Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... 10:20 - May 13 with 4172 viewsKieran_Knows

.. as I know he was well liked at the club (albeit poor management), but he doesn't help himself at times, does he?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 10:27 - May 13 with 3341 viewsOsborneOneNil

What a fall he's had. Can't tell you how pleased I was when he was appointed.
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 10:35 - May 13 with 3256 viewsSeablu

It’s like listening to two people talking at the same time.
Odd that he has more voices than formations.
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 10:37 - May 13 with 3243 viewsTrumptonBlue

Yeah, never warmed to him myself.

One thing I like about McKenna is that he treats interviewers with respect, often saying "thank you" at the end, I've noticed.
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 10:43 - May 13 with 3177 viewsMetal_Hacker

He's really struggling hey

Oh what could've been if Leam had still been with him

He won't be around much longer

Poll: If it were one or the other

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 10:58 - May 13 with 3070 viewsGarv

Doesn't look good.

Not sure I like the way the journo handled it either, though. He probably got what he wanted in that Cook lost his rag but he didn't have to keep pushing him where he'd already said he didn't want to go. A clip of the whole interview would be useful for context.

"I'll ask the questions I want to ask, that's my right" - bore off.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:00 - May 13 with 3025 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 10:58 - May 13 by Garv

Doesn't look good.

Not sure I like the way the journo handled it either, though. He probably got what he wanted in that Cook lost his rag but he didn't have to keep pushing him where he'd already said he didn't want to go. A clip of the whole interview would be useful for context.

Nah, the journalist did nothing wrong.
I admit I think I got Paul wrong... needed his assistant... come on Brexiteers.. on 11:06 - May 13 with 2935 viewsunstableblue

... your turn for some admission of poor decision making?

You'll feel better afterwards
[Post edited 13 May 2022 11:07]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:08 - May 13 with 2928 viewsBasuco

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 10:43 - May 13 by Metal_Hacker

He's really struggling hey

Oh what could've been if Leam had still been with him

He won't be around much longer

I also never warmed to him, I could not understand why he did not push for the play off's rather than blame the players. The fact he struggled here with two very different teams, is struggling even more at Chesterfield and Leam won League 1and is on the up is very telling.
Login to get fewer ads

Not sure I agree on 11:09 - May 13 with 2898 viewsunstableblue

Doesn't look good.

... Cook had refused to do an interview after a horror show recent performance against Torquay.

Following a series of horror show performances.

The fans are absolutely livid with the state of the team's performances.

Frankly are there any other questions that querying why things are going so badly, the reasons for the lack of quality and energy?

Perhaps the journo should have phrased it as in what was he going to change for Woking, but I think he tries to do that at the end.

I do feel for Cook, he is clearly under a lot of pressure.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:10 - May 13 with 2911 viewsportmanking

Doesn't look good.

Bore off? The whole point of a press conference is for journalists to ask the questions that the readership/listeners want answering. It IS his right.
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:14 - May 13 with 2870 viewsclive_baker

Kind of hope they lose on Sunday and Dagenham win, so they miss out on the playoffs. Unlikely scenario I would think given Dagenham are playing Wrexham but you never know. Either way I can't see him getting them up through the p/offs. Wheels well and truly fallen off haven't they, both of Chesterfield and Cook's career.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:14 - May 13 with 2867 viewswkj

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:10 - May 13 by portmanking

Bore off? The whole point of a press conference is for journalists to ask the questions that the readership/listeners want answering. It IS his right.

It is easy to forget this fact as a town fan as Brenner never really did this when the going got tough

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:17 - May 13 with 2820 viewsportmanking

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:14 - May 13 by clive_baker

Kind of hope they lose on Sunday and Dagenham win, so they miss out on the playoffs. Unlikely scenario I would think given Dagenham are playing Wrexham but you never know. Either way I can't see him getting them up through the p/offs. Wheels well and truly fallen off haven't they, both of Chesterfield and Cook's career.

