Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Redacted] 18:41 - May 10 with 1274 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Global economics. on 19:06 - May 10 with 1181 viewsTractorWood

Sri Lanka's economy almost collapsed in 2016 from years of white elephant infrastructure projects spurred on by profound and genuine economic improvement in the 2000's. The impact of the losses are compounded by wide scale corruption - a toxic combo. A few years of reduced tourism has helped push it back to the same point.

Interesting but not sure it's entirely typical. A timely reminder on the folly of poorly thought out and enormous infrastructure projects *cough* HS2 *cough*.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Global economics. on 19:17 - May 10 with 1151 viewsOldsmoker

Global economics. on 19:06 - May 10 by TractorWood

Sri Lanka's economy almost collapsed in 2016 from years of white elephant infrastructure projects spurred on by profound and genuine economic improvement in the 2000's. The impact of the losses are compounded by wide scale corruption - a toxic combo. A few years of reduced tourism has helped push it back to the same point.

Interesting but not sure it's entirely typical. A timely reminder on the folly of poorly thought out and enormous infrastructure projects *cough* HS2 *cough*.

I must declare an interest. I'm a Railways nut.

HS2 is NOT about getting you from London to Birmingham 15 minutes quicker.
It was NEVER about faster trains between London and Birmingham.
Have you understood that!!!!!!!

It was about creating capacity.

London to Birmingham passenger trains use HS2.

All the other stopping passenger trains and freight trains that use the existing lines can do so without getting in the way of the fast trains.

Do you get it NOW?

Stop reading Daily Fail headlines and do some research.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Global economics. on 19:21 - May 10 with 1131 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lovely, lots of natural resources and public assets to be fleeced by World Bank and IMF loan/debt conditions!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Global economics. on 19:21 - May 10 with 1130 viewsGogs

Yep. I've been to Sri Lanka a few times to watch cricket. The Rajapaksa family seemingly run the whole show and are about as corrupt as they come. It's still a beautiful country with huge potential, but not whilst they're anywhere near power. The particular white elephants that leap to my mind are the 20000+ capacity cricket stadium, and the international airport in his home village of Hambantota, which is in the middle of nowhere. Neither of them are hardly used at all
Global economics. on 19:24 - May 10 with 1122 viewsTractorWood

Global economics. on 19:17 - May 10 by Oldsmoker

I must declare an interest. I'm a Railways nut.

HS2 is NOT about getting you from London to Birmingham 15 minutes quicker.
It was NEVER about faster trains between London and Birmingham.
Have you understood that!!!!!!!

It was about creating capacity.

London to Birmingham passenger trains use HS2.

All the other stopping passenger trains and freight trains that use the existing lines can do so without getting in the way of the fast trains.

Do you get it NOW?

Stop reading Daily Fail headlines and do some research.

I don't read the daily mail. The game has changed with remote work. The capacity is no longer necessary. The rail network has never been more underused than it is now. I'm currently on the empty 6:30 service out of the City.

HS2 will overrun, be facially more expensive and is not needed in any way whilst the regional rail services creep towards ruin.

Global economics. on 19:28 - May 10 with 1108 viewsOldsmoker

Global economics. on 19:24 - May 10 by TractorWood

I don't read the daily mail. The game has changed with remote work. The capacity is no longer necessary. The rail network has never been more underused than it is now. I'm currently on the empty 6:30 service out of the City.

HS2 will overrun, be facially more expensive and is not needed in any way whilst the regional rail services creep towards ruin.

The current economic climate makes what you say a good call.

Go back 5 years and you'd be laughed at for your sage advice.

Maybe, in 5 years time your sage advice will be laughed at again.

Who knows.

Global economics. on 19:30 - May 10 with 1092 viewsTractorWood

Global economics. on 19:28 - May 10 by Oldsmoker

The current economic climate makes what you say a good call.

Go back 5 years and you'd be laughed at for your sage advice.

Maybe, in 5 years time your sage advice will be laughed at again.

