Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach 17:53 - May 11 with 1080 viewsgainsboroughblue

Didn't see that one coming if I'm honest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61400703

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 17:55 - May 11 with 1068 viewsRomeo4

Pretty happy with that. I’ve always liked him. Fingers crossed it works out for all parties.
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 18:00 - May 11 with 1048 viewsgainsboroughblue

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 17:55 - May 11 by Romeo4

Pretty happy with that. I’ve always liked him. Fingers crossed it works out for all parties.

I knew he'd been coaching in the IPL but don't know how much he has done in terms of red ball.

It does seem a positive, forward thinking appointment and if he got the nod over someone like Kirsten, he must have impressed in interviews.

He was definitely a good skipper. It was his NZ side we looked to emulate, definitely in the shorter form.

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 18:04 - May 11 with 1035 viewsChrisd

It’s an exciting appointment if confirmed, a real shot in the arm for the England test side and much needed.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 18:11 - May 11 with 1024 viewsJakeITFC

Very exciting, and hopefully the pairing of him and Stokes allows us to play some front foot cricket after some of the dour performances under Root.
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 18:26 - May 11 with 1008 viewsBlueandTruesince82

An odd one, white ball seems the more logical fit for him. Gary Kirsten must be fed up applying for the England job by now.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 19:16 - May 11 with 978 viewsBlueForYou

Hoping this is a wind up. Considering that the previous two head coaches had no test coaching experience, which led us to our current predicament, how is a third going to right the ship? Plus the new director isn’t exactly carrying a bagful of experience & know how. Big gamble. As said above, Gary Kirsten must have a far better CV. I’d go Andy Flower as I think he’d do a fantastic job turning the current mess around. Guess we’ll see.
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 21:33 - May 11 with 908 viewsAce_High1

I wanted Kirsten but very happy with this.

Proper winner and attacking mentality.
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 21:38 - May 11 with 899 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shame they only had a picture of him defaecating.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 23:01 - May 11 with 854 viewsCaptainAhab

My brother in law is a Kiwi and a mad keen cricket fan and he's utterly bemused by this. Hope he's wrong, but it seems a bizarre appointment to me too.
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 00:48 - May 12 with 815 viewsstonojnr

what do you think Gary Kirsten would do on his first day on the job if he was hired...I reckon he'd tell the ECB directly what they needed to do to fix things for test & red ball cricket in general.

what do you think Brendon McCullum will do on his first day on the job...

and thats your answer :)

apparently at his interview to the job the last time it came up and Im paraphrasing as I cant remember the exact words for this, but when asked how Gary would coach the England team and why the players would listen to him, he just replied Id tell them what to do and theyd do it, or they could get out of the team. Paul Farbrace gave a multi slide powerpoint presentation, which one got the job ?
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 08:55 - May 12 with 737 viewsN2_Blue

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 00:48 - May 12 by stonojnr

what do you think Gary Kirsten would do on his first day on the job if he was hired...I reckon he'd tell the ECB directly what they needed to do to fix things for test & red ball cricket in general.

apparently at his interview to the job the last time it came up and Im paraphrasing as I cant remember the exact words for this, but when asked how Gary would coach the England team and why the players would listen to him, he just replied Id tell them what to do and theyd do it, or they could get out of the team. Paul Farbrace gave a multi slide powerpoint presentation, which one got the job ?

The last paragraph of this post has it exactly right unfortunately!!

The problem with English cricket is the ECB, not (always) the coaches, the players or talent pool!

So depressing, i wish McCullum all the best but this smacks of an ill thought and desperate appointment.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 10:45 - May 12 with 702 viewsRadlett_blue

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 00:48 - May 12 by stonojnr

Wasn't it Silverwood who got the job over Kirsten, largely because (1) he is English & Giles preferred an English coach & (2) he gave a much better presentation?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 13:21 - May 12 with 650 viewsstonojnr

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 10:45 - May 12 by Radlett_blue

Wasn't it Silverwood who got the job over Kirsten, largely because (1) he is English & Giles preferred an English coach & (2) he gave a much better presentation?

yes it was Silverwood sorry, its linked in my head to Farbrace because he gave that interview during the Ashes about how the hell the ECB appointed these people to the job they seemed hopelessly unqualified for and how coaches had to apply to even go on overseas tours even though they were employed by the ECB to be coaches, so the emphasis was always on not upsetting people or the ECB to keep ahead in the game.

so my point of that was Kirsten is too blunt a personality for the ECB to cope with,as he'd be like wrecking ball & would never see eye to eye with the ECB on a lot of subjects, which is arguably what is needed but the ECB arent turkeys voting for Christmas on this, so theyll appoint someone just like Rob Key or Collingwood who is being lined up for the ODI coach job who dont upset their apple cart too much and I think McCullum fits that kind of profile and is friendly enough with the media it will all be smiles and no drama stuff
Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 16:34 - May 12 with 597 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sort of on topic but noticed that Ollie Robinson has bowled just the one over today for Sussex. Guessing he's had a recurrence of injury.

Brendon McCullum new England Test Coach on 16:37 - May 12 with 594 viewsBlueForYou

Confirmed now. A definate gamble but hope he comes good
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024