Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Türkiye - tipping 17:25 - May 3 with 2367 viewsZx1988

Well-travelled TWTD folks:

The present Mrs Zx and I have booked an all-inclusive trip to Türkiye next month. The usual percentage-based tipping conventions probably won't apply, given the board basis, so do any of you who have been recently have any thoughts on tipping convention with regards to how much and when/how frequently?

Given how significantly the Lira appears to have tanked in the last 6-12 months, I'm loath to rely too much on older articles found online, which may be based on a more buoyant Lira than at present.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Türkiye - tipping on 17:27 - May 3 with 1982 viewsfooters

It's the haggling, not the tipping you want to watch out for.

I can't abide it. Turns a 30-second transaction into a ten-minute one. And very undignified.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Türkiye - tipping on 17:37 - May 3 with 1942 viewsKeno

Avoid the beck at all cost

Try an get an arm over the body and grab its legs, then pull the legs away from you so it’s body falls toward you. Use the other hand ti balance cushion the birds fall

There you have tipped your turkey

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Türkiye - tipping on 17:47 - May 3 with 1918 viewsMattinLondon

Türkiye - tipping on 17:27 - May 3 by footers

I can't abide it. Turns a 30-second transaction into a ten-minute one. And very undignified.

Haggling really pisses me off. Tell me the price, if it’s too expensive then I won’t buy it, if it’s a fair price then I will. It’s on par with a toddler or small child trying to negotiate a deal - just a waste of time. And it just encourages people to act like a bell end.

Also, tipping annoys me. I remember being in America and the waitress made a point of saying that in America we are expected to tip. Just pay the staff properly and get rid of it - and over here it seems to be getting more like that in the sense that tipping jars seem to be every where. I always add on a couple of pounds to the hairdressers and round up for taxis but just for making a hot chocolate, f**k off.

Rant over.
Türkiye - tipping on 17:47 - May 3 with 1921 viewsFixed_It

Türkiye - tipping on 17:37 - May 3 by Keno

Avoid the beck at all cost

Try an get an arm over the body and grab its legs, then pull the legs away from you so it’s body falls toward you. Use the other hand ti balance cushion the birds fall

There you have tipped your turkey

I'm surprised you can remember your sex life so vividly...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Türkiye - tipping on 17:48 - May 3 with 1910 viewsKeno

Türkiye - tipping on 17:47 - May 3 by Fixed_It

Türkiye - tipping on 17:56 - May 3 with 1886 viewsfooters

Türkiye - tipping on 17:47 - May 3 by MattinLondon

Haggling really pisses me off. Tell me the price, if it’s too expensive then I won’t buy it, if it’s a fair price then I will. It’s on par with a toddler or small child trying to negotiate a deal - just a waste of time. And it just encourages people to act like a bell end.

Also, tipping annoys me. I remember being in America and the waitress made a point of saying that in America we are expected to tip. Just pay the staff properly and get rid of it - and over here it seems to be getting more like that in the sense that tipping jars seem to be every where. I always add on a couple of pounds to the hairdressers and round up for taxis but just for making a hot chocolate, f**k off.

Rant over.

Suppose haggling's just a cultural thing, but I honestly would rather pay the full price and not do it. But they insist. Besides, it's only a matter of a quid or two half the time - so if you want to make yourself poorer because of it, no skin off my nose, I guess.

I'll never understand the American tipping culture. You should pay good wages to retain good employees, not expect customers who are already paying to subsidise your staff costs. How some places can pay about $2 p/h mins to staff is beyond me, it's immoral.

And like fck am I paying my barber a tip when he charges thirty quid for cutting my hair.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Türkiye - tipping on 17:58 - May 3 with 1879 viewsfactual_blue

Türkiye - tipping on 17:47 - May 3 by Fixed_It

I'm surprised Keno has revealed his penchant for poultry sex.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Türkiye - tipping on 18:07 - May 3 with 1835 viewsHARRY10

Türkiye - tipping on 17:47 - May 3 by MattinLondon

Rant over.

And it's not helped by the idiot media telling the gormless that they can haggle every where.

My nephew worked in Currys and said the amount of time thickos would ask him (the Saturday boy) if he could not be 'bit more competitive' etc

Many years back, I was at a scrap yard (when you could just help yourself) this cretin had spent some time it seemed locating and removing some part, then didn't want to pay what was asked, the bloke working there took the bit and threw it back into the cars and told him to fck off.
Login to get fewer ads

Türkiye - tipping on 18:14 - May 3 with 1830 viewsKeno

Türkiye - tipping on 17:58 - May 3 by factual_blue

that comment is just fowl

Türkiye - tipping on 18:33 - May 3 with 1801 viewsMeadowlark

In my working life I did business with Turkish comanies a bit on behalf of my employers. The negotiation and red-tape was an absolute pain. I also had to deal with tenders for Turkish government departments and they were even worse!
I recall on a business trip to Ankara once I even had to negotiate the price of my entry visa on arrival!
I do not recall ever giving anyone in Turkey a tip .
Türkiye - tipping on 18:40 - May 3 with 1787 viewsRozz

Have been to Turkey on a similar basis and don't remember tipping particularly. I tend to leave 10-15% on meals outside the hotel, and only really tipped hotel staff if they went above and beyond (generally whatever the price of a drink was). Food was mainly buffet so we didn't have too many tippable encounters tbh.
Türkiye - tipping on 19:19 - May 3 with 1725 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I love the haggling.