Who knows.

Exactly which makes it an even more ridiculous time to pursue a 2/3 decade long project.

Global economics. on 19:38 - May 10 with 1068 viewsOldsmoker

Global economics. on 19:30 - May 10 by TractorWood

Exactly which makes it an even more ridiculous time to pursue a 2/3 decade long project.

HS2 suffers from modern-day laws and that's why it's so expensive.
During the Victorian period, an act of Parliament said you could build a railroad from A to B and anyone in the way would bloomin' well have to get out of the way. Except for those who resided in the House of Lords or were connected to Royalty. You could displace 10,000 people in North London as you built your railway to Kings Cross but you had to go the long way round rather than build on Lord NotInMyBackYard's land.

Login to get fewer ads

Global economics. on 19:58 - May 10 with 1017 viewsNthQldITFC

Global economics. on 19:38 - May 10 by Oldsmoker

HS2 suffers from modern-day laws and that's why it's so expensive.
During the Victorian period, an act of Parliament said you could build a railroad from A to B and anyone in the way would bloomin' well have to get out of the way. Except for those who resided in the House of Lords or were connected to Royalty. You could displace 10,000 people in North London as you built your railway to Kings Cross but you had to go the long way round rather than build on Lord NotInMyBackYard's land.

Unfortunately those modern-day laws don't stop HS2 bulldozing acres of ancient woodlands and vital, established nature reserves, an evil and irreversible act of destruction for the vanity of politicians and the pockets of civil engineers. Bastards. Scum.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Global economics. on 20:44 - May 10 with 945 viewsOldsmoker

Global economics. on 19:58 - May 10 by NthQldITFC

Unfortunately those modern-day laws don't stop HS2 bulldozing acres of ancient woodlands and vital, established nature reserves, an evil and irreversible act of destruction for the vanity of politicians and the pockets of civil engineers. Bastards. Scum.

Unfortunately, ancient woodlands are owned by the Crown or the Government which requires just a stroke of the pen from the Minister.

All of HS2 needed Royal consent (all bills do) and I wonder if they're taking advantage of an ailing Brenda. King Charles might have a different viewpoint.
Is there anytime in British history when a monarch called Charles defying the will of Parliament has gone badly?

Global economics. on 21:01 - May 10 with 904 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Time to wean ourselves off China.
Global economics. on 21:37 - May 10 with 842 viewsTractorWood

Global economics. on 20:44 - May 10 by Oldsmoker

Unfortunately, ancient woodlands are owned by the Crown or the Government which requires just a stroke of the pen from the Minister.

All of HS2 needed Royal consent (all bills do) and I wonder if they're taking advantage of an ailing Brenda. King Charles might have a different viewpoint.
Is there anytime in British history when a monarch called Charles defying the will of Parliament has gone badly?

Some are held privately and land owners are being given decent pay offs via compulsory purchase orders.

The Chilterns Hills is being affected quite profoundly and is a place of ridiculous beauty. Anyone who has not been, I definitely recommend it. A few weeks ago I went for a long jog around Ivinghoe Beacon, the Ashridge Estate and that area. Red Kites soaring above beautiful views. Such a shame it's being destroyed.

Global economics. on 21:42 - May 10 with 824 viewsGuthrum

Sri Lanka is also not that long out of a period of bloody and incredibly brutal civil war.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Global economics. on 21:50 - May 10 with 799 viewsTractorWood

Global economics. on 21:42 - May 10 by Guthrum

Sri Lanka is also not that long out of a period of bloody and incredibly brutal civil war.

Indeed. Incredibly long as well!

Global economics. on 22:20 - May 10 with 733 viewsBloomBlue

Sri Lanka also tried to implement a national experiment in organic agriculture with disastrous results, with yields down 20%+ using the non organic method which meant they had to import more food then before. The worse part was they were self-sufficient in rice using the non organic method but now have to import rice and like so much rice costs have increased dramatically
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024