Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clive Thomas 19:03 - May 10 with 3393 viewsjontysnut

Leafing through his autobiography. What a pompous, bitter old windbag he was. He couldn't understand the reaction to his decisions in the 1975 semi final replay and bore a grudge easily. After saying that Bobby was not fit to manage England, he went on to add

"other players from the Ipswich side who should never in my opinion been near the England squad - they would not have been 10 years ago - are Russell Osman and Terry Butcher. Butcher appears to have no particular skills other than to ensure no one passes him...they are people who by their attitude do very little to help the game and who should not be copied by young people".

Git.
Clive Thomas on 19:15 - May 10 with 2745 viewsFtnfwest

The feeling was mutual. Mills in particular couldn’t stand him.
Clive Thomas on 19:19 - May 10 with 2720 viewsKeno

I think you spelt ********* cheating ***************** of a Welsh *********** ************* ***** wrong

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Clive Thomas on 19:19 - May 10 with 2714 viewsWD19

You are being incredibly generous.
Clive Thomas on 19:25 - May 10 with 2697 viewsCoastalblue

Does make you question what Butcher's foremost role in the team was.

Thomas was sh1te

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Clive Thomas on 19:33 - May 10 with 2648 viewsellaandred

Wasn't he on the ground staff at Norwich?
[Redacted] on 19:36 - May 10 with 2630 viewsvictorywilhappen

Clive Thomas on 19:33 - May 10 by ellaandred

Wasn't he on the ground staff at Norwich?

[Redacted]
Clive Thomas on 19:39 - May 10 with 2605 viewsellaandred

[Redacted] on 19:36 - May 10 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I think he was an apprentice. Suffered an injury. Not sure if he played for the first team.
Clive Thomas on 20:00 - May 10 with 2529 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Very few referees are ever the centre of attention for good reasons. The fact he has written an autobiography tells you that he wanted to be the centre of attention too.

There are only a very small number of referees whose autobiographies would be worth publishing. Dermot Gallagher and Pierluigi Collina spring to mind.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Clive Thomas on 20:10 - May 10 with 2509 viewsGlasgowBlue

Git is far to mild for him.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Clive Thomas on 20:17 - May 10 with 2489 viewsjontysnut

Clive Thomas on 20:00 - May 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Very few referees are ever the centre of attention for good reasons. The fact he has written an autobiography tells you that he wanted to be the centre of attention too.

There are only a very small number of referees whose autobiographies would be worth publishing. Dermot Gallagher and Pierluigi Collina spring to mind.

He refers to himself in the third person at times which shows what an ego maniac he was. I saw Jeff Winter doing an after dinner and he was another one who thought the fans had paid to watch him.
Clive Thomas on 20:24 - May 10 with 2464 viewsSteve_M

My Dad has few real dislikes from his years of watching Town but mention of Clive Thomas or the sound of that Bubbles dirge even half a century on still get a reaction.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Clive Thomas on 20:26 - May 10 with 2446 viewsellaandred

Clive Thomas on 20:00 - May 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Dermot Gallagher was twice suspended by the PL for 'poor performance'
Clive Thomas on 20:32 - May 10 with 2423 viewsITFC_History

Another piece I have copied & pasted.

An uneventful scoreless draw meant a Stamford Bridge replay four days later and a match that is still debated in certain quarters of East Anglia to this day. Another tight game saw the sides locked together at 1-1 when Ipswich had not one but two seemingly perfect goals disallowed. Bryan Hamilton was judged to have been offside in one particular decision that enraged Bobby Robson so much that he called for an FA enquiry into Thomas after the game. This in turn offended Thomas to the degree that the two men held each other in contempt and animosity for the rest of Thomas’ career and beyond.

Writing in his autobiography “By the Book” in 1984, Thomas stated:

“Robson first made a bad impression on me at a semi-final replay at Chelsea in 1975. I took the names of four Ipswich players — Burley, Hamilton, Beattie and Wark — as they were losing to West Ham. After the match, during which I had disallowed a goal, Robson stated to the press: ‘The referee was in absolutely no position to give an offside decision. The linesman was in a perfect position and he signalled it was a goal — there were several FA administrators at the game and I challenged them to take action against the referee. If they don’t, they are failing in their duty to professional soccer.’

“Such an outburst by a manager does no good to the game. I would agree with Robson that the administrators failed to do their duty — but only by not taking a grip of him and giving him a warning. A member of the appeals committee that heard the players’ case was Mr Bert Millichip, chairman of the FA, who appointed Robson to his England post. I wonder whether they said even a single word to Robson”.

Thomas also stated that from then on Ipswich Town captain, Mick Mills, made a point of never shaking Thomas’ hand again, even during pre-match toss ups.
Clive Thomas on 20:39 - May 10 with 2393 viewsITFC_History

Lets not forget this little gem. Cannot believe he still feels it was the right decision after all these years. Sums what a horrible git he still is.

