Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20-goal striker 01:38 - May 9 with 2959 viewsBondiBlue

We always seem to talk about finding a 20-goal striker and it got me wondering how many score 20 in their first season and how many need a season to settle in before scoring 20. Looking at this season, here are those in League One who scored 15+ league goals:

Will Keane (26 goals) - already there
Ross Stewart (26) - new signing
Alfie May (23) - already there
Cole Stockton (23) - already there
Matty Taylor (20) - already there
Scott Twine (20) - new signing
Michael Smith (18) - already there
Sam Vokes (17) - new signing
Lee Gregory (16) - new signing
Ryan Hardie (16) - already there (on loan last season)
Callum Lang (15) - already there
Sam Smith (15) - new signing

That's 5 out of 12 who were new signings and 3 of them didn't actually get 20 goals. Most of them were already at the club. Which makes me wonder whether it's worth giving pigott or macca one more chance instead of taking a punt on someone new. On another note, who of the above would you have been excited about us signing? Twine yes, unknown striker from scotland (stewart) maybe, lee gregory and sam vokes, nope.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The 20-goal striker on 06:41 - May 9 with 2762 viewsDarth_Koont

I thought Rotherham’s Michael Smith was excellent against us – even without the goal.

While I agree a nippy player like Jackson works well for us by pulling defences wide and/or exploiting space behind, someone like Smith providing a focal point in attack also feels needed. And he was a total handful at set pieces.

Ideally we’d have both types in the same team.

Would I have been excited by Smith? Based on his career, no. But his 10 goals in the Championship the season before would have been interesting.

Pronouns: He/Him

The 20-goal striker on 06:48 - May 9 with 2746 viewsVeggie

We have a 20 goal striker in Pigott, we just don’t seem to play football to suit his game. I don’t know if McKenna’s style suits an out and out striker as such. Not enough chances created, especially down the left hand side.
[Post edited 9 May 2022 6:49]
The 20-goal striker on 07:15 - May 9 with 2637 viewsBondiBlue

The 20-goal striker on 06:48 - May 9 by Veggie

We have a 20 goal striker in Pigott, we just don’t seem to play football to suit his game. I don’t know if McKenna’s style suits an out and out striker as such. Not enough chances created, especially down the left hand side.

He does seem to want them to drift wide (jackson, norwood) or drop back (pigott) to get involved. If the striker's not in the box, it's going to be harder to score. So does that mean the striker he wants will be one that can help chaplin and celina score more?

Poll: Which would you accept?

The 20-goal striker on 07:26 - May 9 with 2591 viewsRIPbobby

I'm not sure Twine is what we need. He is more of a 20 yard wonder goal player. I would prefer someone who leads the line, holds the ball up and scores 20 goals in the 6 yard box.
[Post edited 9 May 2022 13:17]
The 20-goal striker on 07:35 - May 9 with 2547 viewsbournemouthblue

Whatever striker does fit McKenna's system, he hasn't found it yet

The closest to it was Jackson, I would suggest you need a fairly complete striker who is fast and powerful, a Didier Drogba type

Not that you find many of these outside the Premier League

I'm not saying he is this calibre but I would have liked to see Tyreece Simpson, he has the raw ingredients to be a handful

I can't believe the mess we have made of the situation with him, he must be our best striker prospect for some time?

You definitely need some muscle for League One at times as well, which makes Piggotts signing particularly disappointing, who knows maybe he needs a season under his belt?

My one concern with strikers with McKenna is that Man U didn't when seem to crack their striker conundrum when he was fairly heavily involved there

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The 20-goal striker on 07:46 - May 9 with 2479 viewsDarth_Koont

Sometimes we get the right player at the wrong time. We’ve missed out on Will Keane’s best form and Pigott looks well off the previous season’s form too.

But just as we’ve seen with Jackson’s resurgence, it’s about using the players in the right way and giving them a role that fits their strengths and the team’s needs.

I imagine McKenna and his team have seen enough this season to identify the players they’re going to build the team around and so have a much clearar idea of the strikers needed to complement them. That seems to be Jackson plus another (with possibly someone like Morris as understudy), a new central striker/targetman with Pigott as competition, and then Chaplin as a wildcard/second striker.

I’d imagine the two new strikers will have a bit more pedigree though. Because despite excellent flashes from Jackson, Pigott’s potential to recapture his Wimbledon form and Chaplin’s sharpness in the box, we need a lot more trust and confidence in our striking options as a whole.

The 20-goal striker on 07:52 - May 9 with 2449 viewsDarth_Koont

The 20-goal striker on 07:35 - May 9 by bournemouthblue

The closest to it was Jackson, I would suggest you need a fairly complete striker who is fast and powerful, a Didier Drogba type

I'm not saying he is this calibre but I would have liked to see Tyreece Simpson, he has the raw ingredients to be a handful

I can't believe the mess we have made of the situation with him, he must be our best striker prospect for some time?

You definitely need some muscle for League One at times as well, which makes Piggotts signing particularly disappointing, who knows maybe he needs a season under his belt?

My one concern with strikers with McKenna is that Man U didn't when seem to crack their striker conundrum when he was fairly heavily involved there

To be fair, I think Morris was more highly rated and looked decent when he came on in Hurst’s first match in the Championship. Injuries and the turmoil and player turnover of relegation seem to have stopped him in his tracks.

