Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early signings 11:56 - May 7 with 2998 viewsC_Jam_Blue

We all want to see early signings this summer with a good pre-season and time to bed in. When are we likely to see activity, I really can't remember from last year. I presume the various play-offs will need to be out of the way but when realistically can we begin to see new arrivals.
Early signings on 12:00 - May 7 with 2970 viewswkj

To me, early would be within the first 2 or 3 weeks of getting back in the office. If we've made any pre-contract agreements with players on expiring deals - they would likely have been completed, or are being completed during this period. As for putting in transfer offers, I wouldn't imagine that will be happening until after the summer recess.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Early signings on 12:14 - May 7 with 2919 viewsJ2BLUE

People need to be realistic about when 'early' actually is.

Also, although not ideal, waiting for players can pay off. We got Walton and Morsy late.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Early signings on 12:26 - May 7 with 2877 viewsjayessess

I think it's probably less crucial this Summer? Last Summer our first starting line-up had 5 players who weren't really intended to be regular starters. It also had 8 new signings in it, 3 of whom hadn't signed until well into July (late July in Chaplin's case).

I think even at this stage we've got 8 likely starters already in the building (Walton, Donacien, Woolf, Edmundson, Burns, Evans, Morsy, Chaplin), plus a few more reliable squad players (Burgess, Penney, KVY, El Mizouni, Edwards, Aluko, maybe Jackson), kids who might step up (Humphreys, Baggott, Ndaba, Chirewa, Dobra), senior pros who might show something in the Summer (Harper, Pigott) and possible returnees who can be integrated quickly (Celina, Bakinson, Jackson).

Even if we make little early progress on new signings we'll be in a position to do good pre-season work and to put out a very competitive line-up Late July.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Early signings on 13:58 - May 7 with 2698 viewsChurchman

Early signings on 12:26 - May 7 by jayessess

I think it's probably less crucial this Summer? Last Summer our first starting line-up had 5 players who weren't really intended to be regular starters. It also had 8 new signings in it, 3 of whom hadn't signed until well into July (late July in Chaplin's case).

I think even at this stage we've got 8 likely starters already in the building (Walton, Donacien, Woolf, Edmundson, Burns, Evans, Morsy, Chaplin), plus a few more reliable squad players (Burgess, Penney, KVY, El Mizouni, Edwards, Aluko, maybe Jackson), kids who might step up (Humphreys, Baggott, Ndaba, Chirewa, Dobra), senior pros who might show something in the Summer (Harper, Pigott) and possible returnees who can be integrated quickly (Celina, Bakinson, Jackson).

Even if we make little early progress on new signings we'll be in a position to do good pre-season work and to put out a very competitive line-up Late July.

It’s a lot less urgent than last year exactly for the reasons you give. The core of the squad will get a proper pre-season regardless. I hope they are able to get done any intended business early, but I’m mindful of Ashton’s comment last year that the transfer you think easy often isn’t and the difficult ones visa versa.
Early signings on 14:07 - May 7 with 2648 viewsFrimleyBlue

Early signings on 12:14 - May 7 by J2BLUE

Also, although not ideal, waiting for players can pay off. We got Walton and Morsy late.

Whilst true. It also played a part in our early season problems.

Imo we need to get everyone in before we return for pre season.. the later it goes on, the harder the start will be

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Early signings on 14:18 - May 7 with 2627 viewsBeckets

There’s about a week between the transfer window opening and returning to pre season training.
Early signings on 14:23 - May 7 with 2587 viewsxrayspecs

Bakinson if we choose to pursue him could happen early.

Suspect there will be little visible activity until July. Like last season, we may need to wait until close to the end of the window before we land out targets.
Early signings on 14:33 - May 7 with 2540 viewsjayessess

Early signings on 14:07 - May 7 by FrimleyBlue

Whilst true. It also played a part in our early season problems.

Imo we need to get everyone in before we return for pre season.. the later it goes on, the harder the start will be

That said, we had a fair few of our eventual first team group here on July 1: Woolfenden, Donacien, Penney, Burns, KVY, Evans, El Mizouni, Norwood, Bonne, Jackson. Just that the majority of them weren't regarded as proper first teamers!

Login to get fewer ads

Early signings on 14:37 - May 7 with 2506 viewsFrimleyBlue

Early signings on 14:33 - May 7 by jayessess

That said, we had a fair few of our eventual first team group here on July 1: Woolfenden, Donacien, Penney, Burns, KVY, Evans, El Mizouni, Norwood, Bonne, Jackson. Just that the majority of them weren't regarded as proper first teamers!

Very true

I still can't be specific in how many KM will look to bring in.

Sometimes I think just 3 or 4. But then I do wonder even those who have looked solid this year.. Will he have other ideas. I.e the likes of Wolfenden. Donacien. Key players. But don't seem to offer anything at set pieces. Do we need to sacrifice something to add something we desperately need ( our deliveries aren't that bad tbh)

I'm genuinely caught on how much the squad needs changing.

Waka waka eh eh

Early signings on 14:44 - May 7 with 2498 viewsBigCommon

"Early" for me, would mean getting the lions share of ins and out done by mid July... McKenna mentioned wanting to get everything done as early as possible.. But, as we all know, signing the right players isn't as simple as ABC, even if they've been targeted for some time.. I'm not expecting to hear much (anything concrete) for a few weeks at least... Trying to shut my ears, to all the absurdities in the mean time..
Early signings on 15:26 - May 7 with 2412 viewsPioneerBlue

Let’s be realistic.

