Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? 13:14 - May 11 with 3306 viewsunstableblue

I mean really can there be anyone left who thinks leaving the EU was a good idea?

https://www.politico.eu/article/experts-brexit-protocol-is-boosting-northern-ire

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/us-president-joe-biden-calls-on

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/11/no-option-off-the-table-on-nort

The problem is the right wing populist MPs and media that drove Vote Leave... just continue to poison our politics and culture

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 14:40 - May 11 with 2372 viewsHARRY10

But DavIs

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/these-david-davis-tweets-really-havent-age

" Davis' claim that the UK would easily forge new trade deals with Germany, France and "other key EU nations", a plan that sounds nice but is totally illegal under EU law.

A central, basic feature to the EU is that member countries cannot negotiate individual trade deals"

Therein lies one of the reasons for referring to brexiteers as thick - believing in something that could not happen. Not stating that it would not happen, but that it could not.

Much as with Jane Munnery (ex ukip MEP) who has not stopped whining because Johnson lied to her.. What this thicko is still unable to grasp is it is not that Johnson failed to deliver (now there's a surprise), but what he promised was not possible. That should have been obvious to her, it was to others.

The same is happening with the NI protocol. The problems with the GFA and border checks were raised, well before the referendim, and have been since. What was required, so it seems, was a liar to say he could fix them. He couldn't, but he countered on there being enough stupid people to believe him. There were.

The same, and an ever increasing number of, problems are being played out, as reality smashes into the flimsy barricade of stupidity.

Huge labour shortages, 4million extra customs forms A DAY, hold ups at sea/air ports, jobs being moved abroad, immigrants piling in....

Brexit is not am earth shattering blow, that the UK will soon start to recover from - but a long, long slow descent into isolation and stagnation.
Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 18:44 - May 11 with 2244 viewsArnoldMoorhen

There were those such as Rees-Mogg who have said things that show that, ultimately, they are unconcerned if Northern Ireland leaves the United Kingdom and becomes part of a United Ireland. They simply don't care.

Personally I don't care from the point of view of how big the United Kingdom is, or how many people the Queen gets to rule over. If the people of Northern Ireland vote for unification with Eire then I would wish them well.

However, my concern is that if that were to happen it would not happen peacefully. Innocent people will die and be maimed again. An innovative "quantum state" Peace Agreement will have been ripped up for binary solution, and, in a Northern Ireland context, that means violence.

As an aside, I have been musing this week on the Arlene Foster energy scandal, and the failure of May to deal with it decisively, as prefiguring and enabling Johnson's illegal proroguing, sitting on reports, and partying.

The Tories do whatever it takes to cling on to power, in May's case an effective coalition with a party that deliberately destroyed the power-sharing Executive rather than allow Foster to be held accountable for her incompetent actions as a Minister.

And now history repeats itself. Sickening.
Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? (n/t) on 20:10 - May 11 with 2153 viewskeighleyblue

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 18:44 - May 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

There were those such as Rees-Mogg who have said things that show that, ultimately, they are unconcerned if Northern Ireland leaves the United Kingdom and becomes part of a United Ireland. They simply don't care.

Personally I don't care from the point of view of how big the United Kingdom is, or how many people the Queen gets to rule over. If the people of Northern Ireland vote for unification with Eire then I would wish them well.

However, my concern is that if that were to happen it would not happen peacefully. Innocent people will die and be maimed again. An innovative "quantum state" Peace Agreement will have been ripped up for binary solution, and, in a Northern Ireland context, that means violence.

As an aside, I have been musing this week on the Arlene Foster energy scandal, and the failure of May to deal with it decisively, as prefiguring and enabling Johnson's illegal proroguing, sitting on reports, and partying.

The Tories do whatever it takes to cling on to power, in May's case an effective coalition with a party that deliberately destroyed the power-sharing Executive rather than allow Foster to be held accountable for her incompetent actions as a Minister.

And now history repeats itself. Sickening.

[Post edited 11 May 2022 20:10]
Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 20:12 - May 11 with 2146 viewsRimsy

Me!! Great idea. Ain't it about time that remainers sucked it up and stopped blaming everything on brexit?
The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI. If there was give and take on both sides, a solution would be found.
As for brexit having any effect to the coalition against Putin, it's laughable. The UK have more than done their share of standing up to Russia. If all of the EU did the same, ( Germany especially, who send Putin billions every week, funding his war machine) maybe Putin would take more notice.

