Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit 12:06 - May 10 with 1364 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61383391

This, of course is the news which should be at the top of all of our minds, but of course we're all pretending it's not happening, aren't we? (intentionally abrasive)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 13:12 - May 10 with 1286 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. We seem powerless to act – even though it’s already happening.

And the idea we can’t do anything is ridiculous given how governments intervened over the pandemic. Catastrophic climate change is of course hundreds of times worse too. Both in deaths and how costly/irreversible it is to delay taking the necessary steps.

Pronouns: He/Him

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 15:44 - May 10 with 1236 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Wasn’t there a scientist who predicted all this in the 1970/80’s, and no one took notice?
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 15:49 - May 10 with 1227 viewsSTYG

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 15:44 - May 10 by WickhamsLeftBoot

Wasn’t there a scientist who predicted all this in the 1970/80’s, and no one took notice?

Nobody in power cares.

The only things people in power generally care about is staying in power. That usually involves doing the most popular things for the majority of people.

Spending vast sums on protecting us all against something that ultimately won't have any effect on them, as they'll be dead, means having far less money to spend now and ultimately they'd lose their power and influence.

So who cares about the grandchildren or their children?

All of the damage was preventable to a degree and a large amount of it still is, but the world is too far gone now. Too many people would be unwilling to do what they'd need to do to play their small part and even when they were (like the rich not paying taxes) they'd soon refuse to do their little bit when the people with the power to make a real difference (USA / China etc) still use a jumbo jet to fly to the house next door to borrow a strimmer.
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:39 - May 10 with 1181 viewsNthQldITFC

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 15:49 - May 10 by STYG

Nobody in power cares.

The only things people in power generally care about is staying in power. That usually involves doing the most popular things for the majority of people.

Spending vast sums on protecting us all against something that ultimately won't have any effect on them, as they'll be dead, means having far less money to spend now and ultimately they'd lose their power and influence.

So who cares about the grandchildren or their children?

All of the damage was preventable to a degree and a large amount of it still is, but the world is too far gone now. Too many people would be unwilling to do what they'd need to do to play their small part and even when they were (like the rich not paying taxes) they'd soon refuse to do their little bit when the people with the power to make a real difference (USA / China etc) still use a jumbo jet to fly to the house next door to borrow a strimmer.

I think it's all about horizons. A politician's horizon might be five years of an electoral cycle. A sixty year-old's horizon might be twenty years, a young parent's horizon might be eighty years for themselves and a hundred years for their kids (in theory).

Well this milestone is very much above the politician's horizon now, let alone the rest of us.

The number of clean, shiny, road only 4x4s I saw on the road today around Ipswich. We must be absolutely fkn insane as a species, and still we do fck all to change our ways. Wake up people.

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:44 - May 10 with 1174 viewsJ2BLUE

The people in power are mostly wealthy people who couldn't give a damn because the sh1tstorm that will be unleashed with negatively impact other people. They are well off enough to protect themselves and their family. They won't be battling over water resources or seeing the tides ride above their homes.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:52 - May 10 with 1159 viewsNthQldITFC

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:44 - May 10 by J2BLUE

The people in power are mostly wealthy people who couldn't give a damn because the sh1tstorm that will be unleashed with negatively impact other people. They are well off enough to protect themselves and their family. They won't be battling over water resources or seeing the tides ride above their homes.

They may well suffer from the anarchy and insurrection that will follow though, and they won't be able to eat their money or their smashed up iron railings either.

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:53 - May 10 with 1157 viewsmylittletown

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:44 - May 10 by J2BLUE

They will get shot for their food and land though.
Or rather their grandchildren will.
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 17:57 - May 10 with 1113 viewsSwansea_Blue

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 15:44 - May 10 by WickhamsLeftBoot

Depends on who you mean. Some people have been taking notice (scientists have been since before the 70s). We had the IPCC set up in the late 80s and the first intergovernmental agreements in to early 90s. But it does seem that it's a case of too little , too late for many of the interventions.

Vested interests funding a skeptic movement and lobbying various governments doesn't help of course.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 18:07 - May 10 with 1104 viewsOldsmoker

I managed to hold my last fart for at least 2 mins so I might have delayed global warming by a few milliseconds.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 18:22 - May 10 with 1087 viewsSwansea_Blue

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 18:07 - May 10 by Oldsmoker

I managed to hold my last fart for at least 2 mins so I might have delayed global warming by a few milliseconds.

You should have captured it in a jar. Methane capture innit. And you'd probably get a few quid selling it on Ebay!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 18:29 - May 10 with 1073 viewsOldsmoker

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 18:22 - May 10 by Swansea_Blue

You should have captured it in a jar. Methane capture innit. And you'd probably get a few quid selling it on Ebay!

Are you saying I shouldn't recycle my jars?
Surely that would accelerate Global warming?

If only I was brain-dead like Grant Shapps or Liz Truss then I could happily live life in blissful ignorance.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 22:43 - May 10 with 1012 viewsDanTheMan

Depends what you mean by predicted, but it was already being seriously flagged up in the 50s. In the 60s it had reached the point there was a big report in the U.S talking about the seriousness of climate change.

I know I bang this drum a lot on here but we've known (or at least the people who needed to) for a long time. There was plenty of time to avoid disaster but people chased profit and growth instead.

And even now, despite the advice being that we've left it so late the only course is a fairly radical societal shift, the plan is to slowly cut back over a few more decades.

