Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Insurance for young drivers 18:37 - May 3 with 2972 viewsPendejo

Youngest offspring passed her driving test at the second attempt today.

She'd failed in Ipswich on the January bank holiday Monday, serious fault on the Seven Hills Roundabout.
We were going to the it in with visiting family, who all went down with covid.

Today's test was a lot closer to home, and to get horror the test centre was close to two tricky roundabouts; one with 5 exits and the other just plain confusing as all the white lines of the spiral had been worn away, meaning it often resembles an Arc Dr Triomphe style free for all.I

Sunday and Monday we spent hours driving the test routes, found in line with satnav mapping and verbal instruction.

Anyway she passed.

I had promised to give her my car when she passed, so it's online to get quotes... Cheapest? £3,175. My first insurance was about a 3rd of the value of the car this is near 60%.

Before that she'd had to cancel her learners insurance @£700, 6 months in, paid in full and was offered a £56 refund! After complaining it became £230 they deducted an admin fee and commission.

Back in the last millennium I worked in insurance, we used to give proper pro rata refunds.r

Is it any surprise that there are so many uninsured drivers?

She also

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Car Insurance for young drivers on 18:50 - May 3 with 2943 viewsTonytown

Same here. His insurance was £1375 as a learner, rang the insurer and was quoted an extra £2770 for it for the rest of the year.

Totally mental.

His car is worth £1500 by the way
Car Insurance for young drivers on 18:58 - May 3 with 2913 viewsHARRY10

Car Insurance for young drivers on 18:50 - May 3 by Tonytown

Same here. His insurance was £1375 as a learner, rang the insurer and was quoted an extra £2770 for it for the rest of the year.

Totally mental.

His car is worth £1500 by the way

It is about what the cost of what they can do to others that is the real problem

and the thought might be that it is the number of uninsured young drivers that are pushing up the premiums

The only answer is to accept a 'black box' thing that monitors their droving, and accept some restriction on time, passengers etc

or a bicycle
Car Insurance for young drivers on 20:00 - May 3 with 2859 viewsTonytown

Car Insurance for young drivers on 18:58 - May 3 by HARRY10

It is about what the cost of what they can do to others that is the real problem

and the thought might be that it is the number of uninsured young drivers that are pushing up the premiums

The only answer is to accept a 'black box' thing that monitors their droving, and accept some restriction on time, passengers etc

or a bicycle

That is based on a maximum of 3000 miles a year by the way

No wonder so many don’t bother getting insured
Car Insurance for young drivers on 20:05 - May 3 with 2844 viewsgtsb1966

You tried money supermarket for your search. Always found them the best. Also having a black box fitted makes it cheaper.
Car Insurance for young drivers on 20:16 - May 3 with 2827 viewsStu_boy

Did you try bymiles.co.uk? Much lower basic price with a cost per mile
Car Insurance for young drivers on 21:11 - May 3 with 2753 viewsjontysnut

Car Insurance for young drivers on 20:05 - May 3 by gtsb1966

You tried money supermarket for your search. Always found them the best. Also having a black box fitted makes it cheaper.

Some black boxes are more restrictive than others, with night time curfews on top of mileage limits. My daughter is with Admiral. Second year of driving. Their box doesn't have a curfew and they asked for it back after 6 months as they had all the data they needed. Putting a parent down as another driver brought it down a bit as well. Also postcode and occupation affect premium. My son had to put down 'professional footballer' down and we were quoted £9,999 on a 15 year old Yaris.
Car Insurance for young drivers on 21:23 - May 3 with 2726 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm gonna state the obvious and go down the online comparison site route.

My only other suggestion is to add yourself to the policy, bizarrely this sometimes brings it down quite a bit.

Edit - or if you live in London then get her to use ZipCar at about £5.50 an hour including fuel and insurance!
[Post edited 3 May 2022 21:28]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Car Insurance for young drivers on 21:35 - May 3 with 2695 viewsShineyblueknives

Young driver insurance is extortionate and has been for years...

It does depend on the car,
If your letting your daughter drive around in an big powerful car worth quite a bit then you will be paying over the odds.

