Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. 14:38 - May 16 with 737 viewsMattinLondon

In a couple or so weeks time we’re popping to Newquay for a weeks holiday.

Just wondering if anyone on here has been there recently and have any recommendations on places to visit, to eat etc. Must be child friendly places for youngsters under six.

Thanks in advance.
Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 14:52 - May 16 with 696 viewsITFC_Forever

Been down that part of the world hundreds of times, when I get a moment, I'll update this thread with some ideas.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 15:02 - May 16 with 665 viewsMattinLondon

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 14:52 - May 16 by ITFC_Forever

Been down that part of the world hundreds of times, when I get a moment, I'll update this thread with some ideas.

Thank you kindly.
Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 22:16 - May 16 with 544 viewsITFC_Forever

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 15:02 - May 16 by MattinLondon

Thank you kindly.

Sorry, been a busy day!

Newquay itself is ok, but nothing more…

Fistral beach is a nice enough beach, but car-parking is expensive, as is the car parking and food and drink outlets.

There’s plenty of better beaches not far away, Lusty Glaze, Watergate Bay, Perranporth, Mawgan Porth and Porth to name several nearby, and further afield, Trevone, Polzeath (my personal favourite), although be honest, you’re doing pretty well to find a bad beach in Cornwall.

All the ones I mention except Porth are good for bodyboarding which even young kids will enjoy, if they’re confident swimmers, I think most surf schools will teach them from 6 years old and most will get them standing up after one lesson.

Away from the beach, Newquay Zoo is decent enough, Springfield farm is excellent for the touchy-feely farm experience with lots of animals to hold and stroke etc.
Healey’s cider farm is ok as well, it’s where the Rattler is from.

Further away, the Camel Trail is good, you can hire bikes, including stabilisers / tag-alongs / trailers, at Padstow, Wadebridge or Bodmin…. I would personally avoid Padstow during the day as it gets very busy, but if you get there for 4-5pm, a pint and some fish and chips (go to Chip Ahoy, not Rick’s) by the quay is very pleasant.

Hope that’s a good start for you!

[Redacted] on 08:13 - May 17 with 464 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 09:18 - May 17 with 428 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Eden Project is the obvious one. Fistral beach is lively but can’t remember if it has much to amuse kids.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 09:30 - May 17 with 417 viewsLeoMuff

Crantock is a great beach for young ones, cool dunes, some safe paddling areas for little ones, free if national trust members, get there early though as very busy on a sunny day. Lappa valley good for under 6s and so it Bodmin went worth railway, also camel trail and screech owl sanctuary. Eden is a great day for under 6s to explore.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 09:47 - May 17 with 398 viewsITFC_Forever

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 09:30 - May 17 by LeoMuff

Crantock is a great beach for young ones, cool dunes, some safe paddling areas for little ones, free if national trust members, get there early though as very busy on a sunny day. Lappa valley good for under 6s and so it Bodmin went worth railway, also camel trail and screech owl sanctuary. Eden is a great day for under 6s to explore.

Bodmin & Wenford Railway is an excellent shout.... can't believe I forgot that one, as my Grandad was a signalman at Boscarne Junction when the passenger trains ran to Padstow until Beeching made his cuts.

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 09:48 - May 17 with 396 viewsITFC_Forever

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 09:18 - May 17 by GlasgowBlue

The Eden Project is the obvious one. Fistral beach is lively but can’t remember if it has much to amuse kids.

I've only been to Eden project once, and it's great if you like plants.

Although they do have quite a good interactive centre for children as well.

Login to get fewer ads

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 09:49 - May 17 with 395 viewsITFC_Forever

Further down, the Minack Theatre is well worth a visit, and they often have children's matinees on during the week, especially in the school holidays.

Down that way, Gweek seal sanctuary is also good.

Holiday ideas needed again - Newquay. on 10:17 - May 17 with 373 viewsFenland_Blue

We have been going to St Ives for years, my two girls enjoy going to-

The Seal sanctuary in Gweek. (feeding time is fun)
Pendennis Castle in Falmouth. (ww2 themed)
Lands End. (go and see the nice old fella down by the farmyard area who sells clay kits)
The Lost Gardens of Heligan. (lots of walking)
Cornwall Gold and Tolgus Mill in Redruth. (nice breakfast)
Penwith pitch and putt (Football golf, crazy golf and 9 short-hole golf)
Paradise park in Hayle. (birds, farmyard animals and large soft play area)
Hells mouth café near Hayle. (nice food)
Callestick Farm Ice Cream in Callestick near Truro. (great ice-cream, close to Healeys Cider farm)
Dairyland farm in Newquay. (Pony rides, feed farm yard animals and quite a few different play areas)
The Badger Inn near St Ives. (lovely food)
Philps Pasties Shop in Hayle (always a long queue)
Sanders fish & chips in Hayle (pre-order online as it's cooked fresh to order)

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024