slow on the turn. cf England Germany in the 2010 World Cup where, Thomas Muller and the Germans made him look a clown, and the Barcelona Champions League semi-final in 2012, when he was out of his depth and got sent off.

VVD is a different class than Terry, as was Ferdinand.
Van Dijk on 15:31 - Apr 28 with 1690 viewsBlueStreak

Van Dijk on 15:27 - Apr 28 by mylittletown

All this stuff about how many titles etc is just nonsense. On that basis, Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker weren't very good, and Alan Smith was as good as Shearer and better than Lineker.
Kevin Beattie would have been really rubbish, as would Mariner.

Terry was a very good Premiership defender, but Champions League and international sides used to target him, because he was easy to pull out of position, and was slow on the turn. cf England Germany in the 2010 World Cup where, Thomas Muller and the Germans made him look a clown, and the Barcelona Champions League semi-final in 2012, when he was out of his depth and got sent off.

VVD is a different class than Terry, as was Ferdinand.

How is it nonsense? Do you think you can be a winner of league that many times by being average? Fashionable yes but he still isn't in the top 5.

He has won the league once ffs, have a day off.
Van Dijk on 15:54 - Apr 28 with 1669 viewsrickw

Van Dijk on 14:06 - Apr 28 by chicoazul

But that logic Mickael Silvestre was 5 times the defender that Van Dijk is....

I think Stam is a good shout, although he only played 2 full seasons in the PL.
I would go for:
1. Stam
2. Van Dijk
3. Terry
4. Kompany
5. Vidic

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Van Dijk on 15:59 - Apr 28 with 1656 viewsstopmoaning

Van Dijk on 15:03 - Apr 28 by BlueStreak

Haha, that’s funny. He isn’t even half the player.
Van Dijk on 16:03 - Apr 28 with 1643 viewsgordon

Van Dijk, Kompany and Ferdinand are the three outstanding all-round centre-backs for me - certainly Terry, Vidic, Campbell and Stam were great defenders, but didn't have the composure on the ball of those three.
Van Dijk on 16:23 - Apr 28 with 1610 viewsOldFart71

Alan Hansen.
Van Dijk on 16:25 - Apr 28 with 1605 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Van Dijk on 15:12 - Apr 28 by BlueStreak

6 x PL over ten years

What point are you making though. This is about a individual ability. Everything Rio could do VVD can do. Most things he does better.

Using your argument, Shearer and Kane can’t be considered as two of the best of all time. As they haven’t won a lot of Trophies
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 16:28]

Van Dijk on 16:50 - Apr 28 with 1568 viewsBlueStreak

Van Dijk on 16:25 - Apr 28 by TRUE_BLUE123

What point are you making though. This is about a individual ability. Everything Rio could do VVD can do. Most things he does better.

Using your argument, Shearer and Kane can’t be considered as two of the best of all time. As they haven’t won a lot of Trophies
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 16:28]

I am talking sustained greatness over a number of years
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024