For a cheaper quote get your daughter something tiny like a fiat 500 or VW up.
Get yourself on the policy as a driver for occasional use but do not put the policy in your name as that can be classed as fraud.

Message me if you need more help.

I've been insurance for 20+ years

Poll: How many of the remaining games do you think town can win

Login to get fewer ads

Car Insurance for young drivers on 21:36 - May 3 with 2690 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You're giving your daughter a £5k car...you can probably afford it!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Car Insurance for young drivers on 21:37 - May 3 with 2689 viewsBent_double

My son was looking around last September when he passed his test, all quotes were £1800-£2000.

He was about to go with one of those when Hastings came up with a quote for £1200 with a black box. Don't know if it was pure luck, but they might be worth a try.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Car Insurance for young drivers on 23:48 - May 3 with 2605 viewsbadadski

Don’t put the start date as immediate - anything upto 7-10 days away will save you hundreds.
Too low a mileage can be just as damaging as too high a mileage.
Check with and without named older experienced clean drivers. If ones helps you can bet 2 will as if parents are sharing the driving then the main driver won’t be driving so much.
Car type has an effect even how long you have owned the car not that you can do much about what one . Occupation- play around with job titles as this can have an impact although ironically now student Policies can be cheaper than when you start working.

These are the top tips and yeah I was in car insurance for 16+ years - try comparisons but also try direct line with the aforementioned tips . Good luck and congratulations for the little one for passing.
Car Insurance for young drivers on 07:24 - May 4 with 2519 viewsElephantintheRoom

On the other hand the sixth form car park at Saffron Walden County High continues to have far better cars in it than the teachers car park. So rip off prices are not a problem for some.

In the far off days when we were trying to find usable insurance for the offspring it always intrigued me that adding a parent to the policy reduced the price. Insurance continues to be something of a scandal - but then people do tend to think it’s a way to avoid paying bills or a rip off opportunity rather than a necessary evil.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Car Insurance for young drivers on 07:47 - May 4 with 2486 viewsMookamoo

Ours is insured as a named driver on my insurance with my car having a black box fitted. It was by far the cheapest option.

We paid a bit more for a black box without a curfew so it's not too restrictive, but does mean I have to watch my own driving, which is no bad thing as I can be a bit of a tit.

I remember the first thing I did when I passed my test was to go into Terry Butcher's in Silent Street and get my first car insured with him.
Car Insurance for young drivers on 08:55 - May 4 with 2427 viewshype313

The problem was started in the 90's when everyone passed thier test and bought a Sierra Cosworth at 17 to then wrap it around lamposts.

Australia has the right idea, 1.0 for the first year, 1.5 the year after and then a maximum of 2.0 for the third year.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Car Insurance for young drivers on 09:31 - May 4 with 2395 viewsLord_Lucan

Car Insurance for young drivers on 07:47 - May 4 by Mookamoo

Ours is insured as a named driver on my insurance with my car having a black box fitted. It was by far the cheapest option.

We paid a bit more for a black box without a curfew so it's not too restrictive, but does mean I have to watch my own driving, which is no bad thing as I can be a bit of a tit.

I remember the first thing I did when I passed my test was to go into Terry Butcher's in Silent Street and get my first car insured with him.

I had one of those black boxes. I understand the idea and don't disagree that they can be a good thing but when I received mine I hadn't realised I had signed up for one.

For this reason I hated it as I kept thinking that the Man was tracking me, I drove for a complete year being angry.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Car Insurance for young drivers on 09:57 - May 4 with 2355 viewsMookamoo

Car Insurance for young drivers on 09:31 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

I had one of those black boxes. I understand the idea and don't disagree that they can be a good thing but when I received mine I hadn't realised I had signed up for one.

For this reason I hated it as I kept thinking that the Man was tracking me, I drove for a complete year being angry.

I do think it's a bit of ruse to get insurance liabilities like me to get a black box. I didn't mind it after a while and just drove like an old lady and was constantly late. I've started leaving stupidly early to make up for it now. We were 45 minutes early to the cinema the other day which is quite an achievement bearing in mind it's only a 20 minute drive anyway.