Last year we had money to spend and we still didn’t manage to close big deals until late in TW. It’s often not down to ITFC, it’s the selling clubs, players and agents stringing out player-sale chains like houses. If we have eyes on any out of contract players these could happen quickly, others we can only hope we acquire quickly and get the benefit of a preseason which we know would be beneficial.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Early signings on 17:33 - May 7 with 2285 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The season starts very early this year. Whilst every season managers want to get players in early, every season selling clubs want to get best value and expect to negotiate on price and potentially play clubs off against each other. It is likely that whatever deals we get done, some of them will end up into the season nearer the end of the window.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Early signings on 17:54 - May 7 with 2227 viewsFrimleyBlue

Early signings on 15:26 - May 7 by PioneerBlue

Let’s be realistic.

Last year we had money to spend and we still didn’t manage to close big deals until late in TW. It’s often not down to ITFC, it’s the selling clubs, players and agents stringing out player-sale chains like houses. If we have eyes on any out of contract players these could happen quickly, others we can only hope we acquire quickly and get the benefit of a preseason which we know would be beneficial.

Might be a bit quicker this time round.

Post covid era might possibly have slowed down the usual window activity past summer as clubs were careful who they let go incase they couldn't replace and this had a domino effect. We might see it going a bit faster this summer as clubs are more aware of their finances, appreciate the turnover ahead of them and trust the season sint going to end up behind closed doors whilst having a large squad outgoing spend.

Obviously this is just how I see it being the case base on non league friends and how they approached it themselves but its never that far off what happens higher up the football league.

Waka waka eh eh

Early signings on 18:17 - May 7 with 2173 viewswkj

Early signings on 17:54 - May 7 by FrimleyBlue

Might be a bit quicker this time round.

Post covid era might possibly have slowed down the usual window activity past summer as clubs were careful who they let go incase they couldn't replace and this had a domino effect. We might see it going a bit faster this summer as clubs are more aware of their finances, appreciate the turnover ahead of them and trust the season sint going to end up behind closed doors whilst having a large squad outgoing spend.

Obviously this is just how I see it being the case base on non league friends and how they approached it themselves but its never that far off what happens higher up the football league.

I expect the opposite may be true. Although clubs need that money coming in fairly fast after the Summers of Lockdown, with a full season of gates I expect many clubs will be a little more enterprising in their selling game.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Early signings on 18:23 - May 7 with 2126 viewsFrimleyBlue

Early signings on 18:17 - May 7 by wkj

I expect the opposite may be true. Although clubs need that money coming in fairly fast after the Summers of Lockdown, with a full season of gates I expect many clubs will be a little more enterprising in their selling game.

Indeed, it will also be interesting financially between clubs on how things may have changed going into the summer. We were one of a few clubs with the financial advantage last summer, I'm sure we will be up there again but not sure if we will have that lower champ level leverage that we had last summer. That's the only slight negative we could face. But it's definitely still an exciting summer ahead.

Waka waka eh eh

Early signings on 19:09 - May 7 with 2077 viewsVic

Early signings on 12:14 - May 7 by J2BLUE

Morsey and Walton (arguably our two best players) coming in late makes me wonder if there was any correlation between the timing of a players signing and their ultimate success last season? Ie, did the ones who came in early do better of worse than the one we secured late in the window?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Early signings on 07:22 - May 8 with 1856 viewsPioneerBlue

Early signings on 18:23 - May 7 by FrimleyBlue

Indeed, it will also be interesting financially between clubs on how things may have changed going into the summer. We were one of a few clubs with the financial advantage last summer, I'm sure we will be up there again but not sure if we will have that lower champ level leverage that we had last summer. That's the only slight negative we could face. But it's definitely still an exciting summer ahead.

[For those that like precision approximations used]

Although we have a couple of players with injuries that may cut across
pre season, we are better placed this summer. We had like 4-6 players that ended as first XI for a lot of preseason last year. Ingoing this time, we have 8 first XI and 4-5 good back up players in the building. It’s a better base even if it takes some weeks to finalise things this time.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Early signings on 10:42 - May 8 with 1682 viewsjayessess

Early signings on 19:09 - May 7 by Vic

Morsey and Walton (arguably our two best players) coming in late makes me wonder if there was any correlation between the timing of a players signing and their ultimate success last season? Ie, did the ones who came in early do better of worse than the one we secured late in the window?

By July 1st
Burns
Harper
Bonne
Hladky
Evans
Penney

Mid-July
Fraser
Pigott

Late-July
Edmundson
Chaplin

early-August
Barry
Aluko
Coulson
Edwards
Burgess

Late August
Carroll
Walton
Celina
Morsy

Pre-July 1st a mixed bag, early July a sh1tshow, late July bang on, early August weak, late August strong.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 10:45]

Early signings on 12:07 - May 8 with 1579 viewsKieran_Knows

Burns signed on 3rd June last summer. Although I’d say that’s early as we were having a complete overhaul.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Early signings on 13:45 - May 8 with 1425 viewsPioneerBlue

Early signings on 10:42 - May 8 by jayessess

By July 1st
Burns
Harper
Bonne
Hladky
Evans
Penney

Mid-July
Fraser
Pigott

Late-July
Edmundson
Chaplin

early-August
Barry
Aluko
Coulson
Edwards
Burgess

Late August
Carroll
Walton
Celina
Morsy

Pre-July 1st a mixed bag, early July a sh1tshow, late July bang on, early August weak, late August strong.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 10:45]

Thanks for back up info. It’s really not surprising our early season form was pitiful when you look at it like that.

This year we at least have a base. If we didn’t cover our new key positions and Edmundson/Edwards don’t become injury free until later in the window we start preseason with

Walton,
Donacien, Wolf, Burgess,
Burns, Penny,
Morsy and Evans,
Chaplin and Aluko
Piggot

Still with back up

Hladky
KVY, Ndaba,
Baggot
Harper, El Miz
Humphreys