BlueBlood

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? (n/t) on 21:15 - May 11 with 2062 viewsSeablu

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 20:12 - May 11 by Rimsy

Me!! Great idea. Ain't it about time that remainers sucked it up and stopped blaming everything on brexit?
The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI. If there was give and take on both sides, a solution would be found.
As for brexit having any effect to the coalition against Putin, it's laughable. The UK have more than done their share of standing up to Russia. If all of the EU did the same, ( Germany especially, who send Putin billions every week, funding his war machine) maybe Putin would take more notice.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 21:20 - May 11 with 2035 viewspeterleeblue

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? (n/t) on 21:15 - May 11 by Seablu

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 22:44 - May 11 with 1934 viewsRimsy

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? (n/t) on 21:15 - May 11 by Seablu

I see the anti brexit obsessives are still reverting to insults when they have nothing interesting to add.

BlueBlood

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 22:50 - May 11 with 1919 viewsjeera

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 22:44 - May 11 by Rimsy

I see the anti brexit obsessives are still reverting to insults when they have nothing interesting to add.

"Nothing to add"

There's been 6 years of discourse [over Brexit] with a thousand different topics discussed at length many times over.

Every angle that can be considered has been done to death.

Then you pipe up from nowhere with a couple of near nonsensical lines and think you've cracked it.

If you understood a word then you would have felt silly posting the way you have so far.

"Reverting to insults...

knobs".
[Post edited 11 May 2022 23:10]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 23:19 - May 11 with 1836 viewsRimsy

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 22:50 - May 11 by jeera

"Nothing to add"

There's been 6 years of discourse [over Brexit] with a thousand different topics discussed at length many times over.

Every angle that can be considered has been done to death.

Then you pipe up from nowhere with a couple of near nonsensical lines and think you've cracked it.

If you understood a word then you would have felt silly posting the way you have so far.

"Reverting to insults...

knobs".
[Post edited 11 May 2022 23:10]

I agree, it's been done to death. But still some people continue to bring brexit up at every opportunity to blame it for all the country's ills.

I don't think i've 'cracked' anything. I replied to a post, thought thats what a forum was for.

You don't know me from Adam and have no idea of my understanding of the topic. As I don't know you, but I would'nt belittle your views just because they differ from mine.

The 'knobs' comment was aimed at those who try to stifle differing views if they don't tally with their own.

BlueBlood

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 23:21 - May 11 with 1823 viewsunstableblue

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 20:12 - May 11 by Rimsy

“The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI. If there was give and take on both sides, a solution would be found. “

Where do you get this stuff from?!

Straight from the Daily Mail?

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/09/start-being-honest-northern-irelan

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_5215

Vote Leave lied to you, the right wing media lied to you. And this Brexit dividend worse cabinet in living memory continue to lie.

Wake up.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 07:23 - May 12 with 1604 viewsElephantintheRoom

You forget the power of simply ignoring EU requirements on the Irish border - which will remain open to goods and people under the terms of the Good Friday agreement. I somehow doubt that the USA or EU will erect a wall on the border.

Hey presto - problem solved, once again proving the benefit of our new-found Brexit freedoms.

Very similar to what’s happening elsewhere in the UK where no checks are being made on goods coming in from the EU because it’s proved to be a tad expensive

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 08:30 - May 12 with 1531 viewsRimsy

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 23:21 - May 11 by unstableblue

“The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI. If there was give and take on both sides, a solution would be found. “

Where do you get this stuff from?!

Straight from the Daily Mail?

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/09/start-being-honest-northern-irelan

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_5215

Vote Leave lied to you, the right wing media lied to you. And this Brexit dividend worse cabinet in living memory continue to lie.

Wake up.

Everybody in power lies. I didn't base my vote listening to those fools, from both sides. I made my mind up that we needed to ditch the EU way before all the lobbying started. As for people posting links from pro EU sources, what's the point of that. I could just as easily post myriad Pro brexit links but that wouldn't prove anything. Should make up your own minds. Links from The Guardian and EU commission? Hardly balanced views.

