Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local elections? 09:56 - May 4 with 5502 viewsDarth_Koont

What a strange country we are that the local elections are becoming Partygate vs. Beergate and anything else that makes up the Westminster political/media bubble.

Local government on its own terms should be the focus. The only connection made to Westminster should be how local resources and services have been starved of funds over decades.

Pronouns: He/Him

Local elections? on 10:25 - May 4 with 2627 viewsLord_Lucan

I tend to agree.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Local elections? on 10:40 - May 4 with 2578 viewsKeno

although the election in Northern Ireland could be interesting

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Local elections? on 11:03 - May 4 with 2550 viewsDarth_Koont

Local elections? on 10:40 - May 4 by Keno

although the election in Northern Ireland could be interesting

Indeed.

Generally, I’m ignoring NI, Scotland and Wales from this where active regional politics already builds a stronger, more relevant connection to the concept of local politics.

Local elections? on 11:17 - May 4 with 2506 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do you think a single nationalist will be voting up here tomorrow for the best local candidate, regardless of their affiliation?

The same goes for unionists btw.

People should always vote for the best local candidate regardless of political affiliation but the media always hype local elections up as a barometer for government/opposition approval.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 11:18]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Potholes not ar5eholes. (n/t) on 11:20 - May 4 with 2500 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Erections not elections? (n/t) (n/t) on 11:24 - May 4 with 2489 viewshoppy

Potholes not ar5eholes. (n/t) on 11:20 - May 4 by Bloots

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Local elections? on 11:27 - May 4 with 2478 viewsDarth_Koont

Local elections? on 11:17 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Do you think a single nationalist will be voting up here tomorrow for the best local candidate, regardless of their affiliation?

People should always vote for the best local candidate regardless of political affiliation but the media always hype local elections up as a barometer for government/opposition approval.

See above.

There is at least a connection between the regional governments and local government. There is an almost total disconnect at Westminster – politicians and national media. That’s why they’re just stuck playing their own silly game.

Local elections? on 13:50 - May 4 with 2355 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I can never find any info as to who is standing and what their policies are in local elections. I’m sure I’m not the only one, I bet that causes a lot of people not to turn out.

Last time round I did find the local Labour candidate’s manifesto, which was (and I’m entirely serious)
- Ban heavy goods vehicles for cleaner air (we barely have any HGV’s it’s a very small town with particle limits wayyy below national average)
- More Entertainment for kids (or something similarly vague)

…I voted Lib Dem
[Post edited 4 May 2022 19:13]
Login to get fewer ads

Local elections? on 13:57 - May 4 with 2339 viewsjeera

Local elections? on 13:50 - May 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I can never find any info as to who is standing and what their policies are in local elections. I’m sure I’m not the only one, I bet that causes a lot of people not to turn out.

Last time round I did find the local Labour candidate’s manifesto, which was (and I’m entirely serious)
- Ban heavy goods vehicles for cleaner air (we barely have any HGV’s it’s a very small town with particle limits wayyy below national average)

…I voted Lib Dem

"I can never find any info as to who is standing and what there policies are in local elections. I’m sure I’m not the only one, I bet that causes a lot of people not to turn out."

Not been a word here. Not a thing.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Local elections? on 14:05 - May 4 with 2327 viewsSteve_M

Although it also seems to be about Tories trying to distance themselves from the party:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Local elections? on 14:06 - May 4 with 2320 viewsRyorry

…I voted Lib Dem

LibDems are the only ones round here who've even bothered to contact us (2 x maildrops), so I know where my vote is going - luckily he seems an excellent candidate - protesting against sewage dumping into the rivers by Yorkshire Water (incl in an AONB!) etc., as well as being the best anti-Tory tactical vote.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Local elections? on 14:06 - May 4 with 2322 viewsJDB23

Local elections? on 13:57 - May 4 by jeera

"I can never find any info as to who is standing and what there policies are in local elections. I’m sure I’m not the only one, I bet that causes a lot of people not to turn out."

Not been a word here. Not a thing.

I’ve had a few leaflets from Conservative and Labour candidates over the past few months.

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/

This site will tell you who is standing in your area and sometimes will have information on them or links to external party sites giving a bit more detail.

I have always felt that there is very little communicated with regards to local elections and the views the candidates are standing for. Having said that, I don’t consume much local media so I could be missing out there.
Local elections? on 14:21 - May 4 with 2295 viewsRyorry

Local elections? on 14:54 - May 4 with 2214 viewsDarth_Koont

Local elections? on 14:21 - May 4 by Ryorry

Makes the point better than I could.

