Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
30p Per Meal 08:59 - May 12 with 4876 viewsEdwardStone

That is the considered opinion Lee Anderson MP

He claims that poor people should be able to feed themselves on 30p per meal

He has an annual salary of £84 144

And last year he claimed £219 703-44 in expenses

This equates to £832-45 per day that we pay him for such wisdom

Or 2774 of his budget meals

[Post edited 12 May 2022 9:00]
30p Per Meal on 09:05 - May 12 with 2795 viewsSteve_M

This is the MP who ostentatiously refused to support England in last Summer's European Championships for taking the knee.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

30p Per Meal on 09:06 - May 12 with 2773 viewsfooters

My considered opinion is that Lee Anderson is a heartless c**t.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

30p Per Meal on 09:07 - May 12 with 2772 viewsEdwardStone

30p Per Meal on 09:05 - May 12 by Steve_M

This is the MP who ostentatiously refused to support England in last Summer's European Championships for taking the knee.

I didn't realise that was him too...

He is a "Lack of Virtue Signaller"
30p Per Meal on 09:11 - May 12 with 2719 viewsblueasfook

Bloody idiot. He should be made to prove it by existing for a month on a budget of 90p a day (3 meals).

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

30p Per Meal on 09:13 - May 12 with 2744 viewsGuthrum

Is he also in favour of workhouses?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

30p Per Meal on 09:19 - May 12 with 2713 viewscressi

30p Per Meal on 09:13 - May 12 by Guthrum

Brainless moron
30p Per Meal on 09:22 - May 12 with 2702 viewsEdwardStone

30p Per Meal on 09:19 - May 12 by cressi

Brainless moron

That's a bit harsh

Mr Guthrum is a well-read, erudite and learned man
30p Per Meal on 09:24 - May 12 with 2684 viewsFixed_It

30p Per Meal on 09:11 - May 12 by blueasfook

Bloody idiot. He should be made to prove it by existing for a month on a budget of 90p a day (3 meals).

I doubt he thinks poor people should have three meals a day if they are tight for cash. Something has to give...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

30p Per Meal on 09:24 - May 12 with 2680 viewscressi

30p Per Meal on 09:22 - May 12 by EdwardStone

That's a bit harsh

Mr Guthrum is a well-read, erudite and learned man

Mr Anderson I meant lol
30p Per Meal on 09:26 - May 12 with 2670 viewsEdwardStone

30p Per Meal on 09:24 - May 12 by cressi

Mr Anderson I meant lol

I kind of assumed you meant the MP....

But thanks for clearing that up
30p Per Meal on 09:45 - May 12 with 2611 viewsGavTWTD

https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs/your-mp/lee-anderson/4743

You can download all his expenses into a spreadsheet but £165k is "staffing" which seems excessive at first glance. Seems to be consistent with other MPs.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

30p Per Meal on 09:46 - May 12 with 2594 viewsBlueBadger

30p Per Meal on 09:45 - May 12 by GavTWTD

You can download all his expenses into a spreadsheet but £165k is "staffing" which seems excessive at first glance. Seems to be consistent with other MPs.

I've been saying for years now that support staff for MPs should be drawn from a government-funded pool in the Civil Service.
Removes a lot of nepotism, corruption and incompetence at a stroke.

Want to employ your family and your mates? Fine. But you won't get expenses for it, it's out of your own or your local party office's pocket.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 10:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

30p Per Meal on 09:49 - May 12 with 2576 viewsfooters

30p Per Meal on 09:45 - May 12 by GavTWTD

In other news, Tory MP Lee Anderson is coincidentally the owner of the nation's richest labrador.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

30p Per Meal on 09:52 - May 12 with 2547 viewsThisIsMyUsername

These Tories really are vile, awful 'humans', aren't they?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

30p Per Meal on 10:06 - May 12 with 2504 viewsMattinLondon

30p Per Meal on 09:11 - May 12 by blueasfook

The trouble being that the no one will hold him to account, he’ll simply laugh it off and it’ll be forgotten about.
30p Per Meal on 10:08 - May 12 with 2503 viewsChurchman

30p Per Meal on 09:13 - May 12 by Guthrum

Nothing wrong with Workhouses. I had some ancestors who were in them and they were happy to be there. Deserved it too, because the poor deserved to be poor. People knew their place. Work harder and you could climb the social ladder if you wanted to.

