Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? 11:33 - May 1 with 4506 viewsIllinoisblue

Father dies
Sacked by Ipswich
Returns to management in non-league, struggling to make playoffs after terrible run of form (losing at Bromley yesterday in front of 1000 fans)
Sees his mate and former assistant win L1 title.

That’s a heck of a run for anybody to deal with.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 11:40 - May 1 with 3678 viewsNthQldITFC

No, and I feel really bad for him, because I think he's a really nice bloke. Doubt he reads this, but on the off chance I really hope that next year is ten times better for you Cookie.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 11:41 - May 1 with 3670 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The thing is, he seems like a really nice guy, but it looks like his career might be done. He must rue the day that he came here but couldn't persuade Richardson to come with him.

Could have been all so different if he did, and he'd still be one of the most sought after managers at this level.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 11:42 - May 1 with 3650 viewsfooters

I've been an Ipswich Town fan for quite some time.

Does that count?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 11:45 - May 1 with 3605 viewsKeno

could be worse

he could live in Lowestoft

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 11:52 - May 1 with 3567 viewsfooters

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 11:45 - May 1 by Keno

could be worse

he could live in Lowestoft

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:00 - May 1 with 3515 viewsJ2BLUE

Maybe we should leave his personal life out of it.

In terms of football it hasn't gone well. Maybe the Town job at that time was too big for him with the expectations, big budget and making the mistake to be the demolition man.

He's then jumped into a job at a level too low for him that probably wasn't a great fit and it's continued to get worse.

I don't think he's done. A league one club with less expectation and a tighter budget will suit him. Really hoping he gets Chesterfield up. He's a good guy and doesn't deserve to lose everything based on a few bad choices.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:01 - May 1 with 3498 viewsurbanblue

I watched the interview he did after yesterday's loss. He said he wasn't going to throw the players under the bus and then did just that. Very familiar eh

... he appears totally distraught.
Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:11 - May 1 with 3406 viewsfooters

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:00 - May 1 by J2BLUE

Maybe we should leave his personal life out of it.

In terms of football it hasn't gone well. Maybe the Town job at that time was too big for him with the expectations, big budget and making the mistake to be the demolition man.

He's then jumped into a job at a level too low for him that probably wasn't a great fit and it's continued to get worse.

I don't think he's done. A league one club with less expectation and a tighter budget will suit him. Really hoping he gets Chesterfield up. He's a good guy and doesn't deserve to lose everything based on a few bad choices.

Well said, eggers. Very dignified.

He always came across as a nice bloke. Wish him all the best but good grief has he had a hard time of it recently. Hope things can pick up for him sharpish.

I'm not entirely unconvinced that coming to Ipswich is simply a sort of curse for players and managers.

Login to get fewer ads

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:16 - May 1 with 3380 viewsChateauWines

What a totally unpleasant and heartless post. As Town fans we should show a little more class

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:21 - May 1 with 3354 viewspatrickswell

Throw in the fact that a rookie replacement at Ipswich got more points out of his squad than he managed to.
Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:50 - May 1 with 3195 viewsIllinoisblue

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:16 - May 1 by ChateauWines

What a totally unpleasant and heartless post. As Town fans we should show a little more class

Interesting that’s how you interpreted it. Wasn’t a dig at all. I’ve said many times on here I wish Cook well. He’s a decent bloke who’s had a rough year.

62 - 78 - 81

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:51 - May 1 with 3170 viewsIllinoisblue

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:01 - May 1 by urbanblue

I watched the interview he did after yesterday's loss. He said he wasn't going to throw the players under the bus and then did just that. Very familiar eh

... he appears totally distraught.

I read his comments about giving away soft goals and man the flashbacks…

62 - 78 - 81

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:58 - May 1 with 3124 viewsFixed_It

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:50 - May 1 by Illinoisblue

Interesting that’s how you interpreted it. Wasn’t a dig at all. I’ve said many times on here I wish Cook well. He’s a decent bloke who’s had a rough year.

