Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? 10:10 - May 13 with 4463 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Working, so probably won't get to see too much of the touristy stuff, but might be able to do some in down-time. I'll be honest I know next to nothing about SA. I've heard of Table Mountain!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:19 - May 13 with 2991 viewsMeadowlark

I've been there for work a couple of times.
Don't walk after dark.
There is a whistle-stop tourist bas that takes you round the city and up the mountain. Only takes a couple of hours.
Robben Island.
V & A Waterfront for eating/drinking.
Some nice vineyards out in the surrounding countryside, but not sure this is the best time of year for visiting them.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:24 - May 13 with 2976 viewsIpswichKnight

So much more to see!

Botanical gardens are lovely for a walk, Cape point is always worth a visit, go over Chapmans peak and drive back either via Hout Bay or Muizenberg. Drive further down the coast to Boulders and visit the Penguin colony. Loads of food outlets on the waterfront complex. Lastly take one of the yacht trips out into bay for an evening cruise.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:38 - May 13 with 2958 viewskiwiblue

Hi hav,e a good trip.
Table mountain is great on a clear day but often has a rolling cloud that doesn't clear. walk up from Kirstenbosch area is better than the front face Scarborough and the point are good
Stellenbosch is good for wine and food Hermanus for whales july onwards but has great scenery.
The Garden route is a great longer trip especially a place called Wilderness Jeffreys Bay for surfing and chilling.
Enjoy

David
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:43 - May 13 with 2939 viewsghostofescobar

Wear a cape.

GhostOfEscobar

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:48 - May 13 with 2925 viewsfooters

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:43 - May 13 by ghostofescobar

Wear a cape.

And be careful how you pronounce 'can't'.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:50 - May 13 with 2922 viewsLeighOnSeaBlue

If you get the chance you must go to Robben Island and you can pick up the boat at the Victoria & Albert Docks
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:17 - May 13 with 2895 viewsParisBlue

Spent a lot of time for work in SA, without doubt my favourite place I've been to for work. Good food, good wine, great climate, nice people, cheap (if being paid in £ and on expenses), strange looking animals. What's not to like?

Hire a car and take a drive, Stellonbosch, the Garden Route or down to to Cape of Good Hope, Boulders Bay and the penguins.

You really can't go wrong...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:25 - May 13 with 2884 viewsEly_Blue

Table mountain is great, so long as the cloud isn’t covering it, the tourist bus is a great shout, the beach at camps bay is great, don’t be fooled by thinking the water will be warm, the weather outside may be 30+ degrees but the water is likely to be not much warmer than the North Sea off the coast of Felixstowe as the current comes up directly from the Antarctic.

If you have time a visit to one of the vineyards of stormhoek or Franschoek is a must.

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Login to get fewer ads

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:44 - May 13 with 2868 viewsWeWereZombies

All of the above recommendations - V&A waterfront, Table Mountain trek (it is reasonably arduous though and you need to set aside half a day for it because a wander around the top is really the point of all that effort of the climb), driving the corniche down to Cape Point etc. but if you do plan to get the boat out to Robben Island it is a good idea to book well in advance, was booked solid when I was in Cape Town (which does give me the excuse to go back to South Africa and complete that bit of the itinerary.)

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:50 - May 13 with 2850 viewsDarth_Koont

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 10:43 - May 13 by ghostofescobar

Wear a cape.

Underrated post.

Pronouns: He/Him

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 12:17 - May 13 with 2816 viewsjaykay

so you got your passport renewed in time then

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 12:39 - May 13 with 2791 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 12:17 - May 13 by jaykay

so you got your passport renewed in time then

No, got an 'Oversight Traveller' form from the Film Industry Visa Assistance NPC - basically an official letter that lets me in despite only 4 months left on the passport, due to it being a work visit.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 12:53 - May 13 with 2767 viewsPhilTWTD

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 12:39 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, got an 'Oversight Traveller' form from the Film Industry Visa Assistance NPC - basically an official letter that lets me in despite only 4 months left on the passport, due to it being a work visit.

