Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned 06:46 - May 3 with 2899 viewsElderGrizzly

Removing all federal protection for abortion and contraceptive rights in the USA.

Making it a State-led decision so can be politicised by the Republicans in the South in particular.

What a fecked up country the USA has become

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 07:58 - May 3 with 2037 viewsGuthrum

That has always been the inherent weakness of a politicised judiciary in a time of polarised opinions.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 08:22 - May 3 with 1998 viewsmylittletown

If true, it won't be long before abortion in the USA is run by organised crime then. CF prohibition
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 08:59 - May 3 with 1954 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It's rather horrifying isn't it?

USA is headed back to the stone age isn't it.

This what happens when politics is governed overwhelmingly by religious conviction
[Post edited 3 May 2022 9:00]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 09:22 - May 3 with 1909 viewsElderGrizzly

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 08:59 - May 3 by BlueandTruesince82

It's rather horrifying isn't it?

USA is headed back to the stone age isn't it.

This what happens when politics is governed overwhelmingly by religious conviction
[Post edited 3 May 2022 9:00]

The sad thing is, the constitution prohibits interference of religion in the decision making of the court.

They’ll of course spin this some other way, but it is horrific.

The self-proclaimed ‘free country’, giving its citizens fewer rights than those countries they purport to liberate.
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 09:35 - May 3 with 1882 viewsDarth_Koont

That’s awful.

Apart from the clear danger to women’s rights, the social problems created by unwanted (and unsuitable) pregnancies are enormous. A large part of the drop in US crime figures in recent years was attributable to Roe vs Wade.

Pronouns: He/Him

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 09:50 - May 3 with 1845 viewsMookamoo

Been on the cards for a while now and underlines the real reason for Trump.

You can only hope this has been leaked by the lobbyists in order to galvanise support to keep it in place.
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 10:17 - May 3 with 1817 viewsElderGrizzly

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 09:50 - May 3 by Mookamoo

Been on the cards for a while now and underlines the real reason for Trump.

You can only hope this has been leaked by the lobbyists in order to galvanise support to keep it in place.

Indeed, I said for years Trump was the perfect Trojan Horse for the GOP.

And the perfect distraction from the more sinister things that were going on under the radar.

As others have said, someone has leaked this with the intention that hopefully moves can be made to block the ruling or at least legislate around it.

If it did come in, 26 states already have silent/dormant legislation that would kick-in overnight to severely limit abortion or contraceptive rights
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 10:24 - May 3 with 1796 viewsJ2BLUE

I used to fall for the American Dream stuff. The last few years have been such an eye opener.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 10:53 - May 3 with 1759 viewsVic

I haven;t followed this story; would this prohibit all abortions, regardless of the situation of the mother or unborn child?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:01 - May 3 with 1737 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Grim.

America is becoming a dark and troubled place. The Democrats may get a beating in the mid terms and we are one step closer to having Trump back in 2024 which will be catastrophic for issues such as this and those who fought so hard to make life fairer.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:22 - May 3 with 1698 viewsElderGrizzly

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 10:53 - May 3 by Vic

I haven;t followed this story; would this prohibit all abortions, regardless of the situation of the mother or unborn child?

Depends on the state.

Some it will ban literally all abortions. Even if as a result of rape.

It basically allows the rich to continue to find ways around it and penalise the poor who have no other way but to find backroom abortion clinics which will of course be catastrophic for the woman's health.
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:32 - May 3 with 1684 viewswkj

Having spent a third of my life in the midwest, it is no joke when I say a lot of people believe that god will carry them through family planning. No matter how sh*tty this gets for someone the belief turns into it being gods plan. If it gets worse than that the extremes of meth addiction and other social disorder then turns into a jesus tattoo while the wheels fall off the card and go rolling down the hill. This happened to more people than I care to admit when I was in an isolated little backwater - and all because contraception is afront to god.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:35 - May 3 with 1671 viewsMookamoo

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 10:17 - May 3 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed, I said for years Trump was the perfect Trojan Horse for the GOP.

And the perfect distraction from the more sinister things that were going on under the radar.

As others have said, someone has leaked this with the intention that hopefully moves can be made to block the ruling or at least legislate around it.

If it did come in, 26 states already have silent/dormant legislation that would kick-in overnight to severely limit abortion or contraceptive rights

Might come back and bite them. If there is no longer an overarching federal law that controls women's reproductive rights and it becomes a state legislation issue, it will become a campaign issue for those seeking re-election.

