Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed 12:54 - May 11 with 2565 viewshype313

Presume it would be in line with the Magnus from a flow perspective, as Ashton said the stadium looks all a bit bolted together, which I agree with, it looks disjointed in all honesty.

Out of interest, anyone know the capacity of the Magnus?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 13:00 - May 11 with 2536 viewshomer_123

Please can we avoid any kind of stand improvement/ re-development.

Let's just say that Ipswich has a long history of building/ re-development of stands coinciding with a distinct downturn of fortunes.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 13:06 - May 11 with 2486 viewstextbackup

you wouldnt replace an old looking stand, and then have it replicate an old looking stand.

size wise it might be the same, but i'd hope it would be a lot nicer than the pioneer

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 13:56 - May 11 with 2265 viewsWorcesterParkBlue

Roughly I think Magnus is around 9k, with the other 3 stands being about 7k each.
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:02 - May 11 with 2235 viewsBloomBlue

Also need to sort out the executive boxes, very old fashioned in there now. A modern football club needs quality in that area as it brings in a lot of income.
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:03 - May 11 with 2233 viewsMeadowlark

I hope any redevelopment maintains a lot of the character of the existing ground. Some of the cloned designs at the new typically out of town stadiums are totally lacking in individuality and many visiting fans prefer our older style layout - as do I.

Which one is the Magnus?
I still call them North, Churchmans, Main and Chicken-run!
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:14 - May 11 with 2158 viewsFtnfwest

I'd have thought carry round the style of the sir bob, although roofs would then clash in corner so slightly higher
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:17 - May 11 with 2136 viewshype313

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:03 - May 11 by Meadowlark

I hope any redevelopment maintains a lot of the character of the existing ground. Some of the cloned designs at the new typically out of town stadiums are totally lacking in individuality and many visiting fans prefer our older style layout - as do I.

Which one is the Magnus?

I thought the Chicken Run was Churchmans! Didn't that end up at Foxhall stadium?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:20 - May 11 with 2123 viewsChrisd

It's exciting that we are having this conversation, the cosmetic bits that have been added throughout the season has helped to lift PR after years of neglect, so to talk about redevelopment is wonderful.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:23 - May 11 with 2104 viewsDJR

Which one is the Magnus?

I always thought it rather bizarre that the Chicken-run ended up at Foxhall Stadium.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 14:24]
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:28 - May 11 with 2074 viewswrightsrightglove

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:14 - May 11 by Ftnfwest

I'd have thought carry round the style of the sir bob, although roofs would then clash in corner so slightly higher

Yeah I think the redeveloped stands were designed along with a rough layout of how the other stands would connect with them and create a cohesive stadium so I’m sure it would look similar in design to the SBR stand and flow around.
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:30 - May 11 with 2061 viewsPhilTWTD

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:28 - May 11 by wrightsrightglove

Yeah I think the redeveloped stands were designed along with a rough layout of how the other stands would connect with them and create a cohesive stadium so I’m sure it would look similar in design to the SBR stand and flow around.

I saw a design for the Cobbold along the same lines as the Sir Bob. Would have been done a few years afterwards had we won promotion. If and when it is redone, will almost certainly be new plans, however.
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 15:13 - May 11 with 1925 viewsHelp

It would surely match the SBR and SAR as that is the way of new modern stadia. However I saw plans years ago that had the stand sitting over the road so traffic could still pass underneath. Whether that would be the case now, as the road could be shut off completely
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 16:20 - May 11 with 1794 viewsArnieM

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:17 - May 11 by hype313

I thought the Chicken Run was Churchmans! Didn't that end up at Foxhall stadium?

The old stand ( before the Cobbold stand was built ) is the one that went to Speedway I believe….I think that’s the East Stand?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 16:27 - May 11 with 1767 viewsjaykay

Which one is the Magnus?

now you lost me ,what happened to the west stand

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 16:58 - May 11 with 1683 viewsDJR

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 16:27 - May 11 by jaykay

now you lost me ,what happened to the west stand

Here's a link to an aerial photo taken in 1947.
https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/re
The ground is on the right of the photo near the top, and it is possible to click on the photo to enlarge.
I had thought from Meadowlark's post, and from my distant memory, that the Chicken-run was the old East Stand, and that what I knew as the West Stand must be the Main Stand, but in 1947 the West Stand was the smallest stand, so I am not sure what the Main Stand was.
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 17:41 - May 11 with 1586 viewsstonojnr

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 14:30 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

I saw a design for the Cobbold along the same lines as the Sir Bob. Would have been done a few years afterwards had we won promotion. If and when it is redone, will almost certainly be new plans, however.

well yes, those stands (North/South) are themselves now 20 years old in terms of build, let alone design philosophy, it might not sound alot in pure well a stand is a stand built of concrete and steel etc what difference does it make, but there are almost certainly things that you could do differently in the construction now that we couldnt 20 years ago.

plus all the tech you can have, the new Wembley is similar vintage to our most recent stands, and I know even 5 years ago they were talking about stripping out all the tech for broadcasting and replacing a bunch of stuff as even if it was brand new leading edge stuff when it went in, which tbf I dont think it was, but its miles behind now where it needs to be for most broadcasters to operate, and even more pressing because actually we are only a few years away from alot of it becoming totally tech obsolete and switched off so it wont work anymore.
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 18:43 - May 11 with 1413 viewsFarmerpiles

I know the infrastructure isn't there, but always thought it would look better having tv cameras for games etc would be better placed in the cobbold as then the view would be of the now Magnus main stand, giving a much better impression of size of the ground on a TV screen (as rare as that is!)
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 18:46 - May 11 with 1400 viewsMullet

The what?

North
Churchmans
Pioneer
Aways fans and Poshos

Which Portman Rd are you talking about?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 18:56 - May 11 with 1354 viewsPJH

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 16:58 - May 11 by DJR

Here's a link to an aerial photo taken in 1947.
https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/re
The ground is on the right of the photo near the top, and it is possible to click on the photo to enlarge.
I had thought from Meadowlark's post, and from my distant memory, that the Chicken-run was the old East Stand, and that what I knew as the West Stand must be the Main Stand, but in 1947 the West Stand was the smallest stand, so I am not sure what the Main Stand was.

The Chicken-run was the East Stand and appears as the bigger stand in that 1947 photo because what became the West Stand did not exist then-it seems that was built in 1952
If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 19:08 - May 11 with 1290 viewsTheBoyBlue

I've always thought that the pitch needs to be shifted across as the fencing at the bottom of the top tier of the Pioneer/Magnus/West Stand gets in the way of the near side of the pitch for the cameras and from some seats up there.

However, that would mean building a new Cobbold Stand over or on top of Portman Road and I don't imagine that would be easy or even possible.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

If the Cobbold is to be re-developed on 19:26 - May 11 with 1212 viewsChurchman

I’d replace the East Stand (where the Chicken Run stood) with a new stand with a roof line and height of the North Stand, perhaps two tiers if that adds to capacity. There’s a limit to what you can do under it, so bars, tv’s toilets.

I’d get rid of the blue cube in the corner, relocate the club shop to the spare site behind Churchmans next to the Wetherspoons and licensed whorehouse. Where the cube is, put in some seats or relocate the police box to it and demolish the peculiar Wendy house.

For the West Stand, redevelop the underneath and extend it onto the old practice pitch. Id build a more permanent structure than the tiring tent for match days, maybe incorporating a new state of the art stable for Bluey and Crazee.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024