You have to wonder whether Cook feels somewhat robbed. He was flying at Wigan, had built a really strong, cohesive squad and had the rug pulled beneath his feet with the ownership issues. His mentality appears to have caved like a pack of cards ever since.
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:18 - May 13 with 2791 viewsBiGDonnie

What a muppet.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:55 - May 13 with 2604 viewsOsborneOneNil

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:14 - May 13 by clive_baker

If they fail to go up and I think that could be his lot.

Where next?! Assistant to Leam.
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:24 - May 13 with 2438 viewsPhilTWTD

Doesn't look good.

Think I'd probably have moved it on to something PC was happier to talk about and then returned to the areas PC was less happy with later on in a less antagonistic manner. When he was here he used to go into press conferences not wanting to say too much about a particular topic but is a bit too heart on his sleeve so ended up talking about it eventually anyway once he'd got up and running.

On a related note, managers aren't required to give post-match pressers in the National League, which I find surprising.
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:33 - May 13 with 2350 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Doesn't look good.

'Bore Off?'

If Journo's can't ask the probing questions then its a very controlled world we are heading for.
That said, Phil has STILL to ask McKenna about cheese!! So much for probing questions.
[Post edited 13 May 2022 12:34]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:36 - May 13 with 2329 viewsVeggie

Whatever people’s thoughts on him, he did the club a big favour with his Demolition man routine.
[Post edited 13 May 2022 12:47]
Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:39 - May 13 with 2315 viewsDarth_Koont

Hmmm. I thought it was a pretty crap interview and doesn’t gibe at all with the innocent way the reporter framed it in the tweet.

He didn’t ask Cook about the reasons for their current form, he gave his own reasons and then asked Cook to comment on them.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:50 - May 13 with 2224 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I got a lot of flack for my position on Cook but the man man has sadly become a parody of himself.

I seriously worry about his mental health. He seems to take it all so incredibly personally. And that's not good. If I were a mate of his I'd be saying take 6 months off and come back stronger. He's like someone who has had his whole view on who he is pulled out from under him.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:53 - May 13 with 2216 viewsGarv

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:24 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

Think I'd probably have moved it on to something PC was happier to talk about and then returned to the areas PC was less happy with later on in a less antagonistic manner. When he was here he used to go into press conferences not wanting to say too much about a particular topic but is a bit too heart on his sleeve so ended up talking about it eventually anyway once he'd got up and running.

On a related note, managers aren't required to give post-match pressers in the National League, which I find surprising.

That tells me you're more level headed than this chap. Antagonistic is a good way to describe him in that clip, if he'd wanted to get more out of Cook he could have easily moved on. He's not the most articulate in the way he deflects but he gave him plenty of chances.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 12:58 - May 13 with 2177 viewsfooters

He's had a rough old time of it and clearly under a lot of pressure. Hard not to feel for him on a personal level but that clip really doesn't paint him in the best light. The interviewer could have been a bit more tactful, mind you.

Always seemed a good egg to me so wish him the best.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 13:15 - May 13 with 2071 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 11:10 - May 13 by portmanking

Yeah but if you want answers from the manager you need to be a bit more tactful and less aggressive about it. Cook could too, but he doesn't need the questions as much as the journalist needs the answers. If he he's asked 5 negative questions in a row then Cook probably has a point. I wonder if the fact this is being filmed has an influence on it - almost like the journalist doesn't really want the answers, he wants to rile the manager. Stock manager-speak doesn't get the clicks, this does.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 13:18 - May 13 with 2045 viewsclive_baker

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 13:15 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah but if you want answers from the manager you need to be a bit more tactful and less aggressive about it. Cook could too, but he doesn't need the questions as much as the journalist needs the answers. If he he's asked 5 negative questions in a row then Cook probably has a point. I wonder if the fact this is being filmed has an influence on it - almost like the journalist doesn't really want the answers, he wants to rile the manager. Stock manager-speak doesn't get the clicks, this does.

Must've been an element of that. Bet the journo had a massive boner at the prospect of sticking that on twitter and, as you say, getting far more engagement than the standard 'Woking will be a tough test' tripe.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Paul Cook ... I don't like to talk bad of him... on 13:36 - May 13 with 1903 viewsSitfcB

Finished manager.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024