The Victorians called it ‘removable inequalities’. I call it utter rubbish - nonsense then and it is now. Very few could climb the ‘social ladder’. Most were trapped in poverty. My mum’s family history is ample proof of that. Even if somebody did make money (eg. The Ironmasters) they were never accepted in polite society. That had to wait at least one generation.

Sadly the Victorian concept of ‘the deserving poor’ is alive and well here in the 21st century. It is rubbish because if you are trapped in poverty your options range from limited to non existent.

I’m bored with rich, arrogant, ignorant people telling people how to live their lives when they have no idea what their lives are and what realistic options they have. They should read Dickens’ A Christmas Carol and learn something.

It’s no good saying ‘get on your bike’ as Tebbit once suggested if you don’t have the money for a bike or anywhere to go. It’s no good suggesting 30p a meal is enough to live on when it obviously isn’t. I suspect on 30p a meal you can stay alive just about. What a tribute to 21st century Britain that is. I just happen to believe we can do better.

Rant over.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 10:19]
30p Per Meal on 10:13 - May 12 with 2487 viewsMattinLondon

Just found this on the BBC - that particular MP in full-flow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61414951
30p Per Meal on 10:59 - May 12 with 2286 viewsBigCommon

Lets call it £1 per day. That's pretty extreme... £2 a day per person is very doable when times are hard.... Much harder if you live on your own, though..... When I'm hard up, I go on the Porridge and stew diet.. Really cheap, and really healthy.. Helped me save up for my first ever car.... I think those that are resourceful and can think on their feet, will struggle less, and moan less.. Those that can't, will soon learn... Recessions come and go.. Make the most of the good times and learn to deal with the worse times...The longer you live, the more you will experience it. The less of a shock it is, the next time it comes around...
30p Per Meal on 11:32 - May 12 with 2190 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

30p Per Meal on 10:59 - May 12 by BigCommon

Lets call it £1 per day. That's pretty extreme... £2 a day per person is very doable when times are hard.... Much harder if you live on your own, though..... When I'm hard up, I go on the Porridge and stew diet.. Really cheap, and really healthy.. Helped me save up for my first ever car.... I think those that are resourceful and can think on their feet, will struggle less, and moan less.. Those that can't, will soon learn... Recessions come and go.. Make the most of the good times and learn to deal with the worse times...The longer you live, the more you will experience it. The less of a shock it is, the next time it comes around...

The ingredients for a BBC beef stew recipe for 5, assuming you could buy 2 celery sticks rather than six, or two tablespoons of worcestershire sauce rather than a bottle, cost about £7.50.

So assuming you're happy to have beef stew 5 days a week (you don't have a freezer, remember) that's already £1.50 a day.

That £1.50 does not cover the cost of cooking nor purchasing and cooking some spuds, say, to go with your stew.

Then of course there's the other two meals.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

30p Per Meal on 11:43 - May 12 with 2171 viewsGuthrum

30p Per Meal on 10:08 - May 12 by Churchman

Nothing wrong with Workhouses. I had some ancestors who were in them and they were happy to be there. Deserved it too, because the poor deserved to be poor. People knew their place. Work harder and you could climb the social ladder if you wanted to.

The Victorians called it ‘removable inequalities’. I call it utter rubbish - nonsense then and it is now. Very few could climb the ‘social ladder’. Most were trapped in poverty. My mum’s family history is ample proof of that. Even if somebody did make money (eg. The Ironmasters) they were never accepted in polite society. That had to wait at least one generation.

Sadly the Victorian concept of ‘the deserving poor’ is alive and well here in the 21st century. It is rubbish because if you are trapped in poverty your options range from limited to non existent.

I’m bored with rich, arrogant, ignorant people telling people how to live their lives when they have no idea what their lives are and what realistic options they have. They should read Dickens’ A Christmas Carol and learn something.

It’s no good saying ‘get on your bike’ as Tebbit once suggested if you don’t have the money for a bike or anywhere to go. It’s no good suggesting 30p a meal is enough to live on when it obviously isn’t. I suspect on 30p a meal you can stay alive just about. What a tribute to 21st century Britain that is. I just happen to believe we can do better.