The username Cape_Town_Blue is available in case they don't let you back.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:02 - May 13 with 2748 viewsEly_Blue

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:44 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

All of the above recommendations - V&A waterfront, Table Mountain trek (it is reasonably arduous though and you need to set aside half a day for it because a wander around the top is really the point of all that effort of the climb), driving the corniche down to Cape Point etc. but if you do plan to get the boat out to Robben Island it is a good idea to book well in advance, was booked solid when I was in Cape Town (which does give me the excuse to go back to South Africa and complete that bit of the itinerary.)

Take the cable car to avoid the trek up table mountain

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:33 - May 13 with 2722 viewsblueasfook

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 12:53 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

The username Cape_Town_Blue is available in case they don't let you back.

What about CantOrganiseMyLifeBlue?

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:37 - May 13 with 2705 viewsfarkenhell

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:17 - May 13 by ParisBlue

Spent a lot of time for work in SA, without doubt my favourite place I've been to for work. Good food, good wine, great climate, nice people, cheap (if being paid in £ and on expenses), strange looking animals. What's not to like?

Hire a car and take a drive, Stellonbosch, the Garden Route or down to to Cape of Good Hope, Boulders Bay and the penguins.

You really can't go wrong...

I'll second all of that. Also, there are a couple of decent eateries in Camps Bay, overlooking the beach and sea.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:39 - May 13 with 2704 viewsfarkenhell

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:44 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

For the physically challenged (ie - lazy beggars like me!) there is a lift that gets you to the top (and back) in a few minutes.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:40 - May 13 with 2702 viewsfarkenhell

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:02 - May 13 by Ely_Blue

Sorry, didn't spot yours before I posted the same.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:55 - May 13 with 2680 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:33 - May 13 by blueasfook

What about CantOrganiseMyLifeBlue?

Have you ever considered TosspotBlue?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 14:07 - May 13 with 2658 viewsbelgablue

I think it all depends on how much time you have. Also worth remembering the days aren't as long so gets dark around 18:00/19:00.

The Chapman's peak drive is amazing in the day time but not worth doing overnight. Cape Point vineyard is a nice spot on the route for a glass with views of the ocean, as is the 12 apostles hotel. I'd then drive further on to Kalk Bay for food if you have time.

Stellenbosch is great for wine and food but a distance outside CT - for similar, the Constantia area is pretty much in the city but can feel a world away. In the city there are some fantastic restaurants so depends what you fancy. Don't go out on Long Street, it's rubbish and you could easily get mugged.

Robben Island and Table Mountain great to do. Waterfront is nice but wouldn't put that top of the list.

Enjoy. Very jealous.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 14:44 - May 13 with 2636 viewsblueasfook

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:55 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Have you ever considered TosspotBlue?

Err... no I haven't. Enjoy South Africa!

TWTD Veteran

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:31 - May 13 with 2566 viewsWeWereZombies

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 13:02 - May 13 by Ely_Blue

It is steep but not a long climb, it is not Ben Nevis. You would miss a great approach and a sense of achievement by using the cable car (but most people do use it, way too crowded when you get close to the top station - but as usual there is a stroll to the top and then the crowd thins out as you go the other peaks on the table and it becomes a wonder again.)

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:33 - May 13 with 2568 viewsPhilTWTD

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 14:44 - May 13 by blueasfook

Err... no I haven't. Enjoy South Africa!

Just send me a PM if you do ever fancy the change.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:44 - May 13 with 2534 viewsBloomBlue

If only Fergalsharkey was still around he could give you a full list of the best restaurants in SA
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:46 - May 13 with 2530 viewsblueasfook

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:33 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

Just send me a PM if you do ever fancy the change.

Well... I think it's fairly certain I wont!

TWTD Veteran

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024