So maybe Simpson doesn’t even make it as a League One player in the end. But I agree with you that it would have been nice to see him more than we did.

The 20-goal striker on 07:55 - May 9 with 2410 viewstextbackup

He hasn’t found that striker yet from the ones he took on… he’s not had a chance to find one that suits his style as yet

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

The 20-goal striker on 08:04 - May 9 with 2376 viewsDarth_Koont

Re: the Didier Drogba type. That was how Bonne started the season then mysteriously fell away to being an out-of-form Connor Sammon.

The 20-goal striker on 08:19 - May 9 with 2306 viewsBlueBadger

Piggot has only managed 20 goals in a season once in the past 8 years. He's only managed double figures 3 times in the past ten years and is now supposedly 28, in his peak years.

He's a 'kevin lisbie signing'*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pigott#Career_statistics

* - kevin lisbie signing - crap striker signed by ipswich iff the back of one half decent season in a largely mediocre career. See also: Tmas Priskin, Freddie Sears, Kevin Lisbie.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The 20-goal striker on 08:36 - May 9 with 2233 viewstractorboy1978

I am still yet to work out what Pigott brings or what his game actually is. He looks absolutely shot to bits to me. Slow, cumbersome, struggling to hold the ball. He's just looked well off the pace/standard required.
The 20-goal striker on 08:43 - May 9 with 2184 viewsBiGDonnie

I'll be very disappointed if Pigott is anywhere near the first team next season. Absolute donkey.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

The 20-goal striker on 09:07 - May 9 with 2120 viewsOriginalMarkyP

The 20-goal striker on 08:43 - May 9 by BiGDonnie

I'll be very disappointed if Pigott is anywhere near the first team next season. Absolute donkey.

Should have sold Piggot to recoup some money and get him off the wage bill and kept Norwood for nothing.

Norwood is 10 times the player.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

The 20-goal striker on 09:13 - May 9 with 2098 viewsDarth_Koont

The 20-goal striker on 08:36 - May 9 by tractorboy1978

I am still yet to work out what Pigott brings or what his game actually is. He looks absolutely shot to bits to me. Slow, cumbersome, struggling to hold the ball. He's just looked well off the pace/standard required.

There’s definitely a player in there. He does a lot of things right with his back to goal and trying to bring in the players around him but had a strange problem of taking one too many touches to let the defender get a foot in or get into position to cover the pass.

He looked like he was playing without much freedom or confidence – and the bit part roles probably didn’t help either.

Definitely a season for him to forget. But hopefully if he’s still around he can be part of a team with an otherwise performing attack. That never really happened with any consistency whether he was in the team or not.

The 20-goal striker on 09:17 - May 9 with 2073 viewsBiGDonnie

The 20-goal striker on 09:07 - May 9 by OriginalMarkyP

Should have sold Piggot to recoup some money and get him off the wage bill and kept Norwood for nothing.

Norwood is 10 times the player.

Think it'll be difficult to sell Pigott but can see him leaving on loan somewhere for the season.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

The 20-goal striker on 09:20 - May 9 with 2060 viewsBlueBlood90

I'd happily take two new strikers who get 19 each.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

The 20-goal striker on 09:26 - May 9 with 2033 viewsBlueandTruesince82

We had one in Will Keane too, just didn't know it

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

The 20-goal striker on 09:33 - May 9 with 2004 viewsBlueBadger

The 20-goal striker on 09:26 - May 9 by BlueandTruesince82

We had one in Will Keane too, just didn't know it

Be interesting to see what he does next season, considering he's never gotten out of single figures in a season before.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The 20-goal striker on 09:47 - May 9 with 1923 viewsPhilTWTD

The 20-goal striker on 09:17 - May 9 by BiGDonnie

Think it'll be difficult to sell Pigott but can see him leaving on loan somewhere for the season.

Indeed, who at our level is going to match his wages, let alone pay a fee? Loan is probably the most likely way he'll leave.
The 20-goal striker on 10:29 - May 9 with 1794 viewsBlueandTruesince82

The 20-goal striker on 09:33 - May 9 by BlueBadger

Be interesting to see what he does next season, considering he's never gotten out of single figures in a season before.

It will.

Much of that has been down to injury which TBF was similar here so we'll. I think most strikers have 1 wonder season in them

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

The 20-goal striker on 14:57 - May 9 with 1364 viewsVeggie

The 20-goal striker on 08:36 - May 9 by tractorboy1978

I’m sure people said the same about McGoldrick before he went to Sheff Utd, but I tend to agree with you!
The 20-goal striker on 19:16 - May 9 with 1194 viewsArnieM

I’m not so sure “ we have made a mess of this situation” though!

Simpson’s agent ( I read somewhere recently , but can’t recall where), was trying to negotiate a deal with Swindon whilst the player was playing for them on loan . Town got to hear about this snd immediately called him back.

So who is in the wrong here ? The players? The agent ? Swindon? ….. I’d say not Town.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The 20-goal striker on 20:03 - May 9 with 1148 viewscbower

The 20-goal striker on 09:33 - May 9 by BlueBadger

Do you mean single figure appearances or goals. Both could almost be accurate when you consider his injuries.
If he gets 10+ in the Championship for Wigan he will have done his job. Look at Clarke-Harris at Posh. Loads in L1, far less in a struggling Team in Champonship.

bluescouser

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024