Also helped having a newly qualified driver with me who knew how the speed limiter button works and where it was.
Car Insurance for young drivers on 10:17 - May 4 with 2331 viewsLord_Lucan

Car Insurance for young drivers on 09:57 - May 4 by Mookamoo

I do think it's a bit of ruse to get insurance liabilities like me to get a black box. I didn't mind it after a while and just drove like an old lady and was constantly late. I've started leaving stupidly early to make up for it now. We were 45 minutes early to the cinema the other day which is quite an achievement bearing in mind it's only a 20 minute drive anyway.

Also helped having a newly qualified driver with me who knew how the speed limiter button works and where it was.

Thankfully it was in the car which is usually driven by Lady Lucan so it didn't bother me as much as it could have, although I kept getting texts when it needed charging.

On the subject of stupid driving, my mate gave me a thing that alerts you to speed cameras and also alerted you when you were speeding. I'm quite a placid driver and don't generally speed ** but the thing was constantly bleeping. At the end I got so fed up with it that I was trying to put it on mute and at the same time lost concentration and got flashed by that camera on the A140 - a camera that have driven past regularly over the past 30 years.

**(my license suggests otherwise but in my defence I tend to daydream and get done in low speed limits.

Car Insurance for young drivers on 10:23 - May 4 with 2285 viewsmikeybloo88

Not sure what car you have, but I bought a VW Up for my lads when they passed a few years ago...I know getting their own insurance is good from the POV of building no claims but it was very expensive. I insured the car in my name with them added as named drivers which started at £900 and is now after 3 years down to £350. I started with Direct Line, who do offer a small named driver bonus if they ultimately take out their own insurance with them. I found that DL remained at a high price so switched to Admiral and put all our cars on a multi car with them and they’ve been pretty cheap for a few years now. My lads realise that this solution is only kicking the can for now and one day they’ll face their own higher premiums but at least it’s got them mobile and some independence.

Edit...neither DL or Admiral require a black box which I thought was good as I sometimes use the car too.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 10:24]
Car Insurance for young drivers on 10:54 - May 4 with 2218 viewsBluJu

I read recently that the optimum start date when getting a cheaper quote, is 23 days in advance.

Is there any merit in owning and insuring (but perhaps not even using) something like a moped, in the period leading up to needing your first car policy? For accumulating NCD, I mean. They're probably hundreds or thousands to insure anyway these days, for all I know.

Good point about high prices leading to more uninsured drivers (which then drives up prices further).

My daughter has just started driving lessons. Dreading having to get all this sorted for her once she's passed.
Car Insurance for young drivers on 12:53 - May 4 with 2154 viewslongtimefan

My son went with Direct Line with the black box about 5 years ago. He paid around £800 then when most other quotes were in the region of £1500. His black box didn't directly inflict a curfew but did penalize your score if you drove late at night, However he never had a difficulty keeping his score in the "Gold" band. What we did find made quite a difference was adding myself and my wife as named drivers on his policy. This definitely dropped the price quite a bit. A colleague has also been through this very recently and also found the named driver trick still seems to work.
Car Insurance for young drivers on 16:20 - May 4 with 2065 viewscooperd5

Car Insurance for young drivers on 12:53 - May 4 by longtimefan

My son went with Direct Line with the black box about 5 years ago. He paid around £800 then when most other quotes were in the region of £1500. His black box didn't directly inflict a curfew but did penalize your score if you drove late at night, However he never had a difficulty keeping his score in the "Gold" band. What we did find made quite a difference was adding myself and my wife as named drivers on his policy. This definitely dropped the price quite a bit. A colleague has also been through this very recently and also found the named driver trick still seems to work.

My lad paid £250 for learner insurance - he has my dad's 11 plate diesel Kia Venga OAP-mobile...
When he passed, they wanted £1500 to "upgrade" so we cancelled it (no refund) and we found it for £600 with Hastings (I think) - it was cheapest on a compare the market search, others were £800 to 2000!
Car Insurance for young drivers on 16:23 - May 4 with 2061 viewswkj

Be very careful for the old 'Name her on our insurance' trick. Fronted risk (as they call it) is something they're incredibly sh*t hot on and in many cases they will use it to invalidate any claim they can, regardless of who was driving.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024