I once got a lovely genuine kartier watch for the equivalent of a fiver in Fehtiye and he threw in a couple of Levi Strows t-shirts.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Türkiye - tipping on 19:25 - May 3 with 1707 viewshoppy

He would've done it sooner, but chickened out.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Türkiye - tipping on 19:31 - May 3 with 1694 viewsjontysnut

When I've done all inclusive in Turkey they tended to have tip boxes at the restaurant or on the bar so you can bung in some loose change or some notes. I've left a tip for the cleaners at the end. Anything's welcome. Anywhere else I leave tips much as I do here. I don't bother haggling as there's nothing much I want unless it's a dodgy t shirt.
Türkiye - tipping on 20:42 - May 3 with 1605 viewsArnoldMoorhen

You mean he has a thing for cocks?
Türkiye - tipping on 20:51 - May 3 with 1584 viewsfactual_blue

Türkiye - tipping on 20:42 - May 3 by ArnoldMoorhen

You mean he has a thing for cocks?

No. For Moorhens.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Türkiye - tipping on 21:44 - May 3 with 1515 viewsKeno

Türkiye - tipping on 20:51 - May 3 by factual_blue

No. For Moorhens.

stop being a grouse

Türkiye - tipping on 22:07 - May 3 with 1484 viewshoppy

Türkiye - tipping on 21:44 - May 3 by Keno

stop being a grouse

You can’t duck out of it now.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Türkiye - tipping on 08:29 - May 4 with 1382 viewsChurchman

Türkiye - tipping on 17:56 - May 3 by footers

Suppose haggling's just a cultural thing, but I honestly would rather pay the full price and not do it. But they insist. Besides, it's only a matter of a quid or two half the time - so if you want to make yourself poorer because of it, no skin off my nose, I guess.

I'll never understand the American tipping culture. You should pay good wages to retain good employees, not expect customers who are already paying to subsidise your staff costs. How some places can pay about $2 p/h mins to staff is beyond me, it's immoral.

And like fck am I paying my barber a tip when he charges thirty quid for cutting my hair.

Yes, I loath haggling too. I’ve only been to Turkey once and it drove me nuts. I felt like Indiana Jones fighting off the bad guys going through a bazaar there.

As for America, one gets used to the tipping culture a bit, but I don’t like it. Add in tax and the price you see for your dozen buffalo hot wings is a long way off what you actually pay. Grrr.
Türkiye - tipping on 08:58 - May 4 with 1340 viewsPinewoodblue

Türkiye - tipping on 20:51 - May 3 by factual_blue

No. For Moorhens.

Surely you mean Coote.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Türkiye - tipping on 08:59 - May 4 with 1339 viewsJonBlue

Türkiye - tipping on 09:11 - May 4 with 1317 viewsZx1988

Türkiye - tipping on 19:31 - May 3 by jontysnut

When I've done all inclusive in Turkey they tended to have tip boxes at the restaurant or on the bar so you can bung in some loose change or some notes. I've left a tip for the cleaners at the end. Anything's welcome. Anywhere else I leave tips much as I do here. I don't bother haggling as there's nothing much I want unless it's a dodgy t shirt.

Thanks for this, jontysnut; it ties in broadly with what I'd been reading.

Did you find that there was an element of receiving better service if you were seen to have contributed to the tip box, or tipped the service staff directly, or was it more along the British lines of tipping being seen as a recognition of good service rather than a prerequisite for it?

Don't get me wrong, I abhor 'mandatory' tipping in all its forms, but if it means the difference between a good drink at the first time of asking, or waiting half an hour for some watered-down swill, I know which side I'm on!

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Türkiye - tipping on 09:13 - May 4 with 1313 viewsKeno

Türkiye - tipping on 08:58 - May 4 by Pinewoodblue

Surely you mean Coote.

no being so mean, try being more pheasant

Türkiye - tipping on 11:38 - May 5 with 1155 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

With inflation today reported at 70% it may be a good idea to eat any meals really fast and I would imagine any tips would be welcome!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Türkiye - tipping on 13:08 - May 5 with 1096 viewsSkip_Intro

give the waiters/barstaff a decent sized tip on the first night (fnar fnar) and they will look after you...always works well for me when I go all inclusive
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024