Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour need a new leader 06:14 - May 6 with 12897 viewsgtsb1966

and fast. Yesterday's results are proving that. He just doesn't resonate with the electorate unfortunately. The only way to get this rabble out is for a new labour leader. I just hope it happens because if it doesn't this excuse of government will get another five years.
Labour need a new leader on 06:40 - May 6 with 4207 viewsITFC_Forever

Whoever Labour have as leader, there’ll be a portion of the party that don’t support him. Too busy with their own internal petty squabbles to do what they are supposed to be concentrating on…. Getting rid of the shambles in blue.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Labour need a new leader on 06:41 - May 6 with 4209 viewsElderGrizzly

They’ve won three Tory strongholds in London and voters said Starmer was a positive reason for doing so

Starmer clearly needs to do more to get the Labour message out, or arguably decide what it is, but this isn't a bad result for Labour.
Labour need a new leader on 06:46 - May 6 with 4182 viewssolomon

Can’t see this rabble getting another 5 years, the tide is turning, the only threat to this not happening are the usual suspects in the media who will prey on the most intellectually challenged and convince them the tories are what they need.
Labour need a new leader on 07:07 - May 6 with 4112 viewsEdwardStone

Indeed.... just "One More Heave" should do it this time

A new leader, a bit of re-branding should see the Tories off

But what if it doesn't?

What if the next General Election brings us a further 5 years of.....this.

Surely the way to guarantee a better fairer society would be for Labour to commit to abolishing FPTP and co operate within a progressive alliance

Labour's delusion that it will sweep to power under the current system is a busted flush. It has directly led to decades of misrule and misery; Brexit, bedroom tax, foodbanks and squandered opportunity.

But yeah, next election it will be different.

A change of leader will not be enough, I fear
[Post edited 6 May 2022 7:24]
Labour need a new leader on 07:15 - May 6 with 4080 viewsChrisd

Labour have made gains so far, but quite minor. The Tories are the big losers no doubt, but Labour surely must be questioning where they go from here? If they can’t make significant gains after what has happened over recent months then they really have got problems. It’s their best chance right now, but they seem incapable of grasping this huge opportunity even with the Tories’ continuous faux pas!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Labour need a new leader on 07:30 - May 6 with 4008 viewsPlums

Much as I like Starmer, I can’t help feeling that Burnham would put this Tory rabble to the sword and romp to number 10.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Labour need a new leader on 07:38 - May 6 with 3971 viewsChurchman

The cliches are that the Opposition doesn’t win elections, the Government loses them and it’s the economy that decides the election.

Well, on every key element this rabble have failed, including the economy. Even with Ukraine where support has been good, the stench of Londongrard money laundering and tories filling their pockets with roubles will come back to haunt them.

Add in their out of touch sense of entitlement and they’re toast. All the opposition needs to do is keep quiet.
Labour need a new leader on 07:38 - May 6 with 3970 viewsthebooks

Yeah, pretty poor results, although Wandsworth and Westminster are good for morale.

Bit of an open goal, really. I don’t understand why he just didn’t take most of Corbyn’s policies while portraying himself as a safe pair of hands. This obsession with re-running New Labour just makes him and the party seem slightly devious.

Still, at least Nadia Cenci was booted out of Ipswich 👍
Login to get fewer ads

Labour need a new leader on 07:53 - May 6 with 3899 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour need a new leader on 06:41 - May 6 by ElderGrizzly

They’ve won three Tory strongholds in London and voters said Starmer was a positive reason for doing so

Starmer clearly needs to do more to get the Labour message out, or arguably decide what it is, but this isn't a bad result for Labour.

So it's still all about Brexit!
Hartlepool (70% leave)...
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/politics/hartlepool-council-elections-2022

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Labour need a new leader on 08:00 - May 6 with 3855 viewsFixed_It

Labour need a new leader on 07:30 - May 6 by Plums

Much as I like Starmer, I can’t help feeling that Burnham would put this Tory rabble to the sword and romp to number 10.

Absolutely. He should have been leader years ago. Would have saved us from a lot of misery.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Labour need a new leader on 08:20 - May 6 with 3786 viewsitfcjoe

I think people forget that the last set of locals were before the 'fall of the red wall' so they were never going to win a load of seats back in that area because they never lost them.

It was always going to be a set of elections that both sides could claim a victory from - the Tories briefing about losing 800 seats was never in a million years going to happen and was purely an exercise in expectation management to try and look like they'd done well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Whilst Burnham would undoubtedly….. on 08:25 - May 6 with 3756 viewsBloots

Labour need a new leader on 08:00 - May 6 by Fixed_It

Absolutely. He should have been leader years ago. Would have saved us from a lot of misery.

….be a better option than Keith, the massive downside would be that with the Manc Mayor job up for grabs, that massive hypocrite Gary Neville would become even more of an insufferable knobhead.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Labour need a new leader on 08:31 - May 6 with 3700 viewsGuthrum

Lot of results to come yet, many places do not count until the next day.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Labour need a new leader on 08:36 - May 6 with 3660 viewsGuthrum

Labour need a new leader on 07:07 - May 6 by EdwardStone

But what if it doesn't?

Surely the way to guarantee a better fairer society would be for Labour to commit to abolishing FPTP and co operate within a progressive alliance

Labour's delusion that it will sweep to power under the current system is a busted flush. It has directly led to decades of misrule and misery; Brexit, bedroom tax, foodbanks and squandered opportunity.

