Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baked Beans 10:20 - May 5 with 2499 viewsChurchman

As an aside for the thread about that berk Eustace’s idiotic comments, I’ve been thinking about baked beans. I believe them to be one of the gods of food. Flexible, nourishing, tasty, conveniently packaged, satisfaction guaranteed in every glorious, perfectly formed tin. So, the big questions of the day are:

1. Do you like baked beans
2. What is your favourite brand

For me, the king of the B Bean is Branstons. 4 for £2 (Asda), these gems are less sugary than Heinz, less watery than own brands, good bean count and work better with other things.

For me, a good use is in chilli instead of kidney beans. I’m ok with the k bean if I eat chilli out, but if we are making a chilli the baked boys go better.

Oddest eating was in Malaysia where I had them several times for breakfast with curry. Curiously the combo worked, mainly because breakfast curries there were quite mild. Add in a bit of bacon and toast and it was brekkie fit for a king. The misses was unimpressed, mind….

Baked Beans on 10:23 - May 5 with 1732 viewsEwan_Oozami

Yes
Heinz

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Baked Beans on 10:27 - May 5 with 1714 viewsBlueBadger

Baked Beans on 10:23 - May 5 by Ewan_Oozami

Yes
Heinz

I find Heinz beans far too sugary but they don't have the excess of runny sauce that a lot of own brand cans tend to have.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Baked Beans on 10:29 - May 5 with 1711 viewsclive_baker

I can take them or leave them tbh. I find the sauce to be a little on the sweet side, even Branstons. Something quite comforting about beans and cheese on a spud though, reminds me of my student days where I pretty much lived on that or if I was feeling flush I might extend to pasta and cheese with salad cream.

I do like a BBQ sauce Baked Bean vibe.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Baked Beans on 10:32 - May 5 with 1698 viewsSaleAway

Heinz, mixed up with a dash of Lea & Perrins, on toast, topped with grated cheddar.

that is all

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Baked Beans on 10:36 - May 5 with 1678 viewsChurchman

Baked Beans on 10:29 - May 5 by clive_baker

I can take them or leave them tbh. I find the sauce to be a little on the sweet side, even Branstons. Something quite comforting about beans and cheese on a spud though, reminds me of my student days where I pretty much lived on that or if I was feeling flush I might extend to pasta and cheese with salad cream.

I do like a BBQ sauce Baked Bean vibe.

For a touch of the exotic, a baked spud, grate the cheese and mix it in the potato skin (crispy!), baked beans on top with more of the grated cheese on that.
Baked Beans on 10:37 - May 5 with 1675 viewsMookamoo

I have beans (plus a couple of Quorn sausages and then covered with Sriracha) for lunch a fair few times a week. I try to be good and get the Tesco no sugar added ones which are OK. Every now and again the Tesco delivery bod has swapped them for Heinz full sugar and then realise how much nicer they are.

I had some artisan homemade baked beans at a B&B the other day. They were nice but a lot of effort considering how good even the cheapest supermarket alternatives are. I'm not sure beans really benefit from being artisaned.
Baked Beans on 10:40 - May 5 with 1665 viewsBiGDonnie

Heinz only, and not the sugar free ones. On toast with a load of butter.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Baked Beans on 10:47 - May 5 with 1643 viewsBlue_Order

Branston is the top dog on the baked bean scene 👍
Login to get fewer ads

Baked Beans on 10:49 - May 5 with 1640 viewsDanTheMan

I hate baked beans.

I like beans in basically every other form, but for whatever reason, I just really dislike baked beans.

I've tried them a good dozen times now over the past decade because I really want to like them but no change. Plenty of other things over the years I've gone from hating to loving (like olives) but I fear I will never enjoy baked beans.

Runs in the family too, my sister is the same and I believe my father also disliked them.

I am told though that I can cook them very nicely, my partner always gets me to make them.
[Post edited 5 May 2022 10:49]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Baked Beans on 10:54 - May 5 with 1613 viewshomer_123

Baked Beans on 10:47 - May 5 by Blue_Order

Is the only correct answer here.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Baked Beans on 11:02 - May 5 with 1568 viewswitchdoctor

Baked Beans on 10:54 - May 5 by homer_123

Is the only correct answer here.

yep..👍
Baked Beans on 11:02 - May 5 with 1566 viewschicoazul

Lads I have to tell you the own brand Tesco beans are good.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Baked Beans on 11:07 - May 5 with 1566 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Love baked beans.