If enough of the young progressives come out and vote in 2024 the Democrats could hold Georgia and even take Texas and Florida.

What am I saying, they are up against the rich Christian right.
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:37 - May 3 with 1669 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's completely screwed up. My favourite contradiction was the Texan state representative who was so 'pro life' he was proposing the death sentence for any woman who sought an abortion! Even in the cases of rape. I'm not sure how far that proposal got, but where do you go with that kind of mindset?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:40 - May 3 with 1653 viewsitfcjoe

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:32 - May 3 by wkj

Having spent a third of my life in the midwest, it is no joke when I say a lot of people believe that god will carry them through family planning. No matter how sh*tty this gets for someone the belief turns into it being gods plan. If it gets worse than that the extremes of meth addiction and other social disorder then turns into a jesus tattoo while the wheels fall off the card and go rolling down the hill. This happened to more people than I care to admit when I was in an isolated little backwater - and all because contraception is afront to god.

How did you end up somewhere like that, if you don't mind me asking.

Sounds tragic though, and so many parts of America seem to be less well off than a developing world country - but then they get blamed for not working hard enough or some other such American Dream rubbish

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:45 - May 3 with 1641 viewswkj

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:40 - May 3 by itfcjoe

How did you end up somewhere like that, if you don't mind me asking.

Sounds tragic though, and so many parts of America seem to be less well off than a developing world country - but then they get blamed for not working hard enough or some other such American Dream rubbish

Career and family - I had a very well paid logistics job for a giant company, and because my job required a lot of travelling we were based in the middle of the country whilst we got rebrand/refit/new facilities set up.

I could tell a lot of stories about that place that really highlights the wedge between the middle and lower classes. The United States of America is as good as 2 countries in one from my experience.

Crybaby

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:59 - May 3 with 1599 viewsitfcjoe

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:45 - May 3 by wkj

Career and family - I had a very well paid logistics job for a giant company, and because my job required a lot of travelling we were based in the middle of the country whilst we got rebrand/refit/new facilities set up.

I could tell a lot of stories about that place that really highlights the wedge between the middle and lower classes. The United States of America is as good as 2 countries in one from my experience.

When you things like Making a Murderer as an example, even before you look at dramas etc, it's crazy that these sort of communities exist, with sherrifs, and county officers just treating them like a banana republic equivalent, where there is no way out even to the next village/town an hour down the road.

Following the NFL, and you see some of the situations people have gotten themselves out of to make it there is incredible

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:17 - May 3 with 1560 viewswkj

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:59 - May 3 by itfcjoe

When you things like Making a Murderer as an example, even before you look at dramas etc, it's crazy that these sort of communities exist, with sherrifs, and county officers just treating them like a banana republic equivalent, where there is no way out even to the next village/town an hour down the road.

Following the NFL, and you see some of the situations people have gotten themselves out of to make it there is incredible

Sheriffs are elected officials, so when law enforcement is based on a partisan vote you can start to see why 'law and order' starts to become shaped by the political sway of the county.

For some time I lived in a little township called Belle Plaine, mainly because it was close to the turnpike and cheap as cheap can be to live. I went to the bar most weekends as there was nothing else to do at all, and got close with a woman who seemed somewhat open-minded vs the curve. Anyway, about three weeks after meeting her, the conversation comes up about 'the next step' and she leads with 'I am ready to be a mother, so we should get to working on that'. Needless to say, when I laughed (assuming and hoping she was joking) it started a whole drama in the town that I was against the will of god and I should be sent back to where I came (despite being a dual national).

Once you f*** up on the social side of life in a small conservative township like that, you're done. Honestly, I was treated like I had been outed as a nonce - it was crazy. Fortunately, I left that township about one month later and west across the state to Pratt, then Dodge City. When in Dodge, it was a larger scale of Belle Plaine but with a HUGE meth production/consumption problem (predominantly influencing the white community). I got friendly with the large Hispanic community there as they like proper football and cook much better food. Even though they are heavily catholic they tend to be less intense with imposing it on others. I learned Spanish and quite honestly never mingled with the American community again.

The following link gives you a good idea of the township I was in - patch of dusty grass that looks like a shanty town in parts.

https://street360.net/usa/kansas/belle-plaine_sumner-county.php
[Post edited 3 May 2022 12:22]

Crybaby

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:20 - May 3 with 1549 viewsRyorry

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 11:37 - May 3 by Swansea_Blue

It's completely screwed up. My favourite contradiction was the Texan state representative who was so 'pro life' he was proposing the death sentence for any woman who sought an abortion! Even in the cases of rape. I'm not sure how far that proposal got, but where do you go with that kind of mindset?