Yeah - I didn't interpret as a heartless post at all. Cook was a decent bloke, and losing his Dad would have been devastating - yet he always gave his all for us. I wish him well.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:03 - May 1 with 3086 viewsJ2BLUE

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:50 - May 1 by Illinoisblue

Wasn't implying it was deliberately nasty, just a bit unnecessary to mention it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:28 - May 1 with 2974 viewsIllinoisblue

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:03 - May 1 by J2BLUE

Wasn't implying it was deliberately nasty, just a bit unnecessary to mention it.

But in the context of ‘having a really bad year’ it does seem important to at least acknowledge it. I genuinely hope he wins the playoffs with Chesterfield.

62 - 78 - 81

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:31 - May 1 with 2948 viewsNthQldITFC

I don't get why the OP is getting downvotes - it struck me as a sympathetic observation rather than anything else.

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:33 - May 1 with 2933 viewsNthQldITFC

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:11 - May 1 by footers

Well said, eggers. Very dignified.

He always came across as a nice bloke. Wish him all the best but good grief has he had a hard time of it recently. Hope things can pick up for him sharpish.

I'm not entirely unconvinced that coming to Ipswich is simply a sort of curse for players and managers.

'Was' not 'is'!

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:36 - May 1 with 2922 viewsRyorry

Perhaps you don't appreiate how your headline (without opening the post) reads on the forum front page at first glance, ie -

"Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? 11:33 - May 1 with 819 views Illinoisblue

Father dies".

It's the first thing you mention - and in a year when many have lost loved ones as a result of the pandemic on top of all the more usual causes.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:37 - May 1 with 2864 viewsFrimleyBlue

Talking of footballing reasons only. If I were PC I'd be pushing so hard to succeed next season. His legacy as a successful league 1/2 manager imo has been highlighted as achieved due to someone else.

His chesterfield reign has been bizarre, 2 points off top. Now 7th, in a league where he's been able to continue to sign players if he wanted to.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 13:39 - May 1 with 2905 viewsSharkey

Despite their crap form, Chesterfield could stll land up playing in the National League play-off final, quite possibly against Stockport, who looked to be cantering to the title a few weeks ago. Whoever the final is between, it's going to be at West Ham's ground. So Mr Cook's torrid year could still finish wih a very very big day out.
Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 14:26 - May 1 with 2750 viewsibbleobble

Context is key for his time at Chesterfield. They only had 4 starting yesterday who started the first game of the season such is their injury list. They had an injury crisis when he went there and it’s been the same since. It’s pretty much a make shift back four, patched up midfield and weakened forward line.

He might well miss out on play-offs now but that’s why.
Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 14:40 - May 1 with 2689 viewsmutters

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 12:16 - May 1 by ChateauWines

That's not what I took from the original post. I read it as he's had a heck of a bad year, enough to break most people.

Guess that the joy of 'textual conversations', the nuances are often lost

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 14:42 - May 1 with 2635 viewsFrimleyBlue

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 14:26 - May 1 by ibbleobble

Context is key for his time at Chesterfield. They only had 4 starting yesterday who started the first game of the season such is their injury list. They had an injury crisis when he went there and it’s been the same since. It’s pretty much a make shift back four, patched up midfield and weakened forward line.

He might well miss out on play-offs now but that’s why.

Whilst true. You'd perhaps during that sort of injury problem, you'd drop deeper set your side up to try and not lose rather than carry on playing the same open gung ho way.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 14:45 - May 1 with 2663 viewsChurchman

My sympathy goes towards him for the loss of his dad. Losing a parent is hard.

From the football perspective, he’s a good manager with a great track record, bar the few months with us. I’m still surprised he got it so badly wrong here. He couldn’t have had a better opportunity. Despite the hard work, it was a case of poor decisions, poor fit for the club as far as I’m concerned.

It’s history now and I wish him well.
Have you yourself ever had a year as bad as Paul Cook? on 18:14 - May 1 with 2295 viewsWicklowBlue

Reading this thread, makes it seem like ChateauWines is J2's alter ego...

I didn't take the OP as distatesful more cognisant of the thought year PC has had. Wish him all the best and that he goes on to be successful once not against ourselves.

Being a Manager must be a 247 role with zero job security, can have real success over a season or two and then confined to the bin within a few months.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024