Telling he never refereed another World Cup game after this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/44500178
[Post edited 11 May 2022 8:38]
Clive Thomas on 20:53 - May 10 with 2299 viewsfarkenhell

Clive Thomas on 20:39 - May 10 by ITFC_History

Lets not forget this little gem. Cannot believe he still feels it was the right decision after all these years. Sums what a horrible git he still is.

Telling he never refereed another World Cup game after this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/44500178
[Post edited 11 May 2022 8:38]

I remember watching that game live on the box. Couldn't believe that he didn't blow for full time either before the corner or after the ball had gone dead.

The bloke was a complete egotistical tool.
Clive Thomas on 21:12 - May 10 with 2219 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Clive Thomas on 20:53 - May 10 by farkenhell

I remember watching that game live on the box. Couldn't believe that he didn't blow for full time either before the corner or after the ball had gone dead.

In the BBC clip he using the fact that the commentator says he should have blown before it is taken as justification for him blowing up between Zico heading it and it crossing the line!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Clive Thomas on 21:23 - May 10 with 2180 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Clive Thomas on 19:19 - May 10 by Keno

I think you spelt ********* cheating ***************** of a Welsh *********** ************* ***** wrong

You’ve let him off far too lightly!
Clive Thomas on 21:40 - May 10 with 2112 viewsFtnfwest

Yes watched that game. As I recall brazil had a slow start but were piling it in the last 20 minutes to get a winner. If anything Sweden were the ones doing a bit of time wasting, although mild by today’s standards, and of course denying Sweden a goal like that wouldn’t have grabbed the headlines quite as much.
Clive Thomas on 21:58 - May 10 with 2056 viewsbenrhyddingblue

My eldest son just sent me a link about the 1977 FA cup semi final when Thomas disallowed a Bryan Hamilton goal for Everton for handball. They would have beaten Liverpool instead of drawing 2.2 and losing the replay.

And in the 1976 euros he missed a foul by a Czech player on Johann Cruyff from which the Czechs scored a decisive goal to get to the final. Apparently he actually admitted a mistake on this one!

I was watching the 78 World Cup game when he disallowed Brazil a winning goal against Sweden by blowing for full time as the ball was being crossed from a corner just before Zico headed it in the net!

Always all about him!
Clive Thomas on 22:03 - May 10 with 2025 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

You've spelt egotistical c*** incorrectly.

My heart sank when he was announced as the ref for the '78 cup semi final. Gave him dogs abuse for large parts of the match, but at least history didn't repeat the '75 debacle.

Horrible little man.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Clive Thomas on 22:12 - May 10 with 1972 viewsITFC_History

Clive Thomas on 21:58 - May 10 by benrhyddingblue

My eldest son just sent me a link about the 1977 FA cup semi final when Thomas disallowed a Bryan Hamilton goal for Everton for handball. They would have beaten Liverpool instead of drawing 2.2 and losing the replay.

And in the 1976 euros he missed a foul by a Czech player on Johann Cruyff from which the Czechs scored a decisive goal to get to the final. Apparently he actually admitted a mistake on this one!

I was watching the 78 World Cup game when he disallowed Brazil a winning goal against Sweden by blowing for full time as the ball was being crossed from a corner just before Zico headed it in the net!

Always all about him!

It would seem Mr Thomas had something against Bryan Hamilton
Clive Thomas on 22:12 - May 10 with 1975 viewsRadlett_blue

Clive Thomas on 21:58 - May 10 by benrhyddingblue

Always all about him!

Hamilton's "goal is at about 11:40. He clearly wasn't offside & Thomas admitted afterwards he hadn't disallowed it for offside. He eventually said that he had disallowed the goal because he couldn't believe Hamilton could have deflected it in legitimately without using his arm, although it looks to me as if he chested it in.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Clive Thomas on 22:16 - May 10 with 1955 viewsITFC_History

Clive Thomas on 22:12 - May 10 by Radlett_blue

Hamilton's "goal is at about 11:40. He clearly wasn't offside & Thomas admitted afterwards he hadn't disallowed it for offside. He eventually said that he had disallowed the goal because he couldn't believe Hamilton could have deflected it in legitimately without using his arm, although it looks to me as if he chested it in.

If he used his hand Clemance would have been doing his nut. Instead he looked distraught when Hamilton scored. Not one Liverpool protested the goal either. As you say Radlett perfectly good goal
Clive Thomas on 22:34 - May 10 with 1897 viewsRadlett_blue

Clive Thomas on 22:16 - May 10 by ITFC_History

If he used his hand Clemance would have been doing his nut. Instead he looked distraught when Hamilton scored. Not one Liverpool protested the goal either. As you say Radlett perfectly good goal

Indeed, Thomas just "guessed", which is poor refereeing considering he hadn't actually seen an offence from his position & neither had his linesman. Same when he disallowed a Town goal in the West Ham replay for off-side - again, no flag from his linesman.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Clive Thomas on 22:36 - May 10 with 1892 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Clive Thomas on 22:16 - May 10 by ITFC_History

Yep, not one Liverpool players appeals!

He makes League One refs look good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024