BlueBlood

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 09:33 - May 12 with 1458 viewsSwansea_Blue

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 08:30 - May 12 by Rimsy

Everybody in power lies. I didn't base my vote listening to those fools, from both sides. I made my mind up that we needed to ditch the EU way before all the lobbying started. As for people posting links from pro EU sources, what's the point of that. I could just as easily post myriad Pro brexit links but that wouldn't prove anything. Should make up your own minds. Links from The Guardian and EU commission? Hardly balanced views.

Well the EC link proves that you're talking rubbish for a start. It's literally a list of the concessions they were proposing last autumn. From the horse's mouth. There's no problem in being skeptical of potential bias, but it's a bit daft ignoring primary information. Had leavers paid attention to the EU's position on 3rd countries in the first place, these problems wouldn't exist.

But we are where we are and it won't get any better as long as people don't understand the rules of the game.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 9:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 09:42 - May 12 with 1436 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I could write an really long essay on all of the Brexit failings but that would be needless as they are evident to see.

But in short...its been a total disaster.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 09:54 - May 12 with 1420 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 09:42 - May 12 by TRUE_BLUE123

I could write an really long essay on all of the Brexit failings but that would be needless as they are evident to see.

A few will disagree, such as those Brexit donors who've profiteered by shorting against failing British firms and the falling pound. The likes of Crispin Odey and Paul Marshall, for example. (gosh, I wonder why they funded the leave campaigns?).

For everyone else, I've yet to see a benefit. Even those who tribally think they've 'won' have lost.

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 10:05 - May 12 with 1368 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 09:42 - May 12 by TRUE_BLUE123

But we re-gained control of our own laws and don't have to be subject to the EU telling us what to do. There's also a lot more spare cash which the Gov promised us will definitely go on hospitals and schools.

Or something.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:26 - May 12 with 1333 viewsEwan_Oozami

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 08:30 - May 12 by Rimsy

If you don't listen to anybody, how did you make your mind up?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:41 - May 12 with 1305 viewsSwansea_Blue

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:26 - May 12 by Ewan_Oozami

Been at the Bucks Fizz probably (see what I did there!)

Brexit.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!? on 10:43 - May 12 with 1300 viewsfab_lover

A total disaster ? We haven't even *had* Brexit yet. That's the worrying thing. The full implementation of Brexit controls at the border has been delayed for the fourth time - currently scheduled for 2023.

When those checks happen, you will see a catastrophic decline in foodstuffs coming in from the EU. Just as UK suppliers can't be bothered with the admin of supplying to the EU anymore, or the admin doesn't make it profitable to do so, so the same will apply to goods coming in.

The full implementation of Brexit will be continually kicked down the road...

...because if implemented, good luck with buying any fresh produce in the winter months that isn't potatoes or turnips or carrots or swedes.

The misinformation and lies spread during the Brexit campaign can and should lead to charges of treason against those spreading them.
The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:46 - May 12 with 1288 viewsEwan_Oozami

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:41 - May 12 by Swansea_Blue

Been at the Bucks Fizz probably (see what I did there!)

Not too bad, Keno would approve! :-)

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:47 - May 12 with 1274 viewsEdwardStone

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:46 - May 12 by Ewan_Oozami

Not too bad, Keno would approve! :-)

Keno hits the electric soup early mornings?

That explains so much

Thanks for the heads up....cheers

Hic
The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:52 - May 12 with 1254 viewsEwan_Oozami

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:47 - May 12 by EdwardStone

Keno hits the electric soup early mornings?

That explains so much

Thanks for the heads up....cheers

Hic

Buck's Fizz and Red Bull - powering punsters since 1987....

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 12:02 - May 12 with 1182 viewsRimsy

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 10:26 - May 12 by Ewan_Oozami

So you only came to a conclusion by listening to other people's views, rather than making your own mind up? Personally I saw the damage being in the EU did to this country, and wanted out.

BlueBlood

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 12:07 - May 12 with 1162 viewsfooters

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 12:02 - May 12 by Rimsy

So you only came to a conclusion by listening to other people's views, rather than making your own mind up? Personally I saw the damage being in the EU did to this country, and wanted out.

What damage was that exactly?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 12:10 - May 12 with 1141 viewsEwan_Oozami

The EU have been totally intransigent regarding NI on 12:02 - May 12 by Rimsy

Ah, you're one of those "I derived my views from personal experience" people aren't you?

In that case I won't bother you further, I'll just leave you with this...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024