Branstons.

Dash of Worcester sauce, a few chilli flakes and a finely chopped up spring onion.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Baked Beans on 11:24 - May 5 with 1535 viewsChurchman

Baked Beans on 11:07 - May 5 by StochesStotasBlewe

Love baked beans.

Branstons.

Dash of Worcester sauce, a few chilli flakes and a finely chopped up spring onion.

That’s a great combo.

Mixing with a tin of tomatoes, chilli flakes, a tiny amount of cumin, black pepper, Lea & Perrins, a little chopped onion, even a bit of celery, a burp of ketchup reduce down and jobs a good un.
Baked Beans on 11:32 - May 5 with 1499 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Baked Beans on 10:27 - May 5 by BlueBadger

I find Heinz beans far too sugary but they don't have the excess of runny sauce that a lot of own brand cans tend to have.

Disagree. We've found that Heinz beans sauce is far too runny, these days.

Branston beans win hands down.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Baked Beans on 11:36 - May 5 with 1463 viewsFixed_It

Baked Beans on 10:49 - May 5 by DanTheMan

I hate baked beans.

I like beans in basically every other form, but for whatever reason, I just really dislike baked beans.

I've tried them a good dozen times now over the past decade because I really want to like them but no change. Plenty of other things over the years I've gone from hating to loving (like olives) but I fear I will never enjoy baked beans.

Runs in the family too, my sister is the same and I believe my father also disliked them.

I am told though that I can cook them very nicely, my partner always gets me to make them.

You can cook baked beans very nicely? Not sure that will quite get you onto Masterchef!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Baked Beans on 11:39 - May 5 with 1458 viewsBiGDonnie

Baked Beans on 11:36 - May 5 by Fixed_It

You can cook baked beans very nicely? Not sure that will quite get you onto Masterchef!

Yeah I think his Mrs has had him over there, similar to when I tell my kids they make the best tea.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Baked Beans on 11:39 - May 5 with 1457 viewsSwansea_Blue

Baked Beans on 11:32 - May 5 by BasingstokeBlue

Disagree. We've found that Heinz beans sauce is far too runny, these days.

Branston beans win hands down.

Indeed. Branston or Tesco own brand - both have a thicker sauce. Job done.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Baked Beans on 12:33 - May 5 with 1379 viewsSWGF

Branstons

Knob of butter and heat VERY slowly. I stick chilli flakes and/or Sriracha sauce into them to give them a bit of a kick.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Baked Beans on 12:36 - May 5 with 1358 viewsfooters

Baked Beans on 10:47 - May 5 by Blue_Order

100%.

But for those gastronomically inclined, making your own Boston style baked beans with lardons is a must for a decent side dish.

Keep it classy, TWTD.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Baked Beans on 12:47 - May 5 with 1328 viewsPlums

Baked Beans on 10:23 - May 5 by Ewan_Oozami

Yes
Heinz

I always add a dash of Heinz ketchup to them to provide a bit of acidity. Chilli flakes are a good addition too.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Baked Beans on 12:49 - May 5 with 1318 viewsGogs

Yes. Branson are best, and good value too, as you say.

Eustice’s comments yesterday were abhorrent. But I really do wish there was more emphasis placed on home economics in school. I’ve long held this view, since way before the current cost of living crisis. A lot of people don’t know how to cook a decent meal which is both cheap and nutritious. This in itself is a failure of the education system. Jamie Oliver was on the right lines with his school meals initiative but I still think more could be done to better educate everyone. Something of a moot point now when many on the breadline are working 2 jobs a day just to get something on the table which they then can’t afford to cook.
Baked Beans on 12:51 - May 5 with 1309 viewsEwan_Oozami

Baked Beans on 12:47 - May 5 by Plums

I always add a dash of Heinz ketchup to them to provide a bit of acidity. Chilli flakes are a good addition too.

Chilli or other spicy flavours should never, ever, be added to Baked Beans...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Baked Beans on 12:54 - May 5 with 1294 viewsusm

Baked Beans on 10:49 - May 5 by DanTheMan

I hate baked beans.

Me too, DTM, cant stand the things, but like moist other beans

SiL puts them in Cottage Pie = FAIL

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Baked Beans on 12:56 - May 5 with 1292 viewshoppy

Yes
Branston

(sometimes add a bit of barbecue or steak sauce and/or a few crushed chillis to add a bit of kick)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024