I've always thought 'One more heave' was a particularly ill-chosen piece of sloganeering. Invokes a rather different image to that intended ...

Labour need a new leader on 08:36 - May 6 with 3644 viewsblueasfook

Labour need a new leader on 08:31 - May 6 by Guthrum

Lot of results to come yet, many places do not count until the next day.

Lib Dems have made good gains also. Which should worry Labour. Not all tory defectors are choosing Labour instead.

I think we could be looking at a Labour/Lib Dem coalition for the next govt.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Labour need a new leader on 08:39 - May 6 with 3642 viewslowhouseblue

it was clear in december 2019 that turning that result around over one electoral cycle would be completely unprecedented. it is an utterly massive task. you can't take the metropolitan bubble or any online bubble as representative of where the wider population is. the stuff that is exciting much of the media and much social media doesn't have wider traction. if starmer can focus now on government incompetence, inflation, cost of living and the economy turning down we have a chance in 2024 - but to form a government after the 2019 result would be a scale of success never seen before. to quote the today programme - we are still suffering from long corbyn.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour need a new leader on 08:42 - May 6 with 3627 viewsmr_bean

But what if it doesn't?

Agreed. The realisation that FPTP is really a "faux" democratic system has led me to contemplate not voting at all at the next GE (for the first time in my life).

FPTP leads to wasted votes and people therefore feeling unrepresented. It props up our current two-party shambles.
Labour need a new leader on 08:49 - May 6 with 3572 viewsEdwardStone

Labour need a new leader on 08:36 - May 6 by Guthrum

I've always thought 'One more heave' was a particularly ill-chosen piece of sloganeering. Invokes a rather different image to that intended ...

I think is seeing the political stuggle in binary, like a Tug of War

Although the thought of Kier Starmer tugging is quite a revolting image
Labour need a new leader on 08:52 - May 6 with 3560 viewsGuthrum

Labour need a new leader on 08:36 - May 6 by blueasfook

Lib Dems have made good gains also. Which should worry Labour. Not all tory defectors are choosing Labour instead.

I think we could be looking at a Labour/Lib Dem coalition for the next govt.

If Labour are prepared to go for that, then possibly so. However, that has always been the sticking point.

There is already a fair bit of cooperation at local level between Greens and LibDems, in terms of standing aside where the other can win, which would bring still more votes into the equation.

All depends how much Labour are prepared to give up and compromise, or if they stubbornly adhere to their traditional "we can win outright on our own" approach. Which, with the loss of Scotland in 2015 and now the "Red Wall" too, is pie in the sky.

Labour need a new leader on 09:10 - May 6 with 3466 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

As I write only 75 of 146 seats have been counted (in England... none have in Scotland, Wales and NI) and Labour have more than double the Tories already.

As Joe says, the Tories set an unrealistically high expected losses so they can say, "Well it wasn't bad as we thought it would be, so we're actually doing better than many (us) were suggesting."

Can't believe people still fall for this smoke and mirrors nonsense. It's not even particularly clever.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Labour need a new leader on 09:11 - May 6 with 3466 viewsScout38

Labour need a new leader on 07:53 - May 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

So it's still all about Brexit!
Hartlepool (70% leave)...
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/politics/hartlepool-council-elections-2022

Just spoke to a family member who canvassed in South Norfolk. Most mentioned subjects were the BBC picking on Boris and Labour taking us back into the EU.
You may joke it's normal for Norfolk but I find it absolutely terrifying.
Labour need a new leader on 09:11 - May 6 with 3464 viewsSouperJim

Looks like standard right wing media disinformation to me. A lot of seats labour didn't even contest vs lib dems, yet they've won their biggest share of votes for years and now have more than double the number of councillors the tories do. This is being reported as "modest gains".

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Labour need a new leader on 09:11 - May 6 with 3458 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Tell me more about this Keith guy?

I hear from some of our other posters he has a sharp haircut, and is no better than Boris.
Labour need a new leader on 09:15 - May 6 with 3419 viewsGuthrum

Labour need a new leader on 08:42 - May 6 by mr_bean

Agreed. The realisation that FPTP is really a "faux" democratic system has led me to contemplate not voting at all at the next GE (for the first time in my life).

FPTP leads to wasted votes and people therefore feeling unrepresented. It props up our current two-party shambles.

Tho failing to vote is not sufficient to delegitimise it. There is no minimum turnout figure. It needs to be overthrown by cooperation, active alliance building and parties being prepared to work together - even to their own local and immediate disadvantage - then sticking to promises to change the system. Plus getting everybody, even the disillusioned, out to vote.

Serious thought needs to be given to what method is best to replace it with, so that everybody is working in the same direction and things are explained as clearly as possible (part of what went wrong last time we had a referendum on electoral reform).

Labour need a new leader on 09:16 - May 6 with 3403 viewspointofblue

But what if it doesn't?

I’ll be shocked of Johnson is the Conservative leader at the next general election. I’m sure most of the party can see how toxic he is but they’re leaving him place as a useful target to draw fire. Who will replace him is another guess entirely and they don’t seem to have any obvious takers - perhaps Javid but he has the poisoned chalice of Health and Social Care. They were obviously lining up Sunak until recent headlines made him possibly even more unpalatable than Johnson.

But whoever it is will be a fresh face compared to four years of hearing Starmer’s message, similar to Major being relatively fresh (two years as PM) compared to Kinnock, as leader of the opposition for nine years, come 1992.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024