The consequences will unfortunately be felt mainly by those who cannot afford to deal with it, and did little to contribute to the issue.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 05:45 - May 11 with 924 viewssolomon

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:39 - May 10 by NthQldITFC

I think it's all about horizons. A politician's horizon might be five years of an electoral cycle. A sixty year-old's horizon might be twenty years, a young parent's horizon might be eighty years for themselves and a hundred years for their kids (in theory).

Well this milestone is very much above the politician's horizon now, let alone the rest of us.

The number of clean, shiny, road only 4x4s I saw on the road today around Ipswich. We must be absolutely fkn insane as a species, and still we do fck all to change our ways. Wake up people.

The 4x4 whether it’s shinny or new does not matter, it’s how it’s being powered that’s the issue. There is so much misinformation regarding EVs and other forms of eco mobility that far too many people are lapping it up and are convinced that some miracle petrol diesel zero emission fuel will ride to the rescue before the end of the decade and protect what they are comfortable with. Ultimately our species will destroy itself, it’s probably what we deserve.
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 05:56 - May 11 with 917 viewsElephantintheRoom

Probably because more than half the people in the world will be more than happy to be 1.5 degrees warmer. Just ask those woolly mammoths - things change as you emerge from an ice age.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 08:44 - May 11 with 868 viewsNthQldITFC

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 05:45 - May 11 by solomon

The 4x4 whether it’s shinny or new does not matter, it’s how it’s being powered that’s the issue. There is so much misinformation regarding EVs and other forms of eco mobility that far too many people are lapping it up and are convinced that some miracle petrol diesel zero emission fuel will ride to the rescue before the end of the decade and protect what they are comfortable with. Ultimately our species will destroy itself, it’s probably what we deserve.

What I meant by the new and shiny bit was that they are being bought in increasing numbers for use only on the road, i.e. in a not remotely justifiable way. To some extent I can see the justification for farmers etc. requiring big heavy vehicles, but the vast majority are Chelsea Tractors, and the kids they are often ferrying to school, perhaps one to a wagon, are the ones who are going to pay.

Totally agree on the 'lapping it up' comment wrt. EVs. Even if the scale up of technology from power generation, to transmission, to onboard storage could be achieved, that scale up is dependent upon massive damage to the environment in the rush for the rare resources and the space to achieve it.

Whether it is ignorance or self-delusion and wishful thinking, we all have a responsibility to face the terrifying information we are being given, and do what we can to make a difference, in the hope that we might just hold back the tide long enough for an unexpected miracle. The hope might be small, but there is a chance. Not if we keep ignoring it though.

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 09:20 - May 11 with 852 viewsSTYG

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 16:39 - May 10 by NthQldITFC

I totally agree by the way.

But the likes of Thunberg get ridiculed by people like Trump. Those in power with the difference to make a real chance just laugh because they don't care. It won't be an issue in their own lifetimes.

Sadly I can't see it changing until it's too late, which will be the 30 year olds of 10-20 years time moving into these positions and finally being able to do something because it will impact them. Potentially by then too much stuff is irreversible.
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 10:30 - May 11 with 823 viewsmylittletown

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 05:56 - May 11 by ElephantintheRoom

Probably because more than half the people in the world will be more than happy to be 1.5 degrees warmer. Just ask those woolly mammoths - things change as you emerge from an ice age.

One of the most stupid of all arguments.
Many Brits don't seem to realise that when the Arctic ice cap disappears, the Gulf Stream will disappear as well, and our weather will become much like Labrador, which is on the same latitude as London.
That will be loads of fun, and will have dramatic effects on our economy, housing stock, and coastal cities. Those wealthy enough to do so will leave.
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 11:14 - May 11 with 777 viewsDarth_Koont

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 10:30 - May 11 by mylittletown

Many Brits don't seem to realise that when the Arctic ice cap disappears, the Gulf Stream will disappear as well, and our weather will become much like Labrador, which is on the same latitude as London.
That will be loads of fun, and will have dramatic effects on our economy, housing stock, and coastal cities. Those wealthy enough to do so will leave.

Indeed. The insinuation that a 1.5 degree increase will be a boon for the Northern nations is an insane, Daily Mailesque conclusion. As you point out, the UK will likely get significantly colder.

The extreme weather events (hurricanes, flooding, rising sea levels) and global social and economic upheaval (famine, potentially more than a billion people migrating etc.) will be off any imaginable scale too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 11:23 - May 11 with 762 viewsmarchy

This puts it in one of the most striking ways I've seen

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/activity-6907343257249173506-qSmO/
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 12:04 - May 11 with 712 viewsNthQldITFC

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 10:30 - May 11 by mylittletown

I don't think that particular troll is stupid enough to believe anything he writes. Only a complete moron would think that each part of the planet is going to warm up by 1.5C, and he writes coherently enough to not be a complete moron.

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 12:32 - May 11 with 685 viewsCoachRob

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 12:04 - May 11 by NthQldITFC

I don't think that particular troll is stupid enough to believe anything he writes. Only a complete moron would think that each part of the planet is going to warm up by 1.5C, and he writes coherently enough to not be a complete moron.

In fairness, climate economists did state that the weak correlation they found between temperature and income would hold through space and time (stop sniggering, these are serious people with huge amounts of research money) and some of this 'science' made it into the IPCC AR5. Thank goodness Labour don't put economists in charge of climate change policy ; )
Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 15:32 - May 11 with 639 viewswkj

Climate change: 'Fifty-fifty chance' of breaching 1.5C warming limit on 05:56 - May 11 by ElephantintheRoom

Nah, I prefer to ask real people, such as those in California, Washington and Western Canada that saw their homes 'spontaneously combust' last year. Oh, yes, I keep forgetting - you don't have the capacity to realise that anything exists beyond the Southwold seafront.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 15:33]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024