Has always really got me that "pro-life" people are only pro-life until the babies are sufficiently grown up to have independent opinions of their own.

You may be too young to remember (?) but many years ago, pro-lifers did actually attempt to gun down people outside abortion clinics (I can't recall if their targets were patients of the clinics or protesters).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:24 - May 3 with 1536 viewsRyorry

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:17 - May 3 by wkj

Sheriffs are elected officials, so when law enforcement is based on a partisan vote you can start to see why 'law and order' starts to become shaped by the political sway of the county.

For some time I lived in a little township called Belle Plaine, mainly because it was close to the turnpike and cheap as cheap can be to live. I went to the bar most weekends as there was nothing else to do at all, and got close with a woman who seemed somewhat open-minded vs the curve. Anyway, about three weeks after meeting her, the conversation comes up about 'the next step' and she leads with 'I am ready to be a mother, so we should get to working on that'. Needless to say, when I laughed (assuming and hoping she was joking) it started a whole drama in the town that I was against the will of god and I should be sent back to where I came (despite being a dual national).

Once you f*** up on the social side of life in a small conservative township like that, you're done. Honestly, I was treated like I had been outed as a nonce - it was crazy. Fortunately, I left that township about one month later and west across the state to Pratt, then Dodge City. When in Dodge, it was a larger scale of Belle Plaine but with a HUGE meth production/consumption problem (predominantly influencing the white community). I got friendly with the large Hispanic community there as they like proper football and cook much better food. Even though they are heavily catholic they tend to be less intense with imposing it on others. I learned Spanish and quite honestly never mingled with the American community again.

The following link gives you a good idea of the township I was in - patch of dusty grass that looks like a shanty town in parts.

You were the Wichita Linesman weren't you :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:26 - May 3 with 1531 viewswkj

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:24 - May 3 by Ryorry

You were the Wichita Linesman weren't you :)

I would have been if they had proper football there.

Crybaby

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:37 - May 3 with 1503 viewsJ2BLUE

Looks like Wayward Pines.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:59 - May 3 with 1453 viewsitfcjoe

Crazy story, and must have been a bit of a living nightmare even when just doing something nearly anyone here would say is normal

The bible belt has always seemed the most mental of places having grown up in what is now basically a secular country - even though I had to attend chapel at school every week, was married in a church etc there is very little thought to any religion in mine or my families life.

I assume it is just the churches influence over these towns, and subsequently the schooling that makes these areas so God fearing - but what a power play, anything that happens is down to "god's plan" and he can do no wrong. But then they hold up people like Trump who hardly live a good clean Christian life and then turn them into false idols.

I think you underplay the US when you say 2 countries in 1, it must be more like 6 or 7, but then I guess it is a country the size of a continent

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 13:15 - May 3 with 1415 viewsElderGrizzly

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:20 - May 3 by Ryorry

Has always really got me that "pro-life" people are only pro-life until the babies are sufficiently grown up to have independent opinions of their own.

You may be too young to remember (?) but many years ago, pro-lifers did actually attempt to gun down people outside abortion clinics (I can't recall if their targets were patients of the clinics or protesters).

The pro-life GOP are of course also pro-death penalty.
Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 13:20 - May 3 with 1399 viewsElderGrizzly

Roe vs Wade looks like it could be over-turned on 12:59 - May 3 by itfcjoe

Crazy story, and must have been a bit of a living nightmare even when just doing something nearly anyone here would say is normal

The bible belt has always seemed the most mental of places having grown up in what is now basically a secular country - even though I had to attend chapel at school every week, was married in a church etc there is very little thought to any religion in mine or my families life.

I assume it is just the churches influence over these towns, and subsequently the schooling that makes these areas so God fearing - but what a power play, anything that happens is down to "god's plan" and he can do no wrong. But then they hold up people like Trump who hardly live a good clean Christian life and then turn them into false idols.

I think you underplay the US when you say 2 countries in 1, it must be more like 6 or 7, but then I guess it is a country the size of a continent

"But then they hold up people like Trump who hardly live a good clean Christian life and then turn them into false idols"

They knew what Trump was and despised it. They turned a blind eye, because he was capable of delivering the Supreme Court and other legislature to deliver changes like this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024