These are national issues. And if local elections are a protest vote then that works both ways with how the similar protest vote wreaked havoc over Brexit.

Anyway, the vast majority of those national issues apply to Labour and the LibDems too. These were all issues on their watch and are being largely ignored in supposed opposition.

Local elections? on 15:54 - May 4 with 2136 viewschicoazul

Local elections? on 14:21 - May 4 by Ryorry

Acting like anything would be at all different under Labour other than some very minor tinkering round the ages and making all loos at public sector employers unisex.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Local elections? on 16:03 - May 4 with 2129 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

…I voted Lib Dem

"I can never find any info as to who is standing and what their policies are in local elections"

"Last time round I did find the local Labour candidate’s manifesto"

"I voted Lib Dem"

Why not Tory? They didn't send you a manifesto either.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Local elections? on 16:12 - May 4 with 2107 viewsBloomBlue

I want to know who is going to fix the pot holes
Local elections? on 16:18 - May 4 with 2088 viewsHighgateBlue

There are plenty of people who care more about giving Boris a bloody nose than they do about how the bins are collected. Granted, voting for a local MP has a more immediate and direct potential impact on which party forms a government, but the future of the PM who is unpopular with many is certainly capable of being affected by having a terrible local election round. Many Tories, including in the parliamentary party, are sticking by Boris solely for his supposed electoral magic. If that's gone, then so's he.
Local elections? on 16:29 - May 4 with 2078 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Local elections? on 16:03 - May 4 by You_Bloo_Right

"I can never find any info as to who is standing and what their policies are in local elections"

"Last time round I did find the local Labour candidate’s manifesto"

"I voted Lib Dem"

Why not Tory? They didn't send you a manifesto either.

Because (national issues aside) they are the incumbents who have seen the roads fall apart, police non existent, allowed building all over the greenbelt etc
Local elections? on 17:02 - May 4 with 2031 viewsRyorry

Local elections? on 16:29 - May 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Because (national issues aside) they are the incumbents who have seen the roads fall apart, police non existent, allowed building all over the greenbelt etc

Similar here. Asked them twice in 2020 and 2021 to clear blocked drain on road up hill from house. Did nothing. Storm Franklin this year, my house basement & garden are a foot deep in water (& would have been far worse if I hadn''t erected home made floodboards at top of drive & neighbour with set of rods hadn't helped parially clear drain (pipe goes under road, so needs professional work really) to stop raging torrent of water pouring down my drive).

Rang the Tory Councillor for our NYCC parish. Response? - "Oh we can't do anything, we're far too busy dealing with other emergencies".

Yeah, other emergencies that, like mine, only became emergencies because they didn't fix the roof when the sun was shining during the previous 3 years

Local elections? on 19:18 - May 4 with 1926 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Local elections? on 14:06 - May 4 by JDB23

I’ve had a few leaflets from Conservative and Labour candidates over the past few months.

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/

This site will tell you who is standing in your area and sometimes will have information on them or links to external party sites giving a bit more detail.

I have always felt that there is very little communicated with regards to local elections and the views the candidates are standing for. Having said that, I don’t consume much local media so I could be missing out there.

Thanks - had a look now I have time. There’s links to the local Lib Dem and Tory parties which at least sets out their policies.

The link for the local Labour Party is a twitter page which was last updated in 2015…
Local elections? on 19:41 - May 4 with 1888 viewsBlueForYou

No elections here in West Suffolk.
Local elections? on 21:28 - May 4 with 1815 viewsDanTheMan

Local elections? on 11:17 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Whilst I think your final point is a noble principle, the issue is that people are representing national parties at a local level. If they did not wish to be associated with those national parties they could simply run as independents.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Local elections? on 21:39 - May 4 with 1787 viewsHARRY10

Local elections? on 19:18 - May 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Thanks - had a look now I have time. There’s links to the local Lib Dem and Tory parties which at least sets out their policies.

The link for the local Labour Party is a twitter page which was last updated in 2015…

Maybe it's part of this fiendish plot, as outline by the Tories earlier, that sets out to destroy democracy by concentrating resources where they have the greatest chance of winning.
Local elections? on 08:04 - May 5 with 1641 viewsElephantintheRoom

Also curious that no politics are allowed on tele because it might influence your vote.

Turnout will be 30% and ´parties’ that win seats on local councils with 30% of of 30% will be claiming tectonic plates have shifted.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024