Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feeder clubs 11:43 - May 7 with 1284 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Does anyone know if there are any formal "feeder club" arrangements in England? The more I think about this, the better idea it seems, and with McKenna and Ashton's links with clubs like Mau U and Tottenham, I wonder if it could happen. It could give Town access to scouting data on young players rom a much wider international scouting set up. There would clearly need to be a financial mechanism to help get deals done for promising young (e.g. 18-22) players that might otherwise be out of our price range. For the Premier Club, there are a number of benefits: it would be a way to get a first dibs to take the players after say 2 years; Town are playing a style of football that is very similar to how those top teams play; the players would also be playing in front of big crowds and getting accustomed to some fan pressure and expectation. There would need to be a termination clause of course for when we reach the Premier league ourselves. Maybe Scott Twine could be the first recruit ;).

Poll: would you rather

Feeder clubs on 11:48 - May 7 with 1251 viewsJ2BLUE

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Feeder clubs on 11:53 - May 7 with 1231 viewsFixed_It

Feeder clubs on 11:48 - May 7 by J2BLUE

No - I think he's onto something. The club shop could sell half 'n half scarves......

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Feeder clubs on 11:56 - May 7 with 1218 viewswkj

I think we have an informal relationship with Spurs already (Klug Connection) - But it is pointless wanting to be an official feed club of Man U and Spurs for 2 good reason.

1. We're already a feeder club for Colchester United
2. In a few seasons both Man U and Spurs will be fighting to become our feeder club.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Feeder clubs on 12:17 - May 7 with 1152 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Feeder clubs on 11:48 - May 7 by J2BLUE

Why?

Feeder clubs on 14:44 - May 7 with 998 viewsJ2BLUE

Feeder clubs on 12:17 - May 7 by LegendofthePhoenix

Why?

There is nothing more tinpot and pointless than being a feeder club. How many smaller clubs have become feeder clubs? Have some respect for your club.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Feeder clubs on 14:50 - May 7 with 974 viewsFrimleyBlue

Feeder clubs on 14:44 - May 7 by J2BLUE

There is nothing more tinpot and pointless than being a feeder club. How many smaller clubs have become feeder clubs? Have some respect for your club.

Colchester. Altho they take the oaps.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Feeder clubs on 14:53 - May 7 with 973 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Perhaps nodge could do something with Fulham. If it works out, Newcastle could then take Fulham on who then use nodge as a feeder club in a 3-stage link.

We might be able to arrange something with Charlton, Sunderland or Portsmouth if we can get promoted.

Also, "Scott Twine could be the first recruit", where did you see that he plays for Man Utd or Tottenham? I believe he is at MK Dons and being eyed by some Championship clubs.

Or on short, no I don't think there is any formal link anywhere but some clubs may favour where they send players on loan due to how they develop the players they take on loan. At the moment our recent history would not play into our hands on that count. However, hopefully McKenna will rapidly change that reputation.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Feeder clubs on 15:10 - May 7 with 942 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Feeder clubs on 14:44 - May 7 by J2BLUE

It's just a commercial arrangement that benefits both clubs. It isn't forever. Although we don't like it, we are in League 1, 2 divisions below the top teams. There will be many players in the 18-22 age range who can't yet command a starting slot, and could either be in the U23s of the top clubs, or warm the bench and maybe get a couple of 15 minute cameos all season, or who could be loaned out to get regular competitive football. I'm not talking about kids, I'm talking about very good young players who are just a season or two away from playing at the very top level. Until we are at least in the Championship, I don't see any shame in that.

Login to get fewer ads

Feeder clubs on 15:16 - May 7 with 929 viewsjayessess

Feeder clubs on 15:10 - May 7 by LegendofthePhoenix

It's just a commercial arrangement that benefits both clubs. It isn't forever. Although we don't like it, we are in League 1, 2 divisions below the top teams. There will be many players in the 18-22 age range who can't yet command a starting slot, and could either be in the U23s of the top clubs, or warm the bench and maybe get a couple of 15 minute cameos all season, or who could be loaned out to get regular competitive football. I'm not talking about kids, I'm talking about very good young players who are just a season or two away from playing at the very top level. Until we are at least in the Championship, I don't see any shame in that.

Such arrangements don't really exist within the same country, do they?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Feeder clubs on 15:57 - May 7 with 890 viewsSharkey

Feeder clubs on 14:50 - May 7 by FrimleyBlue

Colchester. Altho they take the oaps.

If Colchester have been a feeder club for anyone, it is Peterborough. And I have a feeling ( for no good reason) that they could continue to be so, - perhaps with Bonne or KVY getting reunited with some old pals there.
Feeder clubs on 09:22 - May 8 with 691 viewsWakh

Feeder clubs on 11:56 - May 7 by wkj

I think we have an informal relationship with Spurs already (Klug Connection) - But it is pointless wanting to be an official feed club of Man U and Spurs for 2 good reason.

1. We're already a feeder club for Colchester United
2. In a few seasons both Man U and Spurs will be fighting to become our feeder club.

We are not a feeder club for Colchester let's get that right.

We are more Greyhound trust. You know and admirable organisation that finds loving homes for ex racing greyhounds.

What we are is the 'proper blokes trust' rehoming proper blokes.
Feeder clubs on 10:31 - May 8 with 630 viewsjayessess

One of the things McKenna's Man U connection exposes is actually how little you would get out of this sort of arrangement.

Man Utd don't have a huge pile of players to send out to League One. Last year they sent out 2 players at our level, Ethan Galbraith (who was fine for Doncaster, but no better) and Burton reserve keeper Matej Kovar. Neither would've been any use to us.

They sent out 5 players to the Championship (CM James Garner to Forest, CBs Teden Mengi to Birmingham and Di'Shon Bernard to Birmingham, RB Ethan Laird to Swansea/Bournemouth, AM Tahith Chong to Birmingham). But only the centre backs would be realistic targets for us and that's a position we're well stocked in.

Finding players who are exactly the right level (not so good that they've nothing to gain from a year in L1, not so raw that they're no use to us) and play in a position we need filling is hard enough without deciding one club has dibs on your loan spots!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024