Rant over.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 10:19]

Yes, I had ancestors in workhouses, too.

They were one of those things which, in theory, were a good idea - centralised poor relief with more organised funding - but which was messed up by the very modern issue of people who are comfortably off not wanting to pay for things which do not benefit them directly.

30p Per Meal on 12:17 - May 12 with 2087 viewsChurchman

30p Per Meal on 11:43 - May 12 by Guthrum

Yes, I had ancestors in workhouses, too.

They were one of those things which, in theory, were a good idea - centralised poor relief with more organised funding - but which was messed up by the very modern issue of people who are comfortably off not wanting to pay for things which do not benefit them directly.

They worked on the basis of providing the meanest of support to entice people to work. Families were split up to encourage this. The rich in the Victorian world had no problem with poverty as long as it was neither seen or heard.

There were plenty against the Great Reform Bill in 1832 and the concept of universal suffrage is a relatively recent one. The poor and certainly women were considered incapable of an opinion and the last thing you wanted to do was educate the lower orders let alone give them the vote. We owe a lot to the more philanthropic victorians, social campaigners, Chartists, writers, artists etc and philosophers like John Stuart Mill.

The Factory Act of 1833 restricted children 9-13 to a maximum of 8 hours work a day. 13-18 a max of 12 hours a day. Lucky them! The Mines Act 10 years later banned children under 10 working under ground. There was outrage at these liberal, profit challenging ideas at the time. I suspect that if these Acts and their modern replacements came up for repeal, plenty would vote to get rid of them. After all the poor deserve it.

1870 was the point when education became compulsory. Education is the key to everything. For me it’s not just about academic achievement, it’s about life skills, making the most of what people have. Just my view.
30p Per Meal on 12:31 - May 12 with 2052 viewsGuthrum

30p Per Meal on 12:17 - May 12 by Churchman

They worked on the basis of providing the meanest of support to entice people to work. Families were split up to encourage this. The rich in the Victorian world had no problem with poverty as long as it was neither seen or heard.

There were plenty against the Great Reform Bill in 1832 and the concept of universal suffrage is a relatively recent one. The poor and certainly women were considered incapable of an opinion and the last thing you wanted to do was educate the lower orders let alone give them the vote. We owe a lot to the more philanthropic victorians, social campaigners, Chartists, writers, artists etc and philosophers like John Stuart Mill.

The Factory Act of 1833 restricted children 9-13 to a maximum of 8 hours work a day. 13-18 a max of 12 hours a day. Lucky them! The Mines Act 10 years later banned children under 10 working under ground. There was outrage at these liberal, profit challenging ideas at the time. I suspect that if these Acts and their modern replacements came up for repeal, plenty would vote to get rid of them. After all the poor deserve it.

1870 was the point when education became compulsory. Education is the key to everything. For me it’s not just about academic achievement, it’s about life skills, making the most of what people have. Just my view.

Thoroughly agree about education. It's a passport to thinking, analysing one's circumstances and coming up with ways to improve them.

It's no coincidence that the movements to gain rights for workers often had education (especially literacy) as a core element.

30p Per Meal on 13:10 - May 12 with 1999 viewsgalacticoblue

30p Per Meal on 10:59 - May 12 by BigCommon

Had lentils and veg in pressure cooker last night (often do with Spanish influence) - fed 6 people, ingredients cost = £2
30p Per Meal on 13:22 - May 12 with 1950 viewsJ2BLUE

On a related note, when I was at my previous job they blocked most of the internet but MoneySavingExpert was one of the few sites they didn't block so I spent a lot of time on there out of boredom (it was retail and there was nothing to do).

If anyone is struggling, the 'old style money saving' sub forum could work magic with a few cheap basics.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

30p Per Meal on 14:04 - May 12 with 1862 viewsBlueBadger

30p Per Meal on 09:06 - May 12 by footers

My considered opinion is that Lee Anderson is a heartless c**t.

Careful, you'll set off the more delicate of our posters who object strongly to using nasty words to describe the openly corrupt and criminally inclined incompetent bigots that they've been voting for.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024